MLM’s - what’s the deal? (Multi-level marketing/aka pyramid selling)

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
don't watch Corrie but good, hopefully this makes more people aware of them!
Its been building up before christmas but now its showing the "i dont want to lie to my friends to recruit them" side.

Reactions: 7
Someone I used to work with set herself up as an mlm selling supernova fat burner , diet coffee etc , after 3 weeks she’s now calling herself a ‘global business mentor’ on social media !

• Haha
Reactions: 14
Its been building up before christmas but now its showing the "i dont want to lie to my friends to recruit them" side.
That's good, people criticise soaps but they can actually be really educational IMO, I remember the Hollyoaks domestic violence/coercive control storyline (from quite a while ago) which really showed the issue in a way that hadn't been shown on mainstream TV before

Did anyone see Holly from geordie shores story. She has unfollowed anyone promoting herbalife and some others like that, saying they do not work and it is not fair on their followers. Is that a mlm?
Yes it is. But im pretty sure holly has used them all in the past !

Got added on Facebook by an "MLM hun" trying to sell me Juice plus by the looks of things. She asked me what my health goals for the year were, (if she had even bothered to look at my profile she would see I'm pregnant and would defo not be interested in taking supplements) so I just replied "aw hi, tbh my goals for this year are pushing this baby out without ripping hole to hole 👍"

She unfriended me without replying 😂

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 41
God added on Facebook by an "MLM hun" trying to sell me Juice plus by the looks of things. She asked me what my health goals for the year were, (if she had even bothered to look at my profile she would see I'm pregnant and would defo not be interested in taking supplements) so I just replied "aw hi, tbh my goals for this year are pushing this baby out without ripping hole to hole 👍"

She unfriended me without replying 😂
can we all just reply exactly this to any MLM "huns" who message us?? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: 13
We opened our new village hall last week so the local GP could use it for a Covid vaccine clinic. It took 24 hours before a local Enjo rep had got in touch with our chair to see if she could come and demonstrate her 'fantastic cleaning system that didn't use any chemicals'.

It's a public building being used for a vaccine clinic, we want every chemical we can get our hands on to clean it right now!!

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 24
We opened our new village hall last week so the local GP could use it for a Covid vaccine clinic. It took 24 hours before a local Enjo rep had got in touch with our chair to see if she could come and demonstrate her 'fantastic cleaning system that didn't use any chemicals'.

It's a public building being used for a vaccine clinic, we want every chemical we can get our hands on to clean it right now!!
omg they are so clueless and out of touch!!!!!!

Reactions: 5
Omg, I got a message off a friend who I haven’t spoke to in years. I met her in a course when I was in my early twenties. She sent me one of those cheap makeup things and trying to market it to me even tho she knows full well I have a makeup and brush collection worth easily over ten thousand euro. Does she think I’m a moron?

Reactions: 2
Absolutely should be banned full stop. They prey on the vulnerable and desperate. You'd think by now there's so much information out there about them that people wouldnt keep falling for it.

Reactions: 13
Omg, I got a message off a friend who I haven’t spoke to in years. I met her in a course when I was in my early twenties. She sent me one of those cheap makeup things and trying to market it to me even tho she knows full well I have a makeup and brush collection worth easily over ten thousand euro. Does she think I’m a moron?
Without being harsh to her... she probably does as she has been a moron to get sucked in to that rubbish

Absolutely should be banned full stop. They prey on the vulnerable and desperate. You'd think by now there's so much information out there about them that people wouldnt keep falling for it.
I cannot understand why nothing has been done by governments?! how much do people need to lose until they do anything?!

Reactions: 5
I’ve unfriended a few friends on social media that have been sucked into this bullshit and sadly, every single one of them have been either “new” mums in the newborn stage or first time mums whos maternity end is creeping up on them and they aren’t ready to go back to work yet. Had one of the girls write a status saying she was an “independent travel agent” and oh my word she had hundreds of comments from friends and family who obviously had never heard of the travel MLMs before congratulating her?! The woman just gave birth and has worked in salons all her life. You think she’s an independent travel agent out of thin air? Sometimes I think the people cheering these huns on are half the problem!

Reactions: 21
I’ve unfriended a few friends on social media that have been sucked into this bullshit and sadly, every single one of them have been either “new” mums in the newborn stage or first time mums whos maternity end is creeping up on them and they aren’t ready to go back to work yet. Had one of the girls write a status saying she was an “independent travel agent” and oh my word she had hundreds of comments from friends and family who obviously had never heard of the travel MLMs before congratulating her?! The woman just gave birth and has worked in salons all her life. You think she’s an independent travel agent out of thin air? Sometimes I think the people cheering these huns on are half the problem!
My understanding with the travel MLM is that they need to undergo some training and pass exams along the way (what that entails I have no idea mind). My issue with this MLM is that you have to pay to be a part of it to enable you to get the discount. So in all honesty, unless you book loads I can’t see how you would make your money.

I think with MLM’s, providing you aren’t preying on others and it’s not costing you anything, then they can be a good thing. I’ve been part of the MLM industry for over 5 years and there are some absolute stinkers out there but there is some that are low risk. The issue is the brainwashing and “leaders” falsely claiming you are going to be a millionaire overnight and encouraging you to contact all your friends and family. In my last company that was widely encouraged and we were told that a “no” wasn’t really a “no” which makes me cringe now.

The company I work alongside now actively encourages that but I am well aware that there will always be some “huns” who probably do operate like that. Ethically I know I’m not like that. For me, it’s offering bargain products with no hard sell and making myself a wee bit extra. Personally I like the selling so it’s no hardship on my part.

• Haha
Reactions: 2
My work friend isn’t returning to work after her maternity leave, and when I asked why, she said she is doing BodyShop At Home now... good for her, but I just hope it’s a stable income for her, especially as she’s got two young kids

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 9
Oh Jesus, someone I know has started doing Herbalife, didn’t even think it was still going 😂

• Haha
Oh Jesus, someone I know has started doing Herbalife, didn’t even think it was still going 😂
My friend did it years ago. And I mean YEARS like almost 20 years ago.

I joined her for one of those conference things once (she needed a lift and I had another friend I'd not seen for a while in that area so thought lets tag along and see what this crap is), it was unreal! Like if you've ever seen the "mega church" services from the US? It was like that. But you know what I remember the most is how weird the toilets smelled :oops: like all the women must've had some funky smelling wee after drinking those shakes. I was like no thanks! I did try some of the snack bars (protein I guess?) and I just remember them being like chalky and chewy at the same time.

• Haha
Reactions: 12
My friend did it years ago. And I mean YEARS like almost 20 years ago.

I joined her for one of those conference things once (she needed a lift and I had another friend I'd not seen for a while in that area so thought lets tag along and see what this crap is), it was unreal! Like if you've ever seen the "mega church" services from the US? It was like that. But you know what I remember the most is how weird the toilets smelled :oops: like all the women must've had some funky smelling wee after drinking those shakes. I was like no thanks! I did try some of the snack bars (protein I guess?) and I just remember them being like chalky and chewy at the same time.
Omg yes those church services are terrifying!
my friend used to do it while working a full time job and got a car with Herbalife plastered all over it. This was probably about 8 to 10 years ago

Reactions: 4
A lot of people commented on the girl I know’s post telling her not to do the ‘diet’ or get involved in selling it. They were all nicely put posts with her best interests at heart but you can tell she’s already been sucked in the way she was replying saying it’s not a diet it’s a lifestyle change 🙄 and she likes the product so would be happy to sell it. She clearly has no idea she’ll then have to recruit people. This girl is on a new quick fix diet every week so I hope it just ends up being one of those and I really hope she doesn’t get sucked in. Her daughter is also doing this month long Herbalife challenge and I think she’s only 16 😳

The girl who’s obviously the one who’s sold her the stuff and a couple of others were also jumping on saying not to listen to the negativity, it’s proper cult like!

• Sad
My SIL has become an MLM hun 🙄

right fine, I'm barely speak to her anyway (after she called me selfish and lazy at 39w pregnant because I said I didn't want to be teaching in school due to covid. Then when my baby was 6 days old she called me ridiculous and pathetic for refusing to break covid restrictions to see her indoors)

But now MIL is extolling the virtues of said MLM skincare all over Facebook

I swear to God if she ever says "dm me hun" I'm staging an intervention 😂

Feel better for putting that out there

• Wow
Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.