Made in Chelsea #4

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Honestly I don't really mind James and Maeva together, I do think to a point they're well suited but the big cynical part of me is just side-eying the fact that James still isn't learning any French (as far as we know anyway).

That seems like a big issue to me. Especially where starting a family is concerned. Being in a relationship with somebody who is bilingual but you have the same first language so you don't learn their second language, I get that- but Maeva's first language is French. It must be so frustrating for her to have to speak in her second language ALL the time, ok so they don't live in a majority french speaking country but like even at home with her partner that's still her only option? Based on that alone is why I think her and Miles seem to have more Chemistry, he understands who she is in French, even when they speak English to each other; rather than her constantly having to pre-emptively mentally translate her words and intentions, I think this is another reason she can come across as abrupt etc too. Just my 2cents on it.

• Heart
Reactions: 35
Also does anyone know why Ollie and Mark Francis truly hate each other?
I think it's linked to the fact that Ollie was best friends with Cheska, who Victoria, Mark's best friend (on the show at least), was vile to.

Reactions: 7
I know I’m naive but I actually thought Julian’s apology was good and sincere. He took a accountability.
So he lied to Tabitha, continued the spiel about being a good guy and a great communicator, got told he’d been found out, went to see Tabitha, told her he’d lied to protect her when his version of events was nothing that she’d need to be protected from!

He claims nothing happened despite this being a girl he had history with, but then when asked a direct question about whether he kissed this girl, pulls out the classic “I can’t remember” line citing tiredness. Plus his explanation that they shared a bed but “lay like sticks” hinted that he was somehow put out by that.

Holding your hands up and owning it is saying I am sorry, I was wrong, I messed up. He didn’t really do that. Instead he claimed his actions were all selfless -protecting Tabitha by lying to her, inviting this girl over to be chivalrous - so he can continue the myth that he’s a nice guy.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
Honestly I don't really mind James and Maeva together, I do think to a point they're well suited but the big cynical part of me is just side-eying the fact that James still isn't learning any French (as far as we know anyway).

That seems like a big issue to me. Especially where starting a family is concerned. Being in a relationship with somebody who is bilingual but you have the same first language so you don't learn their second language, I get that- but Maeva's first language is French. It must be so frustrating for her to have to speak in her second language ALL the time, ok so they don't live in a majority french speaking country but like even at home with her partner that's still her only option? Based on that alone is why I think her and Miles seem to have more Chemistry, he understands who she is in French, even when they speak English to each other; rather than her constantly having to pre-emptively mentally translate her words and intentions, I think this is another reason she can come across as abrupt etc too. Just my 2cents on it.
out of curiosity are you bilingual yourself? I speak French poorly but I don’t always have to translate back to English in my head, that’s not how it works for everyone. When I was learning French I was more immersed in it, my internal monologue would be in French. It would just feel a lot more hard work and more mentally draining.

maeva is obviously luent in English and she’s fully immersed in English, though I imagine for her French will come to her much easier.

i do agree it would be respectful of James to try and learn French, on a practical level as well so he can at least interact with her parents. I think a season or so ago he did try.

Reactions: 9
Also does anyone know why Ollie and Mark Francis truly hate each other?
Sam and tiff had broke up, and Ollie started texting tiff. Sam asked mark Francis to go with him to buy tiff flowers as he wanted advice, Ollie walked in and said he was also there buying tiff flowers. Mark Francis told toff and Victoria as it was obviously funny but said Ollie was like tinsel, tacky and naff. This then caused a big blow out between them and Rosie got involved and Rosie ended up calling mark Francis a bleep (wasn’t aired but was filmed). I think more went on behind the scenes but that’s the start I think.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 19
So he lied to Tabitha, continued the spiel about being a good guy and a great communicator, got told he’d been found out, went to see Tabitha, told her he’d lied to protect her when his version of events was nothing that she’d need to be protected from!

He claims nothing happened despite this being a girl he had history with, but then when asked a direct question about whether he kissed this girl, pulls out the classic “I can’t remember” line citing tiredness. Plus his explanation that they shared a bed but “lay like sticks” hinted that he was somehow put out by that.

Holding your hands up and owning it is saying I am sorry, I was wrong, I messed up. He didn’t really do that. Instead he claimed his actions were all selfless -protecting Tabitha by lying to her, inviting this girl over to be chivalrous - so he can continue the myth that he’s a nice guy.
Haha I didn’t watch the whole episode, the scene with Liv after and saying he doesn’t remember is ridiculous!!

Reactions: 4
I loved when Maeva and Miles used to speak to each other in French. I thought they were a smoking couple tbh 🤭

• Haha
Reactions: 24
Can't believe Victoria's boyfriend is in prison too!
Honestly would watch an entire spin off series just about this 😂 really surprised she’s stuck by him tbh. So sad for that little innocent baby to miss out on a father 😞

It's funny now that you mention it I've realised that I've never given much thought to how little Ollie seems to have done outside the show or gained from it, considering he's still on it. He does come across well on it but perhaps he's a bit more difficult to work with than it appears...
Or lazy? Like Jamie and Spencer (and Proudlock?) had that podcast from relatively early on, Spencer has other podcasts I believe? Didn’t a few of them do books too? The new gen are all trying their hand at vlogging and influencing which in fairness wasn’t as big a thing back in the day (but he fumbled that first on the platform advantage lol). It feels unfair to compare Jamie and Spencer’s businesses as they’re from super wealthy business owning families so got handed it on a plate. He’s just not really done much at all!

Last edited:
Reactions: 9
I think Miles and Maeva do belong together. When he was on Celebs go dating he kept harping on about how he had never loved anyone since her. Let's face it he has his pick of the women but you can tell he isn't interested in any of them on a serious level. However I do also think he probably does like men too so perhaps he is a little confused about what he really wants.
When Maeva first joined the cast and started hooking up with Miles again I got the impression that Miles still loved her but remembered how intense it was to be in a relationship with her so he didn't want to go back to that. The intensity between Maeva and James has just solidified that theory in my mind over time. Some people like to be with a really firey partner (and I assume James is one of those people otherwise he'd have ducked out a long time ago) but Miles seems like someone who prefers a chilled life.

I can't believe Miles can still be friends with Maeva after that whole thing last season where she offered to sleep with him just to hurt James though. That was so gross.

I thought Julius going to see a female friend could have been an innocent thing that was misconstrued until he said he couldn't remembered if they'd kissed. That was such a blatant cop out! If you genuinely have no romantic/sexual interest in someone then you would KNOW you hadn't kissed them, even if you couldn't remember the whole night, because you'd know that you wouldn't have wanted to. It was a bad lie when Louise used to say it years ago, and it's a bad lie when Julius says it now 😂 I wonder if it was an ex who's been on the show 🤔

Reactions: 12
I loved when Maeva and Miles used to speak to each other in French. I thought they were a smoking couple tbh 🤭
You can tell Miles, beyond the arrogance, has a semblance of a good heart and some intelligence/emotional intelligence. In that respect, he’s miles out of Maeva’s league.

Maeva, for all her bravado, is deeply insecure. She’s outspoken and brash and confrontational because she’s desperate to hide it. She’s attacking people before they get to her first. In a very rare display of vulnerability, she hinted as much in the latest episode that her relationship with James is very one sided. She’s given up any life she had in France. She doesn’t have family in the U.K. and despite having lived in the U.K. for a few years now, she says she has no friends here, which makes me think she probably invests all her time in her relationship and not into making new friendships. James wanted to move to the countryside so they moved to the countryside. James wanted a collie, so they got a collie. James is dictating the pace at which the relationship moves, not Maeva. She bends over backwards to appease James in many ways, but because she’s outspoken and brusque she doesn’t come across as the cliché of what we expect a “doormat” to look like.

when miles said their sex life was amazing a few seasons ago, I couldn’t help but think, yeh I bet it was. I bet it was because Maeva did exactly what you asked of her with no regard for her own pleasure because that’s exactly how she comes across. Someone desperately seeking approval and validation from men.

she never seemed to love miles for himself, she just seemed hurt and rejected that he dumped her. She’s never gotten over the rejection because her self esteem is so fragile. That’s why she keeps going back to him - if he wants her back then she’s revalidated. It’s not about missing him or any “chemistry” they have. Thats my take anyway!

When Maeva first joined the cast and started hooking up with Miles again I got the impression that Miles still loved her
I got the impression that Miles loved how much Maeva wanted him back! One big ego stroke for him!

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 36
out of curiosity are you bilingual yourself? I speak French poorly but I don’t always have to translate back to English in my head, that’s not how it works for everyone. When I was learning French I was more immersed in it, my internal monologue would be in French. It would just feel a lot more hard work and more mentally draining.

maeva is obviously luent in English and she’s fully immersed in English, though I imagine for her French will come to her much easier.

i do agree it would be respectful of James to try and learn French, on a practical level as well so he can at least interact with her parents. I think a season or so ago he did try.
I don't mean literally translate herself, I mean consider wording differences, tenses even, differences in cultural phrases, tonal usage etc. As you said, very draining.

Her English is amazing and I'm not at all critical of that, I just would find it annoying if my partner wasn't considering the mental capacity it takes to be doing that constantly.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 10

But when you live full time in a foreign country and are completely immersed in the culture, the language becomes second nature. You dream in your second language and sometimes you find it difficult to revert back to expressing yourself articulately in your native language because you aren’t using it so often. But, I do agree, James should also be learning French.

Oh look I’ve basically said the same as you 🙃😂

Reactions: 2
You can tell Miles, beyond the arrogance, has a semblance of a good heart and some intelligence/emotional intelligence. In that respect, he’s miles out of Maeva’s league.

Maeva, for all her bravado, is deeply insecure. She’s outspoken and brash and confrontational because she’s desperate to hide it. She’s attacking people before they get to her first. In a very rare display of vulnerability, she hinted as much in the latest episode that her relationship with James is very one sided. She’s given up any life she had in France. She doesn’t have family in the U.K. and despite having lived in the U.K. for a few years now, she says she has no friends here, which makes me think she probably invests all her time in her relationship and not into making new friendships. James wanted to move to the countryside so they moved to the countryside. James wanted a collie, so they got a collie. James is dictating the pace at which the relationship moves, not Maeva. She bends over backwards to appease James in many ways, but because she’s outspoken and brusque she doesn’t come across as the cliché of what we expect a “doormat” to look like.

when miles said their sex life was amazing a few seasons ago, I couldn’t help but think, yeh I bet it was. I bet it was because Maeva did exactly what you asked of her with no regard for her own pleasure because that’s exactly how she comes across. Someone desperately seeking approval and validation from men.

she never seemed to love miles for himself, she just seemed hurt and rejected that he dumped her. She’s never gotten over the rejection because her self esteem is so fragile. That’s why she keeps going back to him - if he wants her back then she’s revalidated. It’s not about missing him or any “chemistry” they have. Thats my take anyway!

I got the impression that Miles loved how much Maeva wanted him back! One big ego stroke for him!
Very interesting take. Never thought of Miles and Maeva that way before. But it is a new angle to the narcissistic supply in such relationships.

When they are together it is good tv for me. Maeva is one of the more entertaining ones in the cast in recent years.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12
Just caught upto episode 3 , not had chance to watch the 4th yet.

People have already said what I've been thinking on here so not much to say but looking forward to seeing what happens with Harvey and Emily.

Surely miles and verity has got to be a storyline and nothing else?

Inga and Sam Prince are pretty pointless additions to the show.

Is Paris still with her boyfriend?

Reactions: 6
But when you live full time in a foreign country and are completely immersed in the culture, the language becomes second nature. You dream in your second language and sometimes you find it difficult to revert back to expressing yourself articulately in your native language because you aren’t using it so often. But, I do agree, James should also be learning French.

Oh look I’ve basically said the same as you 🙃😂
I don't really want to say much about myself on this topic which is why I didn't answer the direct question about being bilingual, but I speak more than two languages. I don't need the thought process explaining to me. I'm simply saying it gets tiring? That's literally my only point. Seemingly the exact thing you both are saying to me whilst telling me I've misunderstood how being bilingual works yet agreeing with me? [Rhetorical]

My situation isn't too dissimilar to Maeva. I don't speak French but likewise, on a daily basis I speak my first language least, being immersed into another country, language and culture etc doesn't make a difference to what I said in relation to James picking up a few simple phrases for her, if even only to show her it is a thought in his mind.

Reactions: 6
I know people probably find it sexy but I cringed a bit at the thought of Miles speaking French during sex.

Obviously no issue against him speaking another language just but just the thought of him using it in that context was a bit icky to me

• Haha
Reactions: 20
I know people probably find it sexy but I cringed a bit at the thought of Miles speaking French during sex.

Obviously no issue against him speaking another language just but just the thought of him using it in that context was a bit icky to me
It must just be something he does with English girls surely? because I cannot imagine it having the same affect on French girls or him speaking English seductively during sex to French girls 😂
It would cringe the life out of me personally but language of love and all that haha!

• Haha
I found that really funny tbh, I'd be thinking 'I have no idea what any of this means, he could be talking about what he's going to have for dinner or something and I'd be none the wiser'

• Haha
Reactions: 10
Sam and tiff had broke up, and Ollie started texting tiff. Sam asked mark Francis to go with him to buy tiff flowers as he wanted advice, Ollie walked in and said he was also there buying tiff flowers. Mark Francis told toff and Victoria as it was obviously funny but said Ollie was like tinsel, tacky and naff. This then caused a big blow out between them and Rosie got involved and Rosie ended up calling mark Francis a bleep (wasn’t aired but was filmed). I think more went on behind the scenes but that’s the start I think.
The things I’d do for that footage…

• Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.