Mother in law experiences? Share them! šŸ¤£

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Also why is she going out anywhere at the moment?????
I'm in New Zealand; we do have Covid 'levels' but they're currently set at people being allowed to move relatively freely (until 6am tomorrow morning when a new set of restrictions will come in).

I'm in New Zealand; we do have Covid 'levels' but they're currently set at people being allowed to move relatively freely (until 6am tomorrow morning when a new set of restrictions will come in).
Ooo where in New Zealand
Hoping to move to Dunedin in next couple years x

I don't understand what the problem is with these women šŸ¤® You guys are all troopers for putting up with this, day in and day out.

• Haha
Reactions: 10
Mine is a right pain in the neck!

I live in a huge city which takes two hours to get across town at off-peak time on a good day, and she insists on me dropping whatever I'm doing to take her to her monthly bridge game. There is absolutely no reason why she can't drive over herself; she says the fast-moving traffic scares her but really she just likes everyone to run around after her. The person who used to pick her up and drop her back lived a short distance from my MiL but moved away.

I texted her yesterday to say I had worked an all-nighter so wouldn't be able to pick her up as usual as I was extremely exhausted; I then got a really cranky call from my lazy sister-in-law asking why I'd upset her. I explained that I was not fit to drive and suggested she might like to take her instead ... to which she said she was working from home so couldn't (her 'working from home' is doing nothing - she's just as difficult as her mother). So I rang an Uber to collect her and she refused flatly to go when he turned up. And now I'm the big meanie for ruining her day. Sheesh!

Thankfully my husband sees my point of view. I'll wait until things cool a bit then text her to suggest she make her own arrangements from now on.
God, she sounds SO like my MIL. My MIL can drives, but refuses to. My FIL used to drive her around everywhere until he died a couple of years ago, so now she clicks her fingers at my husband and he does it instead.
Bigger bloody idiot he is :mad:

She goes to an old folks meet up group (in normal times, obviously it's cancelled at the moment) and moaned, bitched and manipulated until she got their minibus to pick her up and take her and drop her home again (the bus didn't usually cover her area as it's the opposite side of the city) Five minutes after wangling the (free) bus, she started moaning that it was coming too early in the morning and that she didn't like being the last one dropped off.

At least your husband is on your side. Mine think the old bag can do no wrong. I swear, he's actually brainwashed by her.

Reactions: 6
Mine is a proper c u next Tuesday...... in the early days when she came round she would say things like oh do you miss mummyā€™s home cooking, if we had a takeaway or I just couldnā€™t be bothered to cook!!!!! Or she would make snide comments like oh Iā€™ve just made dad a cooked breakfast on a Sunday morning if she called !! If for instance we decided to be healthy and have weetabix and toast šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚, can not stand her!!!! And she canā€™t stand me !!
this is the exact same as mine! if he says he loved a meal I cooked she says ā€œitā€™ll be because it reminds you of homeā€œ šŸ˜‚ she Will text me asking how is (her son) but never ask about me

Reactions: 7
this is the exact same as mine! if he says he loved a meal I cooked she says ā€œitā€™ll be because it reminds you of homeā€œ šŸ˜‚ she Will text me asking how is (her son) but never ask about me

It is such strange behaviour isn't it!! If my partner says he likes something I've done. She will go on to ask how I done it - then tell me how she would do it. Even though he's saying he liked it?
It's like she doesn't hear the answer but I know she does.
She does is with my daughter too. Asks how she's sleeping - I say great - she then goes on to tell me how I should get her to sleep?!

It's weird because it's like jealousy but the relationship with your mother and girlfriend/wife should be completed different. There should be no competing šŸ¤Æ

Reactions: 5
It is such strange behaviour isn't it!! If my partner says he likes something I've done. She will go on to ask how I done it - then tell me how she would do it. Even though he's saying he liked it?
It's like she doesn't hear the answer but I know she does.
She does is with my daughter too. Asks how she's sleeping - I say great - she then goes on to tell me how I should get her to sleep?!

It's weird because it's like jealousy but the relationship with your mother and girlfriend/wife should be completed different. There should be no competing šŸ¤Æ
Isn't it interesting that it is always the males mother who is a complete narcissistic control freak?

Reactions: 5
Isn't it interesting that it is always the males mother who is a complete narcissistic control freak?
I was just talking about this with someone, off the back of reading this thread. There has to be psychology in it, like studies conducted.

My own mother talks very differently about my husband (says what a great guy he is etc) versus how she spoke about my brothers ex girlfriend when they were together (really judgemental comments about all aspects of her behaviour, a lot of vaguely slut shaming comments etc)

Reactions: 3
I was just talking about this with someone, off the back of reading this thread. There has to be psychology in it, like studies conducted.

My own mother talks very differently about my husband (says what a great guy he is etc) versus how she spoke about my brothers ex girlfriend when they were together (really judgemental comments about all aspects of her behaviour, a lot of vaguely slut shaming comments etc)
There has to be! I can't ever imagine having a son and treating his partner the way so many MILs seem to treat theirs. But how can so many women be okay with belittling / judging it is insane.

Reactions: 4
Itā€™s like they have an issue with giving up control of their sons šŸ¤·šŸ¼ā€ā™€ļø Iā€™d never feel like I control my daughter, my job is to love, educate and nurture her ready for life outside. I could never imagine making her adult life that uncomfortable that Iā€™d be responsible for her and her partner arguing over my behaviour. Itā€™s just bleeping odd. My MIL pissed in her own chips because now she has a limited relationship with my daughter, sheā€™ll never have another Christmas dinner with her, sheā€™ll never be included in family days out or ever holiday together. She had 12yrs to not act like a bleep but she thought she knew better. Her behavior could never be defended by my husband and he knew if he tried heā€™d end up back at her house, because I certainly would not have put up with arguing about her. My life will never be a repeat cycle of talking / arguing / exhausted by someoneā€™s behavior who is supposed to be family. Not happening, itā€™s a hill I will die on. Now the SIL has cut me off (took me a year to realise šŸ¤£šŸ¤­) because I cut her mother out. Rather than call her mother out it was easier to agree and keep her sweet for babysitting duties. If this pandemic has taught us anything itā€™s that life is too short to put up with bullshit.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Itā€™s like they have an issue with giving up control of their sons šŸ¤·šŸ¼ā€ā™€ļø Iā€™d never feel like I control my daughter, my job is to love, educate and nurture her ready for life outside. I could never imagine making her adult life that uncomfortable that Iā€™d be responsible for her and her partner arguing over my behaviour. Itā€™s just bleeping odd. My MIL pissed in her own chips because now she has a limited relationship with my daughter, sheā€™ll never have another Christmas dinner with her, sheā€™ll never be included in family days out or ever holiday together. She had 12yrs to not act like a bleep but she thought she knew better. Her behavior could never be defended by my husband and he knew if he tried heā€™d end up back at her house, because I certainly would not have put up with arguing about her. My life will never be a repeat cycle of talking / arguing / exhausted by someoneā€™s behavior who is supposed to be family. Not happening, itā€™s a hill I will die on. Now the SIL has cut me off (took me a year to realise šŸ¤£šŸ¤­) because I cut her mother out. Rather than call her mother out it was easier to agree and keep her sweet for babysitting duties. If this pandemic has taught us anything itā€™s that life is too short to put up with bullshit.
duck. What did she do?
Good on you for standing up for yourself and your family šŸ™ŒšŸ»

Reactions: 2
Itā€™s definitely a psychological thing, I believe in my case she has relied on her only son more than her husband which has created a bond where he feels responsible for his motherā€™s happiness... He is so scared of saying no or not answering the phone to her, he agrees with me completely and sees why Iā€™m upset but could never upset his mum. almost to the point I think that heā€™s on eggshells trying not to upset her.
i think because they spend alot of years basically in charge of their sons itā€™s hard to see them rely on someone else, but it confuses me because why isnā€™t she happy sheā€™s got someone willing to carry on the good treatment of her son? she gets jealous, competes and always has a better way of doing things. I wonder if she would prefer me to not do anything at all? But then surely I wouldnā€™t be good enough.
i remember years ago my SIL told me that my MIL had said to her ā€œthe sex must be amazing because she has no crackā€ i was actually disgusted she was thinking of her sons sex life like that then even saying it out loud... I honestly feel like when she speaks about him being a baby and breastfeeding she actually gets joy out of it šŸ˜© itā€™s so disgusting to think of but sheā€™s honestly more like a girlfriend than a mum.
i think boundaries are out of love and no boundaries are a recipe for disaster. Iā€™m in a difficult positon where myself and my partner are ready to take the next steps but Iā€™m already dreading any big life experiences because i know she will hate it/ go out her way to ruin it. I also want my partner to figure this out for himself, I will be just as bad as her if I force him to do anything.

Reactions: 6
I have a son, and it pains me that one day Iā€™ll be the ā€˜mother in lawā€™ - I VOW to be nothing like my own or the ones shared in the thread. I want to be a lovely mother in law whoā€™s helpful and kind but not interfering and doesnā€™t overstep the line.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
The whole of my husbands side of the family drive me mad. His dad doesn't bother calling, doesn't ask after the kids or us but every now and again will turn up unannounced and expect us to listen to his drivel, make him endless coffees and won't bother asking us a single thing about what's going on in our lives. He's definitely undiagnosed on the spectrum, has no ability to read the room and manages to be offensive every time we have the mispleasure of seeing him. And it's not just me who feels this way. My SIL told me the other day he turned up in the middle of the day with nowarning and actually let himself into their home. They could have been shagging on the dining room table for all he knew. My MIL is the queen of empty gestures. Would never dream of picking up the phone to speak to us but will send a sporadic box of generic tat for the kids she doesn't bother to get to know. She quite blatantly favours one of my children over the other as well. It shows in birthday presents and on the rare occasions she actually sees them. Not really surprising though, she's the same with her own children. I don't think I ever forgave her for asking my husband to co-sign a loan while I was pregnant and we were saving for our first house. And as for the rest of his family, users. They've got various trades between them and have basically used my husband as a cash cow in return for an array of poor workmanship. I wouldn't even mind but they definitely don't charge mates rates let alone family and they take about 3 months to get anything done. Phew, feels good to get that off my chest.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 7
Told my in laws we were pregnant with number 3 yesterday. Their reaction, ā€œwowā€ then silence. So awkward on FaceTime. After 5minutes I called her out on her reaction. ā€œYour reactions make me laugh *MIL* itā€™s the same as if we were telling you we were getting a gerbilā€. She said ā€œyeah Iā€™m not good at reacting to thingsā€. Still waiting for a ā€œcongratulationsā€ from my FIL. He hasnā€™t quite managed that following any of our pregnancy announcements šŸ™„šŸ¤¦šŸ¼ā€ā™€ļø

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 10
Told my in laws we were pregnant with number 3 yesterday. Their reaction, ā€œwowā€ then silence. So awkward on FaceTime. After 5minutes I called her out on her reaction. ā€œYour reactions make me laugh *MIL* itā€™s the same as if we were telling you we were getting a gerbilā€. She said ā€œyeah Iā€™m not good at reacting to thingsā€. Still waiting for a ā€œcongratulationsā€ from my FIL. He hasnā€™t quite managed that following any of our pregnancy announcements šŸ™„šŸ¤¦šŸ¼ā€ā™€ļø
Oh hun! I donā€™t get the in laws at all. My mil hasnā€™t said congratulations or shown any interest in her first grandchild that Iā€™m carrying- 6 months into the pregnancy and she shows more interest in the dog.
I find it so odd, just feel sorry for my partner as heā€™s gutted sheā€™s being like this. We always had such a good relationship with her. But Iā€™m glad Iā€™m not the only one who has this problem! Just find it very strange.

• Sad
Oh hun! I donā€™t get the in laws at all. My mil hasnā€™t said congratulations or shown any interest in her first grandchild that Iā€™m carrying- 6 months into the pregnancy and she shows more interest in the dog.
I find it so odd, just feel sorry for my partner as heā€™s gutted sheā€™s being like this. We always had such a good relationship with her. But Iā€™m glad Iā€™m not the only one who has this problem! Just find it very strange.
Nightmare arenā€™t they. Wait until the baby comes and theyā€™ll be like tramps on chips.

Iā€™m going to call out my FIL when I next see them and say, ā€œIā€™m surprised you havenā€™t said congratulationsā€, and then be silent. Itā€™s just poor manners really and irks me. I know everyoneā€™s personalities are different but youā€™d think theyā€™d at least manage a congratulations. My husband mentioned it to his mum after our second announcement and she replied with ā€œhe doesnā€™t really congratulate peopleā€ šŸ¤£šŸ¤·šŸ¼ā€ā™€ļø

• Heart
Reactions: 1
That's awful, you'd think they'd be super excited. Even with it being number three they should still be buzzing! Congratulations, I hope all goes well with the pregnancy xx

• Heart
That's awful, you'd think they'd be super excited. Even with it being number three they should still be buzzing! Congratulations, I hope all goes well with the pregnancy xx
Thanks! Theyā€™re very odd people, Iā€™m not sure if mentally they might have something a bit different with them as they seem to struggle with ā€œsocial normsā€.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.