Meteorology moaning - aka the weather, let’s moan about the heat 🥵🔥☀️🔥

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
And yet there are idiots out on beaches with their kids at the hotest part of the day without so much as a hat on or any sort of uv/spf clothing. Crazy!
First thing men usually do is go bare chested like it's clever to burn 🙄

• Sick
Reactions: 5
And yet there are idiots out on beaches with their kids at the hotest part of the day without so much as a hat on or any sort of uv/spf clothing. Crazy!
It's terrible, isn't it? Funny thing is the hottest part of the day is actually 3pm-4:30pm when the UV rays are weaker, which means they can enjoy the high temp and be safer. Added bonus is fewer people on the beach at that time.

I'm sure I remember a stat from a university lecture claiming Scotland had the highest rare of skin cancer in Europe. And seeing how folk react when there's a slightest glimpse of the sun, it does not surprise me at all.

My former neighbour was Portuguese and her kids were always dressed in long sleeved t-shirts and long shorts on hot days. But then sometimes what we considered very hot days was a normal temperature when she was growing up!

Anyway, the heat sucks. I'm lying on my bed with the fan on and trying to be quiet as all the bedroom doors are open to try and cool down 😭
Sun hitting bare skin makes us hotter. Appropriate fabric helps cool the body.

Reactions: 4
I sat in the garden for about half hour at midday, but that was it. I am not sitting out in it for hours. Utterly needless.

Reactions: 2
I feel you. Have a cool bath. Honestly. It’s lush! I’m too self conscious to get in the paddling pool in the garden so the bath is the next best thing. Nice cool drink. iPad with some crap on. It’s heaven. I’m having one tomorrow after work. I’m so excited! 😂
For my cat we got a bag, which is reusable and freezes in the freezer. We wrapped it in a cloth and put it under/ on her.

The day before we wet a kitchen towel and draped that over her for a bit. You could do either of the above with humans too. Maybe the second with a real small towel though.

My mother would do the same when she lived in a hot country.

So for the last 7 years we’ve lived on the top floor of a tower block. Every year we was unable to have any windows open at all, due to our childrens disabilities (they have no sense of danger or awareness).
Our flat often in summer reached 40 degrees by 2pm daily.

Well this Christmas we was moved into a beautiful 3 bedroom ground floor house with a front and back garden.
This is the first summer we’ve spent outside as a family with the pool up and bbq going, watching kids on the trampoline! And having all our windows open. For the first time in 7 years we’ve actually enjoyed summer. We only used to have an old fan going that didn’t help much at all in the flat and couldn’t afford A/C so I’m buzzing this year! But i am still too hot and I’m excited for Winter 😂.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I feel you. Have a cool bath. Honestly. It’s lush! I’m too self conscious to get in the paddling pool in the garden so the bath is the next best thing. Nice cool drink. iPad with some crap on. It’s heaven. I’m having one tomorrow after work. I’m so excited! 😂
My bathroom is upstairs and has a massive window which is south west facing and even with windows open and blinds closed is still hotter than hades on a day like today 😭 Same with my kitchen....direct line of sun into the middle which peaks at 5pm just as you're trying to start making dinner. There are times when I despise my house!

Reactions: 1
I'm working at home today (sadly all windows shut because my neighbours are getting their grass cut and my hayfever is off the charts this year). Got the radio on and a very sensible person was commenting on the hot weather during the news, suggesting that we need to adopt a more Mediterranean lifestyle when it's hot like this e.g. staying out of the sun as much as possible during the day. I understand there are people who will not have a choice regarding this but it's the ejits who will flock to the beaches and stay out in all temperatures until they're lobster red. But I don't see the adoption of COMMON SENSE happening because we tend to get batches of hot weather for a week or two and then it disappears.

Reactions: 7
How hot is too hot for children to be in hot school classrooms with windows that barely open? It's 28 here today but feels so much hotter. There's absolutely no air either. Thinking of my children sat in a class of 30 probably sweating their tits off. How can they possibly concentrate? Youngest is 6.
Waiting for the email to say sports day is cancelled on Wednesday if this is set to continue, surely they can't expect them to do it in this heat?

Reactions: 4
Just popped up on my phone there's an amber warning for extreme heat on Sunday 17th :oops:

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 9
It's terrible, isn't it? Funny thing is the hottest part of the day is actually 3pm-4:30pm when the UV rays are weaker, which means they can enjoy the high temp and be safer. Added bonus is fewer people on the beach at that time
Sun hitting bare skin makes us hotter. Appropriate fabric helps cool the body.
If you are somewhere like Spain look what time the locals go to the beach, they are early morning or late afternoon visitors. When the Brits are coming off the beach the Spanish have just finished their Siesta and making their way to the beach. Soon learned that lesson.

Reactions: 1
If you are somewhere like Spain look what time the locals go to the beach, they are early morning or late afternoon visitors. When the Brits are coming off the beach the Spanish have just finished their Siesta and making their way to the beach. Soon learned that lesson.
Can't think of anything worse than sitting on a beach. I don't understand why people do it. I like a run or walk up the beach, but just sitting or laying there is odd.

Reactions: 6
How hot is too hot for children to be in hot school classrooms with windows that barely open? It's 28 here today but feels so much hotter. There's absolutely no air either. Thinking of my children sat in a class of 30 probably sweating their tits off. How can they possibly concentrate? Youngest is 6.
Waiting for the email to say sports day is cancelled on Wednesday if this is set to continue, surely they can't expect them to do it in this heat?
I work in a school, it’s too hot now. The extreme heat combined with very tired children and staff is making for an unpleasant atmosphere. Modern British schools (as in those built after WW2) are not designed for extreme heat. They’ve got low ceilings, small carpeted classrooms and tiny double glazed windows that don’t open very wide. They made Covid bubbling hard as well.

The older Victorian schools are actually better designed for extremely warm summers as they have higher ceilings, bigger classrooms, tiled floors etc.

• Sad
Reactions: 5
Woke up early hours very dehydrated. Banging head, fatigue, aches. My own fault not drinking enough 😬
It was too hot to be out yesterday, although mornings are perfect.
Sincerely, a self confessed lover of hot weather :cool:

I absolutely love this weather ☀ and live for it as I am from Cyprus, where temperatures can reach over 40C. However, in the UK we are not used to these temperatures, houses are not built for hot summers, nor is the infrastructure/lifestyle. In Cyprus (similar to many of the Mediterranean countries) we would start school early and finish early. Most people would have a siesta and shut their businesses for a few hours, re-opening in the evening when it starts to get a tad cooler.

I also agree with the comments regarding common sense, staying out of the sun ☀ during peak hours - especially children. People walking their dogs 🦮 during the hottest hours of the day also need a slap of reality. 😐

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I honestly hate hot weather, the only bonus for my right now is not having to use the heating. Other than that I am miserable in the summer time 😭

Sunday looks like hell for me 😭

Reactions: 7
I honestly hate hot weather, the only bonus for my right now is not having to use the heating. Other than that I am miserable in the summer time 😭

Sunday looks like hell for me 😭
Me too. Think i said last year(and it still stands now lol) the only thing I like the summer for is drying my washing outside. Roll on Autumn!

Reactions: 6
Taking my duvet out the cover tonight and just sleeping with the sheet!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.