LBC Chit Chat #11

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I liked Cameron. That was a conservative party I understood. He should never have called the referendum (IMO) but I think he knows that.

Actually, I think he should have called the referendum because there was obviously an appetite for it and the result showed it was what the public wanted. However, he made a very poor job of arguing the Remain case. He can take a full responsibility for that.

Probably the most astute thing Rishi has done tbh. Something for the more traditionalist Conservative voter to grab onto.

Nick Abbot can dig out his Cameron soundbites now.
I'm with FenellaTheWitch on this. I also liked Cameron and think he was fairly straight as politicians go. Perhaps a bit naive at times - his idea that the pay of those at the top in any company should not exceed ten times that of the lowest seemed fanciful and difficult to legislate although well meaning. But he is widely respected and has been wise in keeping his head down since quitting office. I never saw him as cutting and running by the way, it made perfect sense that someone who had campaigned to remain in the EU felt he was the wrong person to see through our leaving (the media would have used that to discredit him), although I think he would have made a far better job of it than the three who followed.

Reactions: 5
I agree with @FunkyPhil and @FenellaTheWitch. I also liked Cameron as PM, and I think the two main criticisms re: Brexit he gets (1 - calling the ref; 2 - resigning) are overblown.

With the way the Tory base tilted after Maastricht and Lisbon, the first Tory PM with a majority would've had to call a referendum - no two ways about it, and no matter who it was. The idea that Cameron called a referendum on a gamble or shouldn't have done so is fanciful when you see the make up of Tory voters and their MPs. Politicians respond to democratic demands, and that was the biggest one of recent times.

Similarly, had he not resigned immediately after, he'd have inevitably been deposed months later. Losing a vote like that makes your Premiership a dead one walking, and considering the country endured months (in Boris' case) and years (in May's case) of PMs clinging on for dear life, it's refreshing he went when he knew the game was up.

Ironically, it's all those (inc. our dear Jobby) who've slated him for years for 'running away' who are now moaning he's returned. Some can never be satisifed.

Reactions: 1
I thought Cameron did the honourable thing in resigning immediately after losing the Brexit vote. Surely he wasn't supposed to.hang around, going through the motions of making it work?

Reactions: 4

Marr with some very astute analysis here re: Cameron appointment - LBC gets such a benefit from having a journalist of his gravitas, experience and connections in the tent.

Reactions: 4
Marr with some very astute analysis here re: Cameron appointment - LBC gets such a benefit from having a journalist of his gravitas, experience and connections in the tent.
Cameron made a complete dogs-dinner of Libya when he was PM, whatever Marr might say. Still, Jim Davidson would probably have been less right-wing than Suella. :ROFLMAO:

The one thing Cameron brings to the table is his position on the world stage with other leaders. He is well known to the Macrons, Tusks, von de Leyen's of the European world. He always got on very well with Obama. They'll know what they're dealing with and after the years of May, Boris and the other two, they're probably quite pleased.

Very mixed reactions out there today following Cameron's appointment. I always thought he was a bit young to disappear completely.

Reactions: 2
Cameron didn't expect he'd have to hold a referendum. Tories were miles behind in the polls and the best hope of staying in office after 2015 was another coalition with the Lib Dems. The first thing negotiated out of any new agreement would have been holding a referendum

Cameron didn't expect he'd have to hold a referendum. Tories were miles behind in the polls and the best hope of staying in office after 2015 was another coalition with the Lib Dems. The first thing negotiated out of any new agreement would have been holding a referendum
100%. Don't think anyone was more shocked than Cameron that they actually won.

Esther McVey is the new Common Sense Tsar..responsible for anti-wokery.

Jobbie will be foaming at the mouth...

• Haha
Reactions: 5
There's hope for Phoenix Liz then? If she can deliver...? In Liz We Truss :D

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 3
Are ex pms allowed to become pm again? :unsure:
Cameron's been made a Peer so that he can sit in Cabinet but he won't be allowed in the Commons. He'd have to give up the Peerage and fight for a seat in the HoC to be eligible to become an MP. He'd then have to become Tory leader and win a GE to become PM.

Good question for Jobby on Thursday morning!

He'd become discombobulated if someone asked that question....

Anyone for Boris? :giggle: :giggle:

• Haha
...Can someone wake me up when this tit show is over? I'm having a media blackout for at least 72hrs. It's not good for me. The return of Cameron has broken me.

I've never heard a radio presenter try and flog their book live on air so much as Jobby. Is he in financial trouble or something? :ROFLMAO: Maybe he wants to raise his profile so that he can break America like The Beetles.
Actually can you imagine how the US would treat Jobby? Remember he was routed by the chavs of daytime ITV.

A country used to shock-jocks would find him to be easy meat.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.