Lucy Letby Case #9

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
you’re a middle aged man who gets to wake up everyday fhese babies probably didn’t live a year between them. They are the victims. It’s not good enough to simply feel guilty
This is the crux of it to me and makes me sick to my stomach. Yes, his guilt must bleeping suck, but he still gets to live a life. Those babies didn't get any chance at all and maybe they could have if he did more. It's absolutely heartbreaking. I don't think I could live with myself knowing 😭 😭 😭

• Heart
Reactions: 8
But to me it doesn’t matter what he suspected, as the outcome was the same. Like whether he thought she was a murderer or incompetent, he realised that babies were dying and he didn’t take it further.

Honestly cannot imagine being one of the parents (especially of the babies later on in the case) and hearing that there was chances to stop your baby dying.
I would just say if I’m allowed to share my opinion - this is the worst thing you could ever have to admit and in a court of law, in front of the babies parents. I should have done more. Absolutely anything would be preferable to this, any mistakes, any failings, staff shortages. Any idea that the docs are working with each other to remember mottling retrospectively to fit LL for things or because they’ve been influenced to think so is just absolutely blown out the water for me personally. They’re saying we knew something was odd, we knew things were unusual, we weren’t listened to but we should have done more. Heartbreaking all round!

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 18
What is monumentally tit now is that because of testimonies like his, there’s a potential to cast a whole shadow of doubt on her guilt. Obviously he didn’t do his job properly and I suspect it will transpire that a lot of others didn’t either. That should follow him round forever.

Seriously hope some of those concerned end up being permanently removed from the NHS. Like duck should they be working there if they can’t even be arsed to raise stuff in line with their own policies!!!

• Sad
Reactions: 10
Has it ever been clarified at all where she worked before this and where she has worked since? It baffles me we are just talking about a very specific one year period. Or is this why they are still investigating?

• Heart
Reactions: 3
No I agree. It’s just someone said he believed ‘someone was murdering babies’ and didn’t take it further. I presume that would mean he should have taken it to the police. Whereas if incompetence/negligence then who if his bosses were ignoring him - which I asked about and people have since said GMC.

Anyway I think what he should have done most people agree with but what does his testimony today tell us about the trial/Lucy? He presumably will testify for baby K that he caught Lucy in the act. Do we think he’s lying? I’m not sure from what I’ve heard today that he is because he gains nothing by saying he should have done more. What he’s said today reflects really bad on him so I don’t know why he would make it up?
You’re right, I don’t think he’s lying, all of this makes him look bad and will definitely affect his career now. I think people are just incredulous because if LL did murder the babies, he could have stopped her. If I were one of the parents, I don’t think I could forgive him, but I guess we’ll see what else comes to light and what other actions he took.

• Sad
Reactions: 11
To me it seems clear that he didn’t suspect mistakes I’ll probably work out why I’m wrong later lol.
I hope I am wrong because it’s not plausible that he suspected murder was told not to make a fuss and just doesn’t. That sounds like a lie to me.

also he seems very “feel sorry for me” with all the “ oh I did raise concerns but no one did anything” and “I feel really guilty about not speaking up sooner” like you’re a middle aged man who gets to wake up everyday fhese babies probably didn’t live a year between them. They are the victims. It’s not good enough to simply feel guilty
Well no it’s not good enough, but I’m struggling to understand why it might mean he’s lying - wouldn’t it be easier to just pretend you had no suspicions and be as shocked as everyone else?

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Well it's quite obviously not all on him, I don't think anyone would argue that. One thing's for sure, this whole thing is an absolute disgrace and I don't think any of us envy the role of the jury.
Oh too right. An absolute disgrace from start to finish.

Has it ever been clarified at all where she worked before this and where she has worked since? It baffles me we are just talking about a very specific one year period. Or is this why they are still investigating?
I think she'd worked at Liverpool Women's Hospital and finished her training at Chester and stayed there. I'm sure I've read that.

Reactions: 4
What is monumentally tit now is that because of testimonies like his, there’s a potential to cast a whole shadow of doubt on her guilt. Obviously he didn’t do his job properly and I suspect it will transpire that a lot of others didn’t either. That should follow him round forever.

Seriously hope some of those concerned end up being permanently removed from the NHS. Like duck should they be working there if they can’t even be arsed to raise stuff in line with their own policies!!!
I don’t think it casts a shadow of doubt on her guilt.
People are testifying about things that put them in a seriously bad light, it may even jeopardise their career. It’s admitting their failings.
What does that have to do with her, potential, guilt?

Has she worked since?

• Heart
Reactions: 5
She worked at the Chester hospital for 7 years, 3 were as a student. I think she went to Liverpool for the extra training they’ve mentioned.

Reactions: 3
I'm sure once she qualified she did a stint at Liverpool Women's (possibly to get her QIS) then moved into COCH, moved to admin then arrested and will of been suspended. Don't think she's moved around too much

You’re right, I don’t think he’s lying, all of this makes him look bad and will definitely affect his career now. I think people are just incredulous because if LL did murder the babies, he could have stopped her. If I were one of the parents, I don’t think I could forgive him, but I guess we’ll see what else comes to light and what other actions he took.
Yes totally agree. You’d be furious that people suspected someone of harming your baby but did nothing or not enough to protect them or further babies . I do think others should be held accountable but that won’t come until after the case.

I don’t think it casts doubt on her guilt at all, i think it strengthens the case. I know he didn’t do enough but the fact her colleague did suspect her of being involved with these babies that collapsed and/or died just backs up how unusual and unexpected these collapses were and that she was often found on her own with them just beforehand.

• Heart
Well no it’s not good enough, but I’m struggling to understand why it might mean he’s lying - wouldn’t it be easier to just pretend you had no suspicions and be as shocked as everyone else?
It’s just not plausible that he did raise concerns

where would it fit into the timeline with and make sense?

Reactions: 2
Agreed. We don’t know at this point, probably due to how vague the reporting is what he raised or even massively why just that he obviously had concerns about Letby’s involvement. Just that he did. I can think that he really should have pushed it (he obviously knows this) and feel incredibly sorry for him at the same time.
Yeah can we not lay the blame at his feet. He seems to be getting more rage than her herself and I don't think that's fair.
We also don't know what he did further down the line, just what he did in relation to this incident so I don't think it's fair to demonise him just yet.
I appreciate others will disagree but I would rather keep any rage and anger for the person deliberately hurting and killing babies. Not someone who actually spoke up but not enough.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
I don’t think it casts a shadow of doubt on her guilt.
People are testifying about things that put them in a seriously bad light, it may even jeopardise their career. It’s admitting their failings.
What does that have to do with her, potential, guilt?

Has she worked since?
Because I could understand if someone thought (only going off what we know so far) that rather than murdering babies she was an inept/dangerously bad staff member working amongst a sea of other incompetent and unbothered people who also weren’t willing to do their jobs properly.

If he came across as a top level, highly professional and entirely competent person (who did what he should have done) then this would be less of a possibility in my view. But he’s not and whether we like it or not he contributed to an appalling culture in which far too many babies died.

Editing to add as people have posted since- re ‘laying blame at his feet’… if he failed to do his job (which is what he’s admitting to) then all the blame in the world resulting from his actions should be laid at his feet considering people lost their poor babies over this. Him and anyone else who failed to do their duties should be held accountable. I am so angry and upset for all of these poor families.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Could he mean a private off the record conversation in which he raised concerns?
To management? I think I’d make sure there was an electronic trail for that.
Will these be shown? He’s not on trial.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 4
It’s just not plausible that he did raise concerns

where would it fit into the timeline with and make sense?
I don’t know when he’s saying he raised them but even if it was after child B or after child K, he’s saying he raised concerns but they were dismissed by bosses. I find that plausible because whether this was negligence or murder, it’s pretty obvious the bosses didn’t do enough until child Q.

I totally agree he should have taken it elsewhere if he was knocked back but just because he didn’t doesn’t make him a liar. If anything I think him admitting he didn’t do enough makes him more credible. I just don’t see what he has to gain by lying.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.