Lucy Letby Case #4

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hi all, first post after lurking for a few months.

Two things:

1, to the person who suggested LL may be struggling to come to terms with her own abortion, I also thought this could be a possibility. Her alleged actions would definitely make more sense in the context of her having lost her own child, through abortion, miscarriage or whatever. I imagine being around a constant reminder of that would be extremely detrimental to a person's state of mind. That combined with her viewing the victims' parents as 'not good enough' as a projection of her own guilt would definitely be a plausible motive IMO but obviously this is just speculation at the mo.

2, Based on the content I think The Note was actually intended to be a suicide note, but for whatever reason she didn't go through with it.

I'm going to try and stay detached and just dip in and out of the coverage/conversation to protect my own MH but just wanted to share my thoughts as things stand.

Reactions: 18
I think Lucy has mental health issues which perhaps made her behaviours a bit odd and this is why she is being blamed. The babies may have died anyway as they were all premature and needing special care. Do we know for sure that someone murdered them? Lucy does seem obsessive and sometimes - when people are mentally ill - they blame themselves for adverse events and this may explain the notes.

Reactions: 6
Incredibly ridiculously rare especially within neonates/paediatrics. I asked a consultant and they said they’d never seen on in their 40years
Thank you. That silences any niggles in my mind that this could have been lack of experience/training.

Reactions: 5
Reading an interesting medical article that states: "The automated pumps have built in safety mechanism to stop functioning in the presence of air bubbles and bleeps alarm but there have been cases reported where alarm did not go off but the patient collapsed and could not be revived and autopsy showed air in the cardiac chambers.[2] However the volume of air infused was very small and only possible to identify on cardiac echo. In our patient the other possible cause was vigorous chest compressions and assisted ventilation during resuscitation."

Not sure if this is relevant: "Pulmonary vascular air embolism is a rare, and almost invariably fatal, complication of positive pressure ventilation of newborn infants. There have only been 50 cases described in the world literature to date.1-16 The rarity of the condition and the clustering of some cases, which may be related to specific local factors, do not allow a meaningful calculation of incidence." but that was from an 1989 article lmao!

• Wow
Reactions: 7
Thank you. That silences any niggles in my mind that this could have been lack of experience/training.
I’m fairly certain you would have to push a lot of air in for this level of damage! Not just a stray bubble. Plus, you can’t accurately measure your medication with a giant load of air. All IV’s are double checked too

Lots assuming she was a loner or weirdo with no friends but there seem to be loads of photos of her on nights out etc ( daily fail etc)?

I don't want to derail the thread too much but a lot of people seem interested on the psychology behind her family life so I'll bite. SOME only children (myself being in this bracket) are often faced with extraordinary pressure to be perfect, as we can often be our parents 'entire world' and as such, have to be perfect citizens at all times. This then leads to extreme self loathing and anxiety when things go wrong and you feel like a parent will be upset with you. Often we seek parental approval into and throughout adulthood which my partner who is one of three siblings cannot get his head around. I still run things past one of my parents and seek their approval even though I'm 31 lol. However an only child does not a murderer make and I am not insinuating that for one second, however it can contribute hugely to mental 'anguish' in SOME only children. I am hugely interested in this part of Lucy's life and I hope more information about it comes out in due course.
This in turn makes me feel guilty about only wanting one child. Never wanted more than one but I already have family and friends on my back about having more, and by insinuating that only children feel more pressure and suffer from it, as well as potentially be mentally unwell enough to kill, well….

• Sad
  • Wow
I’m fairly certain you would have to push a lot of air in for this level of damage! Not just a stray bubble. Plus, you can’t accurately measure your medication with a giant load of air. All IV’s are double checked too
Thank you. So definitely no way it could have been accidental.

Reactions: 4
I need to catch up on the thread. But having experienced the Nicu for 126 days with my daughter (born 26+2) I almost find it an easy way out to use their prematurity. You do have ALOT of set backs, it’s 1 step forward, 10 back. But I think of some of those cases and how stable they sound, I’m not a nurse or health professional but I know exactly what their medical terms in the Nicu mean, you almost become a nurse being there that long And I just wonder how on earth they deteriorated that much to lose their dear little life 💔. Even after defence today I’m still leaning towards guilty.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
It’s made me proper jumpy thought now! I was giving a a medication that came in a pre-filled syringe and panicked because I couldn’t remember if I checked for a sneaky air bubble. Everything was fine but it’s made me paranoid! I wonder how much you’d have to push in for that much damage? 15-20mls?
A sneaky air bubble won't hurt an adult. Back in my early days we'd count drips and only certain meds would go through pumps. Its near impossible not to get tiny amounts of air in. I understand it needs to be like 5 mls + but I don't know. Don't panic about bubbles though, well only a little 😁
Having said that the amount in neonates would be tiny. Again, as a rule of thumb, the stomach is the size of your fist.. So pumping air in via NG would be super easy and undetectable. Gives me the shivers

• Sad
Reactions: 3
I don't know how everyone is missing the fact that the FULL quote on the post-it says: "I killed them because I am not good enough to care for them"
Other parts of the note say:
Police Indignation
Slander Discrimination
Hate myself so much for what this has [caused?]

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I think Lucy has mental health issues which perhaps made her behaviours a bit odd and this is why she is being blamed. The babies may have died anyway as they were all premature and needing special care. Do we know for sure that someone murdered them? Lucy does seem obsessive and sometimes - when people are mentally ill - they blame themselves for adverse events and this may explain the notes.
But one or two of the babies were fine and healthy until LL came into the room and the doctors all thought it was strange and couldn't explain how they suddenly became unwell after doing so well, that's one of the points that gets me 🤔

Also let's not forget, she's allegedly attempted on multiple occasions to harm the same baby/babies on more than one occasion, until they sadly died or were close to death.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
This in turn makes me feel guilty about only wanting one child. Never wanted more than one but I already have family and friends on my back about having more, and by insinuating that only children feel more pressure and suffer from it, as well as potentially be mentally unwell enough to kill, well….
truly, don’t worry about it. the post is accurate in descriptions of what only children may feel but any place in the birth order (oldest, middle, youngest etc) comes with its own unique neuroses.

i’m sure your child feels loved and secure; that’s all that matters.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I must admit when they reported what the note said I thought, that’s it, she has to be guilty. But actually looking at it, it’s not that straightforward. It doesn’t read as a confession, it’s more of a stream of consciousness and could be interpreted lots of different ways.

Reactions: 25
A sneaky air bubble won't hurt an adult. Back in my early days we'd count drips and only certain meds would go through pumps. Its near impossible not to get tiny amounts of air in. I understand it needs to be like 5 mls + but I don't know. Don't panic about bubbles though, well only a little 😁
Having said that the amount in neonates would be tiny. Again, as a rule of thumb, the stomach is the size of your fist.. So pumping air in via NG would be super easy and undetectable. Gives me the shivers
Its an interesting one regarding the NG. The stomach of a neonate is tiny, and even though you can put air down an NG - their abdomen would have been massively distended, surely another member of staff would have noted this? It wouldn't have been a case of popping air down a tube and a quick death.

Edit: Im not sure if the baby was intubated either. When a baby/child has a cardiac arrest they will be venilating by hand until a breathing tube is in. Ventilation by hand can cause a huge build up of air in the stomach too. Theres a lot of finer details we don't know.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.