Lucy Letby Case #9

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
He’s the same doctor who in the baby k incident he doesn’t think she’s incompetent wouldn’t you agree
It’s implied by the prosecution but it doesn’t actually say what he was thinking, it says he was starting to notice the coincidence it was always Lucy and had concerns.

What are you not buying though, he’s admitting he wished he did more. Do you think he’s lying about having concerns or are you just in disbelief he didn’t take it further? If he is genuine I’m sure he is kicking himself every day, it would be very hard to live with, knowing you could and should have done more.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
You really have no idea how gaslight-y the culture in the NHS is. I’m not excusing this consultant completely but it’s difficult to stand strong when you are being gaslit into believing you are being unreasonable by wanting to give patients good care and not harm them. The culture in certain NHS trusts (not all, mostly the failing ones) grounds you down and down until you feel hopeless. It’s part of the reason I left patient facing roles.
Half of my family work for the NHS, so while I may not have direct experience, I still have a decent understanding of the culture. Still doesn't change my mind. I accept some might find that savage, but it is what it is.

Reactions: 5
Just throwing something out there, this whole angle regarding the skin discolouration is very odd. Lucy Letby herself mentioned it, so I'm unsure why the defense is questioning it's existence:

When interviewed by police regarding the circumstances over Child A's death, Letby said she had given fluids to Child A at the time of the change of shifts. She said within "maybe" five minutes, Child A developed 'almost a rash appearance, like a blotchy red marks on the skin'.
She said she had wondered whether the bag of fluid "was not what we thought it was".

• Wow
Reactions: 11
People questioning the weakness in the case against LL for baby A, I was wondering if this was her first attempt? And then it worked and she got more and more cocky, ok some she 'failed' but the ones that worked were like a habit she had to keep supporting? (sorry, I know that sounds really sick)
See I was going over this in my mind, there are a few conflicting bits for me.

Text from Lucy saying deaths luckily don't happen often.

Text to Lucy saying she's had a bad run.

Maybe there were collapses prior, but then that makes me question why the doctors and nurses are suddenly so shocked when they start happening from Child A.
Lots of questions, not many answers

Reactions: 3
I think there is one thing we can agree on Dr Jay, or someone, should have pushed this much more vigorously. There is no doubt about that.
I’m just going to say that this Dr, or anyone else, bar LL, is on trial here.
Maybe there will be other charges to follow, maybe there won’t, we can’t know at this point.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
We've talked about this before but I still stand by if I genuinely believed a nurse was harming babies I'd do anything to try and stop it, barricade the room, shout in the halls till someone listened if needs be. Just saying it's a difficult culture or what can you do isn't good enough. Yes it may be hard, bloody awful infact but this is the lives of babies on the line here?
He had suspicions but no evidence though, he'd be the one removed from the ward perhaps even his post if he did that. Have seen it a few times myself, people raise concerns about x and they're not taken seriously, they are dismissed as being bullies, and the person who reported is driven out. Its a big, big, big problem in many settings and part of the reason people leave in droves- I left myself because I tried to fight the system and make it better and safer for patients and colleagues but its impossible to be honest. I have no idea of course what the culture was like there or how often and to who he reported, but it sounds like he is the same doctor who pushed for her to move shifts so assuming he didn't just say alright I won't bother. Especially given his level at the time for it to get anywhere it would have relied on support from his superiors which it seems he didn't have. Sad all round.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
He doesn’t say he expressed concerns after baby a or b, it doesn’t seem likely that he would have only seeing the “rash” once and failing to document it doesn’t scream concerned to me
The mottling was documented on baby B. Which was the next night.
Wasn’t baby A sent to the Coroner?
No one is saying murderer at this point, as far as I know, but something unexplained.

Reactions: 4
He had suspicions but no evidence though, he'd be the one removed from the ward perhaps even his post if he did that. Have seen it a few times myself, people raise concerns about x and they're not taken seriously, they are dismissed as being bullies, and the person who reported is driven out. Its a big, big, big problem in many settings and part of the reason people leave in droves- I left myself because I tried to fight the system and make it better and safer for patients and colleagues but its impossible to be honest. I have no idea of course what the culture was like there or how often and to who he reported, but it sounds like he is the same doctor who pushed for her to move shifts so assuming he didn't just say alright I won't bother. Especially given his level at the time for it to get anywhere it would have relied on support from his superiors which it seems he didn't have. Sad all round.
It still isn't good enough though is it, babies have died, that could have potentially been avoided. You put your trust in these people and while no, you can't foresee some potentially meglomaniac murderous nurse, you should at least be able to trust that anyone who gets even a whiff of an idea something like that could be going on, they'd fight tooth and nail for your child. My son was in SCBU earlier this year, so maybe it's emotional bias (to an extent anyway, I'd still essentially feel this way), but ultimately I believe every single person who allowed this to happen, either directly, or by negligence, cowardice, whatever, has a role to play in the deaths of these babies. You trust a team not an individual, even if Lucy is found guilty, there is so much more to this and so many people who failed those poor sweet children. His hindsight unfortunately doesn't do a thing.

Any concerns he had that weren’t addressed he should of raised further. His professional regulator expects that of him - this is the GMCs flow chart for raising and acting on concerns about patient safety.

I don’t feel sorry for him at all. I understand from a personal level how uncomfortable it is to raise concerns and I appreciate he recognises now that he didn’t do enough but I would feel so much more uncomfortable knowing someone on my ward was potentially not providing safe care to vulnerable babies. Especially moreso with hindsight that these babies died. It’s not good enough. No he’s not on trial buts important to see what the environment was like that these babies lost their lives and why it was continued on for so long - it could of been prevented at earlier opportunities. It’s bad enough that all of these deaths were preventable but if LL is a murderer and she could of been stopped in her tracks except the senior management fobbed off concerns and the doctor didn’t raise them further as he is supposed to then it’s shocking!!!!

So just let me get this straight in my mind - the Dr is saying that after he brought up his concerns - was this with the child that LL was alone with and he was concerned enough to go check on her - that he was told not to make a fuss and ignored?

Reactions: 7
Any concerns he had that weren’t addressed he should of raised further. His professional regulator expects that of him - this is the GMCs flow chart for raising and acting on concerns about patient safety.

I don’t feel sorry for him at all. I understand from a personal level how uncomfortable it is to raise concerns and I appreciate he recognises now that he didn’t do enough but I would feel so much more uncomfortable knowing someone on my ward was potentially not providing safe care to vulnerable babies. Especially moreso with hindsight that these babies died. It’s not good enough. No he’s not on trial buts important to see what the environment was like that these babies lost their lives and why it was continued on for so long - it could of been prevented at earlier opportunities. It’s bad enough that all of these deaths were preventable but if LL is a murderer and she could of been stopped in her tracks except the senior management fobbed off concerns and the doctor didn’t raise them further as he is supposed to then it’s shocking!!!!

Has he been referred to the GMC? Will they wait until the end of this trial to investigate?
What about the non-medical senior management?
I think the Chief Executive has already bailed.

Has he been referred to the GMC? Will they wait until the end of this trial to investigate?
What about the non-medical senior management?
I think the Chief Executive has already bailed.
No idea - not seen anything reported, but he should be referred for that so that he can take learning from this on how to appropriately raise and act on concerns and what to do when you’re still not satisfied your concerns are being listened to. This trial shouldn’t prevent or hold back any referral to the GMC. All who fobbed off concerns should be investigated. It’s risking patient safety that’s ultimately resulted in death.

• Heart
It still isn't good enough though is it, babies have died, that could have potentially been avoided. You put your trust in these people and while no, you can't foresee some potentially meglomaniac murderous nurse, you should at least be able to trust that anyone who gets even a whiff of an idea something like that could be going on, they'd fight tooth and nail for your child. My son was in SCBU earlier this year, so maybe it's emotional bias (to an extent anyway, I'd still essentially feel this way), but ultimately I believe every single person who allowed this to happen, either directly, or by negligence, cowardice, whatever, has a role to play in the deaths of these babies. You trust a team not an individual, even if Lucy is found guilty, there is so much more to this and so many people who failed those poor sweet children. His hindsight unfortunately doesn't do a thing.
I agree it's not good enough, just personally I don't feel its all on him- much wider issues at play by the sound of it.

Also the GMC will be more than aware of this case and with the doctors involved, especially those testifying.

• Heart
Reactions: 5

I totally agree actually, you’re right. This is exactly the kind of thing they should have been doing. I wonder if we’ll see any evidence that people did go through these avenues. I hope so for their sakes 😓 I just still feel so awfully for them but I appreciate others won’t share as much of that sentiment. x

Reactions: 6
I agree it's not good enough, just personally I don't feel its all on him- much wider issues at play by the sound of it.
Well it's quite obviously not all on him, I don't think anyone would argue that. One thing's for sure, this whole thing is an absolute disgrace and I don't think any of us envy the role of the jury.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 16
To be fair the reporting doesn’t say he was concerned someone was murdering babies, maybe he suspected incompetence or negligence? If he thought it was that then what could he do if his bosses were ignoring him? Are there options for him to escalate outside his bosses?
But to me it doesn’t matter what he suspected, as the outcome was the same. Like whether he thought she was a murderer or incompetent, he realised that babies were dying and he didn’t take it further.

Honestly cannot imagine being one of the parents (especially of the babies later on in the case) and hearing that there was chances to stop your baby dying.

• Sad
But to me it doesn’t matter what he suspected, as the outcome was the same. Like whether he thought she was a murderer or incompetent, he realised that babies were dying and he didn’t take it further.

Honestly cannot imagine being one of the parents (especially of the babies later on in the case) and hearing that there was chances to stop your baby dying.
He did take it further. Obviously nowhere near far enough.
To be fair, we don’t actually know just how far he tried to take it yet.
I think, if she is guilty, she’ll be taking a lot down with her, and, if she’s that way inclined, she would enjoy that.
I mean, her post-it note was all about her. No mention of the babies or her colleagues/friends.

• Heart
The culture is toxic, but ultimately he took an oath,

"I shall never intentionally cause harm to my patients, and will have the utmost respect for human life."
"I recognise that the practice of medicine is a privilege with which comes considerable responsibility and I will not abuse my position."

If he was told to put up and shut up, he knew what to do next. He knew it could be escalated, yes he may of been redeployed, he may of been silenced by many and discredited, but for the sake of an innocent child's life, wouldn't you?
It takes a lot to whisltblow but ultimately it could of saved lives, and this will now forever be a shadow following his career.
He could of done more. He should of done more, long before it got to Child K.

You don't shut up till you've been heard.
I've reported things in the past when I worked for the NHS, I was redeployed and put away in the far dusty corner of my trust that everyone forgot about, and I didn't shut up until someone took notice.

• Heart
  • Sad
It’s implied by the prosecution but it doesn’t actually say what he was thinking, it says he was starting to notice the coincidence it was always Lucy and had concerns.

What are you not buying though, he’s admitting he wished he did more. Do you think he’s lying about having concerns or are you just in disbelief he didn’t take it further? If he is genuine I’m sure he is kicking himself every day, it would be very hard to live with, knowing you could and should have done more.
To me it seems clear that he didn’t suspect mistakes I’ll probably work out why I’m wrong later lol.
I hope I am wrong because it’s not plausible that he suspected murder was told not to make a fuss and just doesn’t. That sounds like a lie to me.

also he seems very “feel sorry for me” with all the “ oh I did raise concerns but no one did anything” and “I feel really guilty about not speaking up sooner” like you’re a middle aged man who gets to wake up everyday fhese babies probably didn’t live a year between them. They are the victims. It’s not good enough to simply feel guilty

• Sad
  • Heart

No I agree. It’s just someone said he believed ‘someone was murdering babies’ and didn’t take it further. I presume that would mean he should have taken it to the police. Whereas if incompetence/negligence then who if his bosses were ignoring him - which I asked about and people have since said GMC.

Anyway I think what he should have done most people agree with but what does his testimony today tell us about the trial/Lucy? He presumably will testify for baby K that he caught Lucy in the act. Do we think he’s lying? I’m not sure from what I’ve heard today that he is because he gains nothing by saying he should have done more. What he’s said today reflects really bad on him so I don’t know why he would make it up?

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.