Mother Pukka - Anna Whitehouse

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
In terms of WHO definitions, there’s no time limit on post partum depression/psychosis.
Depends what you mean by time limit. Can a patient be diagnosed with puerperal psychosis retrospectively, on the basis of a them self-reporting about symptoms experienced several years ago?

Because the consensus in this thread is no. It’s such a severe illness that it’s unthinkable that MP was suffering from PP and wasn’t diagnosed.

I agree that there’s no time limit for PND, and people can be suffering in silence for years, but PP is a different kettle of fish.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
In terms of WHO definitions, there’s no time limit on post partum depression/psychosis.
PPP is within a set time limit post delivery, certainly not a year later and cannot be diagnosed retrospectively ....it is a psychiatric emergency as mother and baby are deemed at risk

• Heart
Reactions: 4
This story is a really good insight into ppp. It took this woman's family some time to recognise (or acknowledge) there was a serious problem. I imagine this was probably the case with MP too. She's always struck me as ridiculously high achieving so maybe some of the manic behaviours she was displaying were not initially beyond the realms of normal for her.
I know she absolutely doesn't owe anyone her full story, of course that is hers to own, but it would be such a positive thing if she gave a full account of her psychosis, rather than silly soundbites about crisp packets. It is really important to educate people about this condition and mothers' stories are the best way to do this. Though I dare say there will be a book all about her experience some day. Always best to monetise this things 🙄

Reactions: 7
I’m surprised MP hasn’t jumped onto this thread yet. She was very quick off the mark with the Mumsnet threads, which were usually about the ODs or Instamums in general. She was always applauded for joining the debate so I won’t be surprised if she joins us here.
She’s been very quiet the past days so I’d say she’s preparing her defense.

Reactions: 3
This story is a really good insight into ppp. It took this woman's family some time to recognise (or acknowledge) there was a serious problem. I imagine this was probably the case with MP too. She's always struck me as ridiculously high achieving so maybe some of the manic behaviours she was displaying were not initially beyond the realms of normal for her.
I know she absolutely doesn't owe anyone her full story, of course that is hers to own, but it would be such a positive thing if she gave a full account of her psychosis, rather than silly soundbites about crisp packets. It is really important to educate people about this condition and mothers' stories are the best way to do this. Though I dare say there will be a book all about her experience some day. Always best to monetise this things 🙄
She did take it upon herself to post the exact date of her doctors appointment. I don't understand why something people don't need to know the detail of gets shared but something very serious like an explanation of what postpartum psychosis actually is... doesn't. It all feels a bit 'useful' for her and her marketing. Giving no real insight into what it is and pointing depressed mums towards some cartoon brains is lazy, even for a 'high functioning' depressive

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I'm going to reserve judgement on the MH side of things as I think someone would need to be extremely desperate to promote themselves by fabricating illness.
I do believe the Pukka brand is a very well oiled machine, but in saying that I like her because she was always very transparent wrt insta being a platform for her, she was never just an accidental instamum like the others. I suppose for that reason I unfollowed her, although she raised some interesting points it was all a bit corporate for my liking. I do imagine she's a really nice person irl, she is known for always replying to dm's, again that might be a PR stunt though.

Can I ask what this constant referral to a crisp packet is all about?

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I don’t doubt her MH diagnosis, and I wouldn’t wish it on anyone. My issue is using the diagnosis to conveniently sell her new book, so she has a marketing angle for PR.

• Heart
It’s not unthinkable. I don’t want to debate the diagnosis as it’s a little close to home and I do understand the confusion. However, given personal experience with PP that can happen.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I'm going to reserve judgement on the MH side of things as I think someone would need to be extremely desperate to promote themselves by fabricating illness.
I do believe the Pukka brand is a very well oiled machine, but in saying that I like her because she was always very transparent wrt insta being a platform for her, she was never just an accidental instamum like the others. I suppose for that reason I unfollowed her, although she raised some interesting points it was all a bit corporate for my liking. I do imagine she's a really nice person irl, she is known for always replying to dm's, again that might be a PR stunt though.

She’s told the same story a few times about seeing her girls playing with an old crisp packet and realising the joy in the mundane. Or words to that effect.

Replying to DMs is a tactic. Also following people and immediately muting so they don't clog up her feed but she looks like she's mingling with the plebs. I wouldn't like to say she outright lied about MH either but clearly something doesn't feel right. Maybe she could have said something like 'my doctor said if I'd have carried on the way I was it could have led to psychosis' or something. That would have made more sense. And then given an explanation of what exactly that is. Instead it sounded like she was using it to make it sound more serious than boring old pnd.

• Heart
I don’t doubt her MH diagnosis, and I wouldn’t wish it on anyone. My issue is using the diagnosis to conveniently sell her new book, so she has a marketing angle for PR.
I see your point but if the book is related to her struggles I get why she’s doing it. I’d more concerned if she was using her MH to see someone else’s product like potatoes. I remember she popped up on MN and was very respectful to people. I hope she does come here so we can ask her. Can’t imagine her behaving the way Jack Monroe did 😂

PPP is within a set time limit post delivery, certainly not a year later and cannot be diagnosed retrospectively ....it is a psychiatric emergency as mother and baby are deemed at risk
Can you tell me where in that article it states that you can not be diagnosed retrospectively? I might be missing it. It says symptoms can last up to 12 months. I am aware of that happening and retrospective diagnosis so I disagree with the above.

Replying to DMs is a tactic. Also following people and immediately muting so they don't clog up her feed but she looks like she's mingling with the plebs. I wouldn't like to say she outright lied about MH either but clearly something doesn't feel right. Maybe she could have said something like 'my doctor said if I'd have carried on the way I was it could have led to psychosis' or something. That would have made more sense. And then given an explanation of what exactly that is. Instead it sounded like she was using it to make it sound more serious than boring old pnd.
Exactly this.

Let’s not forget she is a writer as is her husband AND they have an agent. Getting the right words out is really important, but especially so under this set of circumstances. There are people out there, very vulnerable people, who hang on her every word. Her PND and PP post was huge and really prolific. She said she’d thought long and hard about it. At best it was sloppy and lacking, but authors and journalists with agents would surely have some editorial help? When you are making a big statement for your platform you do think long and hard about what you are writing because there will always be folk like us. So you do your due diligence, you think about the trigger affect, you think about covering the story to ensure it doesn’t come across as disingenuous that it’s caring etc. You’d do that for any type of bold statement, but an issue as complexed and emotive as PND and PP, you’d double up on every check mechanism available to you.

Like I said up thread, I knew nothing about PP before this but I do know about PND. From what I’ve taken from here, what I’ve researched since, they are two very different illnesses that require two different medical approaches and should not be thrown together like they are one and the same.

I don’t know what her medical situation is other than what she reveals on her business account on Instagram or in articles, radio and TV interviews. I can’t refute any of what she has said but the timing of her revealing her medical conditions is my main cause for scepticism.

@SansaStark I understand her book is about the rise and fall of influencers and influencers life, I’m not sure it’s about her MH, but if it is that would make more sense.

• Heart
Exactly this.

Let’s not forget she is a writer as is her husband AND they have an agent. Getting the right words out is really important, but especially so under this set of circumstances. There are people out there, very vulnerable people, who hang on her every word. Her PND and PP post was huge and really prolific. She said she’d thought long and hard about it. At best it was sloppy and lacking, but authors and journalists with agents would surely have some editorial help? When you are making a big statement for your platform you do think long and hard about what you are writing because there will always be folk like us. So you do your due diligence, you think about the trigger affect, you think about covering the story to ensure it doesn’t come across as disingenuous that it’s caring etc. You’d do that for any type of bold statement, but an issue as complexed and emotive as PND and PP, you’d double up on every check mechanism available to you.

Like I said up thread, I knew nothing about PP before this but I do know about PND. From what I’ve taken from here, what I’ve researched since, they are two very different illnesses that require two different medical approaches and should not be thrown together like they are one and the same.

I don’t know what her medical situation is other than what she reveals on her business account on Instagram or in articles, radio and TV interviews. I can’t refute any of what she has said but the timing of her revealing her medical conditions is my main cause for scepticism.

@SansaStark I understand her book is about the rise and fall of influencers and influencers life, I’m not sure it’s about her MH, but if it is that would make more sense.
In the same way I find it a bit careless for people to be discounting her diagnosis and questioning her timings on a gossip forum - simply for the fact someone could be reading this and use it to discount a rather serious MH problem.

That said; it wouldn't be up here for discussion if MP hadn’t published it and timed it so closely with her book launch.

It certainly would make more sense if her book discusses the impact of the Insta Mum brigade on mental health issues for new Mums. That does mean one of us will need to read it. 🤦‍♀️ Who’s game?

Exactly this.

Always a voice of reason dear @Dogmuck

The whole industry is so shady. I feel quite disappointed as MP has always come across as genuine unlike most. She’s handled herself so differently to how Glen did. I feel rather foolish for ever having believed it. I thought I’d become quite savvy thanks to Tattle but there are still plenty of tricks I’m unaware of 😔

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Always a voice of reason dear @Dogmuck

The whole industry is so shady. I feel quite disappointed as MP has always come across as genuine unlike most. She’s handled herself so differently to how Glen did. I feel rather foolish for ever having believed it. I thought I’d become quite savvy thanks to Tattle but there are still plenty of tricks I’m unaware of 😔
You’re right Sans, the whole industry is shady. It’s just a huge money go round which is dominated by wealthy MC white mothers. I think Anna is just more sleek and far more intelligent than Glen. It’s the same MO by all of them, which is to highly monetise their platform, the manner in which they do it differs but ultimately they are not in it for the LoLs or the greater good.

I think Glen showed her contempt for everyone, not least on here as Alice, but at various functions etc. I think people (instamums) caught on very quickly that she was nothing like the persona she’d tried to create and was universally disliked. What you have to remember is that Glen had no formal media training or knowledge of the industry and that ultimately was her downfall. She should have stuck with midwifery and what she knew and I think she’d still be around.

Conversely Anna’s entire career has been based in the media, she’s polished, she knows what sells. Fair play she’s utilised that to build her persona and platform and it’s worked out really well for her and her family. Maybe like Glen she has become complacent and thinks that she’s beyond reproach. Like someone said earlier, the Pukkas have misread this issue and may live to regret it. I personally don’t think they will, they work in media they know about damage limitation and will bounce back to some degree.

Times are definitely changing for the instamomas and people are no longer blindly drawn in and follow these, supposed, relatable girls next door. And I believe we have Glen to thank for that 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I don't agree that she's always been genuine. Back in the day when she 'forgot' to enrol her first child in school so 'had' to homeschool. Didn't believe it

• Haha
Reactions: 11
I see your point but if the book is related to her struggles I get why she’s doing it. I’d more concerned if she was using her MH to see someone else’s product like potatoes. I remember she popped up on MN and was very respectful to people. I hope she does come here so we can ask her. Can’t imagine her behaving the way Jack Monroe did 😂
She’s literally using it to sell potatoes and that’s the problem. Gusto ad right after her mental health issues announcement.

Reactions: 10
She’s literally using it to sell potatoes and that’s the problem. Gusto ad right after her mental health issues announcement.
I feel like a right tit for even contemplating defending her *hangs head in shame* you’re all right of course and I agree with everything you’ve all said here. It’s funny how they look once the blinkers are off.

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.