Madeleine Olivia #2 Sustainability is so 2018, Buy my affiliates if you want to be green!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Another thing that's winding me up is she keeps on saying her sister will have this or that, did her sister have nothing in her home until Maddie was renovating? Did she live with no bath, no table or whatever else Maddie is offloading in her direction
šŸ¤£ I think 'giving this to my Sister' is Maddie code for taking it to the dump or selling on a marketplace.
I highly doubt her Sister wants or needs Maddie's cast off kitchen worktops or old chairs ect. If it really is the case, then her Sister is setting a far better example than Maddie does.

Reactions: 13
Itā€™s probably part of her sisterā€™s paid job to offload the stuff so technically not a lie to say sheā€™s giving it all to her sisterā€¦ how very Madeleine.

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 6
Does she not have an exhaust fan above the electric hob built into the island? In a recent vlog she was saying how steamy the kitchen was while cooking. Wouldnā€™t it smell really bad with no fan to clear out the cooking odours? And all the steam would have nowhere to go

Reactions: 4
Just admit you want to buy things because you want to! Flippin' heck! Then you'd probably find less people critiquing you Maddie šŸ™„

Reactions: 8
Does she not have an exhaust fan above the electric hob built into the island? In a recent vlog she was saying how steamy the kitchen was while cooking. Wouldnā€™t it smell really bad with no fan to clear out the cooking odours? And all the steam would have nowhere to go
You're right! Seems impractical, especailly given all the renovation work they've done, not to have some sort of exhaust. I think you can get hobs with little exhausts that sit in the bench now too? I saw one on IG. It sort of popped up a few inches when needed while cooking. But I don't believe she has one.

I do think that she'll keep the items she's bought for a very long time but replacing things because you don't like how they look is not sustainable. She buys so much stuff, is having work done rather than repairing things, whilst lecturing people who are likely buying fast fashion because they can't afford expensive linen fox items. So infuriating, isn't it?
it shows her ignorance. how long has she been a "minimalist/sustainability influencer"? nobody starts off knowing everything but by now I'd expect her to have educated herself about these issues. It's baffling to me that she thinks she can mention thrifting here and there in order to make herself seem more sustainable, when she's ripped out half her house unnecessarily and bought (been gifted) hundreds of things to fill it with!

I can understand why they moved in such a big house if they're planning on having a big family. but if they're not then... the only reason they've got such a mansion (because that#s what it is to a lot of us!) is out of greed. Not that it's any of our business if they want children or how many. but I am going to criticise a self-professed minimalist for upsizing into a giant home when their previous one was enough space for a couple and their pets.
itā€™s so infuriating, the thing is no one is perfect we are all trying our best to do the least harm and least damage to the world we live in (at least I asssume those who watch Maddie are at least veggie and an environmentalist to some extreme). I always think about when I went vegan and someone asked about what cleaning and toiletry products I use, and I remember being a bit embarrassed that I hadnā€™t really thought much beyond food, leather and beauty products. But I took it on and tried to improve. Whereas Maddie cannot take any criticism. She wonā€™t keep all these items, she didnā€™t from her last place either. But if anyone mentions it itā€™s attacking, bullying, trolls etc.

the house is a waste really, itā€™s just empty space theyā€™re paying to heat, unless theyā€™re having 4+ kids, which if they are what does that say about them as environmentalists and sustainability. She only bought the house because I sue grew up in a big house and thatā€™s what she equates success too, and itā€™s her way of rubbing her ā€œwealthā€(whatever that may be her engagement is tanking)

• Heart
Reactions: 8
(at least I asssume those who watch Maddie are at least veggie
I'm neither vegetarian nor vegan. I started watching her videos as I related to the minimalist/sustainable lifestyle she promoted at that time. Now I watch her in disbelief at how easily she let her values slide when the money started to roll in.

Reactions: 12
To be honest though, I don't think she's ever been more than superficially minimalist/sustainable. She basically fell into it as an offshoot of the whole creepy weird vegan Freelee/Durianraper crowd. Madeleines unique selling point was that she didn't really fit into that crowd because she was too posh and uptight - she almost created a niche for privileged posh girls who didn't fit the vegan/crusty/hippy/bikini babe influencer stereotype. I cannot imagine for one second that Madeleine enjoyed travelling around roughing it without all her comforts, and the lack of ability to control everything would have driven her batshit crazy (and that's with her wee french bulldog Alex rushing round trying to fix everything she didn't like.

I get the feeling that these days she is trying to brand herself as some kind of vegan/style/decor Nigella but she fails because she lacks Nigella's warmth and sexiness, and she isn't really an inventive or creative cook. In fact, if she wasn't vlogging I don't think she would cook at all because she's far more interested in either eating out or packaged and pre-prepared meals and snacks.

• Haha
Reactions: 16
if she wasn't vlogging I don't think she would cook at all because she's far more interested in either eating out or packaged and pre-prepared meals and snacks.
never thought of that before but now you mention it, it's so true! I've noticed her love (and reliance!) on packaged snacks and processed vegan foods. if she really loved to cook so much surely she wouldn't want to eat these all the time? here and there, yes. but she almost lives off them when she's not cooking somethig for one of her videos

I lolled so hard

"Also if it for financial gain it is illegal. Unless your video was not monetised on this occasion?"

I never thought about this! If it's in a monetised Youtube video, is definitely not for personal use
that comment is wrong though, it is legal to forage. You can pick anything growing wild (fruit, flowers, funi, and foliage) on any land as long as it is for personal consumption (Section 4 (Property) of the Theft Act (1968)) - not that hard to find if you google. Monetising the video doesn't mean what maddie foraged for is no longer for personal consumption, she's the only one who used what she foraged. there's a lot of things maddie can be criticised for but this isn't one of them, in my opinion.

Reactions: 13
Interesting point @marysmith93. I hope you donā€™t mind - I struggle to read long horizontal screengrabs of text so posting these comments again from my phone in case anyone else is the same.

@snarkvark - I hear what youā€™re saying. The ā€˜other commercial useā€™ wording of the law applies to her though, no? Her social media content is a lucrative business.

Iā€™m unsure but if it stands up so many instahuns will currently be falling foul of this.
Even if ok legally it still feels like not a great thing to be widely encouraging in any case imo.

Attachments

Reactions: 5
I'm neither vegetarian nor vegan. I started watching her videos as I related to the minimalist/sustainable lifestyle she promoted at that time. Now I watch her in disbelief at how easily she let her values slide when the money started to roll in.
I stand corrected. Probably more accurate to say people who watch at least began because she is sustainable, vegan or minimalist. Because in the nicest possible way, even when I really liked her content and watched it all the time it wasnā€™t for her personality alone

Another video, more purchases (because she wanted an antique frame made for her tv), delivery of new lights for the lounge and the irony of a link to her book telling us how to live simply and sustainably šŸ™„

• Haha
Surely putting an antique frame around a TV isn't going to fool anyone that it's a painting?! She wants the 'Country life' old fashioned aesthetic but still wants to watch her trashy reality shows on a 55" flat screen!

If you pay to have sky and an X box, then you obviously enjoy watching TV, so why the snobbery over it?

• Haha
Reactions: 14
Surely putting an antique frame around a TV isn't going to fool anyone that it's a painting?! She wants the 'Country life' old fashioned aesthetic but still wants to watch her trashy reality shows on a 55" flat screen!

If you pay to have sky and an X box, then you obviously enjoy watching TV, so why the snobbery over it?
Yeah the Frame TVs look good I think, but they still look like televisions. Not artwork.

They are still just black unless you have them turned on all the time, right? I feel like they are just geared towards interior design influencers so they can turn it on for photos and then turn it off again?

Also I clicked through and the antique frame she bought for it is Ā£300 šŸ¤Æ
That's a crazy cost to me on top of the cost of the TV.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.