Mikhila McDaid #17 Fine Hair & Lots Of It

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Candles are such an odd thing to buy online really aren’t they. Unless it’s something I’ve already had then I prefer to smell them first. When you consider most supermarkets, garden centres, gift shops, tk maxx, B&M etc sell them no one’s really too far away from being at a physical point of sale. On the other hand there’s loads on Etsy that have thousands of reviews if you want to buy independent from a trusted seller. She would have been better off at craft fayres to start with.

Reactions: 16
100% this. Unless someone I trust (in real life, not an influencer) has recommended a particular candle, especially one from a new company, I’m not gonna take a gamble on £15 plus post. I’m just gonna pick up a Yankee Candle I’ve smelt in person in Tesco. Or those £1.50 ones in Home Bargains, if I don’t want to spend big.

Agree she should be more successful at fayres in person, but she acts like a dick head and would put customers off. Or trying to get the candles in little boutique places.

Funny thing is, she doesn’t actually but things like this herself. Only ever buying mass produced cheap candles in Primark, or bulk buying B&BW when they’re on sale and she has a sponsorship from a freight forwarder.

Have many YouTuber brands actually been long term successful? Pixiwoo Real Techniques brushes seemed to thrive and they probably sold at the the height of it all. A lot of books have come and gone. Tanya Burr and Zoella had some makeup and bath smellies that just seemed to fade away into the sale baskets of Superdrug. I don’t know how well Fleur de Force’s jewellery is going but its still online. Lucy Wood’s shop lasted about 4 months. Once your audience has bought one or two things out of support, they’re done and ‘the rest of the world’ don’t know or care who you are. Often because your ‘marketing’ is always too niche.
---
Totally is. Their old font is the one she stuck on her merch and used on her you tube thumb nails. Bet canva has rules on selling items with their free fonts.
Jessica Braun might have told her to stop copying her. The font she uses lately on everything is the same.
IMG_0381.jpeg

IMG_0383.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Sick
Reactions: 9
She should be embarrassed. Copying the font, the colour and italic. The random capitalised words. She is tragic. Achooally beyond tragic at this point. She is almost 40.

P.S that smodge of a Q tattoo 🫣

• Haha
Reactions: 10
With the exception of treating myself to Neom, I'd never order candles online, they're an impulsive, in shop purchase for me once they've passed the sniff test and even then I've never gone out with the intention of candle shopping, they're just add on purchases for me.

Reactions: 8
The jessica braun cosplay is really..odd considering mik doesn’t even care about beauty products anymore

Reactions: 5
Some of her thumbnail poses are dead similar too. Weird the lengths she’s going to copy her.
IMG_0387.jpeg

IMG_0386.jpeg

Maybe that the tv lip Jessica’s rocking Mik’s been trying to recreate for the last few years.

• Haha
Its even more embarrassing as she name dropped her in every video for a while. How long do we give it until we get another favourites to coincide with another hello fresh sponsor video.

Reactions: 4
Going into a candle and wax melt business at this time is not a good idea. So many brands were created in covid and then dropped. But a lot of the ones created in covid were by chancers and people that didn't know what they were doing. (e.g. didn't know about clp) For some reason, everyone decided they wanted to make their own business and wax melt/candles were the most popular forte. Of course, most of covid wax melt businesses don't exist anymore, because people realised it wasn't easy to make good products, stand out from the rest, offer something different nor was it a fast money maker that people expected. It required effort and hard work. People thought it would be a piece of piss and they'd rake it in. They quickly learnt differently.

It hurt the community as a whole, because a lot of the newbies products were not good. It changed the pricing that people who've been in business for years could charge as the covid sellers were selling them for what must have been a loss. Not many people were going to pay 3.25 for 50g of wax, when other people are offering 1.50. Even though 1.50 product was trash. But people wanted to support new business and got burnt. Some people even had the whole "they've taken my money and haven't sent me anything." palaver.

I've also seen a lot of businesses that were going for years close their doors over the past two years, because it's no longer workable. And these had brilliant products with decent fanbase and repeat customers. It's just with the cost of living and inflation, there just isn't £££ to spend on frivolous wax melts anymore. I love wax melts, but I don't need them to live. Even a company that I love who've had over 30000 orders are closing their doors at the end of the years, which is really sad. They've been in business for 5+ years. And now it's coming to an end.

So the wax melts and candles business is going through a lot atm. Not many business are surviving. Some of them are only surviving because a full wage is coming into the household from someone else. And more will close. It isn't getting any cheaper to live is it, so no fun money to play with.

Not that I expect Mik to know any of this, because she won't have done the research. But it is really not a good time to start a business.

I wonder how much money Mik has spent, I know quite a few people order oils from different suppliers to test out. Then you've got to test your wax and formula. But Mik won't have done that. Mik botched it. You can tell because she's already destroyed her kitchen with concrete. And concrete should've never been an option as it's heavy. I know some people keep their wax melts small so it can fit in your letterbox, which makes postage quite cheap.

Bloody concrete! I'm still in shock that no one said "No. That is not a good idea." And mixing it in your house and garden despite knowing nothing about how to handle it and protect yourself/your stuff.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 18
The typos 😯 also, so unclear - concrete OR resin, cork OR rubber feet. Not sure I'd be keen to buy something when the description is so vague. Just say they have protective feet and be done with it?
Although not sure I want pale green and peach coloured concrete trees at £8 a pop anyway🤣 Honestly B&M would have much cheaper similar things which you can just pick up in-store without all the delivery hassle and won't be £24 for a set of 3!

Attachments

• Haha
  • Wow
The typos 😯 also, so unclear - concrete OR resin, cork OR rubber feet. Not sure I'd be keen to buy something when the description is so vague. Just say they have protective feet and be done with it?
Although not sure I want pale green and peach coloured concrete trees at £8 a pop anyway🤣 Honestly B&M would have much cheaper similar things which you can just pick up in-store without all the delivery hassle and won't be £24 for a set of 3!
Didn't someone call resin a couple of weeks ago - for other business ideas Mik, please subscribe to our channel on Tattle 😉

• Haha
Reactions: 9
If you've got visible air bubbles in your resin then you've not done it properly and should not be selling it as anything other than a faulty item 🙃

• Heart
Didn't someone call resin a couple of weeks ago - for other business ideas Mik, please subscribe to our channel on Tattle 😉
Me 👋 I'm basically the 3rd busines partner
I also suggest putting fragrance in her wax melts....
---
I've spotted similar contradictions. The pictures for same item show both concrete and glass jars. Description says glass jar followed by info on concrete jar. So confusing and unprofessional. She's clearly rushing and not checking before she goes live with stock updates.

Attachments

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 7
If you've got visible air bubbles in your resin then you've not done it properly and should not be selling it as anything other than a faulty item 🙃
I was going to say exactly the same............ 😂 Air holes = she's rushing to make them and has zero quality control......

• Haha
What is she on about? She hasn't even been diagnosed with anything yet!
This pisses me right off - I have a moderate brain injury but I never let it affect my parenting skills. I'm forgetful, get brain fog etc, but I never forgot to pick my kids up. I make lists, I have multiple reminders on my phone, if it's not on my planner then you can expect me to forget it, so I document everything. But then again, I have a proper diagnosis, not a TikTok diagnosis.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
What is she on about? She hasn't even been diagnosed with anything yet!
That’s not ADHD that’s just crappy parenting.

I think most ADHDers would tell you they’ve never forgotten their child. They might forget their child’s lunch but not the actual child.

• Haha
Reactions: 11
She’s just given herself permission to act like a dick head, without repercussions.

It’s pretty tragic a child has to do that. Why not have a planner calendar in the kitchen, or big white board where appointments and that can be added. Plus reminders on your phone.

She’s held down jobs since age 16, ran her house, paid bills, raised 2 kids, long term relationships, ran and planned YouTube channels, planned holidays and travel… and now at 37, she’s deciding she can’t because it’s trendy right now and it gives her the excuse to be a lazy, selfish cow.

Reactions: 17
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.