Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Mischievous Mystery

Picking up on the previous comments about the pressures put on young women to be accepted as catwalk models, I can say what you hear is usually true. The cotton wool, the coke and an apple a day etc.
When I was little, I used to dream of being Miss World and walking along the best catwalks in the world as I guess a lot of girls do. I was constantly being told I should be a model, so decided to try out for it after being spotted by a photographer who gave me a card.
Following a long period of being ripped off, abused verbally and physically, and starving myself half to death, I wasn't getting anywhere. That's how I fell into glamour modelling and it's a very slippery slope.
Although my waist was 23inchs, I had always had a large bust which wouldn't go regardless of how little I ate. This was why I couldn't fit in the sample sizes. However, I was perfect for lingerie, page 3 etc. I was smart enough to always take a male with me on shoots, but a number of girls didn't. Unfortunately, I can tell some horrific stories.
To cut an already long story short, I made a good living out of what I did, and live well now, but trust me, it is not an industry I would be happy having someone I loved working in unless they had the ability to learn quickly to be thick skinned.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 23

meowmeowbeans

VIP Member
Reviving this thread b/c I'd love to see more action on here... I have a morbid curiosity about the modeling world!

Re: Kendall, I don't think anyone can deny that nepotism played a huge role in Kendall's modeling career. She didn't have to work her way up from the bottom like most models, live in model apartments, hustle from casting to casting, etc. And despite being an average-to-not-very-good model, she still gets to grace the cover of Vogue and open shows during Fashion Week. It's not her fault she grew up privileged and sheltered, but that also shouldn't be an excuse for entitlement and tone-deafness. This interview that she gave in 2018 caused an uproar in the modeling community: https://www.instyle.com/news/kendall-jenner-models-love-interview

Reactions: 23

Yoyolady

Chatty Member
I've heard a lot of these not so legit models (i.e. family connections, instagram models, etc.) are all shorter and heavier in real life than their card numbers. I've heard that Emily Ratajkowski is actually 5'5 and that both Gigi and Bella are shorter than their reported measurements so I'm not terribly surprised at this.

When you look at someone like Kendall or Bella and girls like Freja Beha Erichsen or Adriana Lima, the difference is like night and day. The former are just pretty-ish girls who are on the taller side and the latter are stunners who leave an impression wherever they go.
I bumped into Emily Ratajkowski in NYC and I’d say she is even shorter than 5,5- maybe even 5,2. I was completely stunned, she’s minute.

• Wow
Reactions: 22

Sunflower91

VIP Member
I’ve seen a lot of gossip/blinds about Naomi being essentially a madam with ties to Jeffery Epstein and sex trafficking etc. Some go as far to say she has ties with MK ultra and monarch programming, but obviously this is all conspiracy theory unless things come out.

Reactions: 21

svdwoodsen

VIP Member
How could anyone cheat on Candace! How! It just shows you, when someone cheats it really is about them and not the person who is cheated on
A shitty person will do shitty things and it has nothing to do with the person being cheated on. Us ladies need to remember this when the going gets rough...we're not the problem when a man is unfaithful!

• Heart

MadameOvary

Chatty Member
That's why the 90s supers were so good. Either you were born looking like Cindy, Christy et al or you weren't, and no amount of surgery or dieting would give you that unique athletic, *healthy* , long and lean look. The Insta-girl face that's popular now is so generic - a good 70% of women can starve themselves, have a lid lift, buccal fat removal, jaw reshape and done - you look just like everyone else. So depressing.

• Heart

thatstupidcat

This is from years ago, but i heard from a colleague that Janice Dickinson HATED Tyra Banks but not for the obvious competition reasons I assumed. It was simply that Tyra wouldn’t go partying with Janice, so Janice thought she was stuck up. Some other models thought that Tyra was standoffish and cold but hardly worth a feud.

If it‘s still there, Channel 4 on Demand used to have the Model Agency series (it has been years since i watched it). It was a really good show about Premier Models in London. Teenage Leomie Anderson was on it and it followed her early career a little.

Also, Naomi Campbell in recent years, killed the career of a model from one of her shows for the crime of dating one of Campbell’s exes. It really is like these ladies never left school. :rolleyes:

• Heart

Alexis Colby

I was BA cabin crew many, many years ago and regularly worked the London- New York route, where I met most of the supermodels of the 90s. Naomi Campbell could be a hard work, but other times she could be charm itself. She was stunning in the flesh, though. Kate Moss was lovely and polite (and tiny!) Linda Evangelista was nice enough. Oh and Jerry Hall was an absolute sweetheart. I wish I had some tea to spill, but they were all OK.

Lanavalentine

VIP Member
I hope I never see anything on Candice Swanepoel because I love her!
I worked with her - pleased to tell you that she’s one of the models I would consider nice and normal. Sweet and patient. This was just before she got cast by Victoria’s Secret though, so she wasn’t as well known as she is now.

• Heart

svdwoodsen

VIP Member
Kendall wouldn’t be a model if she wasn’t famous. She’s pretty but not anything special model wise. She’s only 5ft 9 not 5ft 10 1/2 what her card says. There’s girls her height or even taller than her who get rejected cause their too short yet she gets taken on. Really says a lot.
I've heard a lot of these not so legit models (i.e. family connections, instagram models, etc.) are all shorter and heavier in real life than their card numbers. I've heard that Emily Ratajkowski is actually 5'5 and that both Gigi and Bella are shorter than their reported measurements so I'm not terribly surprised at this.

When you look at someone like Kendall or Bella and girls like Freja Beha Erichsen or Adriana Lima, the difference is like night and day. The former are just pretty-ish girls who are on the taller side and the latter are stunners who leave an impression wherever they go.

bubbletea123

VIP Member
Same, god she’s vapid. There’s only so much longer she can carry on taking EXACTLY the same shots before everyone gets bored.

BTW great idea for a thread :love:
Her body is good but her face reminds me of a bird, like an emu. She has a very beaky nose.

• Haha
Reactions: 20

meowmeowbeans

VIP Member
I wonder how the biggest names who were barely even 5’7 would fare if starting out now? Kate, Cara? I am sure Agyness Deyn was only about 5’7. She was such a huge deal for a while. A lot of the Victoria’s Secret girls I worked with before they made it big aren’t as tall as they claim either. Would they just not even get signed nowadays?!
A little off-topic, but I totally forgot about Agyness Deyn! My god, she was EVERYwhere, to the point where I kind of got sick of her. Cara also suffered from overexposure, in my eyes, although I guess she eventually decided to pursue "acting".

Mischievous Mystery

i finally got my hands on Storm in a D Cup by Christine Peake a few years ago. By the time I got it though I already knew the interesting stories. Not much shock in glamour model, invited to parties,looks good, snorts coke. I’ve always assumed all glamour models do coke at some point and those that don’t are a rare exception
Very true with the coke in the entertainment industry. Everyone seems to do it, even today. Nothing worse than finally getting the guy you have had your eyes on into bed and coke c**k happens though. That is a big problem!
What shocked me was those stars with squeaky clean public images doing crack and meth. You would be very surprised at who does that. Before, I thought you could tell a junkie by their appearance. Nope

• Wow

itsnotmyfaulthonest

I remember reading a blind about the girl a few years ago discussing her iron discipline 500 calorie a day diet. I don’t think that sort of thing is sustainable longterm and it makes me wonder if she and other spawn models are fighting tooth and nail against their own body shapes rather than being naturally slender.

Not a criticism of healthy eating, just seems disordered for a young teenager who would normally have a far higher metabolism than an old waddler like me.
think I saw on Romee Strijd’s insta, when she announced she was pregnant, she discussed how she put on weight in order to do so. Said how much she restricted her diet, worked out and didn’t have a period foR a while. This is the side most people don’t see sadly

• Wow

meowmeowbeans

VIP Member
There seem to be some who are shorter, Lottie Moss, Hailey Baldwin.. Lily Rose Depp is only 5"3! I guess having famous parents/siblings help. Sorry, I shouldn't be snarky, they may be really good models for all I know?
They are not real models. In no way, shape, or form would Lottie Moss or Lily Rose Depp be cast by a modeling agency if they didn't have famous parents.

Anyway, there are different types of models that have different requirements. To walk runways, yes you probably need to be 5'10" or close to it. For catalog (I don't know what else to call it. Basically, not high fashion) you can be shorter. The bottom of the barrel is Instagram "modeling" where all you need is a good filter and a gullible audience.

LaraQ

VIP Member
Adriana Lima's husband was cheating on her because sex is not very important to her.

Adriana Lima's ex husband should have been on his knees everyday thanking the Gods that a woman like that would even glance in his direction.He is no prize.

Reactions: 19