Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

sickofsm

Hi all, joining this thread to follow along with this horrific trial.

I am a NICU nurse, and happy to answer any questions related to that field, but from reading through all the comments so far I can already see some small differences in practice. I can only speak from what my unit does. A few points I've wanted to comment on so far...

Facebook - searching families happens all the time, and families searching staff happens all the time... not saying it's right, but it definitely happens.

Handover sheets - we are electronic so don't have these. However, some staff write their own handovers as a back up and could well end up at home in notepads or whatever. This doesn't shock me that she had one at home.

Medication - always double checked / prepared by 2 nurses. This is done religiously in my unit. However...

Insulin - Not a controlled drug and therefore anyone with the standard drug keys can access it on their own. We are often in the ICU on our own for various reasons. There is absolutely the opportunity to tamper with existing IV bags or access central lines when no one else is around.

I am keeping an open mind. It is horrendous to me to think that a woman with my exact training, in my exact job, has committed these crimes. Unthinkable. And I have no doubt this trial will have a knock on effect to all who work in the neonatal field. The damage to parental trust for a start will be catastrophic.

I am gutted for her, if she's innocent. I am gutted for the parents for what they've been through, and for the parents who are still going through a neonatal journey, leaving their precious babies in our care at such an uncertain time. And I am gutted for those poor babies who lost their lives far far too soon.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 69

candyland_

VIP Member
How come if you've worked on such important cases you still can't spell the condition you refer to? :-/
Why is there so much nitpicking on this thread? These threads are going to be long enough without having to scroll past people sniping and belittling others.

• Heart
Reactions: 56

Don't tag me, there's a support forum!
All, stop arguing or moderating.

People will get banned and this thread will be locked if it continues to be a headache for mods every day.

• Heart
Reactions: 48
I also find it awful that the trial has started on baby loss awareness week. I know this is one of the biggest cases ever but just seems abit shit to me, another thing for the parents to battle through ❤

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 48
I honestly think it was for show, not the entire search but the extraness of it. Gardens get dug for bodies, I doubt they were looking for bodies of the babies in her garden. Makes her look guilty in the public eye 'they wouldn't be searching for nothing'. Just my opinion of course and I could be wrong but I cant shake off this feeling she hasn't done this.
In my head I think she may of had a loss herself and that’s what’s potentially damaged her mentally and she may of buried her own baby in her garden. Maybe twins. And then parents of twins she didn’t see good enough she tried or did hurt the babies.. just my wild opinion

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 47

SamPam

I’m thinking if she did do this then they have more evidence . I’m thinking Google searches . She didn’t seem clever enough to cover her tracks if she is guilty especially stalking the families on Facebook .

like I wonder what Her Google searches are like . What they found in her home . I think so far they are just going through each baby and telling the jury how each one collapsed . I think they have a lot more yet to give
Yes I think her Google searches will be interesting. Although to be honest I wouldn't want my partner of 20 years flicking through my search history in case he thought I was a weirdo, never mind the police.

• Haha
Reactions: 43

miss_demeanour

Well go me! I have been suffering from the most terrible anxiety for a few months now. I haven’t really spoken to anyone at all. But here I am voicing my opinion. Thank you for letting me join in and making me welcome. It’s the smallest things ❤

• Heart

OH.FFS

VIP Member
A year later, on the anniversary of Child O's death, Letby carried out a search on Facebook on the surname of the child.

With every child it’s looking more and more damning for her. So, how would you remember such a date, unless you’d committed to memory for a reason.
This is bad.

• Wow
  • Sad

avabella

VIP Member
The ASD chat is really irrelevant and totally damaging to existing societal stereotypes - there's been absolutely nothing to suggest she has ASD - an absolute reach to even bring it into conversation.

• Heart
Reactions: 42

AlanBanan

VIP Member
I just can’t comprehend the idea of Lucy being a scapegoat. If that was the case, why did babies stop dying when she was moved from the neonatal duties and placed in admin? If a hospital was failing so badly we would still see babies dying after she was moved or even after she was arrested, they magically just can’t stop being incompetent and negligent as soon as Lucy was chosen as the scapegoat. Regardless if it was a day shift, a night shift, or if the babies already had issues when born, when each baby died, the only common theme was that Lucy was present.

I think this case is different to Beverly Allit as Beverly was known to be a terrible nurse, disturbed mentally, attention seeking and a general malingerer. But with Lucy she was so thoroughly trained and clearly knew so much about child healthcare that people can’t deal with the fact she would kill babies.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 42

Cosytidy

I don’t but into the scapegoat theory as it would mean 3 independent organisations (NHS, police & CPS) colluding together.
would the NHS want to scapegoat her if there had deaths that they hadn’t acted on? Maybe. But I don’t believe that would hold up under scrutiny from the police & then CPS.
Just from what we’ve heard I believe it’s sufficient evidence to bring the case to court for a jury to decide. No conspiracy or scapegoat necessary.

Reactions: 41
You mean their ADULT DAUGHTER.

I’m sure they needs lots of support but holding hands going in and out of court for six months? No that's not contrived at all 🙄

More like they’ve been told to hold hands to make them look like a loving family who couldn’t raise an evil daughter. All part of helping Lucy look better and I don’t care for the aesthetics behind it.
They've only been papped once holding hands.
Why is it hard to believe her parents would need support at a time like this?
They look like they've been through it and it's only the 1st week.

Reactions: 39

lastdis

VIP Member
A year later, on the anniversary of Child O's death, Letby carried out a search on Facebook on the surname of the child.

With every child it’s looking more and more damning for her. So, how would you remember such a date, unless you’d committed to memory for a reason.
This is bad.
every year on my still born daughters birthday one of the midwife’s who cared for us does a post and tags me. She does it for a few other women too. she asked my permission and for my Facebook deatails. She does it because she said these babies are often forgotten but never by her.

• Heart
Reactions: 39

cee-bee

VIP Member
Those poor babies aren’t the only victims in this..

the families will be tormented by grief and regret, wondering what if. Children will have lost siblings, grandparents will have lost grandchildren. Maybe some relationships have broken under the strain. Maybe mental health problems have ensued and never gone away. The grief and trauma could last generations.

staff at the hospital will be going over every detail wondering if they could’ve spotted something sooner, analysing every time they let her take over a shift or the care of a baby.

the detectives investigating the harrowing deaths, the jurors who will be subject to 6 months(!!) of this trial.

People in that community will be fearful of the care their children receive in the countess hospital.

i don’t know yet if Lucy is guilty or not but whoever killed these babies… it’s a special kind of evil that ripples and drags thousands of people into it.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 38

dustyrhodes

Remember if the prosecution are doing their job correctly we should all be considering a guilty verdict, then her defense should bring us all back to middle ground. Make us critically think and ponder the actual evidence. Its ok to jump from one to another that's allowed and I think that's good as we are using our brains!

Tofino

VIP Member
Child H had periods of collapse and was quite unwell it sounds like but because they could be explained further collapses that couldn’t be explained were attempted murder?
The defence will rip this apart.
Even if she is guilty it’s going to be difficult to prove
how many times does she have to be the only nurse with a baby at the very moment they suddenly experience an unexpected collapse before it’s more than just a coincidence?

• Heart

crumpets2

The moment she needed to come off nights is the moment she should of been suspended/on admin duties. More failures by the trust.

• Heart
Reactions: 37