Lucy Letby Case #9

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Does anyone know if these reports are done off the cuff or are they planned visits?

He was told not to make a fuss so he didn’t? Really? He thought someone was murdering babies and he did as he was told?

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 17
I think we’ll hear this more and more of this narrative as time goes on 😓 I feel so sorry for them all and for the parents hearing this, that it could have been stopped. It must be awful for them to live with. Heads at the top will absolutely roll after this if they’ve not already!

Oh gosh so many acronyms aren’t there… I think it is that one, sounds familiar! I don’t know if it’s in the wiki yet. Sorry not very helpful. It was linked a fair while back.
I haven’t put any of the reports into the wiki only because they have not yet been used in court. I’m happy to discuss but my thinking was to keep the wiki purely trial based only to avoid it getting into speculation / biases etc. plus it’s hard enough to keep it organised with trial stuff.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
He was told not to make a fuss so he didn’t? Really? He thought someone was murdering babies and he did as he was told?
Agreed. I would be bleeping furious as a parent if a doctor suspected a nurse of harming babies (even if not to the extent of murder) was told no and just went 'alrighty then'.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Does it say, at this stage, that he thought someone was murdering babies?
He wasn’t being listened to.
I’m not saying he shouldn’t have pushed it, obviously he should have.
It’s a lot to have on your conscience. I’m sure if he could go back and change it, he would.
I’m not excusing him, btw, he should have pushed it.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
To be fair the reporting doesn’t say he was concerned someone was murdering babies, maybe he suspected incompetence or negligence? If he thought it was that then what could he do if his bosses were ignoring him? Are there options for him to escalate outside his bosses?

Reactions: 9
Agreed. I would be bleeping furious as a parent if a doctor suspected a nurse of harming babies (even if not to the extent of murder) was told no and just went 'alrighty then'.
I’m sure it’s the same doctor in the case of baby k who said he was worried about her being in the room alone with the babies that tells me he suspected foul play not just mistakes. I can’t buy into the idea he was told to not worry about it and then did nothing

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 18
I suspect theres more to it, many settings have toxic af cultures and nurses vs doctors is often is cloaked in politics as well. It sounds ridiculous in hindsight and the cold light of day but even if he had a sustained effort to escalate and report these concerns it doesn't mean sadly it would have gotten far within the ridiculous amount of beurocracy necessarily. There's a lot of fucked up things in the NHS to be honest I do agree it does sound wild.

Reactions: 7
Exactly. In this case he should of followed the GMCs advice on raising and acting on concerns and contacted their helpline for advice as the problem wasn’t resolved. Here’s the flowchart they are supposed to follow.

Reactions: 10
To be fair the reporting doesn’t say he was concerned someone was murdering babies, maybe he suspected incompetence or negligence? If he thought it was that then what could he do if his bosses were ignoring him? Are there options for him to escalate outside his bosses?
He’s the same doctor who in the baby k incident he doesn’t think she’s incompetent wouldn’t you agree

People questioning the weakness in the case against LL for baby A, I was wondering if this was her first attempt? And then it worked and she got more and more cocky, ok some she 'failed' but the ones that worked were like a habit she had to keep supporting? (sorry, I know that sounds really sick)

I’m sure it’s the same doctor in the case of baby k who said he was worried about her being in the room alone with the babies that tells me he suspected foul play not just mistakes. I can’t buy into the idea he was told to not worry about it and then did nothing
Baby K was much further along the line.

Reactions: 3
We've talked about this before but I still stand by if I genuinely believed a nurse was harming babies I'd do anything to try and stop it, barricade the room, shout in the halls till someone listened if needs be. Just saying it's a difficult culture or what can you do isn't good enough. Yes it may be hard, bloody awful infact but this is the lives of babies on the line here?

Does it say, at this stage, that he thought someone was murdering babies?
He wasn’t being listened to.
I’m not saying he shouldn’t have pushed it, obviously he should have.
It’s a lot to have on your conscience. I’m sure if he could go back and change it, he would.
I’m not excusing him, btw, he should have pushed it.
Agreed. We don’t know at this point, probably due to how vague the reporting is what he raised or even massively why just that he obviously had concerns about Letby’s involvement. Just that he did. I can think that he really should have pushed it (he obviously knows this) and feel incredibly sorry for him at the same time.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Agreed. We don’t know at this point, probably due to how vague the reporting is what he raised or even massively why just that he obviously had concerns about Letby’s involvement. Just that he did. I can think that he really should have pushed it (he obviously knows this) and feel incredibly sorry for him at the same time.
I agree, I’m very angry with him that he didn’t do more, but at least he did try - it was the senior management who didn’t take action and they need to be held accountable for this. It must be a terrible thing to live with and sounds like he’s trying to do the right thing now, even though it’s very late in the day!

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Baby K was much further along the line.
He doesn’t say he expressed concerns after baby a or b, it doesn’t seem likely that he would have only seeing the “rash” once and failing to document it doesn’t scream concerned to me

Reactions: 3
We've talked about this before but I still stand by if I genuinely believed a nurse was harming babies I'd do anything to try and stop it, barricade the room, shout in the halls till someone listened if needs be. Just saying it's a difficult culture or what can you do isn't good enough. Yes it may be hard, bloody awful infact but this is the lives of babies on the line here?
You really have no idea how gaslight-y the culture in the NHS is. I’m not excusing this consultant completely but it’s difficult to stand strong when you are being gaslit into believing you are being unreasonable by wanting to give patients good care and not harm them. The culture in certain NHS trusts (not all, mostly the failing ones) grounds you down and down until you feel hopeless. It’s part of the reason I left patient facing roles.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
I just can't feel sorry for him honestly. Yeah, I'm sure he feels huge guilt, but those babies have died. Is it his fault? No of course not, but if he had been willing to fight harder for them at the consequence of his discomfort, maybe more would have been saved. Maybe that is incredibly harsh and unfeeling, but if that was my baby and someone had those concerns and let them go, I couldn't ever forgive them.

• Heart
  • Sad
I totally get what you mean but this is surely a working environment incredibly different to others! He would look mad doing that at this point and likely be looked at very strangely. Right now he’s saying he had concerns about Letby not that he suspected her of harming, maybe but we don’t know. He did suspect her more consciously of harm we think later on but we still don’t know for sure or what he did at the time or in between. I completely see that even he is admitting he should have done more at this point. There’ll be lots of people thinking that I’m sure and it’s probably killing them. If the police had such a task and the process to secure all this evidence has been incredibly time consuming- I don’t think it’s fair to say people should have been dead set and screaming their heads off. Certainly not yet. I think as well, Letby is the only one present at everything we’re going to hear, the other highest number is 7. So while we have this whole big picture with hindsight, they’re seeing bits and bobs in real time. I am not arguing by the way, I take your point just sharing my opinion x

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.