Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

BonBon27

VIP Member
Father of The Bride.
Have to say I see it totally differently as an adult and mum - George Banks was expected to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on a wedding that meant his house was being completely ransacked for. I’d be going mental too!
Also annoys me how he’s totally left out of the whole wedding reception, like he just misses everything and no one thinks to find him/wait for him. I know it’s not true 🤣 but it’s wound me up!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 12

Goujon

Chatty Member
I was just reading an article about how 1999 was one of the greatest in cinema history, and its incredible how right it is.

Can you imagine that in the same year the instant classics Fight Club and The Matrix were released. The Matrix is often lauded as the greatest SciFi movie ever while Fight Club was the movie that instantly turned Brad Pitt from a heart throb to THE No.1 mega star in Hollywood.

OK, maybe they are a bit blokey. No problem: How about the sine qua non of the high school rom com: Ten Things I Hate About You- the absolute pinnacle of the genre and incredibly smart and funny to this day.

Need more high school comedies? Well look no further than American Pie. The film that launched an entire genre on its own (the gross-out comedy).

Those four are already better then 99% of what has been made in the past ten years

Or Cruel Intentions, the film that had a tame girl-girl kiss that was seen as being the naughtiest thing ever committed to film.

OK OK I get the point, they made a lot of good movies that year, I hear you say.

Well don't forget one of the biggest romantic movies of ALL TIME: Notting Hill. "I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her" -COME ON!!

Want to leave the cinema a blubbering mess: we got you covered: just go see Tom Hanks and Mr Jingles in The Green Mile.

Let's not forget the iconic The Sixth Sense came out the same year.

Not creepy enough? It might seem silly and ridiculous now, but The Blair Witch Project had us all OBSESSED and I for one forswore forests for a long long time after.

For animation lovers, one of Pixar's true greats was released : Toy Story 2.

Honestly, how did we have time for anything else with so many amazing movies?

We haven't even gotten into the serious Oscar contenders from that year.

My own personal favourite in that catergory is Michael Mann's terrific "The Insider". Russell Crowe is the whistleblower in the tobacco industry, and Al Pacino actually puts in a restrained performance as a TV producer. This is up there with Gladiator as Crowe's best performance (Gladiator would follow the next year).

If you wanted Al Pacino being Al Pacino, look no further than "Any Given Sunday". His speech "Life's about inches" - one of the greatest motivational speeches ever delivered, and still shown to sports teams 25 years later.

At that time, an ever dependable shout for best actor was Denzel Washington. He delivered the goods yet again with The Hurricane. A tour de force from "My Man"

For the lovers of serious art house ish Oscar-y films, there are lots there were lots more to keep you happy such as
Magnolia
American Beauty
Being John Malkovich
All About My Mother

A year that will never be bettered IMO. Prove me wrong !

• Heart
Reactions: 11

Peonyrose

VIP Member
All of us strangers. How Andrew Scott did not get an Oscar is unbelievable.
Have tissues for the middle scene.

• Heart
Reactions: 10

Ablemabel

VIP Member
All of us strangers. How Andrew Scott did not get an Oscar is unbelievable.
Have tissues for the middle scene.
It ended me! I started crying around 20 mins in, reached peak wailing half way through and then blubbed through the rest of it. Honestly, it was devastating. Beautiful but devastating.

Also I thought Claire Foy was remarkable. Breaks my heart just thinking about it 🥹

• Heart
Reactions: 10

Sancrow

Planes,trains & automobiles,
The scene at the end in the train station 😢,John candy was taken to soon.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 8

Lyra1970

I can’t see how anyone who has had a difficult relationship with their parents, has had a major bereavement or been lonely couldn’t watch this film without their heart breaking. It’s an extraordinary film. Beautiful but devastating.
I adore Andrew scott but having lost my gay son to suicide I really can’t risk watching this .
I’d love to but I just know it would take me to a dark place and I can’t do that to myself x

• Heart
Reactions: 7

Goujon

Chatty Member
Watched The Holiday for the first time.
Rubbish and cheesy, but I loved it 😂
Ah the Holiday is a very well made film. It's only rubbish and cheesy because we have all watched it a thousand times.
But everyone in it gives great performances. Kate Winslet is perfect (as always), Jack Black is actually restrained and likable. Jude Law is a bit meh actually. But Cameron Diaz is prefectly cast as the fish out of water Yank.

Millennial Pink

VIP Member
OK, maybe they are a bit blokey. No problem: How about the sine qua non of the high school rom com: Ten Things I Hate About You- the absolute pinnacle of the genre and incredibly smart and funny to this day.
I still maintain that 10 Things I Hate About You is the ONLY modern adaptation of Taming of the Shrew that's worked. They make Kate vulnerable and other adaptations don't bother.

• Heart

Loubywoobywoo

Chatty Member
Oppenheimer. It was really good, though very long, as it lasts three hours! Some incredible acting and did not recognise Robert Downey Jr as Strauss!

Reactions: 6

Danica Catrick

Chatty Member
Finally watched The Iron Claw last night. I wanted to watch it ever since I heard it was in development, but this was the first chance I'd had.

I wasn't sure about some of the casting, but I did enjoy it overall. I did wonder how much I'd enjoy it if I didn't know the von Erich's story.

Reactions: 6