Mother in law experiences? Share them! šŸ¤£

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My husband is 15 years older then me, I am his second wife and his Mum isn't a fan of me, even though we have been together for 10 years :rolleyes:

She calls me a 'glamour girl' and ' trollop' to my face then acts confused when my hubby confronts her, she is 90 and Northern Irish so she is very direct, I used to be mortified and upset but now I don't care lol.

• Wow
Reactions: 9
Is it bad that I want to slap her a little bit šŸ˜­ I'd be so overwhelmed, loud people set me off so bad, I don6 know how you put up with it omg šŸ˜­šŸ˜‚
Nope I wanna slap her too! We'll slap her together šŸ¤— loud people make me anxious too. I hated it when the baby was a newborn and she was doing it (no idk why she was shouting yabba and peekaboo at a 2 week old either) I've just had a baby, ive barely slept, I'm anxious, stop shouting!! Ugh I can't stand her šŸ˜‚

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 5
Nope I wanna slap her too! We'll slap her together šŸ¤— loud people make me anxious too. I hated it when the baby was a newborn and she was doing it (no idk why she was shouting yabba and peekaboo at a 2 week old either) I've just had a baby, ive barely slept, I'm anxious, stop shouting!! Ugh I can't stand her šŸ˜‚ šŸ˜‚
I want to slap my MIL too, and I don't even have a baby šŸ˜‚

• Haha
Reactions: 8
How often do your partners speak to their Mums? My MIL rings my fella twice a day. And attempts to facetime me once or twice between them šŸ™ƒ Like even if she has facetimed me, and seen my fella on the phone... she'll still ring him morning and night...

Reactions: 2
Honestly? Lucky if itā€™s once every 2 weeks unless thereā€™s a specific reason. Sometimes I have to remind him to call her if itā€™s been a while, but then phones work both ways so... šŸ¤·šŸ¼ā€ā™€ļø

• Heart
How often do your partners speak to their Mums? My MIL rings my fella twice a day. And attempts to facetime me once or twice between them šŸ™ƒ Like even if she has facetimed me, and seen my fella on the phone... she'll still ring him morning and night...

Mine turns up. 3/4 times a week. Unannounced. Sometimes with the whole family so husband, partners sister and their other half. She rings him several times a day and will ring me 4 times a week less now because I don't answer much. When I first had my daughter she would phone at 7/8 in the morning off the hook and wonder why I didn't answer with a new born.

Or she rings and says I'm round the corner I've got something to drop off. No asking if it's a good time or if your busy. Also doesn't wait to be asked in literally barges her way in.

• Wow
Reactions: 8
Omg Iā€™ve been waiting for a chance rant about my MIL... Iā€™ve been with her son for almost 5years now and sheā€™s getting worse and worse and I think itā€™s because she gets more and more worried the more serious weā€™re getting...
first of all, she rings or facetimes her son about 3 times a day! In between WhatsAppā€™ing all day, the worst part is when sheā€™s on the phone she repeats the same stuff sheā€™s said the past 2 days (as if sheā€™s scrambling for things to talk about) and my partner doesnā€™t even have the balls to say ā€œyes you said that yesterdayā€œ.. I have to leave the room when sheā€™s on the phone or FaceTime because I canā€™t bare how much sheā€™s up his arse, he will be watching telly not listening properly to her or scrolling on SM but she never gets the hint and he is too scared to upset her..

I canā€™t blame my partner for being lazy when Iā€™ve seen how she has brought him up, i Think she would wipe his arse if she could... Iā€™ve spent a lot of time trying to teach him how to cook, how to clean etc etc, so when he sends her a pic of a meal heā€™s cooked she replies ā€œmammy taught you wellā€ heā€™s 24.... and she has never let him lift a finger his whole life. Whenever her and my FIL come to our house i would message her saying ā€œIā€™ll cook us a nice mealā€œ and she would reply ā€œno Iā€™ll bring something he would have missed my cookingā€ or she will say ā€œno I donā€™t mind Iā€™ll do itā€ and I think itā€™s because she hates to think that he might like my cooking just as much or more than hers... once she said she would cook something then turned up with costco tit??

before me and my partner moved in together, if he would stay at my parents house she would be ringing him 8/9am the next morning asking when he was coming home cos she was making him food or wanted to go somewhere, if he would ignore her she would ring me or send me blunt texts asking to wake him up.. or she would say ā€œtell ... it doesnā€™t matter.ā€œ weā€™ve had to lie about going out for food a handful of times because she would be jealous... I remember once we were going on a date that night and she text in a family group chat ā€œI have loads of new tops and havenā€™t had a chance to wear themā€œ i wanted to say get your own husband to take you out then... the day we got the keys for our new house she sent me a massive paragraph text saying he will always be her baby and sheā€™s been crying all night, she said we are a family who are there for each other I hope you understand and that she wants to come over for tea.. she gets so possessive over him itā€™s crazy.

she literally canā€™t be wrong, she always knows better than everyone else and will say youā€™re doing something wrong just because itā€™s different to how she does it. When sheā€™s on the phone to her son she will ask what heā€™s ate, then proceed to check how Iā€™ve made it and I should have used a different ingredient.. or she will text me saying ā€œhow is ...ā€ but never asks me How I am. sheā€™s so controlling, my fil once made a comment about me looking beautiful and I should have a baby, she absolutely blew her top and started shouting at her husband telling him to shut up and stop being stupid. I feel sorry for my partner because I know how hard work she is and I donā€™t want it to get any worse, I think if he ever confronted her it would just make it worse for me because she would get even more jealous and worried.

I canā€™t help but feel worried for when we have children because she already has grandkids and thinks she is an expert, Iā€™ve seen her giving the baby juice even after being told that theyā€™re not allowed juice yet, or she will give them sweets even after being told not to... she would show off ā€œhow good they are for nanaā€ when in reality itā€™s because sheā€™s letting them sleep in the bed when the parents specifically asked for them to be in the cot. If she is looking after her grandkids she will message me or her son saying ā€œfed the baby, burped him then changed his nappy now cuddling him. Bought a blanket todayā€œ I literally want to reply so what isnā€™t that what you do when you look after a baby and why are you telling me? She always wants praise and thinks sheā€™s hard done by...

whenever I see the way she texts him it makes me feel sick, she will call him her baby and her handsome boy... I love you so much and miss your company. she still calls herself his mammy and his dad ā€œdaddyā€, heā€™s 24. She will say ā€œring daddy he misses you so muchā€œ

anyways Iā€™ve pissed myself off now so ill stop for now..

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 16
Omg Iā€™ve been waiting for a chance rant about my MIL... Iā€™ve been with her son for almost 5years now and sheā€™s getting worse and worse and I think itā€™s because she gets more and more worried the more serious weā€™re getting...
first of all, she rings or facetimes her son about 3 times a day! In between WhatsAppā€™ing all day, the worst part is when sheā€™s on the phone she repeats the same stuff sheā€™s said the past 2 days (as if sheā€™s scrambling for things to talk about) and my partner doesnā€™t even have the balls to say ā€œyes you said that yesterdayā€œ.. I have to leave the room when sheā€™s on the phone or FaceTime because I canā€™t bare how much sheā€™s up his arse, he will be watching telly not listening properly to her or scrolling on SM but she never gets the hint and he is too scared to upset her..

I canā€™t blame my partner for being lazy when Iā€™ve seen how she has brought him up, i Think she would wipe his arse if she could... Iā€™ve spent a lot of time trying to teach him how to cook, how to clean etc etc, so when he sends her a pic of a meal heā€™s cooked she replies ā€œmammy taught you wellā€ heā€™s 24.... and she has never let him lift a finger his whole life. Whenever her and my FIL come to our house i would message her saying ā€œIā€™ll cook us a nice mealā€œ and she would reply ā€œno Iā€™ll bring something he would have missed my cookingā€ or she will say ā€œno I donā€™t mind Iā€™ll do itā€ and I think itā€™s because she hates to think that he might like my cooking just as much or more than hers... once she said she would cook something then turned up with costco tit??

before me and my partner moved in together, if he would stay at my parents house she would be ringing him 8/9am the next morning asking when he was coming home cos she was making him food or wanted to go somewhere, if he would ignore her she would ring me or send me blunt texts asking to wake him up.. or she would say ā€œtell ... it doesnā€™t matter.ā€œ weā€™ve had to lie about going out for food a handful of times because she would be jealous... I remember once we were going on a date that night and she text in a family group chat ā€œI have loads of new tops and havenā€™t had a chance to wear themā€œ i wanted to say get your own husband to take you out then... the day we got the keys for our new house she sent me a massive paragraph text saying he will always be her baby and sheā€™s been crying all night, she said we are a family who are there for each other I hope you understand and that she wants to come over for tea.. she gets so possessive over him itā€™s crazy.

she literally canā€™t be wrong, she always knows better than everyone else and will say youā€™re doing something wrong just because itā€™s different to how she does it. When sheā€™s on the phone to her son she will ask what heā€™s ate, then proceed to check how Iā€™ve made it and I should have used a different ingredient.. or she will text me saying ā€œhow is ...ā€ but never asks me How I am. sheā€™s so controlling, my fil once made a comment about me looking beautiful and I should have a baby, she absolutely blew her top and started shouting at her husband telling him to shut up and stop being stupid. I feel sorry for my partner because I know how hard work she is and I donā€™t want it to get any worse, I think if he ever confronted her it would just make it worse for me because she would get even more jealous and worried.

I canā€™t help but feel worried for when we have children because she already has grandkids and thinks she is an expert, Iā€™ve seen her giving the baby juice even after being told that theyā€™re not allowed juice yet, or she will give them sweets even after being told not to... she would show off ā€œhow good they are for nanaā€ when in reality itā€™s because sheā€™s letting them sleep in the bed when the parents specifically asked for them to be in the cot. If she is looking after her grandkids she will message me or her son saying ā€œfed the baby, burped him then changed his nappy now cuddling him. Bought a blanket todayā€œ I literally want to reply so what isnā€™t that what you do when you look after a baby and why are you telling me? She always wants praise and thinks sheā€™s hard done by...

whenever I see the way she texts him it makes me feel sick, she will call him her baby and her handsome boy... I love you so much and miss your company. she still calls herself his mammy and his dad ā€œdaddyā€, heā€™s 24. She will say ā€œring daddy he misses you so muchā€œ

To say she sounds like an absolute nightmare is a HUGE understatement!!

Honestly? Lucky if itā€™s once every 2 weeks unless thereā€™s a specific reason. Sometimes I have to remind him to call her if itā€™s been a while, but then phones work both ways so... šŸ¤·šŸ¼ā€ā™€ļø
Mines like this. Sometimes Iā€™ll be like why donā€™t you give your mum a ring? And heā€™ll be like nah Iā€™ll text her one day this week. He has a good relationship with his parents but heā€™s not one for chatting on the phone

Reactions: 4
My FIL has never sent my children Christmas presents because he doesnā€™t believe in it apparently. Not that heā€™s religious or anything, just cheap.

• Sad
My FIL lives in Australia. Iā€™ve never met him in person, only on video call. OH doesnā€™t speak to him much either - they arenā€™t close as he moved away when OH was younger. Heā€™s never met our kids, his only grandsons. He had big opinions when OH told him we were getting married, and OH was quite pissed with him for some time after that. MIL usually only calls if thereā€™s been some big drama for OH to fix it. šŸ™„

Reactions: 3

Honestly reading this it could be me and my MIL. It actually annoyed me becuase it reminded me of so much stuff. Feel for you!! I've just accepted mine is absolutely nuts and it's quite scary the lengths she goes too.

My partner at first didn't want to see it but now she can't hide her behaviour so he has had to see it. When I first had my daughter she invited 30 people to my house 3 days after having her. All from her side of the family when my own family hadn't really been over let alone 30 of them. If I ever said anything was too much or I needed some space she would say that's not how we do things in this family.

I feel like I can handle her and I've come to accept she is just nutty and it's completely her issue. I could be the most amazing person in the world I still wouldn't be good enough. The thing that really upsets me is that she has so much influence and power over my partner, she rings him and stressed him out, never praises him and always slyly belittles him. But he takes her word as gospel.

It got so bad at one point we actually nearly ended, I was honestly ready to split our family up because I just couldn't bare her anymore. I just did not get any her in my life and I had started to resent my partner for stuff she done. Now I just ignore her, don't give her that power over me and my daughter anymore. Anything she says (and there's a lot) I take no notice.

Whoah - rant over :)

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 6
Oh also my FIL has 5 grandsons and when I got pregnant again said ā€œit had better be a girlā€... it wasnā€™t... GUTTED! He wasnā€™t interested, his loss as my son is amazing ā¤

• Sad
Reactions: 6
Once a week, if that. He has boundary issues with her so is strict.
I never talk on the phone or facetime with her unless it's Christmas we are all videoing.

Not looking forward to whenever we have a baby and she expects me to video call.

Mine turns up. 3/4 times a week. Unannounced. Sometimes with the whole family so husband, partners sister and their other half. She rings him several times a day and will ring me 4 times a week less now because I don't answer much. When I first had my daughter she would phone at 7/8 in the morning off the hook and wonder why I didn't answer with a new born.

Or she rings and says I'm round the corner I've got something to drop off. No asking if it's a good time or if your busy. Also doesn't wait to be asked in literally barges her way in.
Your husband needs to set boundaries with her.

Once a week, if that. He has boundary issues with her so is strict.
I never talk on the phone or facetime with her unless it's Christmas we are all videoing.

Not looking forward to whenever we have a baby and she expects me to video call.

Your husband needs to set boundaries with her.

He really does. She is so manipulative if he ever says anything or I do, it is WW3 she's crying to her husband, his phoning up going mad. Then me and my partner argue they always manage to turn it around on me. I know it's not the right option and one day I'll probably blow but I have learnt to just bite my tongue. I can't believe I'm even writing that becuase it's so not in my nature but I just feel so sorry for my partner. He can't win - I don't want him to fall out with them but I just want them to back off a bit. But they're so unreasonable and such bullies theyl make his life hell.

• Sad
Honestly reading this it could be me and my MIL. It actually annoyed me becuase it reminded me of so much stuff. Feel for you!! I've just accepted mine is absolutely nuts and it's quite scary the lengths she goes too.

My partner at first didn't want to see it but now she can't hide her behaviour so he has had to see it. When I first had my daughter she invited 30 people to my house 3 days after having her. All from her side of the family when my own family hadn't really been over let alone 30 of them. If I ever said anything was too much or I needed some space she would say that's not how we do things in this family.

I feel like I can handle her and I've come to accept she is just nutty and it's completely her issue. I could be the most amazing person in the world I still wouldn't be good enough. The thing that really upsets me is that she has so much influence and power over my partner, she rings him and stressed him out, never praises him and always slyly belittles him. But he takes her word as gospel.

It got so bad at one point we actually nearly ended, I was honestly ready to split our family up because I just couldn't bare her anymore. I just did not get any her in my life and I had started to resent my partner for stuff she done. Now I just ignore her, don't give her that power over me and my daughter anymore. Anything she says (and there's a lot) I take no notice.

Whoah - rant over :)

OMG! Thatā€™s sooo annoying... me and my partner never hardly argue unless itā€™s about her, and I feel the exact same as you on that last paragraph. It annoys me so much because even when he knows sheā€™s in the wrong or he agrees itā€™s bad what sheā€™s done he will say ā€what am I supposed to do itā€™s my mumā€... I try to tell him we both want the best for him just she thinks the best is treating him like his 5 and I want him to be independent, I hate feeling like Iā€™m putting him in a hard place but also feel like he needs to set boundaries for his own benefit. Iā€™ve told him I canā€™t imagine our future if things donā€™t change, I have just tried to kill her with kindness recently and just agree with everything even if I know sheā€™s wrong. I try and convince myself just to feel sorry for her because her life is obviously so boring she feels the needs to control his... she gets jealous of anything we do, my partner surprised me with an iPad during the second lockdown and he told me not to say anything because she would be angry... shes a grown woman with her own money. I worry that if I try and ignore her she will get worse, I think she would dig her heels in more if I hid stuff from her. She once caught me and my partner having a conversation about hen do and stag do (we arenā€™t even engaged) and she literally RAN in from the kitchen she had obviously been ear wigging and said no no weddings thank you... I think the thought of her son growing up and having his own family will kill her. She also tries to make me look bad to my partner, she will text him saying ive not answered her call or I seem pissed off (I probably am) but why text him that... it annoys me cos she acts sooo innocent but knows exactly what sheā€™s doing.

• Sad
Iā€™ve previously posted about MIL before, reading all these stories boils my piss the way they believe theyā€™re allowed to behave because of their position in the family. Doesnā€™t cut it with me Iā€™m afraid. My MIL was cut off 5yrs ago after 12yrs of cunty toxic behavior. My husband still sees her once a week and Iā€™m presuming they may text in between, I donā€™t know because I donā€™t ask and have zero interest in knowing. Sheā€™s not allowed in my house either. My daughter used to see her a lot which fueled her obsessive, irrational and toxic behaviour. Sheā€™s now only allowed limited access to my daughter as and when I say. She used to still send me birthday presents and cards until I told my husband if he brings another one home Iā€™ll go round to her house with it and launch it at the front door. I donā€™t keep peace, I keep boundaries. I also donā€™t accept repeated apologies, I expect changed behavior. Itā€™s pretty black and white for me, treat me like a twit for 12yrs and when I cut you off youā€™re dead to me and thereā€™s no going back. I wouldnā€™t say I dislike her, I have no feelings now as Iā€™m at peace with my decision. All I would say is speak up, especially when your children are young as you are their only voice.

• Heart
Reactions: 13

Christ....

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.