Mamamia #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Why over exaggerate the hours of birth, when my sister had her babies, sure she was taken in a few hours earlier but if you ask her how long she was in labour?
1 hour is her answeršŸ˜†
Itā€™s a very strange flex. I mean she could have said she was in active labour for 15-18 hrs which is the truth and itā€™s not nothing, but itā€™s in the realm of normal or regular. But, given many women have light labour pains for a couple of days before actually getting to active labour, 62 hrs would be normal for many. I am over 36 weeks at the moment and for the past few days have had some cramping pains, probably Braxton Hicks, but if I started counting now and then went into labour it would be longer than 62hrs. Itā€™s just not a number you should count. If your able to exercise, do housework, eat, cook dinner, watch a movie, sleep, you are not in labour.

Reactions: 15
Jessie says that breaking her leg was more painful than childbirthā€¦. Butā€¦ she also had an epidural. Could that have been a relevant factor. šŸ¤£ Christ.

At pains to point out how ā€œeasyā€ she finds it looking after the baby, and how she is ā€œin heavenā€. How easy and natural bf is for her.

Giiiiirl. I feel bad for new mums listening to this crap and thinking that this is an accurate description of childbirth and postpartum. I thought people had long since stopped bullshitting about the bliss of it all but not Jessie.

Holly and Mia (but particularly Holly) have spoken very honestly about new parenthood in the past. It was palpable how much side eye Holly wouldā€™ve been giving as Jessie banged on endlessly about how easy she has found it all.

Reactions: 16
And no shame to anyone, but she made a huge deal out of the perfect timing so it sounds like she was trying to hold off, but actually she was in very early labour. People walk around for weeks at 3cm.
I was literally teaching 6 year olds for an entire week at 3cm dilated and thought that level of pain was normal for the end of pregnancy šŸ˜‚ love that she kept the epi on the down low til now. Thanks for the recap so I donā€™t have to endure listening to that drivel

Reactions: 11
I was literally teaching 6 year olds for an entire week at 3cm dilated and thought that level of pain was normal for the end of pregnancy šŸ˜‚ love that she kept the epi on the down low til now. Thanks for the recap so I donā€™t have to endure listening to that drivel
To be fair, someone can be contracting heavily and in a lot of pain but not progressing much while someone else could be walking around at 3cm and not feeling anything. I didnā€™t feel much until 6cm with my first, but I wouldnā€™t judge someone who felt more pain before that point. I have pretty crappy pregnancies with HG, so labour is the easy part for me. Definitely found the recap of the birth story amusing, though, and agree that her report of a 60 hour labour was highly exaggerated!

Reactions: 7
When I saw the podcast in my feed I was like, do we really need just under an hour reliving your birth story?

Reactions: 10
The person that Newhere2 screenshots above is right. Everyone wants to talk about birth after having a baby. It is totally self indulgent to dedicate a whole podcast to it. Really surprised that Mia and Holly didnā€™t point this out to her. She will cringe in 5 years time.

They are getting a bit too much like the Kardashianā€™s in the over sharing

šŸ‘šŸ‘ I'm glad not everyone sucks up to Jessie/Mia.
Look, this might be unpopular, but I actually think it is perfectly okay for women to want to share their positive birth stories, and I strongly feel that it is unfair to suggest that a woman cannot do so for fear of upsetting someone else who had a traumatic experience. I am absolutely on board with content and/or trigger warnings, so that people can choose to avoid content that is triggering or upsetting for them. Of course we shouldnā€™t go around sharing our stories with others at random and without permission. However, many people enjoy listening to positive birth stories. I especially loved them prior to having my first child, and I still love listening to podcasts like Australian Birth Stories. Some will find them indulgent and thatā€™s fine, but they have a place.

Many, many women have positive birth experiences and I donā€™t see why everything must be doom and gloom about birth. That leads to unnecessary fear and worry for new mums. I completely agree that Jessie warrants criticism for inflating the length of her labour etc, but if she or any other mum feels like they would relive their birth experience, that doesnā€™t take away from another personā€™s traumatic experience and their right to grieve that. Lots of women love pregnancy ā€” but for me it is horrendous, endless nausea and vomiting with not a second of relief until the placenta is out. Iā€™m not going to go around saying other women canā€™t share that they enjoyed their pregnancies, just because I have feelings of deep sadness around my own experiences. So Iā€™m not sure why I canā€™t say that Iā€™d happily give birth over again, because that has been the good part for me. Iā€™ve had women who judged me for needing anti-emetics to survive pregnancy get up in arms and tell me I was silly for not having pain relief in labour.

I think the real issues arise where we donā€™t acknowledge that we have been fortunate in a certain domain and that others arenā€™t less successful etc because theyā€™ve struggled. Thatā€™s probably more the issue with Jessie than her having a positive birth story.

Reactions: 12
Everyone is different. I was induced so from zero to full on contractions in a matter on minutes. Every two mins for 13 hrs and was only at 3cm..U better believe I got the bloody epidural at that point. šŸ¤£
Oh same šŸ˜‚ I made to 6cm at 8 hours. I didnā€™t realise you were supposed to have breaks in between contractions until I did the labour class again when pregnant with my second šŸ˜…. Totally different to this situation!

Sheā€™s talking as if labour isnā€™t that bad and she held off until the ā€œperfect momentā€, which was really just as soon as she got there. As soon as she couldnā€™t talk through contractions, which is when midwives usually say itā€™s time to head to hospital.

Thereā€™s no prize for labour. Itā€™s not a competition. The whole ā€œ62 hoursā€ and then simultaneously trying to say it was hard, but actually it wasnā€™t because sheā€™s amazing is just šŸ˜µā€šŸ’«

Reactions: 9
Oh same šŸ˜‚ I made to 6cm at 8 hours. I didnā€™t realise you were supposed to have breaks in between contractions until I did the labour class again when pregnant with my second šŸ˜…. Totally different to this situation!

Sheā€™s talking as if labour isnā€™t that bad and she held off until the ā€œperfect momentā€, which was really just as soon as she got there. As soon as she couldnā€™t talk through contractions, which is when midwives usually say itā€™s time to head to hospital.

Thereā€™s no prize for labour. Itā€™s not a competition. The whole ā€œ62 hoursā€ and then simultaneously trying to say it was hard, but actually it wasnā€™t because sheā€™s amazing is just šŸ˜µā€šŸ’«
Hahaha yes, I had no idea either ! Just wondered how people do it when there was literally no time to catch my breath. Boo to being induced šŸ˜ž.

Ah I see, so soon as it got a little tough she was out. I started listening but lost interest šŸ¤£.

The 62 hrs thing is just cringe. She's on that post birth high and telling all from the rooftops. Give it a few months.

Reactions: 6
Look, this might be unpopular, but I actually think it is perfectly okay for women to want to share their positive birth stories, and I strongly feel that it is unfair to suggest that a woman cannot do so for fear of upsetting someone else who had a traumatic experience. I am absolutely on board with content and/or trigger warnings, so that people can choose to avoid content that is triggering or upsetting for them. Of course we shouldnā€™t go around sharing our stories with others at random and without permission. However, many people enjoy listening to positive birth stories. I especially loved them prior to having my first child, and I still love listening to podcasts like Australian Birth Stories. Some will find them indulgent and thatā€™s fine, but they have a place.

Many, many women have positive birth experiences and I donā€™t see why everything must be doom and gloom about birth. That leads to unnecessary fear and worry for new mums. I completely agree that Jessie warrants criticism for inflating the length of her labour etc, but if she or any other mum feels like they would relive their birth experience, that doesnā€™t take away from another personā€™s traumatic experience and their right to grieve that. Lots of women love pregnancy ā€” but for me it is horrendous, endless nausea and vomiting with not a second of relief until the placenta is out. Iā€™m not going to go around saying other women canā€™t share that they enjoyed their pregnancies, just because I have feelings of deep sadness around my own experiences. So Iā€™m not sure why I canā€™t say that Iā€™d happily give birth over again, because that has been the good part for me. Iā€™ve had women who judged me for needing anti-emetics to survive pregnancy get up in arms and tell me I was silly for not having pain relief in labour.

I think the real issues arise where we donā€™t acknowledge that we have been fortunate in a certain domain and that others arenā€™t less successful etc because theyā€™ve struggled. Thatā€™s probably more the issue with Jessie than her having a positive birth story.
I agree with sharing positive birth stories but I do think peopleā€™s issue with Jessie is the attention seeking efforts, the inflating stories and everything being turned into self promotion. I would also add that during the telling of her story, all three of them ventured into valuing one type of birth over others. From someone who had really positive csection stories I am fully open and expressive of how wonderful they were for me, but it does seem that that is not accepted as ā€œsharingā€ a positive story. It seems to be only one type of birth and itā€™s to e one that Jessie had. It does seem disingenuous by all three of them to talk about this birth as just one mother telling her story when itā€™s actually being used for a multiple of dollar making uses, as the ā€œperfectā€ birth story. Would she be sharing it as openly if it wasnā€™t all she had dreamt of? Probably not.

• Heart
I agree with sharing positive birth stories but I do think peopleā€™s issue with Jessie is the attention seeking efforts, the inflating stories and everything being turned into self promotion. I would also add that during the telling of her story, all three of them ventured into valuing one type of birth over others. From someone who had really positive csection stories I am fully open and expressive of how wonderful they were for me, but it does seem that that is not accepted as ā€œsharingā€ a positive story. It seems to be only one type of birth and itā€™s to e one that Jessie had. It does seem disingenuous by all three of them to talk about this birth as just one mother telling her story when itā€™s actually being used for a multiple of dollar making uses, as the ā€œperfectā€ birth story. Would she be sharing it as openly if it wasnā€™t all she had dreamt of? Probably not.
Oh yeah, for sure! My comments were more specifically around that one person who felt that itā€™s a slap in the face to say ā€œyou loved your birth and would relive that painā€. Jessieā€™s vibe is definitelyā€¦ self inflating, I agree. The 62 hours labour thing is absolutely silly. In retrospect I probably had a day of contractions that I thought were just BH before my first birth, but I wouldnā€™t count that. I do know that I felt quite a high after my births and was keen to process them. I donā€™t think thatā€™s awful, but itā€™s how you go about it. Iā€™m sure if youā€™ve had a difficult birth, you need more time to process before talking.

Jessie and Mia irritate me, donā€™t get me wrong. I havenā€™t listened to the story in full and Iā€™m sure some of it is insufferable and also knowing Mamamia contains inaccurate comments about labour (Iā€™m still a bit bitter about the HG controversy recently). Iā€™m a huge believer in the idea that any type of birth can be positive, the key is how the birthing person feels about it.

Reactions: 8
I am an avid reader of these threads and also a regular listener of Outloud. I adore Holly, I think sheā€™s the star of the show and must have the patience of a saint to record a daily podcast with the other two.

I rarely comment on here but I genuinely cannot believe they called the podcast on Jessieā€™s birth an ā€œemergencyā€ podcast. Just unreal. They are supposed to be a news and media company, not podcastings answer to the Kardashians. I get recording the episode so quickly after the birth to capture it all, and the need to share her story but goodness gracious, itā€™s not the Wimbledon final, it didnā€™t need an emergency podcast immediately after the birth to capitalise on the situation. Listeners could have hung on for another month if theyā€™d just recorded it and kept in the archives to go at a later date ffs.

Iā€™m just happy it was on a separate episode so I could hit delete straight away (and hope it doesnā€™t sneak up again through other eps)

• Haha
Reactions: 7
I am an avid reader of these threads and also a regular listener of Outloud. I adore Holly, I think sheā€™s the star of the show and must have the patience of a saint to record a daily podcast with the other two.

I rarely comment on here but I genuinely cannot believe they called the podcast on Jessieā€™s birth an ā€œemergencyā€ podcast. Just unreal. They are supposed to be a news and media company, not podcastings answer to the Kardashians. I get recording the episode so quickly after the birth to capture it all, and the need to share her story but goodness gracious, itā€™s not the Wimbledon final, it didnā€™t need an emergency podcast immediately after the birth to capitalise on the situation. Listeners could have hung on for another month if theyā€™d just recorded it and kept in the archives to go at a later date ffs.
I feel so sorry for Holly. Outloud has literally become 'Mia's family news show.' Holly could go to any podcast anywhere and do well!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.