LL off topic #12 The Wrong Fellas

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
So we moved into our new house a couple of months ago and I put mini into the attic room as it’s the biggest room in the house so I thought she would have plenty of room to play etc. However she is refusing to sleep in there; she will happily play up there in the day but will not sleep there on a night. Mr Golightly has suggested we swap our room (which is smaller but on the middle floor and much lighter) with hers in the hope it gets her to sleep as he thinks the size of the room is scaring her. I just don’t know. At the point I’m willing to do anything but I don’t want to move everyone around, do her up another bedroom and she still won’t sleep in it which I know probably sounds selfish but I’m so knaxkered already 😭🫠
Could you just swap beds for a bit to see if that helps rather than swapping rooms completely? Or one of you sleep with her in her room for a few nights to see if that helps her settle up there before you go switching all the rooms around?
---
Yeah he would nap brilliantly, by the time we got down to one nap, he would sleep for 2 or 3 hours and then still go to bed nicely.
That’s amazing! 😁

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Yeah I’d try swapping beds and seeing if the different room helps. My youngest is 6 and is really funny about going to different floors of the house by himself (it’s a new build and we’ve lived here since before he was born so it’s not unknown or scary in any way!)

How old is she? Has she said why she doesn’t like sleeping in there?

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Thanks @raspberryjuice @odetotheseaweed i hadn’t thought about the bed swap- we will give that a try! She is only just turned 3! She won’t say anything specific just that she doesn’t like her bed and she’s scared- we’ve bought her three different beds in the last year in the hope one of them does the trick but it’s always the same: she’s fine in it for a few days then decides she doesn’t like it. When we first moved she had about five days of amazing sleep on her own and I thought we had cracked it but clearly not 😫 her room is really well lit and my sister bought her a special night light but it makes no difference 😭

• Heart
Reactions: 2
We go through phases of 6year old not liking his room/his bed/he’s scared/he wants to sleep in with me. In all honesty I’m not surprised as he spent his first 4-5 years sleeping in my bed as it the only way any of us would get any sleep. But I’m very firm now with him sleeping in his bed, if I cave once he spends the next week asking to sleep in with me, won’t go to bed in his bed, asks when he can come in with me. He really disturbs my sleep too when he’s in with me so I don’t want to encourage it. Sorry that’s just a really long winded way of saying I feel your pain and the only thing that’s worked here is consistency in making him sleep in his bed (with the door open, hallway light on, 2 night lights and white noise)

• Heart
We go through phases of 6year old not liking his room/his bed/he’s scared/he wants to sleep in with me. In all honesty I’m not surprised as he spent his first 4-5 years sleeping in my bed as it the only way any of us would get any sleep. But I’m very firm now with him sleeping in his bed, if I cave once he spends the next week asking to sleep in with me, won’t go to bed in his bed, asks when he can come in with me. He really disturbs my sleep too when he’s in with me so I don’t want to encourage it. Sorry that’s just a really long winded way of saying I feel your pain and the only thing that’s worked here is consistency in making him sleep in his bed (with the door open, hallway light on, 2 night lights and white noise)
I was saying to Mr Golightly I feel like we have shot ourselves in the foot by letting her repeatedly sleep in our bed from the off- I don’t mind as much if she starts off in her bed then ends up in ours at some point in the night. I think we will try the bed swap and Mr Golightly wants to get her a small double bed 🙄 so that whoever is with her can sleep in there with her to see if that helps.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Thanks @raspberryjuice @odetotheseaweed i hadn’t thought about the bed swap- we will give that a try! She is only just turned 3! She won’t say anything specific just that she doesn’t like her bed and she’s scared- we’ve bought her three different beds in the last year in the hope one of them does the trick but it’s always the same: she’s fine in it for a few days then decides she doesn’t like it. When we first moved she had about five days of amazing sleep on her own and I thought we had cracked it but clearly not 😫 her room is really well lit and my sister bought her a special night light but it makes no difference 😭
Hope the bed swap works!
Would she respond well to rewards for sleeping in her bed? Sticker charts/gem jar/tokens type of thing? We’ve used that for my little girl in different situations and it builds up to a bigger reward she chooses.

My kids are sleeping together in a double bed tonight for the first time, they fell asleep separately and we’ve done a bed swap. I’m expecting a very early wake up call as Peepy kid rarely sleeps past 5am and there’s no way she’ll leave her brother sound asleep 😴

• Heart
Hope the bed swap works!
Would she respond well to rewards for sleeping in her bed? Sticker charts/gem jar/tokens type of thing? We’ve used that for my little girl in different situations and it builds up to a bigger reward she chooses.

My kids are sleeping together in a double bed tonight for the first time, they fell asleep separately and we’ve done a bed swap. I’m expecting a very early wake up call as Peepy kid rarely sleeps past 5am and there’s no way she’ll leave her brother sound asleep 😴
Mini is very much an impulse ‘reward now’ girl so sticker charts haven’t worked too well in the past but I could try again and see if it helps! She is very much an on her own timeline kid I think, as I found out with potty training, and very strong willed so I think as soon as she decides she wants to stay in her bed she will 🫠 I also think there’s some jealousy about the fact the baby is still in our room so she feels a bit like the three of us are together and she’s being left out.

Hope the Peepy’s don’t wake you up too early tomorrow 💛

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Morning Twattlers 😘
Blimey. I logged on to find a load of posts about swapping beds and wondered wtf I had stumbled upon! 🫣😂
The sun is trying to break out up here today which is ace because I’m suited and booted and on an all day work jolly.
Pray for me 🙏🏻 x

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Mini is very much an impulse ‘reward now’ girl so sticker charts haven’t worked too well in the past but I could try again and see if it helps! She is very much an on her own timeline kid I think, as I found out with potty training, and very strong willed so I think as soon as she decides she wants to stay in her bed she will 🫠 I also think there’s some jealousy about the fact the baby is still in our room so she feels a bit like the three of us are together and she’s being left out.

Hope the Peepy’s don’t wake you up too early tomorrow 💛
Ah bless her! I don’t know if it’s the same for you but I definitely felt like having the baby made my older girl seem so much older and I probably expected more of her because she was older but now my youngest is the age she was I realise she was still so little when he was born. I’m not saying that’s the same for you just sharing my experience!
4:45 was this morning’s wake up time! If anyone has any tips on how to get your kids to sleep later in summer I’d gratefully take them. We’ve tried so many different things! My eldest has always woke up at the crack of dawn when it’s light outside and it slowly wears me down every summer till I’m just about to have a mental breakdown 🫠😂

• Heart
Ah bless her! I don’t know if it’s the same for you but I definitely felt like having the baby made my older girl seem so much older and I probably expected more of her because she was older but now my youngest is the age she was I realise she was still so little when he was born. I’m not saying that’s the same for you just sharing my experience!
4:45 was this morning’s wake up time! If anyone has any tips on how to get your kids to sleep later in summer I’d gratefully take them. We’ve tried so many different things! My eldest has always woke up at the crack of dawn when it’s light outside and it slowly wears me down every summer till I’m just about to have a mental breakdown 🫠😂
We try everything, black out blind, gro clock, bribery, he gets up whenever he wants and I (normally) cope with many cups of coffee but now I’m running on one cup of caffeinated tea a day and hoping for the r best. 5.40 for us today so not as early as you. X

• Heart
The only thing that’s ever worked for me is a later bedtime. My younger 2 have never been 7-7 sleepers so they’ve always gone bed abit later, 9-7 is our current pattern and it works for them and us, no one’s getting a crappy night sleep and I’m not being woke up at 3-4 in the morning 🤣

• Heart
I definitely am guilty of treating her as being older than she is- she feels so big compared to the baby but she has only just turned 3 so I do think I expect a bit too much from her. I’m really struggling with the lack of sleep between mini and the baby making me more snappy, less patient and less motivated so I’m trying to work on that! It’s just all very hard isn’t it 🫠

• Heart
No wonder you need a 🍺 or 5 with the weather we are having today. If there is anything like here the now it's absolutely pouring and has been for 2hrs now

• Heart
I can’t believe it’s nearly June and I’m sat here with a blanket over me and the heating on 🙄

• Heart
  • Sad
Recommended watch: The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare. Can't tell you if it's any good but Henry Cavill AND Alan Ritchson are in it and honestly that's all that matters 😜

Last edited:
  • Haha