Mother in law experiences? Share them! šŸ¤£

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
@Peaches_xox has she moved?!?!
No ā˜¹ā˜¹ I am beyond fed up. Thursday night I asked my fella is everything in place for your mum to go home he said yes. Friday night I asked him whatā€™s the plan, he said sheā€™s going home Sunday. Saturday comes and it gets to the evening so I ask him what time heā€™s moving her back tomorrow and he goes ā€˜well her care hasnā€™t been transferred over so she canā€™tā€™ I was like right so why say sheā€™s going home when sheā€™s not. Text his auntie (mums sister) to say listen here love you lot are taking the piss (but politely) she didnā€™t even reply. Monday comes and my fella phones the social worker who arranges the care, sheā€™s on annual leave for a week returning next Monday so it wonā€™t be until at least then but at this point I feel like thereā€™ll be something else.
The care is going from 1x a day to 4x a day else Iā€™d phone the care office myself and say this is her address send carers here. Apparently social worker is required to switch on 4x a day care?! duck knows at this point

• Sad
  • Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 15
No ā˜¹ā˜¹ I am beyond fed up. Thursday night I asked my fella is everything in place for your mum to go home he said yes. Friday night I asked him whatā€™s the plan, he said sheā€™s going home Sunday. Saturday comes and it gets to the evening so I ask him what time heā€™s moving her back tomorrow and he goes ā€˜well her care hasnā€™t been transferred over so she canā€™tā€™ I was like right so why say sheā€™s going home when sheā€™s not. Text his auntie (mums sister) to say listen here love you lot are taking the piss (but politely) she didnā€™t even reply. Monday comes and my fella phones the social worker who arranges the care, sheā€™s on annual leave for a week returning next Monday so it wonā€™t be until at least then but at this point I feel like thereā€™ll be something else.
The care is going from 1x a day to 4x a day else Iā€™d phone the care office myself and say this is her address send carers here. Apparently social worker is required to switch on 4x a day care?! duck knows at this point
surely if the adjustments have been made to her home he should go there with her anyway & take care of her there until this is sorted. What does she gain from staying with you when her house is probably better equipped now?

Reactions: 3
So my mother in law hasnā€™t been interested in my pregnancy at all, Iv seen more excitement from someone whoā€™s been told they are about to go on death row. Sheā€™s hardly ever asked how I am or even mentioned baby, she hasnā€™t bought anything for him or asked any questions about the scans/ appointments etc. I saw her last week at 38 weeks pregnant and was there for 2+ hours but she never once asked how I was, made ref to baby or wished me luck. And yet today she sent my mother some flowers for her bday and on text message said sheā€™s soooooo excited for baby! Erm hello!?? Really?!!! Is she just playing mind games or something?!! Iā€™m just so confused cos as far as Iā€™m concerned I donā€™t want her near baby for the first week or so as sheā€™s shown zero interest at all. Even my partner is fed up of her attitude! Iā€™m just abit bemused as to why sheā€™s said that my mum . Wondered if any of you had any ideas?! šŸ¤·šŸ¼ā€ā™€ļøšŸ¤·šŸ¼ā€ā™€ļø
My MIL was the same. No reaction from my pregnancy announcement at all but then text my mum to say how excited she was for us all. As mentioned earlier in this thread, after calling her out on her lack of reaction she sent a card to me saying how pleased for all of us she was. So odd. I do think she struggles to not be centre of attention, yours could be the same?

• Heart
surely if the adjustments have been made to her home he should go there with her anyway & take care of her there until this is sorted. What does she gain from staying with you when her house is probably better equipped now?
Itā€™s that she has a carer come to mine in the morning and sheā€™d have no carers come to here until itā€™s swapped over then sheā€™ll get them 4x a day. The carer washes her in the morning and gets her dressed & does breakfast although of course he can do the breakfast just not the washing / dressing. I mean he says he wants her to go back ASAP because the house is better set up for her needs but Iā€™m not convinced else heā€™d have a bit of urgency about him wouldnā€™t he! All he keeps saying is that this is ā€˜final stretchā€™ šŸ™„

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 8
@Peaches_xox they are beyond taking the piss! Iā€™d be tempted to go and check myself into a hotel for a night (or two) to get away from them

• Heart
Reactions: 11
My MIL was the same. No reaction from my pregnancy announcement at all but then text my mum to say how excited she was for us all. As mentioned earlier in this thread, after calling her out on her lack of reaction she sent a card to me saying how pleased for all of us she was. So odd. I do think she struggles to not be centre of attention, yours could be the same?
It's so strange isn't it???And funny how they both had the same reaction!!
She will ask me about everything else- family, the dog (who she adores), covid etc but she just will not even mention the word baby!!! It's just so bizarre. She does like to be centre of attention i suppose but i wouldn't say she craves it. I swear if I said i was pregnant with a sheepdog she would have been more excited. What's odd is that she's very exciteable!! You know when she's excited and she's very vocal and animated with it. So it makes it even more bizarre. Maybe she just doesn't want to be a nan!!! She's in her late 50s and is dating and going out and she's into appearance and stuff and I do honestly wonder if it doesn't fit in with her self image. But other than that or that she simply doesn't like me....we have no idea what's wrong. Sad because I always liked her and had a good relationship,now I'm beginning to really resent her.

• Wow
Reactions: 4
It's so strange isn't it???And funny how they both had the same reaction!!
She will ask me about everything else- family, the dog (who she adores), covid etc but she just will not even mention the word baby!!! It's just so bizarre. She does like to be centre of attention i suppose but i wouldn't say she craves it. I swear if I said i was pregnant with a sheepdog she would have been more excited. What's odd is that she's very exciteable!! You know when she's excited and she's very vocal and animated with it. So it makes it even more bizarre. Maybe she just doesn't want to be a nan!!! She's in her late 50s and is dating and going out and she's into appearance and stuff and I do honestly wonder if it doesn't fit in with her self image. But other than that or that she simply doesn't like me....we have no idea what's wrong. Sad because I always liked her and had a good relationship,now I'm beginning to really resent her.
Could you ask her outright? Maybe say ā€œMaude, you donā€™t seem very excited about the baby is everything alright?ā€ See what she says back

• Heart
Could you ask her outright? Maybe say ā€œMaude, you donā€™t seem very excited about the baby is everything alright?ā€ See what she says back
I think I'm might have to resort to that because the other half doesn't seem to want to ask. But something isn't right. Just makes me feel uncomfortable and it's upset me so much all throughout the pregnancy,I don't want it to ruin those special newborn moments xx

Reactions: 1
My ex- mother-in-law behaved really weirdly when her belovƩd little sunbeam told her we were having a baby - she burst into tears then rushed out of the room sobbing! Son of course raced after his lovely Mummykins then came back to say that she was "still upset over her friend dying the year before.........................................." and it seems our baby news had upset her even more!

Nearer the truth was that she did not want her little boy to have a child of his own & especially not with ME, however it all changed after our son was born because whenever I had the grand misfortune to have to go and visit the old bat as soon as we got the baby out of the car she would snatch him away then race indoors with me being treated like dirt for the rest of the interminable visit. It seems I had nothing whatsoever to do with the creation of Her Son's Baby! LOL

• Wow
Reactions: 10
@Peaches_xox they are beyond taking the piss! Iā€™d be tempted to go and check myself into a hotel for a night (or two) to get away from them
How funny I literally said yesterday if itā€™s not done soon Iā€™m going to go and stay in a hotel! I canā€™t even be bothered to get my hopes up and think itā€™ll be next week at this point! Canā€™t be much longer though surely šŸ¤žšŸ»

• Heart
My MIL (although not technically my MIL because we donā€™t get married till 2023) is awful!

2 weeks after I had my baby she asked me if Iā€™d weighed myself yet. When I said no she asked if I was putting it off? Then asked when I was planning to go back running. I replied not recommended for 12 weeks after a c section and she responded with, Iā€™m sure itā€™s 6 and you should really get out before then.

Bang on 6 weeks, ā€˜have you been for a run yet?ā€™ I said no because I needed to let my stomach muscles etc heal.

ā€˜Yoga and Pilates will be good for that and itā€™ll yep you get your figure backā€™

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 21
When my Mum moved house, I was able to phone the care company myself and change the address - as long as they have availability in that area, it's no big deal. So she could go home with her one call and your husband or whoever do the rest of the care until all 4 calls are put in place when the Social Worker returns.
If they don't have availability in her area for the calls, then that'll likely be their next excuse and this could go on.. feel for you Peaches but I really think you need to put the foot down. There will always be something otherwise!

How funny I literally said yesterday if itā€™s not done soon Iā€™m going to go and stay in a hotel! I canā€™t even be bothered to get my hopes up and think itā€™ll be next week at this point! Canā€™t be much longer though surely šŸ¤žšŸ»
I would, and expense it to him!

Reactions: 6
Mine just loves to poke her nose into everyone's business. She doesn't have a filter either, which seems to have worsened as she's aged. We popped around to my SiL's house tonight to drop off her birthday present, and my MiL was there, along with some people we don't know. She blurted out - so loudly, that everone stopped talking - "1001, has your sister still got her hemorrhoids?" So rude and inappropriate. I replied that I didn't know and gave her a bit of a look, but she didn't pick up on it and probed further (so to speak). She often does stuff like this - she can't stand not to be the one driving the conversation.

When my SiL opened her present, my MiL asked me where we'd got it from and how much it cost - so rude!

• Wow
Peaches - you say there are constant delays in getting the old bat's place ready for her.

Well the tv channels I watch are a constant stream of ready-meals (that sticky toffee pudding), funeral plans and disability aids to which Acorn Stairlifts are very proud to announce they can install your new stairlift the very next day!!! Interesting eh???? ;)

My ex- mother-in-law behaved really weirdly when her belovƩd little sunbeam told her we were having a baby - she burst into tears then rushed out of the room sobbing! Son of course raced after his lovely Mummykins then came back to say that she was "still upset over her friend dying the year before.........................................." and it seems our baby news had upset her even more!

Nearer the truth was that she did not want her little boy to have a child of his own & especially not with ME, however it all changed after our son was born because whenever I had the grand misfortune to have to go and visit the old bat as soon as we got the baby out of the car she would snatch him away then race indoors with me being treated like dirt for the rest of the interminable visit. It seems I had nothing whatsoever to do with the creation of Her Son's Baby! LOL
Omg that's awful!!!!! What a horrible woman. I do fear this will be my experience however xxx

Reactions: 2
Peaches - you say there are constant delays in getting the old bat's place ready for her.

Well the tv channels I watch are a constant stream of ready-meals (that sticky toffee pudding), funeral plans and disability aids to which Acorn Stairlifts are very proud to announce they can install your new stairlift the very next day!!! Interesting eh???? ;)
I know right. Somebody I work with, his mum fell ill and lost some of her abilities, he took two days off work and the mum is now living independently alone. I feel like Iā€™m being strung along completely but aside from physically throwing her out on the street I feel like Iā€™m trapped in a cycle of ā€˜next weekā€™

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 12
I know right. Somebody I work with, his mum fell ill and lost some of her abilities, he took two days off work and the mum is now living independently alone. I feel like Iā€™m being strung along completely but aside from physically throwing her out on the street I feel like Iā€™m trapped in a cycle of ā€˜next weekā€™
Yes put your mil & her weak son out the door & get your locks changed ASAP. Sonny boy will then make sure he doesnā€™t miss any tradespeople getting his motherā€™s home ready for her. As for caring for her, leave him to it. Good luck.

Reactions: 10
Whenever my MIL sees my son (he's 16 months now) she goes 'awwww are ya tired' at the slightest thing he does, even if he's just woke up from a nap. Like 98% of the time he isn't tired. She then picks him up, holds him towards her and starts swinging him round screeching 'ROCKAAABYEEE BABYYYY' like a banshee. Surprised he's not had whiplash tbh. He never falls asleep when she does it. He's usually like this šŸ˜³ after it. I've gave up trying to tell her he isnt tired, she doesn't listen. Even on facetime if she sees him she goes 'awww are ya tired' I just roll my eyes šŸ˜‚ mad cow šŸ„

• Haha
Reactions: 24
Whenever my MIL sees my son (he's 16 months now) she goes 'awwww are ya tired' at the slightest thing he does, even if he's just woke up from a nap. Like 98% of the time he isn't tired. She then picks him up, holds him towards her and starts swinging him round screeching 'ROCKAAABYEEE BABYYYY' like a banshee. Surprised he's not had whiplash tbh. He never falls asleep when she does it. He's usually like this šŸ˜³ after it. I've gave up trying to tell her he isnt tired, she doesn't listen. Even on facetime if she sees him she goes 'awww are ya tired' I just roll my eyes šŸ˜‚ mad cow šŸ„
Omg this reminds me of every single person when little peaches was a baby, any slight noise and ā€˜heā€™s tiredā€™ some people still do it now and heā€™s bleeping five šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

• Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.