Mamamia #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Fair enough, I don’t know about catholic private schools but the traditional Sydney private school set is certainly not in that price range and definitely not possible on that kind of salary.
Has she ever said what school she went to?

Edit - looks like Marist Sisters Woolwich, a catholic school in a nice area of Sydney. If she grew up even within half an hour of Woolwich it’s a far cry from the picture she painted of her ‘western Sydney’ upbringing.
That was very quick investigative work! It's a bit like Leigh always saying shes a Westie..no Leigh, you grew up on a lovely property, very middle class.

Reactions: 7
That was very quick investigative work! It's a bit like Leigh always saying shes a Westie..no Leigh, you grew up on a lovely property, very middle class.
Yes for sure! weird flex but ok. It’s like pushback against nepo baby mentality or something?

Reactions: 5
It’s actually a bit offensive for a middle class white woman who went to a Catholic school and had two educated parents to pull the ‘privilege’ card like genuinely how dare you Jessie. If she’s under privileged what are people of colour? Aboriginal, disabled, queer, actually poor people?

Reactions: 26
It’s actually a bit offensive for a middle class white woman who went to a Catholic school and had two educated parents to pull the ‘privilege’ card like genuinely how dare you Jessie. If she’s under privileged what are people of colour? Aboriginal, disabled, queer, actually poor people?
I agree with you, it’s pretty on the nose.

Reactions: 13
Yes for sure! weird flex but ok. It’s like pushback against nepo baby mentality or something?
Deeply offensive to us actual westies. Bankstown born and bred baby - went to a private Catholic school out there though so still v happy to aknowledge my actual privilege. I’m an upper class bogan westie 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 18
The complaining must have worked as I can see the usual Friday episode of You Beauty in my Spotify feed this morning.
---
The complaining must have worked as I can see the usual Friday episode of You Beauty in my Spotify feed this morning.
Actually scrap that, looks like Spotify has synched up with my subscription 😆

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 2
That class talk was so odd. It made me wonder if she is trying to make her success sound more significant by making out that she came from the rough side of the tracks or something?

Her upbringing was pretty humble relative to the likes of the Freedman/Lavignes, but by broader standards she is very middle Australia.

The part of Sydney she is from is definitely no ghetto, it is very middle class and she went to a very middle class school.

If she went to the Watsons Bay Hotel and wasn’t wearing the “right” clothes I am guessing that she just didn’t go out much at all because the girls from Woolwich have always mixed with the private boys’ schools in that area which are exxy at around $45k per annum.

Reactions: 12
Wow they back flipped on that quickly!!!

They could probably film all the episodes and keep that for subscribers. A lot of the content doesn’t work that well with voice only. I wouldn’t still subscribe, but it’s a very easy way to add additional value to subscribers. Or can you watch them already?

Reactions: 5
Curiosity got the better of me and I listened to Spendy Savey. Wondered why it was so long (12 minutes 😂), but it was because there was a bit spiel from Mia at the start apologising. There wasn’t *that* much backlash in the You Beauty group and probably just as many supportive comments, so wondering where else they got feedback from or if download numbers dropped a lot overall or what happened for such a spectacular backflip.

I hate the comparison to a magazine. It’s not really like that at all. A magazine is a physical item that costs money to manufacture and transport, per person. Their podcast is more one less the same cost whether one person listens or a million, whether the person is in Sydney or in London.

Reactions: 12
I'm so tired of them asking for us to subscribe and pay extra in order to 'support women's media.' If we are already listening and reading, then we currently are supporting them, and they are already making huge amounts of money through advertsising. There are hundreds of other things (of much higher quality with correct grammar and syntax) that we can read and listen to for free, too!

Reactions: 21
I'm so tired of them asking for us to subscribe and pay extra in order to 'support women's media.' If we are already listening and reading, then we currently are supporting them, and they are already making huge amounts of money through advertsising. There are hundreds of other things (of much higher quality with correct grammar and syntax) that we can read and listen to for free, too!
Also.. the more I listen to Mia, the more I worry about the working conditions and pay of staff. Are they getting their piece of the subs pie?

Reactions: 17
Also.. the more I listen to Mia, the more I worry about the working conditions and pay of staff. Are they getting their piece of the subs pie?
I agree. I think they are really underpaid at MM. and conditions are not good. I really wouldn’t want to work there. They are seem to talk way too much about how much they “work”, it seems pretty all consuming.

Reactions: 16
There’s an argument about Mia happening on the group right now…..
---
I agree. I think they are really underpaid at MM. and conditions are not good. I really wouldn’t want to work there. They are seem to talk way too much about how much they “work”, it seems pretty all consuming.
I also wonder if any are part of a union? Everyone here will have differing views, but Mia has some STRONG anti-union vibes.

Reactions: 13
Mia’s pro employer, anti working from home, anti work life balance, anti union sentiment is ick. It’s okay for Holly, Jessie, and to an extent Clair but everyone else there must have a pretty awful time.

Reactions: 17
Mia’s pro employer, anti working from home, anti work life balance, anti union sentiment is ick. It’s okay for Holly, Jessie, and to an extent Clair but everyone else there must have a pretty awful time.
It’s worse that she tries to pretend like she isn’t. Great PR attempt but I can’t be fooled. So many red flags.

Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.