MLM’s - what’s the deal? (Multi-level marketing/aka pyramid selling)

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Its always the mums who had babies at 16/17 that message me do they genuinely believe they can live off it?

Reactions: 6
I know someone who has just had their second baby. They started off with bodyshop, then added in usborne books and has now announced they are selling kakawa artisan chocolates. Has anyone heard of these artisan chocolates? I assume it is an mlm?

I know someone who has just had their second baby. They started off with bodyshop, then added in usborne books and has now announced they are selling kakawa artisan chocolates. Has anyone heard of these artisan chocolates? I assume it is an mlm?
I saw something about it that implied it was an MLM, what I find hilarious is the fact that these MLMs are just turning their hand to any kind of business, first it was mainly beauty/health related products, now it seems like it is just anything. I am particularly annoyed with Bodyshop, I don't get how a reputable brand has become an MLM

Reactions: 9
I saw something about it that implied it was an MLM, what I find hilarious is the fact that these MLMs are just turning their hand to any kind of business, first it was mainly beauty/health related products, now it seems like it is just anything. I am particularly annoyed with Bodyshop, I don't get how a reputable brand has become an MLM
Body Shop is quite an ethical brand too so I’m not sure how the MLM side ever came about.

Reactions: 4
My friend, who is now part of 3 mlms, posted about small businesses and how they need help so like and share! But they aren't small businesses at all really nor are they her businesses.

The artisan chocolate looks nice but I dont need anymore encouragement to eat chocolate and I dont want to encourage her involvement in mlms.

Avon was something my mum would always buy from when I was a child and my gran used to have someone who popped in with an avon magazine until the lady stopped doing it. I was at my gran's house today with shopping (she doesnt go out) and she has a whole cupboard nearly full of avon hair products that she will probably never use. She even said to me thank god the woman stopped doing it. It's obvious she felt compelled to buy something each time. Which I imagine a lot of people did/do. If your close relative/friend starts selling something you feel you have to support them and that means buying the products.

Reactions: 7
My friend, who is now part of 3 mlms, posted about small businesses and how they need help so like and share! But they aren't small businesses at all really nor are they her businesses.

The artisan chocolate looks nice but I dont need anymore encouragement to eat chocolate and I dont want to encourage her involvement in mlms.

Avon was something my mum would always buy from when I was a child and my gran used to have someone who popped in with an avon magazine until the lady stopped doing it. I was at my gran's house today with shopping (she doesnt go out) and she has a whole cupboard nearly full of avon hair products that she will probably never use. She even said to me thank god the woman stopped doing it. It's obvious she felt compelled to buy something each time. Which I imagine a lot of people did/do. If your close relative/friend starts selling something you feel you have to support them and that means buying the products.
I’ve bought from my friend doing Body Shop before but that was only at at ‘party’ so it was a very pressured environment. I make a point of not buying from them anymore, I’m not horrible about it, I just say no thanks, I’m trying to save money.
I want to be able to support them but I don’t support MLMs. If they started their own unique business then dire, I’d buy something, but I want them to have the money, not their up lines

Reactions: 7
I’ve bought from my friend doing Body Shop before but that was only at at ‘party’ so it was a very pressured environment. I make a point of not buying from them anymore, I’m not horrible about it, I just say no thanks, I’m trying to save money.
I want to be able to support them but I don’t support MLMs. If they started their own unique business then dire, I’d buy something, but I want them to have the money, not their up lines
I agree about if it was their business you would want to support. How much money do they actually see after the people above them get their cut? They cant make very much money surely?

Reactions: 1
I agree about if it was their business you would want to support. How much money do they actually see after the people above them get their cut? They cant make very much money surely?
I really do think with a lot of MLMs the money is within recruiting, so the big money is only made by people who have loads of people under them

Jumping on this thread as at least 6 people I used to go to school with are now part of MLMs. Two of them are on Scentsy, the rest are on beauty or supplement MLMs. One of them is due a baby very soon so I can't help but imagine how easy it seems to be for MLMs to pry on people!

Reactions: 5
I really do think with a lot of MLMs the money is within recruiting, so the big money is only made by people who have loads of people under them
Correct. And its not a ifetime career its very short lived

Reactions: 4
Euurgghh that chantelle Houghton who used to be married to Preston is doing body shop and all that hun bot tit 🤦‍♀️
Times must be hard.

• Wow
  • Sad
Jumping on this thread as at least 6 people I used to go to school with are now part of MLMs. Two of them are on Scentsy, the rest are on beauty or supplement MLMs. One of them is due a baby very soon so I can't help but imagine how easy it seems to be for MLMs to pry on people!
Bang on! I was part of a MLM who would actively want to recruit mums and would play on the mum guilt that some mums feel have with having a traditional job. It’s never sat well with me. I’m still doing MLM but it’s pocket money really. I have recruited a team but every single one of us do it for extra cash (and I’ve never actively recruited, everyone in my team have asked to join me for either the product discount or extra cash too). Not as the only career option. I’m not knocking folk who do do MLM full time, it’s just not for me.

Like other posters have said, I just don’t know how reliable it can be. Products fall out if favour, trends change so whilst some folk might make great money (they generally do have big teams), that’s not guaranteed forever so no way would I thrown away my day job with guaranteed benefits such as a pension.

Reactions: 5
I remember when i was younger my whole family would buy from the one avon lady, she never tried to recruit anyone and we all did like the products. No pressure no recruiting and no samples. The 1litre bubble bath was actually really good 😂 shame its an mlm because the products arent even horrible !

Are FM World doing chocolates now?
I’ve just stalked my local FM world girl and can’t see anything about chocolate, I swear I did the other week though cos I remember thinking to myself HA there’s no way she eats those! She’s a size 6 and a compulsive exerciser and never eats any carbs. Are the hoover bag fresheners FM world? She flogs so much tit 😂 it always makes me laugh when they go on about all the products being part of their morning routine and I’m like god if that is the case you must have to get up at 3am to get it all done 🤣

I’ve just stalked my local FM world girl and can’t see anything about chocolate, I swear I did the other week though cos I remember thinking to myself HA there’s no way she eats those! She’s a size 6 and a compulsive exerciser and never eats any carbs. Are the hoover bag fresheners FM world? She flogs so much tit 😂 it always makes me laugh when they go on about all the products being part of their morning routine and I’m like god if that is the case you must have to get up at 3am to get it all done 🤣
The girl I know is doing some sort of promotion, you buy a perfume or something and get free chocolate, but it’s not a brand I’ve ever seen! So if this is a new FM World product, they now sell perfume, cleaning products, makeup and chocolate 😂 They are spreading themselves so thinly, I could kind of get on board when it was just perfume but now they just seem to sell anything and it all looks like stuff you can get in Poundland 😂

and yes those hoover bags are an FM product 😂😅

• Haha
Reactions: 1
Body Shop is quite an ethical brand too so I’m not sure how the MLM side ever came about.
I wouldn‘t call BS an ethical brand. AR stole the idea from a shop in California and they eventually agreed to change their name to Body Time with a £3.5m gagging order. she was not the earth mother she is portrayed as; it was her decision to start the MLM side of the business back in 1994. It was also her decision to sell to I’Oreal. There are lots of green washing tales and some less than ethical practices. As for the MLM side of it, it’s kind of hiding behind its high street presence and this has lead to people signing up, falsely reassured that it’s “not a bad MLM”, but what I’ve found is that people are losing a lot of money and the % of sign ups that lose money are pretty much on track with all the others.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.