Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

CookieCrumble

In Germany we learn very early and a lot about our horrible history and I've often been bewildered by many British people who have a completely uncritical perspective on British (colonial) history
you have perfectly described me! Not offended, you are right. I just don’t know about our history in this way - I assume we are not great but I don’t have hard examples. I didn’t realise Much about our involvement in slavery until the statues discussion!

has anyone seen a good book or digest online about this? Any recommendations

Reactions: 7

OhMyWord

Chatty Member
They’re both grasping and fame hungry. They won’t give this up. They still think it’ll blow over, and I imagine, think that they have a lot to offer...

Didn’t Clemmie post holiday photos of her in France with some of the local mums on a girls weekend, right after Alicegate? All with matching zany sunglasses and the full instawanker starter kit?

I’m getting slight nausea from the mention of slymon and blow jobs in the same sentence...
She was in Paris right around when I was in Paris. Tattlers found a couple of the “friends” she went with but most went to private, didn’t they?

And I agree. Sly and BJ’s in the same sentence are the stuff of nightmares.

Agent Krycek

The dress was bad and the weird boob slip that teachers always wore? N&T must really not be here for influencers cos the margin on their dresses is mental so it wouldn’t even cost them that much to give it away? They treat their staff (+ families) really well they give them freebies / new season for just cost price. Which is the way it should be, looking after staff before grabbies!!
Ahh that makes me happy that N&T look after their staff so well, I love their stuff and I suggested to a friend that she got her wedding dress from them last year, and she did and looked so gorgeous in it. I wonder why they didn't give her (Clemmie) a dress that fitted without the addition that weird slip - their sizes go up to 18, so it's not like they only cater for petite ladies.

Treeofforgiveness

I can almost hear the MOD/FOD supper conversation now...

FOD "They send each other cuttings!"

MOD "Wallpaper samples?"

FOD "No- like plant cuttings- they are very friendly."

MOD "Have you been on 'that site' again?"

FOD "Of course not. That Grace O'Leary minion sent me a weekly summary/update."

MOD "Is House of Horrors ready for the next obligatory post? We have so much more to do to this draughty old pile of bricks!"

FOD "Erm..they said wait a while longer. It's...umm...complicated."

MOD "Ah. Ok. The BML thing? Well I'm off to the Rugby Mums social, don't wait up. Be sure to bump our follower numbers if you get a sec after putting the kids to bed- 3,000 should do it for the time being."

FOD "Rugby? None of the girls DO rugby?"

MOD "They're aspiring darling, and I am supporting them in the best way I know." (head bobs up and down under tshirt) *#ifyouknowyouknow*
That fucking made me laugh too much!
😂😂😂

• Haha
  • Heart

Titfer

Chatty Member
I am a poc. What offends me more in that area is the gleaming towers of canary wharf. I worked there for many years. And the hierarchy is blatantly visible. White Middle classes in their suits and top jobs, local Asians in the shopping outlets and Black cleaners/maintenence /security. What is crap is that all the bankers and top people commute into the area. E14 is a area of huge disparity. So I didn't find that forgotten old statue in a corner offensive, it barely registered on my conscious. What upsets me the creeping gentrification of the area. That is the daily reality that upsets me. The average person is being pushed out. But someone like Hitler is very recent history . That would be hugely upsetting. The figures from slavery I will admit my ignorance of. The docks have a very rich and deep history. I am not fully aware of all of it, but it does interest me.
We are Scottish rural, majority white - my dad has business contracts all over the country (and globally). He dealt with an Indian supplier based in London, meetings in Indian restaurants - he has never witnessed so much intense hierarchal racism within one race as he experienced during these meetings and quickly stopped the trade.

Nadia from.GBBO has also commented on colourism she has experienced from her own race and her own parents!

I'm not sure where I'm going with this post, but I think my main point is everyone's experience is different and reactions are very personal x

But also maybe not as succinct as I hoped as I'm arse deep in a bottle of wine.... 😏😏

Last edited:
My history lessons were done abroad and the gist of it was the British and the French fighting over land and the outcome. It is so infuriating. Absolutely NO MENTION of the fact it was someone else's land and the genocide that accompanied it!!! Regardless of where you stand on the statue thing at least we are finally discussing these issues that have been swept under the carpet for far too long.
Was that called the “grab for africa” in your curriculum? We were taught it in year 9 so pre GCSE, but I remember our teacher saying how the British / French went in with automatic weapons and (trigger / vile content warning I suppose?) how the invaded countries “just had spears and bows / arrows so were just mown down” basically?! I remember sitting there like errr wtf as there was absolutely no follow up on why this isn’t okay it just went into THE EMPIRE™️! Our very brief slave trade lessons were worksheets, absolutely no conversation. I remember just a map of the world with arrows all over it, like an Eddie Stobbard logistics map none of the actual human side to it, international connotations & the way this country profited off of it. I’ve learnt more from Twitter on slavery and I did history all the way to a level! It’s so so bad.

Don’t want to add fuel to the flames but when transitioning from a Catholic primary to normal secondary I had such a huge gulf in world knowledge to fill versus my peers from normal schools too...

CookieCrumble

Candice was violently abused by a midwife?!

By Clemmie. I really believe that a midwife posting those comments, when she knew how badly wrong a birth had gone, is an act of violence.

Everything that's happening right now is so stressful and triggering. All the in your face stuff I endured as a teen and all the exclusion in the school playground as a mum. The stuff at work.
I’m sorry that has happened.

AND I’m sorry to be Bringing it to this space as well as it being everywhere else, it must be fucking exhausting

• Heart

Daddykins

Please can we catalogue these trips away. What was that Delorean/ Back to the future weekend. “Bedruthan” weekends etc.

• Haha

Gem74

VIP Member
😂
I always take it like: ‘I’ve had enough!’ or ‘No more!’

Fully expect to be wrong though! I’m SO not down with the kids. Hopefully a young whippersnapper like @rainbowlemon will correct me 😂

PS Thanks babe

ETA: Right - I’ve Googled it - it means ‘No good’ or a strong ‘NO’ to represent a strong disapproval, dislike, refusal, or prohibition.
So I was completely wrong, but I’m still gonna use it for ‘I’ve had enough!’ (That’s how I feel most days in ‘lockdown’ anyhow)
Look everyone at the dedication that went into finding this out for me, especially as ive just realised I could have just googled it myself! 🙄 anyhoo this surely deserves a thread title AND shes a disney princess ffs! 😄

Can’t beat this one
ITS Glen!!!!!!

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart

Treeofforgiveness

Couldn’t remember who mentioned earlier they had Veja trainers but are they actually comfy?? I’m aware they the insta mama trainer of choice but still like them.
If I recall correctly Clemster was into her reebok classics anyway!
I bought golden goose on eBay! But 🙏 I put my birthday money towards them. I love them! #sillymoneyforwornouttrainers

• Heart

Bizziebody

VIP Member
Courtney Adamo is a Birkenstock's n socks kinda girl apparently.💁‍♀️ I have the clog style (gifted); always rub the top of my foot. They were gifted from my child😉 who got them cheap in Germany along with numerous other styles.

• Heart
  • Haha

rainbowlemon

VIP Member
Maybe we could start a crowd fundraiser for those spindles?! I just have to know if they'll be finished.

Yo-wch Si . (at 10 seconds)

• Haha

LuBiLu

VIP Member
No, we also covered a lot of this. State school, 90s. I also did A level history and a model called euphemistically ‘The expansion of Europe’ which covered a lot of the dreadful things that various colonisers did in Africa, again including the slave trade.

And as an adult I’ve read (popular) books, seem films, gone to museums. It was the 200th anniversary of the Abolition of Slavery in the UK in 2015 there were events all over the place, exhibitions, TV programmes etc. Stuff like this: https://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/stories/liverpool-and-slave-trade

And a friend of mine is a descendant of William Wilberforce even! I’m really surprised that so many people say they knew nothing about it. I wonder how many of them are POC?
My first school was in Spain from age 4 to 9, then we moved back to the UK. So when I started working in a primary school 8 years ago, I loved the history lessons 🤣.

I honestly cannot remember much from my school life in Spain in terms of learning and history. What I do know is through family and reading about it all.

I only started UK schooling from year 5. I had to learn to write in English. It was not easy!

• Heart

Gem74

VIP Member
Surely he'll come back on Father's Day, making reference to being surrounded by women, that's he's never had a greater role than being a father to four girls (just in case we've forgotten he's surrounded by females/that he father of daughters) making the post all about him and completely side step the elephant in the room. Then as someone else mentioned in this thread if anyone dares to challenge him he will cry troll and that it's his day. If we're lucky he might even throw in a hair band or two.
Can’t wait...

• Haha