LBC Chit Chat #10

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Another meeja personality with a punchable face is Krishnan Guru-Murty (great friends with Jobby), he turned up on his first day at Channel 4 news after landing a massive deal driving a new red Ferrari. By all accounts the people who worked there on very modest salaries immediately thought: twit. He didn't arrive to work the next day in it. :LOL:
I once took part in a live Channel 4 afternoon debate show hosted by the punchable Krishnan.. He was quite a diva but not as bad as that vile Christian Jessen who I dared to challenge live on air. Odious oxygen thief..
---
I was listening for the first hour at 4am which was more than enough. All the regular callers, Lenny from Ashford, James from Manchester, Christine from Bromley I think, Scouser Mark and then Shane from Edinburgh who actually said the producers called him to invite him to chat. Made me wonder if it is more producers calling regulars as there are insufficient people calling in 🤔
I think they do...I heard someone refer to being called up to contribute yesterday..

Reactions: 3
I was listening for the first hour at 4am which was more than enough. All the regular callers, Lenny from Ashford, James from Manchester, Christine from Bromley I think, Scouser Mark and then Shane from Edinburgh who actually said the producers called him to invite him to chat. Made me wonder if it is more producers calling regulars as there are insufficient people calling in 🤔
LBC shot themselves in the foot losing Steve Allen who'd held the whole station together for years. He whipped up a strong audience at 4.00am, kept them until 7.00am when he could hand them over to Nick Ferrari, and LBC's day would be off to a fine start.

That early morning slot has never been adequately filled since Steve left, I don't think many people want to wake up to half-baked politics, doom and gloom. Call-ins that early are horrendous because the callers seem to be the illogical hysterics who are only on air because there's virtually no-one calm, sane and intelligent to put on instead. I seem to end up on Premier Radio now (and I'm not religious) because I want to listen to calm talk not the urgent Paxman-style of bombast that LBC is riddled with.

I reckon LBC needs a serious re-think because it's boring right now. Jobby with his self-serving, Brexit laden output, and the same single topics done to death by all the presenters 24 hours a day for days on end. And the topics themselves, usually so blindingly obvious there's no room for debate. It's waffle and stodge, followed by stodge followed by more stodge with only momentary relief.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Made me wonder if it is more producers calling regulars as there are insufficient people calling in 🤔
Well LBC have done it in the past. They were investigated by Ofcom over a call to Nick Ferrari's show a few years ago I believe. I can't remember the details in full. A producer contacted an ex member of a far right group who lives in Spain to call in about something, it might have even been a phone-in to a prominent minister. None of this information was given out, it was as if the caller had rung-in unprompted ... very naughty. I read about it in Private Eye ... sorry I can't remember the full details!

Reactions: 2
LBC shot themselves in the foot losing Steve Allen who'd held the whole station together for years. He whipped up a strong audience at 4.00am, kept them until 7.00am when he could hand them over to Nick Ferrari, and LBC's day would be off to a fine start.

That early morning slot has never been adequately filled since Steve left, I don't think many people want to wake up to half-baked politics, doom and gloom. Call-ins that early are horrendous because the callers seem to be the illogical hysterics who are only on air because there's virtually no-one calm, sane and intelligent to put on instead. I seem to end up on Premier Radio now (and I'm not religious) because I want to listen to calm talk not the urgent Paxman-style of bombast that LBC is riddled with.

I reckon LBC needs a serious re-think because it's boring right now. Jobby with his self-serving, Brexit laden output, and the same single topics done to death by all the presenters 24 hours a day for days on end. And the topics themselves, usually so blindingly obvious there's no room for debate. It's waffle and stodge, followed by stodge followed by more stodge with only momentary relief.
I agree with you about LBC being boring but that's because they mostly only offer headline topics for discussion. I don't hear all of Ian Payne's show, just second hour and a half., and get the impression the first two hours are pretty lightweight. He only switches to a headline topic for the last hour and opens the phone lines.
I don't miss Steve. It was a running joke that he trotted out the same stuff year after year but it was interspersed with amusing anecdotes about what he'd been doing, buying, eating, but that had lost its sparkle. He'd become secretive about his health problems, and was sounding tired. I wouldn't be surprised if he was relieved when he didn't have to make what was beginning to sound like an effort.

Last edited:
Oli Dugmore was late this morning. Poor Clive announced at 4am nobody had turned up so he was staying on. I think he turned up at 5.30 but I was dozing. When I did kind of wake up around 6.30 Oli sounded in a foul mood.

• Wow
Oli Dugmore was late this morning. Poor Clive announced at 4am nobody had turned up so he was staying on. I think he turned up at 5.30 but I was dozing. When I did kind of wake up around 6.30 Oli sounded in a foul mood.
How unprofessional.

Reactions: 4
Not great on only his second weekend in the job.

He sounds like an arrogant twit to me..Very opinionated and cocky. Natural stand-in for Comrade James when he heads off on his expensive holidays and leaves the nation to wallow in our misery.

Reactions: 5

He sounds like an arrogant twit to me..Very opinionated and cocky. Natural stand-in for Comrade James when he heads off on his expensive holidays and leaves the nation to wallow in our misery.
The comments on here made me look on Twitter. It looks as though there is a campaign to make him look good which has been rather exposed by him turning up late. It is really rather awkward when you tell everyone how great his show has been when he wasn't there!

Maybe LBC are grooming him in case James either flounces-off or gets sacked. Having one JOB on LBC is more than enough thank you very much we don't need two.

He is a bit of a knob. Day job is editor of PoliticsJoe, a sort of hipster politics site (very left wing, LOVES Corbyn). Did a YouTube thing throwing eggs at a statue of Thatcher.

• Sick
He is a bit of a knob. Day job is editor of PoliticsJoe, a sort of hipster politics site (very left wing, LOVES Corbyn). Did a YouTube thing throwing eggs at a statue of Thatcher.
Uh ... just what we need, someone else broadcasting to the nation who more than likely has zero relatable real-world experiences to the people who actually listen. :rolleyes:

Jobbie must have worked with him when he did podcast interviews for Joe. Probably recognised a kindred spirit and has recommended him to LBC.

• Sick
Maybe LBC are grooming him in case James either flounces-off or gets sacked. Having one JOB on LBC is more than enough thank you very much we don't need two.

Where's he going to flounce to ? He's got the perfect gig, turning up every day and spewing tedious bile to his lickspittles and earning a fortune for it.

Where's he going to flounce to ? He's got the perfect gig, turning up every day and spewing tedious bile to his lickspittles and earning a fortune for it.
Well ... that's why his position is quite interesting. If I was LBC management I would call his bluff and offer him minimum wage. I don't think he's got anywhere else to go.

I wish LBC could find some more male presenters that weren't ex public school boys. James' replacement is alright I suppose, but I just cannot relate to him at all, same with Swarbrick. Alright, but just no wit or charm.

Btw ... I caught a bit of Ian this morning and it was quite good, talking about male mental health. Some interesting callers. Of course, "She got the house and I got the pension" was mentioned. :LOL:

Well ... that's why his position is quite interesting. If I was LBC management I would call his bluff and offer him minimum wage. I don't think he's got anywhere else to go.

I wish LBC could find some more male presenters that weren't ex public school boys. James' replacement is alright I suppose, but I just cannot relate to him at all, same with Swarbrick. Alright, but just no wit or charm.

Btw ... I caught a bit of Ian this morning and it was quite good, talking about male mental health. Some interesting callers. Of course, "She got the house and I got the pension" was mentioned. :LOL:
Lewis Goodall is a bit of a cross between James and Jon Sopel.

Basically he is a Labour activist trying to hide behind claiming to be a journalist.

Basically he is a Labour activist trying to hide behind claiming to be a journalist.
Getting harder and harder to distinguish the two these days. Even the term 'journalist' is used incorrectly most of the time to describe contributors. The whole meeja industry at the moment seems to be a very loose coalition of grifting cunts ... so to speak. :cautious: (Sorry to be so cynical).

Reactions: 1
I did try to give Lewis Goodall's show a chance this morning but just found it so dull and tedious...Not what I need as background "entertainment" to get me through the difficult mornings.

Reactions: 1
I did try to give Lewis Goodall's show a chance this morning but just found it so dull and tedious...Not what I need as background "entertainment" to get me through the difficult mornings.
Indeed. Plus he speaks way too fast, gave me a headache after 10 minutes.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.