Madeleine Olivia #2 Sustainability is so 2018, Buy my affiliates if you want to be green!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I mean she could have just said "I've been gifted this windows laptop which is made from recycled plastic which is a great idea. As I already have enough computer equipment though, I'd love to donate this to a local charity to use in their business or to a local school who might have some students who need a laptop" But of course it's greedy gimme Maddie we are talking about here. She needs that money to buy another William Morris print cushion cover. Gross.
She'll sell it on fb marketplace.

• Haha
Reactions: 5
I do find it amusing when people forage for natural items for a wreath and then use a whole lot of hot glue to stick it together. With a chicken wire wreath base and maybe some natural twine they could put a wreath together almost as easily (And plenty of florists have videos on IG and YT showing how). Then at the end of the season you deconstruct, put the organic items in the compost, and keep the chicken wire base for next year.
Ok what got me is her saying go the park. How many people will do that cos Maddie said its ok. Also lets be real. How many of the brain dead idiots really going to deconstruct the wreath and compost it? Just leave the hedges and trees alone for everyone to enjoy!! Pick up what is on the ground.What is the point of cutting beautiful and maybe endangered foliage to be dumped after christmas? Where is the sustainability in that?

Seen a comment calling her out for advising people to forage in parks. Lets see how many people attack that person or Maddie taking it down. Lol. Maddie with approx 550k subs. 15k average views and 1k likes. Go get a proper job. Your channel is dying. People onto her!

Reactions: 9
I haven't watched her last few videos because I honestly don't have any interest in her content any more, but this came up on my suggested list. Clickbait much? Has she run out of Chia seeds or had enough of making 100 changes to the house at once?
Screenshot_20211207-171927_YouTube.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 11
I haven't watched her last few videos because I honestly don't have any interest in her content any more, but this came up on my suggested list. Clickbait much? Has she run out of Chia seeds or had enough of making 100 changes to the house at once?
View attachment 910814
The latter. Obviously recognised that she doesn't have any interesting content, so resorted to clickbait.

• Haha
Reactions: 12
@Tom_Nook it's 20 minutes of faffing about with mince pies in the Aga, the coffee maker, fancy bread and jam. I skipped most of it 🙄

• Haha
Yup skipped 90% of that.
Does she realise moaning that her tens of thousands of pounds worth of home renovations is 'getting to them' is so painfully privileged and obnoxious.
I think she just does it to wind people up at this point, or is she that clueless? When so many people are struggling and utility bills are through the roof. The way she wastes and throws around money is ugly.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
Yup skipped 90% of that.
Does she realise moaning that her tens of thousands of pounds worth of home renovations is 'getting to them' is so painfully privileged and obnoxious.
I think she just does it to wind people up at this point, or is she that clueless? When so many people are struggling and utility bills are through the roof. The way she wastes and throws around money is ugly.
She is just insufferable.

Reactions: 5
Moans about workmanship.. fecks up with painting and shrugs shoulders with a hey ho!! But saying before that she is a perfectionist. 🙈🙈🙈🙈

Reactions: 7
I'm not a minimalist, by any stretch but Maddie has based a career on it, so it really bugged me in her video tonight where she said they were replacing a radiator in the living room. No mention that it was broken, just choosing to replace it. How many things now have they replaced just because they don't like it?

I have wardrobes that I bought in 2005, I don't really like them anymore because my tastes have changed and the doors don't shut properly either but I'm loth to replace them because they aren't falling apart. I can afford to replace them but I was brought up to not waste things, to use things until they fall apart or mend and make do and I haven't even based a career on minimalism, sustainability and protecting the planet. I don't even think people can't change their views on things but the news is all around us that our consumption is driving climate change and Maddie is making money off that whilst still being incredibly wasteful.

Reactions: 19
I'm not a minimalist, by any stretch but Maddie has based a career on it, so it really bugged me in her video tonight where she said they were replacing a radiator in the living room. No mention that it was broken, just choosing to replace it. How many things now have they replaced just because they don't like it?

I have wardrobes that I bought in 2005, I don't really like them anymore because my tastes have changed and the doors don't shut properly either but I'm loth to replace them because they aren't falling apart. I can afford to replace them but I was brought up to not waste things, to use things until they fall apart or mend and make do and I haven't even based a career on minimalism, sustainability and protecting the planet. I don't even think people can't change their views on things but the news is all around us that our consumption is driving climate change and Maddie is making money off that whilst still being incredibly wasteful.
I'm the same, I have so many things that I once liked but now are anywhere from meh (kitchen chairs come to mind) to actually super uncomfortable amd hated (like my Ikea Kivik sofa. It's probably the most uncomfortable sofa I have ever owned, I hate it.)

But I have made it my mission to not buy anything I already own. So the sofa sucks. Well, I get up and move then. My kitchen chairs look dated? A seat cover made from thrifted curtains looks great.

Can she just... not? Not be such a superficial person? She's more privileged than 99.5% of the world, yet she's never happy with what she already has. It's sad and sickening at the same time. I never understood leaving their old house either, at least not while still under the impression that they're supposed to be minimalist. It was perfect for a couple with a dog, and even for one child it would have still been more than enough.

I know I know it's harsh but whining about stuff like having neighbours, cars driving by at night and street lights shining in their windows is such a privileged view on why you're selling your house.

Also this idea of having a "starter home". This is more a general complaint, not a Maddie specific one, but damn, it's just so symbolic for everything going wrong.

Never satisfied with where you are, never working with what you have but instead just chucking away the old and buying the new, wether it be a phone, laptop or house. Any time I watch Homes under the Hammer, its waste waste waste. You buy a property, and even if its renovated, you redo it anyway because the windows are not your style and the floors are not the exact shade of grey you'd like and the bathroom tiles are not metro style. Three years later you sell it and the next buyer does exactly the same thing, ripping out the carpets or vinyl or what have you, redoing the kitchen, adding another extension because who needs green space and grass and soil, chopping down any bush, tree or flower to tarmac it for two more car parking spaces.

You can see it with Maddie very much but it's also something I've experienced and see with others. Buying does not help with the alienation from our human nature and how working feels hollow and senseless. Its something corporations want to make us believe (see this "buying yourself stuff to be a minimalist" trend, too), but it's hollow and without satisfaction.

• Heart
Reactions: 26
View attachment 888861

It's genuinely laughable at this point. You can't post about multiple sofa/armchair purchases on your home account and then this on your main? Also, I remember that you could interact directly with her up until some months ago, but now her Stories interaction are off. I wonder if she got tired of people reacting "badly" to her stuff.
I know this was a while ago but I just think that Maddie doesn’t think of homeware as part of consumerism nor does she see an issue with fast interior fashions. She only sees fast fashion/clothing, beauty, makeup type things as being the issue environmentally and as long as she’s not buying from fast fashion brands and she’s only buying vegan and ethical items it’s still her being environmental. She lives in the country side so she’s still “slow living”. The homeware she buys is expensive and “will last a lifetime”, or is handmade or is environmental or is just something she loves.

And as a result she’s still minimalist and environmentally conscious because she’s being baggy eco fabric handmade dresses for stupid prices and not being from PLT or custom made tables and not stuff B&M

• Heart
Reactions: 13
When she whined "but I wanted to heat them up in the Agaaaaaaaa" within the first minute I wanted to slap her. She really is reverting to type. :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Also this idea of having a "starter home". This is more a general complaint, not a Maddie specific one, but damn, it's just so symbolic for everything going wrong.

Never satisfied with where you are, never working with what you have but instead just chucking away the old and buying the new, wether it be a phone, laptop or house. Any time I watch Homes under the Hammer, its waste waste waste. You buy a property, and even if its renovated, you redo it anyway because the windows are not your style and the floors are not the exact shade of grey you'd like and the bathroom tiles are not metro style. Three years later you sell it and the next buyer does exactly the same thing, ripping out the carpets or vinyl or what have you, redoing the kitchen, adding another extension because who needs green space and grass and soil, chopping down any bush, tree or flower to tarmac it for two more car parking spaces.
Well put, and why do they even need a house that size anyway? The energy consumption for the two of them just to heat the place is going to be sky high.

I bought a 2 bed terrace and people were assuming I wouldn't stay there for more than 3 years. Why would I need anything bigger when it's just me?!

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I know this was a while ago but I just think that Maddie doesn’t think of homeware as part of consumerism nor does she see an issue with fast interior fashions. She only sees fast fashion/clothing, beauty, makeup type things as being the issue environmentally and as long as she’s not buying from fast fashion brands and she’s only buying vegan and ethical items it’s still her being environmental. She lives in the country side so she’s still “slow living”. The homeware she buys is expensive and “will last a lifetime”, or is handmade or is environmental or is just something she loves.

And as a result she’s still minimalist and environmentally conscious because she’s being baggy eco fabric handmade dresses for stupid prices and not being from PLT or custom made tables and not stuff B&M
I do think that she'll keep the items she's bought for a very long time but replacing things because you don't like how they look is not sustainable. She buys so much stuff, is having work done rather than repairing things, whilst lecturing people who are likely buying fast fashion because they can't afford expensive linen fox items. So infuriating, isn't it?

Well put, and why do they even need a house that size anyway? The energy consumption for the two of them just to heat the place is going to be sky high.

I bought a 2 bed terrace and people were assuming I wouldn't stay there for more than 3 years. Why would I need anything bigger when it's just me?!
They had the aga on, the fire and most probably the central heating too and Maddie was complaining how warm it was in the kitchen, the fuel consumption for two people must be ridiculous. If my house gets too hot, I turn off the heating and or the fire.

pretty much everything they've replaced or "renovated" so far.

I just think that Maddie doesn’t think of homeware as part of consumerism nor does she see an issue with fast interior fashions.
it shows her ignorance. how long has she been a "minimalist/sustainability influencer"? nobody starts off knowing everything but by now I'd expect her to have educated herself about these issues. It's baffling to me that she thinks she can mention thrifting here and there in order to make herself seem more sustainable, when she's ripped out half her house unnecessarily and bought (been gifted) hundreds of things to fill it with!

I can understand why they moved in such a big house if they're planning on having a big family. but if they're not then... the only reason they've got such a mansion (because that#s what it is to a lot of us!) is out of greed. Not that it's any of our business if they want children or how many. but I am going to criticise a self-professed minimalist for upsizing into a giant home when their previous one was enough space for a couple and their pets.

It’s the endless justification for renovating & replacing that grinds my gears. Like making a massive deal of all the things “wrong” in the bathroom. There was nothing that couldn’t be patched up or lived with. There will always be a reason to buy new, buy additional, replace, renovate etc if you are looking to justify your decisions. Ultimately it boils down to wanting things “just so” but she can’t admit that. I suppose every time she goes on about these made up reasons there is a hope of convincing her followers the same way she has convinced herself.

Hey guys, i'm still catching up with this thread (somewhere around page 25 rn) but I just think it's so sad to see how much she has changed. I'm so glad to see so many like minded people here! The amount of shopping she does is so bizarre to me.

I have a lot of thoughts and feelings, but I would like to start here. A video that really inspired me back in the day to look at my own (spending) habits was this video from Ingrild Nilsen (man I miss her so much on youtube):

I highly recommend watching it. I think she makes very good points and the way she went about it was great. I also think there's a fine line between being minimal and punishing yourself, but if you set a couple of rules like she does I think you can really make it work. I started applying it to my own life and I noticed that I would buy things when I was very sad or my depression was a lot worse and I wanted to buy my sadness away. I think this is something a lot of us can relate to, right? It's a learning process and something you have to acknowledge, too. I'm a few years into it now and now I really don't buy much, I try to re-use clothes as much and as long as I possibly can. My mom is good at repairing clothes, so she always repairs them as best as she can so I can continue to wear them, even clothes that were cheap and easy to replace. When I do buy something I make sure they are from bio cotton for example, and only when I really really need them. If the items are not available in a "good material" I buy the kind that I know will last me the longest (for example my rain boots had holes in them and I re-purchased the same kind because the previous ones lasted me many many years, other kinds have never lasted that long).

An interesting point Ingrid raised was not putting labels on things and setting set/strict boundaries but just be curious and open-minded and let yourself feel certain emotions in stead of trying to hide them. It's very clear to me what Maddie is doing right now. She is not happy and trying to cover it up, her coping mechanisms are very very bad. She always goes fully into something as a coping mechanism for whatever she's dealing with, but never touching on her real issues. She needs help, not more new items.

My partner works for Suez at a household waste centre, he's worked there for 20yrs. He sees people coming back every couple of years to tip their household furniture, ripped out fitted wardrobes, kitchens, TVs, sofas, beds, dining tables etc... He also sees the same people coming back who are involved in building work in their homes, ripping out walls, building extensions, new bathrooms, extending extensions, building offices at the bottom of the garden etc... It really does add to landfill, most of the stuff tipped isn't recycled. People like Maddie doing things that aren't needed are causing ecological disaster. I really hope Maddie keepd the things she has bought for this house for many years to come. My grandparents moved into their home in 1931 and when my grandad moved in with us 40yrs later he still had the same bedframes, wardrobes, dining table and chairs, Welsh dresser and display cabinets that they moved in with, all their big furniture, apart from 3 piece suite had never been replaced, that's minimalist and sustainable. Something we should all aspire to.

Another thing that's winding me up is she keeps on saying her sister will have this or that, did her sister have nothing in her home until Maddie was renovating? Did she live with no bath, no table or whatever else Maddie is offloading in her direction

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 20
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.