Mother in law experiences? Share them! 🤣

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Wow, this thread makes me feel quite fortunate. I had a long-term relationship before, not married but the mother in that situation was a complete nightmare. Nosey, spying, lying, genuinely unpleasant.

But that was when I was much younger, and I did get then go on to marry someone else and have a proper MiL. She was lovely. Warm, generous, funny, could handle a rude joke while still remaining graceful. She died last year of cancer in her early 80's and still full of life it felt like. My last visit with her was a day before she passed away and I'm glad I got the chance to say thank you for everything she did for me and meant to me and my daughters. Really couldn't have wished for a nicer MiL, more than made up for the awful experience of the previous relationship.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Wow, this thread makes me feel quite fortunate. I had a long-term relationship before, not married but the mother in that situation was a complete nightmare. Nosey, spying, lying, genuinely unpleasant.

But that was when I was much younger, and I did get then go on to marry someone else and have a proper MiL. She was lovely. Warm, generous, funny, could handle a rude joke while still remaining graceful. She died last year of cancer in her early 80's and still full of life it felt like. My last visit with her was a day before she passed away and I'm glad I got the chance to say thank you for everything she did for me and meant to me and my daughters. Really couldn't have wished for a nicer MiL, more than made up for the awful experience of the previous relationship.
What a lovely story! ♥

I’m glad there are nice MIL’s out there. I have a nice one. Apart from the yearly ‘are you having a baby yet’ I might tell her that the amount we have sex you’d think we’d have one by now🤣🤣🤣🤣 Hopefully this will stop her asking!

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Lost the baby at 11 and a half weeks on Tuesday. No contact from the MIL yet... wonder if she’ll ask for her card back.
Iv just seen this. I’m so very sorry Blonde123.
I don’t know what to say other than I’m thinking of you and sending you lots of love and strength.
💛💛my heart goes out to you xxxx

• Heart
My MIL is way over the top and affectionate, it's actually sickening. They have quite a weird family dynamic so think she seeks validation from others.

She will continually be like "I love you soooo much. I cant wait to hug you again. Love youuu'. This sounds awful but I don't love her..... Is that bad?? Am I meant to??

So I reply with really awkward replies like thank you or OK byeee 😂😂

• Haha
Reactions: 7
My MIL is way over the top and affectionate, it's actually sickening. They have quite a weird family dynamic so think she seeks validation from others.

She will continually be like "I love you soooo much. I cant wait to hug you again. Love youuu'. This sounds awful but I don't love her..... Is that bad?? Am I meant to??

So I reply with really awkward replies like thank you or OK byeee 😂😂
I have one like that
Her daughter lives overseas
And my hubby’s ex wife was a a c**t so she overcompensates with me as “im her 2nd daughter “ apparently

Most of the time I don’t mind her n we get on ok but I married during covid and i fell out with her and her daughter the day after my wedding so now it’s awks because I haven’t seen her since the fall out 🙈🙈

Reactions: 1
My ex MIL is the loveliest woman you could ever wish to know, she is an absolute angel. We still have a great relationship, eleven years after divorcing her son! I’m now a MIL. I hope that I’m half as good as she is❤

• Heart
Reactions: 7
My mother in law likes to remind me how lucky I am to be married to her wonderful, handsome son. She made a big song and happy dance once because he changed our babies nappy 'for me'.

Unfortunately I have always given sarcastic responses e.g. 'wow, does he want a medal?' which hasn't got me very far And made me look like a witch but it almost my defence.

She has got better over the years but in the beginning she was very unwelcoming. I was only young when we met and she would do things like make my husband a hot drink and slice of cake and id get a glass of water - i'm being serious here! My husband wouldn't say anything to her but would try and give me his cake or whatever. He is very non confrontational and in the past we have had many arguments over her.

My own parents were very unloving, cold individuals, they never hugged me or told me they loved me. Happy to scream at me though and call me names. I would have loved to have had the opposite in my in-laws.

Sometimes I wonder what is wrong with me to cause neither my parents or my parrnts in law to like me but I realise that is a bit self pitying 'get the violin out' ha ha .

They are Scottish and I am English so I always hear about how tit English people are.

It probably never helped that my sister in law is a total witch and always stirring. She's the ring leader with the English hate. Mother in law is much better without her daughter there.

• Sad
Reactions: 10
My mother in law likes to remind me how lucky I am to be married to her wonderful, handsome son. She made a big song and happy dance once because he changed our babies nappy 'for me'.

Unfortunately I have always given sarcastic responses e.g. 'wow, does he want a medal?' which hasn't got me very far And made me look like a witch but it almost my defence.

She has got better over the years but in the beginning she was very unwelcoming. I was only young when we met and she would do things like make my husband a hot drink and slice of cake and id get a glass of water - i'm being serious here! My husband wouldn't say anything to her but would try and give me his cake or whatever. He is very non confrontational and in the past we have had many arguments over her.

My own parents were very unloving, cold individuals, they never hugged me or told me they loved me. Happy to scream at me though and call me names. I would have loved to have had the opposite in my in-laws.

Sometimes I wonder what is wrong with me to cause neither my parents or my parrnts in law to like me but I realise that is a bit self pitying 'get the violin out' ha ha .

They are Scottish and I am English so I always hear about how tit English people are.

It probably never helped that my sister in law is a total witch and always stirring. She's the ring leader with the English hate. Mother in law is much better without her daughter there.
The bit about your parents made me tear up 🥺 I’m so sorry 💔 I have an okay relationship with my parents but there are problems there stemming from my childhood and I wanted to almost make my in laws my second parents but it’s hard to get through and I feel what you’re saying here 😓 you’ve put into words something I couldn’t. The problem isn’t you, know that ❤❤ You are enough and worthy of love and I’m sorry you didn’t have that from your parents x

• Heart
Reactions: 9
To be honest my MIL is a wonderful woman, one of life's genuinely nice people but can't say the same for her daughter who is my ex wife ;) Always kept in touch with me after the divorce and more so now my grown son moved back in with me when the first covid wave hit. Never had a problem with her and the same goes for the FIL, lovely fella.

Reactions: 3
The bit about your parents made me tear up 🥺 I’m so sorry 💔 I have an okay relationship with my parents but there are problems there stemming from my childhood and I wanted to almost make my in laws my second parents but it’s hard to get through and I feel what you’re saying here 😓 you’ve put into words something I couldn’t. The problem isn’t you, know that ❤❤ You are enough and worthy of love and I’m sorry you didn’t have that from your parents x
Ah thank you, thats really kind of you to say. Same to you as well 😊 ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Iv just seen this. I’m so very sorry Blonde123.
I don’t know what to say other than I’m thinking of you and sending you lots of love and strength.
💛💛my heart goes out to you xxxx
Thank you. It’s pretty tit. My MIL phoned yesterday and she expressed sympathy which was nice, but also stated how sad she felt for herself. Then realised what she said and corrected it to say “oh but it’s not about me though”. I didn’t say anything. I get that it is sad for her too but it isn’t about her and she should keep it to herself. People dont know what to say at times like this I guess. Anyway I’ll stop being a Debbie downer. Anyone got a funny MIL story to share? X

• Heart
Okay I genuinely need advice I'm so confused right now 🥴 my mother in law is pulling so really weird stuff at the moment. I honestly feel like I'm being better and trying to have more patience. My grandad passed away and I saw them the following day I was still so upset and crying and could have really done without being there but made the effort and not one person mentioned it. I found it really cold/hard but whatever. I'm trying so hard not to mention stuff to my partner because we always always end up rowing over her.
Secondly this one is really confusing. She has started making stuff up, so she said to my partner that she sorted a fine for me. When he was confused she said "oh I've put my foot in it"
They then both called me out and was asking me if id told him etc. My partners genuinely asking me why I've gone to his mum / lied to him??
(I had no clue about this fine/ she's now saying she can't find the letter. Doesn't know why it went to her?)
There was no fine I'm guessing?! Partner is saying she's confused she wouldn't lie about it. I'm saying she's obviously tried to cause trouble between us and now we've had a massive argrument because he thinks I'm being horrible.
My head actually hurts WTF.

This just really isn't normal behaviour. He thinks I always have a problem wirh her but it's because she pulls some pretty wild stuff. I just don't know what to do. It's not normal for a couple to argue this much over someone else but o can't just sit there and not say anything?! She is so manipulative I don't understand what she is trying to get from it. Argh sorry this is just too much.

• Wow
Reactions: 8
Okay I genuinely need advice I'm so confused right now 🥴 my mother in law is pulling so really weird stuff at the moment. I honestly feel like I'm being better and trying to have more patience. My grandad passed away and I saw them the following day I was still so upset and crying and could have really done without being there but made the effort and not one person mentioned it. I found it really cold/hard but whatever. I'm trying so hard not to mention stuff to my partner because we always always end up rowing over her.
Secondly this one is really confusing. She has started making stuff up, so she said to my partner that she sorted a fine for me. When he was confused she said "oh I've put my foot in it"
They then both called me out and was asking me if id told him etc. My partners genuinely asking me why I've gone to his mum / lied to him??
(I had no clue about this fine/ she's now saying she can't find the letter. Doesn't know why it went to her?)
There was no fine I'm guessing?! Partner is saying she's confused she wouldn't lie about it. I'm saying she's obviously tried to cause trouble between us and now we've had a massive argrument because he thinks I'm being horrible.
My head actually hurts WTF.

This just really isn't normal behaviour. He thinks I always have a problem wirh her but it's because she pulls some pretty wild stuff. I just don't know what to do. It's not normal for a couple to argue this much over someone else but o can't just sit there and not say anything?! She is so manipulative I don't understand what she is trying to get from it. Argh sorry this is just too much.
Was she saying it was a driving fine? Is there anyway of getting your records that would show a fine? Then you can prove you’re not lying. Seems crazy to have to do this but it’s the only way to prove she’s being weird. It’ll escalate unless you nip it in the bud now.

Was she saying it was a driving fine? Is there anyway of getting your records that would show a fine? Then you can prove you’re not lying. Seems crazy to have to do this but it’s the only way to prove she’s being weird. It’ll escalate unless you nip it in the bud now.
She's saying it was a flytipping fine?? Apparently bill that had my name on was outside there shop? But I live no where near the shop and my partner hasn't been in the shop for about a year. She's saying she just explained I worked there (I don't) and they dropped it?
the whole thing is just so bizarre. It always ends in me and my partner arguing which I think is what she wants I just don't know why she'd want it for her son?!

Reactions: 2
My mil was never warm to me and always made comments about how “she was never close to her mil and it’s best to keep to your own family” ... then my bil got married to a gold digging witch and suddenly I’m the best thing since sliced bread and a confidante 😬

• Haha
Reactions: 6
I absolutely can't stand my father in law, he is such a head .

But I wonder if some of the thinks he comes out with are down to her and she is the instigator, but she pretends to be all nicely- nicely.

She's saying it was a flytipping fine?? Apparently bill that had my name on was outside there shop? But I live no where near the shop and my partner hasn't been in the shop for about a year. She's saying she just explained I worked there (I don't) and they dropped it?
the whole thing is just so bizarre. It always ends in me and my partner arguing which I think is what she wants I just don't know why she'd want it for her son?!
That’s so strange! Does your partner think it’s weird?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.