Lily Pebbles #18 Thinking about baby number 2, hey Rich, pull the tampons out of MY loo

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hey all, if you don’t mind I have a question about your social media habits, specifically how you decide to unfollow someone on IG. I don’t necessarily mean accounts like Lily’s that you may hate follow, instead I’m curious if you follow any makers/creators/small businesses and why you’d unfollow them. I have an IG account for my printmaking and art and I’m always so baffled when people follow me and then unfollow in like three days, I mean what did they expect to see, especially when my account is public. Is it just that they are collecting followers and want me to
follow back? Thanks for any input!
Off Topic
Some people definitely follow and unfollow if you don't "return the favour" straight away. I always think "good riddance" haha as I want to be followed by people who like my pictures and who contribute in comments and so on.
I unfollow people if they post too much. Like I don't know, 5 pictures of the same thing in one day. I don't like when people just post a picture without caption, hashtags, anything. Like, I wanna know why you're posting something. Why did you decide it was interesting enough to share with the world.
I also like when pics are good quality and curated. Like, it's not that hard to make a nice background (you can use a cute blanket, scarf, plain wall, wooden floor), I like neat and tidy pictures (I don't want to see people's drying in the background). You don't have to have an amazing camera, most mobile phones or small compact cameras take decent pics but make sure the lighting is good and you're using right settings.
I unfollow if people post the same stuff to Stories and their grid. (Personally, I sometimes do that but I often post pictures from photo walks from where I live. So I will post lots of pictures to Stories as not everything is always good enough to become a permanent feature on the grid. I will probably post 10-20 to Stories and then after the Stories disappear, probably about 2-3 very best pictures on the grid).
I might mute someone's Stories (so not unfollow but maybe take a break from them) if they use Stories to let me know every SINGLE FREAKING time they just posted a new picture (my biggest IG pet peeve!). witch, I have already seen you pic in my feed (and I probably liked it if it was any good), I don't need you to go on Stories and remind me. If the algorithm is playing up and I think, oh I haven't see X or Y person post in a while, I will go on your profile and check out your newest posts. I will check if I haven't accidently muted you. And if I haven't liked it when I first saw, well then probably wasn't a very good picture and you just won't get the likes.
(Sorry, I truly sound like a IG nazi).
Lastly, kinda related, I have been hating it lately when people are being kinda passive aggressive in trying to make me follow them back. One guy sent me a DM saying something like, Oh, I have noticed that you have got quite a few followers but you don't follow many people - please follow back blah blah blah. Another one DM-ed saying, "Have you seen my latest Stories?". I also HATE IT HATE IT HATE IT if someone follows me, I don't follow back so they unfollow after day or two and follow again just in case I didn't see the first time round (I did. I just didn't care for them).
I am very selective, I like following local people so there's sense of community and personal interaction (DMs, meaningful comments). I don't follow big companies, celebs, influencers because I like the interactions to be personal and meaningful.

EDIT: If you promoting your product, go for either of the two:
- very minimal presentation - just the item, but clearly visible on a clean, neutral background (colour/pattern background could be cool too but be consistent)
- using suitable props. I have a friend with bookish account and she uses lots of props that go with colour/theme of the book cover. Could be a cute mug and a box tea, could be a cute house plant; could be matching jewellery/accessories.
Consistency is key. Decide on your branding and stick with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6
Hey all, if you don’t mind I have a question about your social media habits, specifically how you decide to unfollow someone on IG. I don’t necessarily mean accounts like Lily’s that you may hate follow, instead I’m curious if you follow any makers/creators/small businesses and why you’d unfollow them. I have an IG account for my printmaking and art and I’m always so baffled when people follow me and then unfollow in like three days, I mean what did they expect to see, especially when my account is public. Is it just that they are collecting followers and want me to
follow back? Thanks for any input!
I search hashtags and follow people that have nice imagery and if I still like them after a few weeks I’ll keep them, if not I’ll remove them. If you want to grow a following for art, tag thedesigntip and women of illustration, etc. It may be bots if they’re following and unfollowing? I used to get quite a few of those.

Reactions: 6
@Readinginks I sometimes briefly follow accounts I come across, simply to remember it. Then when I go back, it just may not be what I need and I unfollow. I hate when I see something somewhere and then can’t find it back anymore. If I go and check out the account right away, I get so side tracked and forget what I was doing or looking for in the first place.

Reactions: 7
@Readinginks i agreed with what @Nova said, i do the same thing. I usually follow something with the intention of going back but sometimes it is frustrating that I couldn’t find that account anymore. Perhaps something to do with the name of the company? I usually unfollow if I don’t think I will buy from the company or simply change my mind, nothing personal though...

Definitely don’t post too much, and re-share post that your buyers post/bought. If I want to buy an art work for example, I will go see who tagged the sellers and see how others styled the art work.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 3
I must say, following or unfollowing isn’t an exact science with me. Often it’s quite random, and just how I feel in that moment. Nothing personal, and also not because I was disappointed after 3 days. I do not have a curated list of accounts I follow. I’m sure it may feel differently when you’re on the other end, but as a follower, it’s not that deep for me.

I do not follow Lily by the way.

Reactions: 16
Think she’s been reading here.. Grey is suddenly her ‘favourite girl’.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 34
Still won't actually take her "favourite girl" outside to play in the snow though... No, Grey just gets to look at it from inside while mummy sits on her Shaun the Sheep chair.

• Haha
Reactions: 28
‘ I also made chicken soup for someone who needed it’ do you mean yourself Lily?

Still won't actually take her "favourite girl" outside to play in the snow though... No, Grey just gets to look at it from inside while mummy sits on her Shaun the Sheep chair.
freedom is so close yet so far away

• Haha
Reactions: 14
Washing your hair weekly is not that unusual for curlies. I’m assuming she does shower in between washes. I do.
If I can get away without washing my thick course hair I will. My body is a different matter entirely! 🤣🤣

Reactions: 4
Why would you call you only child and your only daughter your favourite girl? was there another girl in the running for the title of "favourite girl"? 🤷‍♀️

My guess is she's trying extra hard not to come off as standoff-ish when referring to her daughter (something that we have talked about numerous times) but she ends up coming off as exactly that 🤦‍♀️ .

• Haha
Reactions: 23
Why would you call you only child and your only daughter your favourite girl? was there another girl in the running for the title of "favourite girl"? 🤷‍♀️

My guess is she's trying extra hard not to come off as standoff-ish when referring to her daughter (something that we have talked about numerous times) but she ends up coming off as exactly that 🤦‍♀️ .
lol this made me think of how my mother always refers to me as “her favorite daughter!” when I’m....her only daughter and it’s mostly because I went through a phase of insisting my older brother was her favorite when I was a teen, which he absolutely is btw

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 21
Thank you everyone for the insight into your IG habits. I’m blown away by how many of you responded and how helpful you all are! I’m pretty sure many accounts that unfollow me do so after noticing I hadn’t followed them back. I am trying not to obsess too much about numbers, but in a way I also understand that if I want to sell, social media presence is a necessity, and I admit, it’s also nice to share the work that I’m proud of. In fact I initially set up that account more as a personal diary to document my printmaking progress, but I started getting asked whether I was selling. Anyway, thanks again for all your lovely messages ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 8
If not her, someone in her team is here. She’s changed a lot in the past few weeks, following comments made on her threads on Tattle. She doesn’t show in stories every single thing she does (going as far as radio silence this past weekend, a la Anna), she’s gone from “her” to “my favourite girl”, she shows more of Grey and more of their interaction and Lily being “hands on”, she’s posted more than one pic of Rich and Grey with hearts and “loving”, she’s venturing more on Mummy Blogging... None of it really makes a difference, and it’s evident that she’s going through something even thought she won’t admit it, but Gleam must have told her she has to step up and change her game.

Reactions: 33
Thank you everyone for the insight into your IG habits. I’m blown away by how many of you responded and how helpful you all are! I’m pretty sure many accounts that unfollow me do so after noticing I hadn’t followed them back. I am trying not to obsess too much about numbers, but in a way I also understand that if I want to sell, social media presence is a necessity, and I admit, it’s also nice to share the work that I’m proud of. In fact I initially set up that account more as a personal diary to document my printmaking progress, but I started getting asked whether I was selling. Anyway, thanks again for all your lovely messages ❤
You don't want someone to just follow you so you follow them back, that is not going to bring in the engagement. Better to have fewer followers who are loyal. I manage a brand's social media and I'm currently in the process of deleting inactive followers, so the engagement rate goes up. The total amount of followers doesn't matter as much as your engagement rate.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
If not her, someone in her team is here. She’s changed a lot in the past few weeks, following comments made on her threads on Tattle. She doesn’t show in stories every single thing she does (going as far as radio silence this past weekend, a la Anna), she’s gone from “her” to “my favourite girl”, she shows more of Grey and more of their interaction and Lily being “hands on”, she’s posted more than one pic of Rich and Grey with hearts and “loving”, she’s venturing more on Mummy Blogging... None of it really makes a difference, and it’s evident that she’s going through something even thought she won’t admit it, but Gleam must have told her she has to step up and change her game.
My theory is Lily's not getting the freebies/sponsorships that she wants within the past year. She wants the high end brands similar to the ones Anna got last year (i.e. Armani beauty, biossance, appointed etc). That coupled with the fact her views/followers across various social media platform has decreased made her realise she might have to actually spend money on clothes/make up/skincare to stay "hip" which she doesn't want to do hence why she now asks for feedback and why I believe she creeps on tattle from time-to-time. Gleam is most likely encouraging her to pivot to the mummy vlogger route, but I don't think they sat her down and gave her a talking to. Gleam just point to what gets views/attention (i.e. Grey) and want her to continue exploring that. Many influencers are leaving their agents and Gleam wouldn't want to upset her and have another stream of income leave altogether. Lily wants to be the cool popular girl but the only cool thing she ever did was enter the influencer game full-time when it was still new ten years ago in the prime of her youth with no worries and can sell an escapist life. Now she's an influencer in an oversaturated market who follows trends.

Last edited:
Reactions: 18
You just know that what she really wanted to write was “sat on the floor with her and her noisy toys 🙄”.

My theory is Lily's not getting the freebies/sponsorships that she wants within the past year. She wants the high end brands similar to the ones Anna got last year (i.e. Armani beauty, biossance, appointed etc). That coupled with the fact her views/followers across various social media platform has decreased made her realise she might have to actually spend money on clothes/make up/skincare to stay "hip" which she doesn't want to do hence why she now asks for feedback and why I believe she creeps on tattle from time-to-time. Gleam is most likely encouraging her to pivot to the mummy vlogger route, but I don't think they sat her down and gave her a talking to. Gleam just point to what gets views/attention (i.e. Grey) and want her to continue exploring that. Many influencers are leaving their agents and Gleam wouldn't want to upset her and have another stream of income leave altogether. Lily wants to be the cool popular girl but the only cool thing she ever did was enter the game when it was still new ten years ago in the prime of her youth with no worries and can sell an escapist life. Now she's an influencer in an oversaturated market who follows trends.
Lily absolutely wants the high end freebies and she’s too stupid to realise why these brands are interested in Anna and not Lily.

Reactions: 18
It must be awful to have someone at work comment on how you portray yourself and personal life on social media. I can get very tough criticism at work sometimes, but it’s about work, it’s not about ME. I don’t envy influencers in that respect. To have some junior account manager at Gleam discuss your online behaviour.

• Sad
Reactions: 13
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.