MLM’s - what’s the deal? (Multi-level marketing/aka pyramid selling)

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Give us the tea lol. Do they tell people to lie about the money they’re making?
I wouldn't think they do as that would be a crime surely, but the whole model basically pushes people into doing that IMO

Reactions: 1
Hey everyone!
Feeling worried about my cousin - she is a young single mum (had a baby 4 months ago) and is panicking about her career (she used to work for an airline as a cabin crew member but has lost her job due to covid) I obviously haven’t seen her in person but have noticed recently that she had been posting about a lumispa (??) and galvanic- does anyone know anything about this MLM? She’s been putting LOADS up and today has put up a post about how she only needs to recruit a few more people and she will get a free holiday to Mauritius. She’s so naive and vulnerable and I’m going to call her this week to try and talk some sense into her! Just wanted to see whether anyone knew anything about this company? Her dad died a few years ago leaving her inheritance and it breaks my heart thinking about her getting sucked in and losing money over this! X

Reactions: 6
Hey everyone!
Feeling worried about my cousin - she is a young single mum (had a baby 4 months ago) and is panicking about her career (she used to work for an airline as a cabin crew member but has lost her job due to covid) I obviously haven’t seen her in person but have noticed recently that she had been posting about a lumispa (??) and galvanic- does anyone know anything about this MLM? She’s been putting LOADS up and today has put up a post about how she only needs to recruit a few more people and she will get a free holiday to Mauritius. She’s so naive and vulnerable and I’m going to call her this week to try and talk some sense into her! Just wanted to see whether anyone knew anything about this company? Her dad died a few years ago leaving her inheritance and it breaks my heart thinking about her getting sucked in and losing money over this! X
Quick google shows it's NuSkin so yeah she has been sucked in to a well known MLM. I've never seen anyone actually do well on this. To be honest most of them are just shams, if the products were so amazing they would be in stores.

Reactions: 7
Quick google shows it's NuSkin so yeah she has been sucked in to a well known MLM. I've never seen anyone actually do well on this. To be honest most of them are just shams, if the products were so amazing they would be in stores.
I know someone who does NuSkin. She’s doing pretty well on it but I know that she works non stop as you have to shift a LOT of products to make any money. I think this one is attractive to a lot of folk as it’s free to join but my understanding is that the compensation plan isn’t great for the majority. The girl I know who does it must have about 2000 folk under her and she’s been able to give up her job. Sadly she’s turned into one of the MLM nightmares who posts about 30 times a day either heavily punting products or asking questions in the hope she gets a bite. She calls everyone “Hun” which just twists my melons. I do MLM and even I’ve cringed at a lot of what she does. She may earn a good income from it but she’s alienated a lot of her friends as it’s all she talks about. I’d be devastated if folk thought I was a MLM bore.

Reactions: 5
Hey everyone!
This is an interesting read if you want to understand what she has joined to. It’s not really free to join by the looks of it.

I know someone who does NuSkin. She’s doing pretty well on it but I know that she works non stop as you have to shift a LOT of products to make any money. I think this one is attractive to a lot of folk as it’s free to join but my understanding is that the compensation plan isn’t great for the majority. The girl I know who does it must have about 2000 folk under her and she’s been able to give up her job. Sadly she’s turned into one of the MLM nightmares who posts about 30 times a day either heavily punting products or asking questions in the hope she gets a bite. She calls everyone “Hun” which just twists my melons. I do MLM and even I’ve cringed at a lot of what she does. She may earn a good income from it but she’s alienated a lot of her friends as it’s all she talks about. I’d be devastated if folk thought I was a MLM bore.
So many post the same stuff, it seems to be all MLM’s are told to post non stop stories, all saying the same stuff. I always wondered if they get a script sent to them.
Do you know her well though did she actually have a job to quit? I’m always suspicious when they say they quit their 9-5 for MLM as surely no wage is promised, if you don’t sell or people underneath drop out then you don’t earn money. I would be worried to quit a job for something which does not have any financial security. The products are very expensive I cannot understand who is buying them in these current times when so many are unemployed. The lumi is around £200 I think?

Last edited:
Reactions: 7
This is an interesting read if you want to understand what she has joined to. It’s not really free to join by the looks of it.

So many post the same stuff, it seems to be all MLM’s are told to post non stop stories, all saying the same stuff. I always wondered if they get a script sent to them.
Do you know her well though did she actually have a job to quit? I’m always suspicious when they say they quit their 9-5 for MLM as surely no wage is promised, if you don’t sell or people underneath drop out then you don’t earn money. I would be worried to quit a job for something which does not have any financial security. The products are very expensive I cannot understand who is buying them in these current times when so many are unemployed. The lumi is around £200 I think?
I do know her reasonably well. She wasn’t earning a huge salary in her previous career and she hated it so when she replaced that salary with NuSkin she quit. She’s changed her lifestyle massively as well through doing this (moved to a different country, got healthier and calmed down a lot). I can’t profess to know everything about their company but I know she makes a good income however she’s really spammy in what she posts and most of her friends and family have chosen to hide her posts. I’m delighted for her that she’s managed to change her life (as she needed it) albeit she doesn’t stop with her posts so I suspect she’s putting a LOT more work into it than she claims.

Reactions: 3
Just shared a competition to win a hotel stay on Instagram. I actually stayed there recently, I’ve got a post of it on my page about 4 photos ago.

Within minutes I’ve been followed by a travel MLM hun who’s replied to my story saying “hey hun this looks lovely! Have you stayed here before”

If she’d actually looked at my profile she’d have seen that I have! Don’t even want to reply because I know I’ll get a sales pitch

What is going to happen to these girls and their big mortgage and car bills when the MLM train comes to an end? This intrigues me greatly, yes the money is insane but it surely cannot be something you do long term?

Reactions: 11
The only person ive seen do well is emma carpenter salter. I assume they ride on the success of all the plebs underneath them

Their compensation plan was OK but then they changed it a few years back and it makes it really hard to earn a decent amount. The thing with these MLMs they make it easy for you to get to the third of fourth rank and then it's really hard to break the barrier to get the car bonus. I know someone who qualified quite easy with Nuskin for their holiday (under the old compensation plan) but it you don't hold that rank or meet a certain criteria you end up losing it. Also their products are really expensive and you basically have to discount them, so you don't always make good product profit. I've seen a few people recently pushing the Lumi and Galvanic Spas and not mention the other products, maybe they've decided that's the best way to earn money.

Their compensation plan was OK but then they changed it a few years back and it makes it really hard to earn a decent amount. The thing with these MLMs they make it easy for you to get to the third of fourth rank and then it's really hard to break the barrier to get the car bonus. I know someone who qualified quite easy with Nuskin for their holiday (under the old compensation plan) but it you don't hold that rank or meet a certain criteria you end up losing it. Also their products are really expensive and you basically have to discount them, so you don't always make good product profit. I've seen a few people recently pushing the Lumi and Galvanic Spas and not mention the other products, maybe they've decided that's the best way to earn money.
Yeah you’re bang on. The girl I know really heavily punts the lumispa and that is most probably due to earning a much better commission off that than say toothpastes.

What is going to happen to these girls and their big mortgage and car bills when the MLM train comes to an end? This intrigues me greatly, yes the money is insane but it surely cannot be something you do long term?
If it's anything like what happened with Lula roe, the 1% people at the top of the pyramid who are actually making money will get out and begin a new scheme with their mates before the old one crashes, try and get as many of their downlines to switch to the new one with them, and then it's the people at the bottom left with crushed dreams, an empty wallet and a garage full of ugly leggings/overpriced cosmetics that no one wants to buy.

They're a sham and they actually make me angry as they definitely prey on women particularly pregnant women or those who can't work or are isolated and lonely due to illness/disability/moving around a lot as a military wife. They come in with all this massive positivity, a circle of girl friends gassing you up making you feel amazing, and it's mostly fake.

Sorry if already shared but Elle Beau has a good story of her time with Younique and how they played games with her mind (spoiler: anyone in family not super supportive of her the Younique Huns would say they were out to sabotage you).

• Wow
Reactions: 8
Does/did anyone follow tayla blue and her sisters who were part of nu skin? And now they have this new business called begins with you. I'm unsure of what this begins with you business actually is and if it's just under the umbrella of nu skin. It's all v weird
She actually appears in a document on bbc iplayer called the secrets of the multi-level millions, not in a good light. I recommend everyone to watch it so interesting, sorry if it’s already been mentioned!

The problem is with these things you’ll see the same 3/4 girls stories who have done well and not the 50/60 girls who wasted their money and made nothing that them girls made the money off.

The nuskin reps I followed were also always lying it really wound me up, constantly going on about winning multiple awards etc and then couldn’t actually tell you what they were, or ‘best company to work for by Forbes’, when actually it was the actual corporate head office voted one of the best places to work in UTAH, the people with actual jobs and salaries.

Reactions: 2
Did anyone see Holly from geordie shores story. She has unfollowed anyone promoting herbalife and some others like that, saying they do not work and it is not fair on their followers. Is that a mlm?

Reactions: 4
There's this girl I have come across called Marcella who in involved in the travel mlm. also has a podcast and 'mentors' #bossbabes who want to 'level up'. She put a story up the other day about earning her first 500k, can't remember exactly but I think it was for a period of one year. nowhere did it say if it was from podcast, travel bookings, mentoring, the travel pyramid, or all of the mentioned. very misleading. it makes me so annoyed there's never any proper explanation to what they actually do and how the money is made.

There's this girl I have come across called Marcella who in involved in the travel mlm. also has a podcast and 'mentors' #bossbabes who want to 'level up'. She put a story up the other day about earning her first 500k, can't remember exactly but I think it was for a period of one year. nowhere did it say if it was from podcast, travel bookings, mentoring, the travel pyramid, or all of the mentioned. very misleading. it makes me so annoyed there's never any proper explanation to what they actually do and how the money is made.
I’ve come across her before too, she seems very aggressive? Or maybe it’s just desperation for people to sign up I don’t know. It’s all just one big con. Doesn’t matter what the product is they’re selling wether it’s travel, skincare, perfume they all have one thing in common. You have to continuously recruit people to be below you and get them to recruit people and so on to make any sort of money = pyramid scheme!

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.