Lucy Letby Case #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Her ethnicity is absolutely relevant. White middle class women are less commonly convicted of offences and are statistically more likely to be viewed sympathetically by juries and the public. Imagine it was a black young male nurse, do you think half of Tattle would consider him as nothing more than a scapegoat?
Agree. The people who are saying it isn’t relevant perhaps aren’t fully aware of the huge levels of (sometimes unconscious) racism.

At the moment, she is being presented as a white, middle class nurse from a well adjusted family. A significant number of people are suggesting she is a scapegoat, based on no tangible evidence. Highly doubt that would be the case if she was from a different ethnic background and from a broken home.

Reactions: 22
I don’t understand the fertility or boyfriend questions either. She is only 32 now.. Why is her not having kids or a boyfriend when she was 25 a big deal and a red flag?
I tend to agree, but I do think it's entirely dependant in the person and their circumstances. We don't know her feelings on it.

I had no kids or no boyfriend at 25 🙈 but a string of failed relationships with the wrong people!

Agree. The people who are saying it isn’t relevant perhaps aren’t fully aware of the huge levels of (sometimes unconscious) racism.

At the moment, she is being presented as a white, middle class nurse from a well adjusted family. A significant number of people are suggesting she is a scapegoat, based on no tangible evidence. Highly doubt that would be the case if she was from a different ethnic background and from a broken home.
Agreed. I'm a white blonde women and am often perceived a certain way based solely off the way I look.

I work in finance and dyed my hair brown at one stage because there was a perception that I was this friendly bubbly blonde person who doesn't typically look hard faced and would therefore struggle to reprimand people or fully implement procedures and policies to people who were doing things they shouldn't.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8
I've been reading along, it's just such a tragic situation. If she is guilty then I hope the right evidence comes to light but I really worry that she's a scapegoat. There are things we do that if examined could look bad, e.g. the fb posts. However I do understand how she could have *innocently* ( but still inappropriately) got into the habit of looking people up. I was in a bad place once and almost as an escape I'd look people up (kids teachers, victims in news articles etc)- I could see how she might be curious and it become a bit compulsive after a while. Then perhaps felt ashamed so denied remembering it in the interview as she may have believed it wouldn't go further because she knew she was innocent (if she is).

Then if it was hospital failings, then she along with the rest of the staff are all responsible however I do think the management of the ward need to be held more accountable. I work on wards but not as a nurse/medic - I've seen how a bad ward manager can negatively influence how wards run and also how great ward managers can turn things around. They massively influence the culture and expectations of the staff.

Just really feel for the parents because this must be unbearable...they don't win whatever the verdict.
I do agree. Looking the families up is strange & inappropriate, but it doesn’t make her a murderer

I do agree. Looking the families up is strange & inappropriate, but it doesn’t make her a murderer
The bit that’s swayed my mind on this is looking up the families on the exact date of death and anniversaries. Fair enough you have a few cases that stick in your mind and the dates etc but these just seem different

Reactions: 5
I don’t understand the fertility or boyfriend questions either. She is only 32 now.. Why is her not having kids or a boyfriend when she was 25 a big deal and a red flag?
exactly, i had no kids or boyfriend at 25. i still have no kids or boyfriend at 37! (not exactly unhappy about that though 🤣)

it’s a degree of societal bias really: we assume or are told that a young woman will want both of these things, and are told to treat it as strange if she doesn’t (some of the questions and comments i’ve had over the years are wild!) - we just can’t apply it to her case as we don’t know what her feelings are on it.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Some of the comments here show a real misunderstanding of the criminal justice system.

For a start, so far we have only heard the facts as the prosecution allege them to be. The defence haven’t opened their case yet. So there will be more to come. People deciding that she is innocent or guilty at this stage without knowing all the relevant info are jumping the gun. The comments saying ‘she doesn’t look the type’ are a bit concerning- would people think she looked more the ‘type’ if she was less attractive or a different ethnicity?

Also, in order for the case to even get off the ground, the CPS have to decide there is a realistic prospect of conviction. That means they have to have evidence. They have to think that it is worth putting it to a jury whether she is guilty or not guilty. That is a pretty high bar. There will be weeks/months of evidence, including expert evidence from medics etc.

Finally, just a reminder that for her to be found guilty on some or all of the counts against her, the jury have to be satisfied beyond reasonable doubt. So they have to be 99% sure she was responsible. The burden of proof is on the prosecution to show she was guilty.
This is the most reasonable comment I’ve read on here. Thanks for articulating my thoughts better than I could have.
it’s far too early in the proceedings for there to be swaying either way. This is week one of a six month trial. There will be a lot more to come from the prosecution, the defence and the witnesses.
personally I think the poll at the top of this thread was inappropriate.

Reactions: 10
[/QUOTE]
Has anyone managed to find anything about Lucy being adopted? I’ve been searching all day to find where I read it with no luck. I think it was a Hereford news site link on FB, that said something like “her adoptive parents”. I’m just really interested to learn her history/backstory.
Iv not heard she was adopted, so totally unsure on that one. But if I'm honest I thought she looked the image of her mum!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
I agree with all talking about the miscarriage/infertility speculation. Sometimes there is no sympathetic motive behind things. It’s not like a tv show where there’s character development and you learn why people do the things they do… some people can be psychopaths, and some people can be serial killers. There’s no motive needed. Triggers, maybe, but not motive.

Reactions: 7
Her ethnicity is absolutely relevant. White middle class women are less commonly convicted of offences and are statistically more likely to be viewed sympathetically by juries and the public. Imagine it was a black young male nurse, do you think half of Tattle would consider him as nothing more than a scapegoat?
all this white woman talk is doing my head in. Let’s just think about this logically and what is the general serial killer demographic - 82% white men, so yes she is going against this demo by being a woman but being white carries no bias for being a serial killer! Talking retrospectively about black young male nurse is a totally irrelevant point. LL is being considered a scapegoat due people seeing a lack of concrete evidence and I’m sure the same people would take this viewpoint regardless of chuffin colour, social standing, education etc etc 🙄

• Heart
Reactions: 10
my comments weren’t aimed at you but good for you for calling every case you have ever worked on the first day 🙄

for the record, people like me who may be trying a case in any given court in the country encounter people like you who have no legal expertise whatsoever but work the court every day. We don’t like you. We are polite, we smile but no one likes a know it all 🙁
Why did you quote me then and directly reply?

You have no idea in what capacity I work 🤣 something that I would not disclose online because its very niche and I'd be identifiable very easily. I'm not a "know it all" at all, I'm good at my job and fortunately don't go to work to be liked. Are you saying that the NICU nurses on here are know it alls because they have answers that lots of people don't? No.

You know that this is a forum where you can express your opinion, yeah? My opinion is based on knowing that her defence is the very best anyone could get, that he is going to have a reasonable and logical explanation for every scrap of evidence the prosecution present, placing doubt in the mind of at least some of the jurors, and that is all it will take, one person to question one piece of evidence.

• Sad
Reactions: 6
all this white woman talk is doing my head in. Let’s just think about this logically and what is the general serial killer demographic - 82% white men, so yes she is going against this demo by being a woman but being white carries no bias for being a serial killer! Talking retrospectively about black young male nurse is a totally irrelevant point. LL is being considered a scapegoat due people seeing a lack of concrete evidence and I’m sure the same people would take this viewpoint regardless of chuffin colour, social standing, education etc etc 🙄
I literally can’t even think of a black serial killer, male or female lmao. I’m not hugely into true crime though so maybe others can.

When I read for example "child X was given 1ml of milk" it brings it home how tiny these babies were :cry:

Will LL speak in court?

• Sad
Reactions: 6
Sorry showing my ignorance here but would they normally live-stream something like this (maybe I’m thinking too much about Johnny Depp/Amber case). Is this usual practice to have to follow along a written page or is it just because they have to redact baby names?

Sorry showing my ignorance here but would they normally live-stream something like this (maybe I’m thinking too much about Johnny Depp/Amber case). Is this usual practice to have to follow along a written page or is it just because they have to redact baby names?
Murder trials aren't live streamed in this country.

Reactions: 4
When I read for example "child X was given 1ml of milk" it brings it home how tiny these babies were :cry:

Will LL speak in court?
It’s up to her, she doesn’t have to testify. We won’t know until it’s the defence’s turn to call up witnesses. (Unless they drop in beforehand ‘you will hear from Lucy’).

Reactions: 3
I literally can’t even think of a black serial killer, male or female lmao. I’m not hugely into true crime though so maybe others can.
interestingly though, that stat in itself is about racial bias, minorities are more likely to be incarcerated or charged very quickly after “first” crimes. white men are able to get away with things or hide in plain sight for longer because society generally sees them more positively, they generally are able to get decent lawyers etc. there are a few black serial killers, but mainly in the us (which again makes sense based on demographics etc).

i agree with the overall point that the race discussion is derailing the thread though, and the comments people are making about it are valid.

in court they are using the babies names which cannot be published. I don’t think we live stream cases in the UK either

It is illegal to film or photograph inside any court room in the U.K.

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.