Mother in law experiences? Share them! 🤣

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Yes put your mil & her weak son out the door & get your locks changed ASAP. Sonny boy will then make sure he doesn’t miss any tradespeople getting his mother’s home ready for her. As for caring for her, leave him to it. Good luck.
Yeah, I would have either asked hubby to leave or terminated the tenancy on where you live. Drastic measures are needed.

Reactions: 7
Me again - my MIL pissed me off today cos she had asked me to take the baby round to hers. I was all ready to go, rang her, she was acting all weird on the phone. 'Not well' apparently. Turned out she was fobbing me off cos her fella had decided last minute he was coming round. For a hair cut 🤣 that's what they all say!

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 9
I know right. Somebody I work with, his mum fell ill and lost some of her abilities, he took two days off work and the mum is now living independently alone. I feel like I’m being strung along completely but aside from physically throwing her out on the street I feel like I’m trapped in a cycle of ‘next week’
I'd sling her and her little sunbeam out on their backsides; Enough is enough!!!

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Ive fell out with mine last night, i had my gender scan yesterday and i gave her the sex in the envelope without me knowing to open on the day of the gender reveal party to make the cake to cut into.
shes only just gone and opened it two weeks prior so now she knows and then went and told her daughter (sis in law) .

bloody fuming

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 26
Ive fell out with mine last night, i had my gender scan yesterday and i gave her the sex in the envelope without me knowing to open on the day of the gender reveal party to make the cake to cut into.
shes only just gone and opened it two weeks prior so now she knows and then went and told her daughter (sis in law) .

bloody fuming
yes, that's tit

Reactions: 6
Last night my husband and I were just settling down to watch the final episode of 'Murder at the cottage' when MIL rang him, to go around and change a lightbulb in the SPARE ROOM! Apparently it had to be done immediately and naturally the idiotic Mummy's boy that I'm married to ran straight round to do it :mad:
So as soon as he'd fucked off, I watched the final episode myself and he can piss off to MIL's if he decided he wants to watch it tonight. I'm sick of the pair of them.

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 18

bloody fuming
Not surprised you’re fuming, bad enough she opened it early let alone then telling your SIL!

• Angry
Reactions: 7
I used to like my sort of MIL until a few months ago. I used to get her a flower subscription for Birthdays and Christmas but I am going to step back for a while.

I was having a bit of a tit time and felt lonely. My partner always seemed to be working and when he wasn't he'd be doing something else. We had a rough time because I wanted to spend time with him going on actual dates or just doing something other than sitting next to him doing my own thing while he plays games. Think arguing and/or a tense atmosphere. His argument was that "we live together, that's the same as spending time together" in my eyes that is not the same, anyone can see that surely? Lots of people have roommates they don't know...

Anyway, he decided to tell me that he spoke to his mum about our situation (very unlike him) and apparently she thinks I'm "extremely clingy" and "living together is the same as spending time together and I need to get over it" and he also told me various other crappy comments I can't remember. Tbh I'm not sure why he told me this. Probably to prove his stupid point?!

But anyway, I bit back at him saying she would say that as she's treated like a bleep by his dad (😂 lots of history there) I then swiftly deleted her number and haven't spoken to her since he told me. Not that she's tried to contact me or anything.

Me and him are fine now but I am trying to avoid anything to do with his mum, such as going to visit etc because "she's his mum, if he spends time with her and I live with him, it's the same as going to see her"

Stupid and petty logic but I cba. I'll stick to my own family and avoid the mamas boy drama 😂

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 11
I used to like my sort of MIL until a few months ago. I used to get her a flower subscription for Birthdays and Christmas but I am going to step back for a while.

I was having a bit of a tit time and felt lonely. My partner always seemed to be working and when he wasn't he'd be doing something else. We had a rough time because I wanted to spend time with him going on actual dates or just doing something other than sitting next to him doing my own thing while he plays games. Think arguing and/or a tense atmosphere. His argument was that "we live together, that's the same as spending time together" in my eyes that is not the same, anyone can see that surely? Lots of people have roommates they don't know...

Anyway, he decided to tell me that he spoke to his mum about our situation (very unlike him) and apparently she thinks I'm "extremely clingy" and "living together is the same as spending time together and I need to get over it" and he also told me various other crappy comments I can't remember. Tbh I'm not sure why he told me this. Probably to prove his stupid point?!

But anyway, I bit back at him saying she would say that as she's treated like a bleep by his dad (😂 lots of history there) I then swiftly deleted her number and haven't spoken to her since he told me. Not that she's tried to contact me or anything.

Me and him are fine now but I am trying to avoid anything to do with his mum, such as going to visit etc because "she's his mum, if he spends time with her and I live with him, it's the same as going to see her"

Stupid and petty logic but I cba. I'll stick to my own family and avoid the mamas boy drama 😂
It sounds like we have a similar MIL, or partner :(
My FIL was lovely though. He passed away a couple of years ago and I really hope he is 'resting in peace' now because he got precious little of it for the fifty something years he was married to her.

• Sad
Reactions: 6
My FIL was lovely though. He passed away a couple of years ago and I really hope he is 'resting in peace' now because he got precious little of it for the fifty something years he was married to her.
Oh I'm sorry to hear that 😔 I hope he is too.

My bf is alright now, he's actually trying. I was just a bit shocked and hurt (Ngl) when he told me because I always thought she was reasonable and could see both sides of an argument. But nah, women and their sons 🙄

ETA - Mums and their sons * I don't mean all women I just mean the old overbearing mum cliche

• Sad
Reactions: 2
Oh I'm sorry to hear that 😔 I hope he is too.

My bf is alright now, he's actually trying. I was just a bit shocked and hurt (Ngl) when he told me because I always thought she was reasonable and could see both sides of an argument. But nah, women and their sons 🙄
Mine's got blinkers on when it comes to his sodding mother.
In his eyes she can do no wrong :rolleyes:

• Sad
Reactions: 9
I live with mine and have done for 4 years nearly. I had no other choice as to be with my partner meant running away from home at 17 and going against my family’s wishes. I’m grateful she’s allowed me to stay but god she can be horrible. I feel like I’m walking on egg shells all the time. I’m a full time uni student and my partner works full time (he wanted to continue to study but was unable to due to his mum’s constant demands). When I first moved in we barely had £20 between us every two weeks yet his mum would constantly moan about how she was short on money! She ups our rent every single month just because she can. I’m desperate to move out but it’s physically impossible. I was in a dead-end borderline abusive job for 2.5 years and quit last year to focus on my studies. At the moment all we can afford is to continue to live here. Sometimes I don’t know how I actually cope. Especially as I have no family and little friends myself.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 14

bloody fuming
That sounds like a case of what you have got to come with this one :(

• Sad
Reactions: 4
The difference for me is that when my "father" died three months after my mother all I was consumed with was that he couldn't bear her to be happy so he went to try to join her. On the night he died I had the weirdest experience because I couldn't sleep so I don't know if I was awake or whatever else, BUT I saw my mother exactly how I remembered her before she became ill and she just said "Don't worry about Him ruining my peace - THEY wouldn't let him in!!" I am content now knowing that :) She wasted 63 years with that bloody man though :(

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 8
I've mentioned before that mine copies my clothes, which is annoying enough. Yesterday she bought herself a new dress. Luckily for once it's not one that I own. But she sent me a picture on Whatsapp and genuinely wrote "Omg Wilma don't I look LUSH in this dress? I bought it because it reminds me of that gingham one you have but I think this one looks so much nicer".

1. Please, stop looking at my clothes then going out your way to find similar or an exact match
2. Please also stop insulting my clothes when you find a similar one. I don't care if yours is nicer.
3. It doesn't look lush, you look like a table cloth.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 32
My MIL is the Queen of passive aggressive comments and behaviours. My favourite example being she wore white to my wedding :sick: but my main issue with her is she’s quite money grabbing, she always asking her kids (my husband included) to give her and the FIL money whenever we go to visit to pay for our food and drinks. So things like Xmas get really expensive! This is all their own doing as she’s never worked a day in her life and the FIL does these weird contracts for a friend and it’s not really work. She then complained to my mum (who let us live with her rent free for years to save for our own flat) about how much money her son has to spend on me (I pay my own way and have a good job) and living in London and she wished my parents would contribute more. My mum didn’t go there but I wish she’d said it to me:mad:

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 13
We're - well, I'm! - renovating our bathroom at the moment. I have heaps of ideas of how to give it a fresh new look and am currently implementing those. (I'm giving myself a budget of $500 to paint the bath and vanity, redo the floor, add freestanding shelves, install a new heated mirror and towel rails, and change the taps ... so far, because I'm doing everything and am extremely resourceful, picking up near-new or on-sale stuff, I'm going to come in under budget).

En route to the hardware store today, we had to pop in to see my MiL because she rang my husband in a panic about something. She did her usual, "Oh, you look lovely 1001; your cheeks are very full - have you put on weight?" when she saw me ... I just laugh at her little insults now. She's just awful. Anyway, once my husband had dealt with the crisis (being that the wind had pushed her letterbox over), we said we must be off as we had things to do.

She looked very disappointed at that and kept probing as to what we were doing - we're usually reluctant to tell her anything because she's a sticky beak who gets up in everyone's business and is very quick to criticise everything. I blurted out that we were off to get some new taps for our exciting new bathroom renovation, and her face turned white - it was as if I told her something awful. She got all flappy and started talking very quickly, saying she wasn't "aware" we were doing this, before asking how long will it take, how much are we spending, blah blah blah ... it was as if she was suddenly privy to a state secret that was going to impact her greatly. Not answering her questions made her even more cross. While we were out, my husband's sister texted him and had a go at him for our upsetting his mother. I just don't get it ... how on earth does this have anything to do with her?! And now my husband is all sulky because it's my fault that I told her what we are doing. Oh well.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 22
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.