MOD & FOD #30 Comments from Yoda: A tw*t, you are

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Speaking of DIY we’ve come unstuck with drilling holes does anyone know anything about this? 😂

We’ve got a proper brick house and I think you’d call this an external wall (?) as it faces out into the garden. We’ve got skimmed plaster about a year old, amazingly we didn’t blow that out (which has happened before w our handyman in another room!) but we get to a certain point (about 80% of the wall plug length) and simply cannot drill any further? We have a reasonable drill with “hammer mode” but it’s certainly not a proper hammer drill. I think this must be some sort of concrete?

I said to cut the wall plug down and just bung it in, husband says don’t be ridiculous 😂 What would you guys do?

Reactions: 4
He also wrote *I* have worked hard to afford it, not we. I know she worked a day a week as a midwife, but she brought in a tidy sum as an influencer and her parents cover some/all the school costs which frees up cash that they then dont spend on 4k sinks (which were gifted to his wife, not him).

But sure, take all the credit Slymon.
Don't forget "I" was actually Clemmie writing it. 😄

• Haha
Reactions: 15
I said to cut the wall plug down and just bung it in, husband says don’t be ridiculous 😂 What would you guys do?
I‘d cut the wall plug too, working on the theory that they come in different sizes suggest that they don’t need to be the size you have so cut it town, bang in the screw. Job done.
*Disclaimer, I’m not a diy expert at all so no idea why they come in different sizes.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 6
Speaking of DIY we’ve come unstuck with drilling holes does anyone know anything about this? 😂

We’ve got a proper brick house and I think you’d call this an external wall (?) as it faces out into the garden. We’ve got skimmed plaster about a year old, amazingly we didn’t blow that out (which has happened before w our handyman in another room!) but we get to a certain point (about 80% of the wall plug length) and simply cannot drill any further? We have a reasonable drill with “hammer mode” but it’s certainly not a proper hammer drill. I think this must be some sort of concrete?

As long as your screws are shorter you can cut a raw plug down. No point having a short raw plug and then having a screw that wont fit 😜

I had this problem in my last house even on the bastard interior walls but My brother recommended I got an SDS drill and never had that problem again. Sad or what 😂😂😂

• Heart
Reactions: 5
He also wrote *I* have worked hard to afford it, not we. I know she worked a day a week as a midwife, but she brought in a tidy sum as an influencer and her parents cover some/all the school costs which frees up cash that they then dont spend on 4k sinks (which were gifted to his wife, not him).

But sure, take all the credit Slymon.
That's Clemmie talking though.....

• Haha
Reactions: 7

Omg you guys are so smart for real.This reads as Klingon to me.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 8
I put those responses from Clemmie Simon into an "English to Influencer" auto translator, and it came up with this:
IMG_2876.jpg

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 52

This is one of the reasons we sold our Victorian and moved into a new build (blasphemy I know). Those bastard solid brick walls were the death of many a drill bit and caused many ugly holes!

I have no advice apart from to buy a new drill as this helped our drilling mishaps.

• Haha
Reactions: 5

Depends how old your house is - some old bricks are just really really hard.
You may be hitting an iron lintel - check what is happening to your drill bit - is it getting hot / can you ‘smell’ metal?
if you’re just hanging pics, I’d wager you could just cut the rawl plug - no problem!

Omg you guys are so smart for real.This reads as Klingon to me.
Says the future doctor!! 😜

• Haha
  • Heart
I‘d cut the wall plug too, working on the theory that they come in different sizes suggest that they don’t need to be the size you have so cut it town, bang in the screw. Job done.
*Disclaimer, I’m not a diy expert at all so no idea why they come in different sizes.

As long as your screws are shorter you can cut a raw plug down. No point having a short raw plug and then having a screw that wont fit 😜

I had this problem in my last house even on the bastard interior walls but My brother recommended I got an SDS drill and never had that problem again. Sad or what 😂😂😂
Omg thank you guys! ❤❤ The wall plug is really bleeping long compared to the screw which is why I thought it’d be fine cutting it anyway, the blind isn’t posh (we’re waiting for Ikea to come out with wider smart blinds, which covid has delayed, not that Ikea is posh) so the fittings it came with aren’t exactly top notch? I wanted to use our own white wall plugs & nicer screws actually but he said not to risk it! 😫

Now to convince him that my “tittle tattlers” as he calls this site know what they’re talking about 😂

You may be hitting an iron lintel - check what is happening to your drill bit - is it getting hot / can you ‘smell’ metal?
if you’re just hanging pics, I’d wager you could just cut the rawl plug - no problem!

Says the future doctor!! 😜
thank you!! our house is 1950s (no Georgian reno 4 us) - obviously I know absolutely nothing about buildings but we’re drilling above a window on an external wall so I bet it’s something weird like that, like a load bearing mega material that’s hard to penetrate? I’m gonna convince him tonight for us to keep going tomorrow 👹

• Heart
For anyone who hasn't seen it, bountymargate's post talks about the job of rebuilding the staircase by hand. They mention it took them ages to find someone capable, and the work was actually done by the resident carpenter of Canterbury Cathedral! But hey, why not just rip all the spindles out :rolleyes:

have you seen the comments on the post. People are slating SODs for how they’ve changed everything and the previous owner is liking all the comments!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 22
Or a concrete lintel - either way a hammer drill will just make the hole wider 😜
If you’re cutting the raw plug down remember to do the end bottom end. Just do it with a Stanley knife - just do it and don’t tell the hubby 😂😂

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.