Mother in law experiences? Share them! 🤣

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’ve always made excuses for my MiL because she can be ok but I feel like I’ve finally snapped and just feel so tit!

she’s so overbearing! My OH is 30 and she treats him like a little boy. Always turning up at our house uninvited, have to go for a meal with her every week, always making excuses to see him. He works away Monday - Friday, after playing football, seeing his mates etc I’m starting to feel like I’m sick of being his last priority.

It’s his birthday today and she was asking me all week if I would get him a bloody cake. Said I would get one yesterday. She was harassing me with phone calls, messages, voicemails etc all day cos I didn’t get a cake until the evening and I’m sick of her always been there. It’s too much she’s an absolute narcissist. In the first lockdown when everyone was been really strict and seeing no one she guilt tripped him in going round to see her cos she was depressed and missed him (lives with her husband so not on her own)um hello we all missed friends and family ?

there’s so many things she does that I could go on about all day. We’ve had an argument because she’s made him go round to see her cos it’s his birthday even though he saw her yesterday and going for a meal tomorrow. I’ve put my foot down and said that’s it now I’m not been forced into seeing her all the time anymore.

I really needed to rant! All my friends/family say they don’t know how I put up with her but he just thinks I’m been nasty to her😞 I’m honestly at the point where I’d rather just be on my own. I’ve got bad depression and he doesn’t give a tit about me but always running round to his mothers!

Honestly word for word reading that I could've written it. I feel so much for you! It's exhausting. Mine is exactly the same she bombards me and I feel like I can't breathe it's insane.

• Sad
Reactions: 2
MIL always making comments about my weight. I am overweight, have lost over 2 stone in recent months and still going. Went tonvisit recetly for the first time since losing weight, couldnt visit due to covid. Got a look up and down, `yeah your losing some weight very slowly`.

Would nearly stop losing weight to spite the witch 😂

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 23
My mother in law I’ve learned is a gossip , judgemental and incredibly negative . Pretty much as soon as she opens her mouth it’s complaining about someone or something . Never anything positive . She’s not a warm friendly person you would want to have a coffee and a laugh with . It’s a shame as my partner is so upbeat , his glass is half full, and he’s non judgemental. Yet he can’t see the error of his mums ways . She says some terrible things sometimes .
I know that she doesn’t like me , it’s always been quite apparent .
Examples , such as not acknowledging me when she walks in the room . Walking off when I’m in the middle of talking . I’ve overheard her on the phone quizzing my partner about what I’m doing ? My job ? where I’m going ? Why doesn’t she just ask me if she’s so interested it’s strange .

I think she just fears that I’m going to be like his ex who hurt him badly and put their family through the emotional wringer when they split.
It’s unfair that I’m being tarnished with the same brush , i am not that person . In the 8 plus years we’ve been together she’s never made any real effort to get to know me despite my efforts . It’s like she thinks we are just a short term thing . She seemed so surprised when we moved in together after 4 years . It could be much worse but it does make me sad .

• Sad
  • Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 7
I’ve never been married but my long term (now ex) boyfriend’s mother used to just ignore me most of the time. She took a dislike to me instantly and when I tell people this they always say it’s cos you were with her son but the truth is that he never had a close relationship with his mother.

The thing that sticks out to me the most and something I will never forget is when he told her that I was pregnant shortly after we bought a house together (which she kindly gave us the solicitor fees towards) and she said, “I told you if I buy you a house you’re not to fill it with children.” Firstly, she did not “buy us” the house, she helped with the solicitor fees which is something she offered to do. Secondly, the fact that she had already said this to my boyfriend in private is disgusting. Thirdly, us having children doesn’t affect her in any kind of way because I never asked her for help of any sort and I still haven’t to this day. If I wanted to have 10 children then I would. And I wouldn’t give a tit whether she wanted me to or not. You can’t tell someone else what to do with their house nor their uterus. It’s just wrong.

I was obviously pregnant at the time and very hormonal and I ended up crying my eyes out because her comment really hurt me. My now ex boyfriend later told me she apologised but I highly doubt that cos she isn’t the type of person who apologises for anything and if she was sorry why didn’t she come to me and say so knowing that she made me cry?

I remember after my daughter was born, MIL and the rest of ex’s immediate family came to see her and someone said they couldn’t tell who the baby looked like and MIL chimed in with, “she looks like her mother” in the most flat and rude tone possible as if she was disappointed that the baby looked like me.

Luckily for her we only had one child and then we split up.

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 13
I’ve never been married but my long term (now ex) boyfriend’s mother used to just ignore me most of the time. She took a dislike to me instantly and when I tell people this they always say it’s cos you were with her son but the truth is that he never had a close relationship with his mother.

The thing that sticks out to me the most and something I will never forget is when he told her that I was pregnant shortly after we bought a house together (which she kindly gave us the solicitor fees towards) and she said, “I told you if I buy you a house you’re not to fill it with children.” Firstly, she did not “buy us” the house, she helped with the solicitor fees which is something she offered to do. Secondly, the fact that she had already said this to my boyfriend in private is disgusting. Thirdly, us having children doesn’t affect her in any kind of way because I never asked her for help of any sort and I still haven’t to this day. If I wanted to have 10 children then I would. And I wouldn’t give a tit whether she wanted me to or not. You can’t tell someone else what to do with their house nor their uterus. It’s just wrong.

I was obviously pregnant at the time and very hormonal and I ended up crying my eyes out because her comment really hurt me. My now ex boyfriend later told me she apologised but I highly doubt that cos she isn’t the type of person who apologises for anything and if she was sorry why didn’t she come to me and say so knowing that she made me cry?

I remember after my daughter was born, MIL and the rest of ex’s immediate family came to see her and someone said they couldn’t tell who the baby looked like and MIL chimed in with, “she looks like her mother” in the most flat and rude tone possible as if she was disappointed that the baby looked like me.

Luckily for her we only had one child and then we split up.
What an absolute controlling witch she sounds! Utterly vile. Glad you don’t have to see her anymore xxx

• Heart
Reactions: 4
My in laws are in South Africa. My mother in law is heavily into QAnon and anti vax stuff. They’ve decided to refuse the vaccine and rely on zinc and invermectin, or whatever is being pushed as the cure/preventer of Covid. That’s up to them, it’s their choice.
However it might mean they aren’t allowed to come into the U.K. freely when more travel is allowed, or they’ll still have to quarantine in a hotel outside Heathrow at £1750 a pop. My father in law won’t pay for that or go for it.
So maybe we won’t see them for a long, long time.
How very sad… 😈😈😈

• Haha
Reactions: 24
Need confirmation that this is weird... So house sitting with my partner at my MIL's house last week. Get a call shortly after I arrive from my boyfriend asking if I'm okay, his mum has seen me on the ring doorbell struggling to get in. Like... ? I had maybe a 2 second moment of confusion with the door and am now in the house, which she would have seen. Surely I would have reached out myself if I was in need of assistance. Also why not call me directly? It's like she knew it wouldn't make sense to contact me as she had seen me get in so called my boyfriend to tell him for reasons unknown.

Then get a call from her that evening asking if I'm okay, she's seen on the ring doorbell that my boyfriend isn't home yet as his car isn't there. Again... ?? I suppose it's coming from a good place but it's really creepy and intrusive to hear that she's actively checking on what we're doing in her house. I got so paranoid that there were hidden cameras everywhere 😂

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 12
Need confirmation that this is weird... So house sitting with my partner at my MIL's house last week. Get a call shortly after I arrive from my boyfriend asking if I'm okay, his mum has seen me on the ring doorbell struggling to get in. Like... ? I had maybe a 2 second moment of confusion with the door and am now in the house, which she would have seen. Surely I would have reached out myself if I was in need of assistance. Also why not call me directly? It's like she knew it wouldn't make sense to contact me as she had seen me get in so called my boyfriend to tell him for reasons unknown.

Then get a call from her that evening asking if I'm okay, she's seen on the ring doorbell that my boyfriend isn't home yet as his car isn't there. Again... ?? I suppose it's coming from a good place but it's really creepy and intrusive to hear that she's actively checking on what we're doing in her house. I got so paranoid that there were hidden cameras everywhere 😂
It would be on the tip of my tongue to say you hardly need me to house sit when you have all this surveillance 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 20

Stirring, no doubt (if she's anything like mine). She'll be saving all this up to tell a good yarn to whoever will listen. You *probably* have a drinking habit (hence your confusion with the door), and your partner is up to no good ... of course none of this is true, but she'll use it to make herself sound more interesting to others. *IF* she's anything like mine.

• Haha
Reactions: 3
My in laws are in South Africa. My mother in law is heavily into QAnon and anti vax stuff. They’ve decided to refuse the vaccine and rely on zinc and invermectin, or whatever is being pushed as the cure/preventer of Covid. That’s up to them, it’s their choice.
However it might mean they aren’t allowed to come into the U.K. freely when more travel is allowed, or they’ll still have to quarantine in a hotel outside Heathrow at £1750 a pop. My father in law won’t pay for that or go for it.
So maybe we won’t see them for a long, long time.
How very sad… 😈😈😈
I bet you are devastated! LOL

• Haha
Reactions: 4
What an absolute controlling witch she sounds! Utterly vile. Glad you don’t have to see her anymore xxx
Unfortunately I do have to see her sometimes when my daughter goes to see her dad. But she just ignores my existence altogether now which is fine by me xx

• Heart
Reactions: 2
So my mother in law hasn’t been interested in my pregnancy at all, Iv seen more excitement from someone who’s been told they are about to go on death row. She’s hardly ever asked how I am or even mentioned baby, she hasn’t bought anything for him or asked any questions about the scans/ appointments etc. I saw her last week at 38 weeks pregnant and was there for 2+ hours but she never once asked how I was, made ref to baby or wished me luck. And yet today she sent my mother some flowers for her bday and on text message said she’s soooooo excited for baby! Erm hello!?? Really?!!! Is she just playing mind games or something?!! I’m just so confused cos as far as I’m concerned I don’t want her near baby for the first week or so as she’s shown zero interest at all. Even my partner is fed up of her attitude! I’m just abit bemused as to why she’s said that my mum . Wondered if any of you had any ideas?! 🤷🏼‍♀️🤷🏼‍♀️

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Peaches is there any update on your situation?
Sadly not but the rails are supposed to be delivered and installed tomorrow (was supposed to be last week but mr peaches missed the delivery!!!!) so by rights she should be heading home this week. Weekend at the latest. I can already see a million excuses why she won’t be going home - maybe I’m just being negative in my head but I don’t wanna get my hopes up if that makes sense xx

• Heart
I stopped wearing my engagement ring a while ago due to weight loss (it was literally falling off in the street so didnt want to lose it!) and my mum and MIL comment on it every single time. Its exhausting. I literally haven't worn it consistently in about 2 years but they are always asking weird questions every time they see us, trying dig out whatever marital problems they believe were having?!
My grandmother didn't even bother with her wedding ring most of the week. It lived on the dining room mantlepiece until Thursday when she would dress up to go into town for some shopping and tea with her friends. She was married pre WW1.

Reactions: 1
Sadly not but the rails are supposed to be delivered and installed tomorrow (was supposed to be last week but mr peaches missed the delivery!!!!) so by rights she should be heading home this week. Weekend at the latest. I can already see a million excuses why she won’t be going home - maybe I’m just being negative in my head but I don’t wanna get my hopes up if that makes sense xx
Where are based , Perhaps us tattlers could come and install the handrails and help move* (*kick) her and Mr Peaches out. Wouldn't take us long 😝

• Haha
Reactions: 9
Where are based , Perhaps us tattlers could come and install the handrails and help move* (*kick) her and Mr Peaches out. Wouldn't take us long 😝
South London 🤣 imagine all the tattlers turning up at my door. Mr Peaches like ‘who are these’ and I’m like ‘my online friends & we all think you lot take the bleeping piss. Take your mother & duck off’ 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 32
South London 🤣 imagine all the tattlers turning up at my door. Mr Peaches like ‘who are these’ and I’m like ‘my online friends & we all think you lot take the bleeping piss. Take your mother & duck off’ 🤣🤣🤣
I have wild visions of us picking up the bed that they’re laying on and carrying them down the road ourselves 😂😂

• Haha
Reactions: 15
There is no love lost between me and mine. She is a manipulative narcissist.

We don't tell her things because she gossips- I had a bleed in my first pregnancy and she told sil who took it upon herself to message my husband... my baby was fine thankfully.

Second pregnancy ended in a late loss, no card or flowers or anything. Said to husband let me know if you need anything but never bothered checking in again to see if she could drop out nappies or anything for our toddler.

When our second child was born via CS, hubby was working away. Home for pat leave then back. I had a 3 year old and a newborn. Still couldn't drive after op and no public transport where we lived. She drove put, shoved cards through the box and drove off. Again, might have been nice to see if we needed nappies, milk, bread etc but no.

I will sound like an absolute witch now but she has lung cancer, it's inoperable so she's getting radio and chemotherapy and making demands on my husband to run her to and fro so he has to rework his work schedule. I know its his mum and she's very poorly but why my husband when she has other kids close by.

It also irks me that even before she was ill she never made an effort to see the kids, we were always expected to take them to see her (3 miles across town) she'd never say "let's go to the park/beach/ forest" yet she'd hightail it across the country for his sister and hers. We even had a message from his sister saying we were keeping the kids from his mum. We weren't at all, husband was assertive with both sister and mum to dispell this and told his mum she needed to make an effort too. Happened maybe once... and she dragged the sister and her kids along!

She did say to husband she wants to spend more time with the kids and then in the next breathe "but you're not just palming them off on me as they don't know me" I was thinking "are you for real, you've never got to know them. Do you really think I would leave my kids with someone they barely know".

Also, FIL died suddenly at home last year, she rang hubby who hightailed over there but what she didn't tell him was that FIL body was still in situ so he walked into the house to be greeted with the sight of his dead dad sat there eyes and mouth open. He'd never seen a dead body before and that took some getting over.

• Wow
  • Sad
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.