LBC Radio #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
How has LBC's coverage been today of the sad story about David Amess? Been listening to TalkRadio - both Rob Rinder and Kevin O'Sullivan have given tributes and given sufficient coverage to the story however not wall to wall coverage and have still included some lighter segments. I think that's the right approach.
LBC are overdoing it, hour after hour after hour when everything that can be said has been said ad infinitum. It's a terrible thing to have happened, the loss of what sounds to have been an amazingly nice and dedicated man, but LBC needs now to give it a lighter touch and return to other topics.

Reactions: 3
Just had a quick check and BBC Radio London are going on as if nothing has happened, playing dance music to get you 'up' !
LBC News, had the main story and 'other items of interest'

Reactions: 1
Just had a quick check and BBC Radio London are going on as if nothing has happened, playing dance music to get you 'up' !
LBC News, had the main story and 'other items of interest'
LBC tend to get a lot of repeated news at weekends. All the main presenters have had their say; now it's the turn of the Saturday/Sunday shift to air their views. Ditto listeners who work on weekdays.

LBC tend to get a lot of repeated news at weekends. All the main presenters have had their say; now it's the turn of the Saturday/Sunday shift to air their views. Ditto listeners who work on weekdays.
Other than Nick Abbot I tend not to listen very much at the weekends. It is all very repetitive and I can't deal with Maajid.

I'm currently listening to retro top twenty on Radio Caroline Flashback from 1975. There's some strange old songs in there.

Reactions: 4
LBC are overdoing it, hour after hour after hour when everything that can be said has been said ad infinitum. It's a terrible thing to have happened, the loss of what sounds to have been an amazingly nice and dedicated man, but LBC needs now to give it a lighter touch and return to other topics.
Agreed. I tried to listen to Nick Abbot hoping for an escape yesterday (since Darryl at TR was going serious for the first hour or so and GB News with Mark Dolan was exclusively focusing on the murder) but no luck. Also noticed that they cancelled Consumer Hour and had Andrew Pierce on for 4 hours.

Reactions: 2
It's one reason I can't stand LBC any longer. Something tragic or quite big happens, then they run with the story for days. Not just that, but LBC isn't really a light listen, apart from Steve on weekday mornings. Don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with running a sad story if it's quite big, but not 24/7 and running the story for days on end.

Then again, the problem with LBC is it's limited to leading Britain's conversation, rather than other news abroad. A suicide bombing killed something like 40 people the other day in Afghanistan, I'm surprised that's not news considering USA, Britain and allies fucked off out of the place the other month.

Remember the days when people like Peter Cook would ring LBC? The days when there was a huge variety in the programmes and not this heavy and constant battering of news and opinion being done to death? There was the wonderful Diane Burstein and the Mystery Tours, Phillip Hodson with his often extraordinary phone-in calls and personal advice given, a programme about antiques, Clive Bull, always totally laid back, adamantly refusing to reply when callers opened the conversation by asking 'how are you?', and his delightful snippets of what sounded to me like traditional Israeli music. What programmes have I forgotten?

Thank God we have Nick Abbott, Steve Allen. the lawyer, the consumer advice expert and Jobby's Mystery Hour or I'd never tune in again.

I maybe listen to Castle on LBC for an hour on a Sunday, but then at 9am it's onto Radio4 & Broadcasting House - news, reviews, the papers etc, then at 10am The Archers omnibus 😁
11am it's Desert Island Discs.
Highly recommended for a relaxing Sunday morning

I used to listen to LBC all the time,now I very rarely switch to that station - I listen to Times radio now, I find it a much better mix. I just got fed up of all the programmes discussing the same thing.

To be honest though - I could never listen on JOB just awful radio to me.

Remember the days when people like Peter Cook would ring LBC? The days when there was a huge variety in the programmes and not this heavy and constant battering of news and opinion being done to death? There was the wonderful Diane Burstein and the Mystery Tours, Phillip Hodson with his often extraordinary phone-in calls and personal advice given, a programme about antiques, Clive Bull, always totally laid back, adamantly refusing to reply when callers opened the conversation by asking 'how are you?', and his delightful snippets of what sounded to me like traditional Israeli music. What programmes have I forgotten?

Thank God we have Nick Abbott, Steve Allen. the lawyer, the consumer advice expert and Jobby's Mystery Hour or I'd never tune in again.
We've heard this view so many times before and I agree with it, up to a point. The trouble was that it didn't bring in large audiences. For decades, LBC lost money. It changed hands several times until Global bought it. They established a hard news agenda and the listening figures shot up. It's a commercial station, reliant on attracting advertisers, and advertisers only want to know about listening figures. There are plenty of local BBC stations doing 'cosy' radio because they aren't obliged to make a profit.

I too would like some more variety especially of a weekend. I used for example to listen to the in conversation shows of Steve Allen sometimes on a Sunday evening. As to Nick Abbott I gather from those who do listen that his show is one long whinge about Brexit, so I do not see that as variety.

Going back in time I used to enjoy Robbie Vincent ( my mum was an LBC listener back then)

I too would like some more variety especially of a weekend. I used for example to listen to the in conversation shows of Steve Allen sometimes on a Sunday evening. As to Nick Abbott I gather from those who do listen that his show is one long whinge about Brexit, so I do not see that as variety.

Going back in time I used to enjoy Robbie Vincent ( my mum was an LBC listener back then)
Loved Robbie Vincent. He used to do the mid-morning show on weekdays, with Mike Dickin in the afternoon. There's nobody around now to touch either of them.

I maybe listen to Castle on LBC for an hour on a Sunday, but then at 9am it's onto Radio4 & Broadcasting House - news, reviews, the papers etc, then at 10am The Archers omnibus 😁
11am it's Desert Island Discs.
Highly recommended for a relaxing Sunday morning
Maybe you could spend an hour on DS, battling one sided discussion of the 'ills' of LBC with the usual suspects. :ROFLMAO:

I'm sadly more of a Talkradio'er than an LBC'er.

• Haha
Steve Allen said he’s getting his Freedom Pass taken away as apparently his proof she of address is not good enough for the authorities. How bizarre.

Steve Allen again - he said he pretends to limp when he goes to use a disabled toilet and that he is entitled to use it as he is age 67. 🤦‍♀️

He also said that he has never used a chopping board but instead uses scissors to cut up everything. Mentioned they don’t work on cucumbers. That’s seriously weird.

• Haha
Allen is fixated with lottery tickets & winning the EuroMillions again :rolleyes:

'The Juice Meister has been in touch'...
'crumbs in the butter'....'uncle Jack in norfolk made his own booze'....'double sausage McMuffin please'....

Steve Allen again - he said he pretends to limp when he goes to use a disabled toilet and that he is entitled to use it as he is age 67. 🤦‍♀️

He also said that he has never used a chopping board but instead uses scissors to cut up everything. Mentioned they don’t work on cucumbers. That’s seriously weird.
Perhaps he's not allowed knives! 😂

Allen is fixated with lottery tickets & winning the EuroMillions again :rolleyes:

'The Juice Meister has been in touch'...
'crumbs in the butter'....'uncle Jack in norfolk made his own booze'....'double sausage McMuffin please'....
He always seems to be getting notifications from the lottery haha. Either he's bullshitting or spends quite a bit on lottery tickets.

Also, is it normal to speak as though god children are actually the person's children? He speaks as if they are his children. Not judging, just curious really as I've no idea what the relationship between godparents and godchildren are supposed to be like.

Such a strange thing to mention/admit to. He cuts tomatoes with kitchen scissors? potatoes? Bread? He only uses sliced bread? Apples? Oranges? Lemons?
😂 It is weird. How the hell does one cut apples, potatoes and tomatoes with scissors. What a mess that would be. 😬

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.