Mother in law experiences? Share them! 🤣

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This thread, wow. Why haven’t any of you ladies drank 6 cans of Stella and just knock their MiL clean out? Jesus.

• Haha
Reactions: 29
I mentioned before we are living at the MiLs while we buy.

Last night she said to me.. since we are splitting bills she’s going to need me to pay a third of her phone bill. WTF. I pay my own mobile phone bill. Why the hell would I pay a third of hers it’s not even a household bill.

Obv I said no but I’m still in shock! She always says these things when my partner is out because she knows he would be pissed off if he was there. When I tell him and he brings it up with her she rewords what she said so it sounds like I got it twisted 🤬

Edited to say the reason she said this is that me and partner are out of contract and paying low monthly cost on older phone models while we save every penny for new house and she’s just got a brand new expensive model contract that she was never going to be able to afford. Apparently that should be my problem too now 🙄

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 20
This thread, wow. Why haven’t any of you ladies drank 6 cans of Stella and just knock their MiL clean out? Jesus.
"Six cans of Mother-in-Law Beater please mr. Shopkeeper!" ;)

I mentioned before we are living at the MiLs while we buy.

Last night she said to me.. since we are splitting bills she’s going to need me to pay a third of her phone bill. WTF. I pay my own mobile phone bill. Why the hell would I pay a third of hers it’s not even a household bill.

Obv I said no but I’m still in shock! She always says these things when my partner is out because she knows he would be pissed off if he was there. When I tell him and he brings it up with her she rewords what she said so it sounds like I got it twisted 🤬

Edited to say the reason she said this is that me and partner are out of contract and paying low monthly cost on older phone models while we save every penny for new house and she’s just got a brand new expensive model contract that she was never going to be able to afford. Apparently that should be my problem too now 🙄
What a bloody sauce! I think you know what she can do with her phone and the contract for it - where the sun don't shine :)

• Haha
Reactions: 8
"Six cans of Mother-in-Law Beater please mr. Shopkeeper!" ;)

What a bloody sauce! I think you know what she can do with her phone and the contract for it - where the sun don't shine :)
Don’t tempt me 😂

Whilst I’m on a rant.. in today’s episode.. she’s in work later and I wanted a nice chilled bath so asked her this morning what time she needs the bathroom to get ready for work. 4pm she said. So 1pm I run a nice relaxing bath and I’m in there for 10 mins when she knocks on the door asking how long I’ll be. I rushed out thinking maybe she’s been called to come in early or something so needs to use it..

Nope. I tell her I’m out and she continues sitting on the sofa watching TV. She’s just used the bathroom 10 mins ago at 2.30pm. Like what’s the point other than to wind me up 🙄

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 9
We're - well, I'm! - renovating our bathroom at the moment. I have heaps of ideas of how to give it a fresh new look and am currently implementing those. (I'm giving myself a budget of $500 to paint the bath and vanity, redo the floor, add freestanding shelves, install a new heated mirror and towel rails, and change the taps ... so far, because I'm doing everything and am extremely resourceful, picking up near-new or on-sale stuff, I'm going to come in under budget).

En route to the hardware store today, we had to pop in to see my MiL because she rang my husband in a panic about something. She did her usual, "Oh, you look lovely 1001; your cheeks are very full - have you put on weight?" when she saw me ... I just laugh at her little insults now. She's just awful. Anyway, once my husband had dealt with the crisis (being that the wind had pushed her letterbox over), we said we must be off as we had things to do.

She looked very disappointed at that and kept probing as to what we were doing - we're usually reluctant to tell her anything because she's a sticky beak who gets up in everyone's business and is very quick to criticise everything. I blurted out that we were off to get some new taps for our exciting new bathroom renovation, and her face turned white - it was as if I told her something awful. She got all flappy and started talking very quickly, saying she wasn't "aware" we were doing this, before asking how long will it take, how much are we spending, blah blah blah ... it was as if she was suddenly privy to a state secret that was going to impact her greatly. Not answering her questions made her even more cross. While we were out, my husband's sister texted him and had a go at him for our upsetting his mother. I just don't get it ... how on earth does this have anything to do with her?! And now my husband is all sulky because it's my fault that I told her what we are doing. Oh well.
Tell your husband to grow a pair and your MiL and sister-in-law to go sit and rotate on an ants nest.

• Haha
Don’t ever see mine. She’s seen her grandchild once and doesn’t bother with her son either. We both feel it’s better off that way!

Cutting out my toxic MIL was one of the best decisions I've made. I could write a novel but a few highlights:
She thought I wasn't good enough for her son and was only after their money (but they had no money anyway). Always making passive aggressive and backhanded comments but "was just joking" or "I didn't mean it like that" when I finally started calling her out.

She threw a surprise blind date family dinner for my husband and a random girl from her cult church after he and I got engaged and made sure he brought me along. No one spoke to me the entire night except for my husband.

She had a meltdown when we refused to move in with her after we got married. She just wanted free childcare and household labor from me. (She had custody of my SIL's 3 children after they were taken by CPS.) We said no way and moved several hours away. Shortly after she begged us to adopt SIL's 4th child after it too was taken away by CPS. We said absolutely not and she tried to create even more drama but I'd had enough and stopped all contact. My husband talks to her occasionally still but I think it would help him to go no contact as well.

• Wow
Reactions: 11
Wow, and I thought my mil was a witch (she was), compared to some of these she was great. After we married I think I saw her about 10 times in 40 years if that. Even that was too much.
The best thing she ever did was drop off her perch, I think she was about 89 then.

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Ive not quite gone THAT far . . Yet.
She did almost get a soaking though recently when she was hovering/interfering behind me whilst I was watering the garden, I'd gone outside to get away from her, she'd arrived unannounced/uninvited a few Saturdays ago and was STILL there 6 hours later!! To have her instructing me how to water my flower beds tipped me over the edge . . Luckily my OH saw my raging face and gritted teeth and quickly led her over the other side of the garden! 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Bit of a different one as it’s about my mum and what my partner experienced when we were first together 😅
I was staying at my boyfriends house one night and I get a phone call the following morning to say my mum had dislocated her finger (long story). I didn’t drive at the time as this goes back 10 years so my boyfriend had to drive me home. We lived with my grandad at the time who rudely asked my boyfriend if he could take my mum to the hospital as he had to go and see his girlfriend 🙄
We got to the hospital and into the treatment room (all 3 of us) and as the doctor is manoeuvring my mums finger back into place she passes out and as she’s passed out she wets herself 😳😳😳
Bearing in mind we’d only been seeing each other a few weeks at this point. He then lent her his jumper to wrap around her waist to hide the wee 🤣 and as we walk out we bump into boyfriends sister who is with her husband (broken hand) and they get introduced to my mum for the first time whilst she’s stood there soaked in piss 🤣🤣🤣
I’m still embarrassed about it although it is just hilarious to think about. We’re still together so can’t have impacted him too much 😅

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 23
Bit of a different one as it’s about my mum and what my partner experienced when we were first together 😅
I was staying at my boyfriends house one night and I get a phone call the following morning to say my mum had dislocated her finger (long story). I didn’t drive at the time as this goes back 10 years so my boyfriend had to drive me home. We lived with my grandad at the time who rudely asked my boyfriend if he could take my mum to the hospital as he had to go and see his girlfriend 🙄
We got to the hospital and into the treatment room (all 3 of us) and as the doctor is manoeuvring my mums finger back into place she passes out and as she’s passed out she wets herself 😳😳😳
Bearing in mind we’d only been seeing each other a few weeks at this point. He then lent her his jumper to wrap around her waist to hide the wee 🤣 and as we walk out we bump into boyfriends sister who is with her husband (broken hand) and they get introduced to my mum for the first time whilst she’s stood there soaked in piss 🤣🤣🤣
I’m still embarrassed about it although it is just hilarious to think about. We’re still together so can’t have impacted him too much 😅
Your partner sounds lovely. A keeper.

Reactions: 17
Wow, and I thought my mil was a witch (she was), compared to some of these she was great. After we married I think I saw her about 10 times in 40 years if that. Even that was too much.
The best thing she ever did was drop off her perch, I think she was about 89 then.
Mine's 80 now. I swear old bat will live to 100.

• Haha
Reactions: 6
Oh christ, mine is only 60 in September. I better not have another 20 odd years of her 🤣.
Although mine has started with the "you never know how long I have left, might not be here next year"

Under my breath I reply, 'ooh fingers crossed, we'd never be that bloody lucky' 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Oh christ, mine is only 60 in September. I better not have another 20 odd years of her 🤣.
Although mine has started with the "you never know how long I have left, might not be here next year"

Under my breath I reply, 'ooh fingers crossed, we'd never be that bloody lucky' 🤣
At least I almost never had to see mine, even our kids referred to her as ‘dad’s mother’😉and rarely saw her. If they passed her in the street they would not have even realised. Her loss.

• Sad
Reactions: 5
I used to like my sort of MIL until a few months ago. I used to get her a flower subscription for Birthdays and Christmas but I am going to step back for a while.

I was having a bit of a tit time and felt lonely. My partner always seemed to be working and when he wasn't he'd be doing something else. We had a rough time because I wanted to spend time with him going on actual dates or just doing something other than sitting next to him doing my own thing while he plays games. Think arguing and/or a tense atmosphere. His argument was that "we live together, that's the same as spending time together" in my eyes that is not the same, anyone can see that surely? Lots of people have roommates they don't know...

Anyway, he decided to tell me that he spoke to his mum about our situation (very unlike him) and apparently she thinks I'm "extremely clingy" and "living together is the same as spending time together and I need to get over it" and he also told me various other crappy comments I can't remember. Tbh I'm not sure why he told me this. Probably to prove his stupid point?!

But anyway, I bit back at him saying she would say that as she's treated like a bleep by his dad (😂 lots of history there) I then swiftly deleted her number and haven't spoken to her since he told me. Not that she's tried to contact me or anything.

Me and him are fine now but I am trying to avoid anything to do with his mum, such as going to visit etc because "she's his mum, if he spends time with her and I live with him, it's the same as going to see her"

Stupid and petty logic but I cba. I'll stick to my own family and avoid the mamas boy drama 😂
Sorry that is absolutely awful. Dates/going out are definitely not the same as staying in at home! Sometimes going on dates is what’s needed in a relationship to keep it fun + exciting. Is your partner tight with cash?

you’re definitely not clingy for wanting to go on dates! Communicate with him and say you’d like to try go out even if it’s once or twice a month. duck the mil, she’s probably just jumping at the chance to talk you down and has shown her true colours! But tbh I’d actually ask her about it. If I heard my mil even mentioned my name in a bad way I’d be messaging her and asking her why she’s talking about me

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Sorry that is absolutely awful. Dates/going out are definitely not the same as staying in at home! Sometimes going on dates is what’s needed in a relationship to keep it fun + exciting. Is your partner tight with cash?

you’re definitely not clingy for wanting to go on dates! Communicate with him and say you’d like to try go out even if it’s once or twice a month. duck the mil, she’s probably just jumping at the chance to talk you down and has shown her true colours! But tbh I’d actually ask her about it. If I heard my mil even mentioned my name in a bad way I’d be messaging her and asking her why she’s talking about me
I think it's a case of being physically tired after work and stuff. He's on his feet all day and I'm wfh. He surprised me with a cute picnic one day. We're fine for money and his business is doing well. He's actually spoilt me a bit recently and we're having a better time.

Part of me thought "confront the witch" I'm quite close with one of his sisters and I have a feeling things would change between us if I did. Without being too mean, she bleeping loves drama and has a constant stream in her own personal life. So for once I'm not being me, I'm ghosting her and she's not gonna know why. The thing with him and his family is that they come out with stuff that's quite cutting and never "remember" saying it 🙄 well witch, you've made an enemy for life.

• Haha
Now speaking as A Mother-in-Law I'd never dream of doing any of this stuff to my D-I-L's but then I did have two absolute corkers to base myself on in avoiding their traits, especially the first one who was the biggest old bag in the universe!

I don't see why its necessary to behave in such ways when ultimately all a Mother should want is for their child to find peace and happiness to grow up and raise happy kids of their own and yet some women just thrive on causing all sorts of grief and aggro to their children. Bizarre...................

• Heart
I must be the only person kind of gets on well with my MIL, though we aren't married so she technically isn't my MIL but you know what I mean. :m
The 4 of us, (boyfriend, his mum, dad and I) are all in a whatsapp group which was started before we went to Thailand about 2.5 yrs ago but we do use it regularly, its mainly just pictures of the pets or chatting about our weekend plans. My boyfriends family are all in England, we are in Northern Ireland. His parents are genuinely really nice people, I wish I had some horror stories to tell but I don't. That is probably down to the fact though we don't see them as often as we would like because of the distance and then with covid kind of halting travel. My boyfriend is a bit of a mummy and daddy's boy but then I can't really say anything because I'm the same with my parents. Sorry for my really tame boring story 😟

Reactions: 5
I must be the only person kind of gets on well with my MIL, though we aren't married so she technically isn't my MIL but you know what I mean. :m
The 4 of us, (boyfriend, his mum, dad and I) are all in a whatsapp group which was started before we went to Thailand about 2.5 yrs ago but we do use it regularly, its mainly just pictures of the pets or chatting about our weekend plans. My boyfriends family are all in England, we are in Northern Ireland. His parents are genuinely really nice people, I wish I had some horror stories to tell but I don't. That is probably down to the fact though we don't see them as often as we would like because of the distance and then with covid kind of halting travel. My boyfriend is a bit of a mummy and daddy's boy but then I can't really say anything because I'm the same with my parents. Sorry for my really tame boring story 😟
I would have loved a tame boring story as regards Mother-in-Law Mk1 but she was a tartar - one horrid old baggage All I can say is that where she's gone she won't be needing a cardigan any more :)

• Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.