Lucy Letby case #21

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’ve tried to link it up with the wiki but it is quite difficult isn’t it. Yes thought that too, poor thing. And BM insinuating it was her inexperience too. Hellish experience for that poor nurse.
Did you see that BM said something along the lines of that his questioning ‘is not for lack of sympathy’….?!?!

• Sad
Reactions: 3
To me she’s trying to mimick emotions, bevause it doesn’t come naturally to her.

The card is inappropriate even if she had built a strong bond with the parents. Just the words and what’s in it. The only way you’d do this on a professional capacity is if you signed as a card from all of the nurses that looked after her.
The parents probably didn’t even register the card, they had so many and you’d just be overwhelmed any in complete turmoil to even notice.

Reactions: 18
To me she’s trying to mimick emotions, bevause it doesn’t come naturally to her.

The card is inappropriate even if she had built a strong bond with the parents. Just the words and what’s in it. The only way you’d do this on a professional capacity is if you signed as a card from all of the nurses that looked after her.
The parents probably didn’t even register the card, they had so many and you’d just be overwhelmed any in complete turmoil to even notice.
I wonder if she was hoping for a letter back from the parents singing her praises about what an amazing job she did and how caring she is.

• Sick
Reactions: 11

Completely agree. It’s almost a mixture stock phrases and expressions and all are way too personal/emotional for a brief professional relationship that the mother seems to think was negative if remarkable at all.

Reactions: 8
I wonder if she was hoping for a letter back from the parents singing her praises about what an amazing job she did and how caring she is.
that could be part of it yes, because she wasn’t the only nurse that looked after her. If you felt that strongly that you wanted to do something, would you not ask the other nurses who cared for her to perhaps sign a card, maybe ask advice on what would be an appropriate card. To me the card she sent, even if innocently was inappropriate because the text on it was hardly referring to the death of a tiny baby who should have had their whole life ahead. I’m sure you’d just be so worried about whether it was appropriate or not. It’s very much like “ look at me !”
---

Completely agree. It’s almost a mixture stock phrases and expressions and all are way too personal/emotional for a brief professional relationship that the mother seems to think was negative if remarkable at all.
Yes, totally. These are the words you should write, may have even looked them up somewhere. It’s mimicking behaviours.

Seems totally off and out of place.

that could be part of it yes, because she wasn’t the only nurse that looked after her. If you felt that strongly that you wanted to do something, would you not ask the other nurses who cared for her to perhaps sign a card, maybe ask advice on what would be an appropriate card. To me the card she sent, even if innocently was inappropriate because the text on it was hardly referring to the death of a tiny baby who should have had their whole life ahead. I’m sure you’d just be so worried about whether it was appropriate or not. It’s very much like “ look at me !”
Plus she wants confirmation from the parents that "you did all you could", she'd probably stopped getting this from her workmates at this point...

Reactions: 10
---

Yes, totally. These are the words you should write, may have even looked them up somewhere. It’s mimicking behaviours.

She seems to be abnormally obsessed with work with all the texting to colleagues about patients when she was not on duty or when her colleagues were not on duty, and all the Facebook searches of the parents late at night and on Christmas day and sometimes months after the were on NICU. For a young women probably in her mind 20's (at the time) it doesn't seem normal or innocent. She could not leave work behind even to the extent of having patient notes in her house. Harold Shipman was like that which gave patients the impression of dedication. LL gave some of her colleagues the impression of dedication as well.

Reactions: 17
Bloody hell that’s insane almost like the staff know something is dodgy so making sure only one staff a night instead of the same staff … she’s definitely guilty . I’ve worked in a hospital for eight years and I’ve never been bothered about what patient I’m helping .
I've always liked to think she was perhaps not guilty but I'm starting to think she is. That WhatsApp message is creepy as hell, I'm not bothered what patient I'm assigned as long as they aren't a PITA 🤣( I work with adults) it's work. I do like some of my patients a lot of course I do and I've had favourites but I wouldn't go out of my way. Professional boundaries and all that. If I was having her luck I'd probably look for another job or ask for really easy cases to look after.
---

She seems to be abnormally obsessed with work with all the texting to colleagues about patients when she was not on duty or when her colleagues were not on duty, and all the Facebook searches of the parents late at night and on Christmas day and sometimes months after the were on NICU. For a young women probably in her mind 20's (at the time) it doesn't seem normal or innocent. She could not leave work behind even to the extent of having patient notes in her house. Harold Shipman was like that which gave patients the impression of dedication. LL gave some of her colleagues the impression of dedication as well.
It can be normal and it's actually normally the younger more geeky ones who get obsessed with work and patients. Climbing the ladder , Working loads of overtime time. By the time people meet a partner have a family it stops as they have other things to think about. I do think the WhatsApp messages are weird though
---

I'd also never write a personal card to families from me , sometimes we would do a joint ward one. It feels overstepping the boundaries.

Unable to sleep. Watching an episode of ‘Rizzoli and Isles’ which I love, and the cause of death of an elderly palliative patient is an air embolus. The forensic pathologist does a clever trick to work it out but involves clamping the blood vessels around the heart before removing it, then holding the heart under water to see if air bubbles escape ie the air injected in to the circulation was trapped at this point. Doesn’t give much more understanding of air emboli relative to the case, but it’s a good understanding of the extent of how almost impossible it would have been to show on any investigation or PM. Season 5, episode 5 if anyone is interested but I would highly recommend the whole box set!

• Heart

Reactions: 6
I don't find the card particularly odd. In the past we've sent cards from the ward, but then it sounds like relationships were strained so possibly not something they would do. The parents must have told them when the funeral would be, when we've been invited to a funeral and nobody's been able to go, we've sent a card. Maybe other nurses involved that night were able to go and she's the only one who couldn't? In that case I'd think sending a card would be fine.

The comments about the mum wearing a short dress were ridiculous, she's clearly in a separate bedroom with the door closed. But then her college replies 'OMG' so clearly a few of them were bitchy. Also noticed lots more messages sent from others to her talking about work, whereas earlier it seemed she was the one initiating the work chat, so seems they all messaged about it 🤷‍♀️

Reactions: 3
The card is odd for me but the main thing that makes me go “hmm” is the fact this was the only baby she’s appeared to send a card for, despite possibly having more to do with other babies/parents & what she has written in the card does not add up with the fact she “doesn’t remember” this baby or parents…she can’t have it both ways. She can’t feel so strongly to send the ONE sympathy card but then not remember this family later down the line???
Im not even going to mention the Facebook searches.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
You've given a different angle which I can appreciate. What's your general view of whether she is guilty or innocent.

I wonder if this was because someone was beginning to have suspicions either about LL directly or that someone was deliberately harming babies, trying to make sure the babies were not with one nurse more than one shift at a time.
Her response has something happened, I bet she was beginning to fear she was being found out…
Also I would like to keep her, to me that’s weird too If I was having the tit luck she was supposed to be having I would want the babies that were most stable !
I used to be a healthcare assistant in a children's psychiatric unit. If a child's needs and risks meant they required 1:1 support, the rota was always arranged so that the responsibility was shared equally between staff. This was partly so no one got burnt out by having to do all the high-risk complex care by themselves, and partly so staff didn't end up playing favourites with patients. I've never worked on a NICU but I imagine something similar might apply.

Her question about "something happening" does sound pretty sinister/defensive.

Reactions: 12
I always think about the card. Baby I wasn't on the ward that long really, especially considering the transfers in and out to Arrowe Park and LL 7-10 period of leave. And she wasn't designated nurse on every shift that an incident happened, yet still managed to insert herself into everything and ultimately sent the card.

Yet didn't the baby who made the milestone date (100 days?) also die and no card sent to the family. If anything, you'd think there would be a bigger attachment to a family who had been there a few months hat she was more invovled with rather than one of just a few weeks.

Makes you think that perhaps them changing the designsted nurse for each baby on every shift was a reflection of the growing suspicion and maybe she sent the card to cast some doubt about her being involved. She already said the place was bitchy at this point and clearly we are now starting to see signs of some miscontent between staff there. Makes you wonder if she heard some gossip or bitchiness about her always being involved and she sent it to deflect

Reactions: 17
I used to be a healthcare assistant in a children's psychiatric unit. If a child's needs and risks meant they required 1:1 support, the rota was always arranged so that the responsibility was shared equally between staff. This was partly so no one got burnt out by having to do all the high-risk complex care by themselves, and partly so staff didn't end up playing favourites with patients. I've never worked on a NICU but I imagine something similar might apply.

Her question about "something happening" does sound pretty sinister/defensive.
If that was the case would it not be the same with every baby and not just this one baby, this is the only incident where the changing of nurses have been mentioned, it could be innocent like you say but it may be people were having suspicions of her and were rotating nurses. I guess we don’t have enough information to be absolutely sure either way.
I imagine by this baby the stress levels in the ward for all the staff must have been high with the amount of deaths occurring So maybe that was reason too for changing nurses ?

Reactions: 7
If that was the case would it not be the same with every baby and not just this one baby, this is the only incident where the changing of nurses have been mentioned, it could be innocent like you say but it may be people were having suspicions of her and were rotating nurses. I guess we don’t have enough information to be absolutely sure either way.
I imagine by this baby the stress levels in the ward for all the staff must have been high with the amount of deaths occurring So maybe that was reason too for changing nurses ?
Had she asked to work with other babies before, do we know? I haven't followed the live court updates in depth. It's an inappropriate request. It's natural to have some patients you like better than others, as nobody has an off button for their feelings, but it's unprofessional to indulge that. In safeguarding training we were taught that a staff member always wanting to work with the same patient was a potential sign of abuse.

Reactions: 9
It was negative, I remember thinking about the tone of “she realised and stopped” and “going on” implied she was unprofessional and irritating at the least. I’ve also read somewhere that child I’s mum was keen to get their daughter home because she’d seen people not washing hands and touching things Etc I’ll try and find the article

Attachments

Reactions: 6
Had she asked to work with other babies before, do we know? I haven't followed the live court updates in depth. It's an inappropriate request. It's natural to have some patients you like better than others, as nobody has an off button for their feelings, but it's unprofessional to indulge that. In safeguarding training we were taught that a staff member always wanting to work with the same patient was a potential sign of abuse.
I wouldn't say it's automatically inappropriate, if you have good rapport with a patient and their family or can offer consistency in care then its really normal to be reallocated. Often makes it easier for the nurse if its busy expecially if they're complex as they already know all their history. Also it's easier for the family to have consistency in their point if contact.
That being said, I'm not sure how much rapport she actually had with them, as the family didn't seem too struck on her. Possibly a huge lack of self awareness on her part or just her trying to stick her nose in.

Reactions: 8
Dan is tweeting today by the looks of things 👍🏻
Yes @AccidentalAcademic I’m pretty sure she has requested certain babies before or if not that she’s requested to be in certain rooms and then the baby has gone on to die/be harmed.

• Sad
Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.