Katie snooks #5 Cheese, meat, booze and cake! Back to A&E with a tummy ache

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The comment re career/having children annoyed me a lot to be honest. I'm 29 years old and 20 weeks pregnant at the moment. I didn't put my career aside by any means - and (not to big myself up too much) but by a lot of people's estimation I am further ahead and have a more successful career than Katie.

In a way, her comment is basically saying her sister hasn't put her career ahead of having a child. What a bizarre thing to post on the day her niece is born.

Look, each to their own - have children or don't - but as a woman, how about we don't play up the stereotype of "career" versus "motherhood". Both can and do exist in the same space.
She clearly doesn’t want, or could even cope, with a child. That is perfectly fine! It’s 2021. Woman aren’t just baby machines. However she is conflicted because even though she doesn’t want children, she wants the attention one would bring her.

Her younger sister has had a successful relationship for many years. Resulting in purchasing her own house and having a baby this year. This is why Kath has settled with Geoff, she is trying to catch up

• Sad
Reactions: 10
Actually looking back on her ‘why I’m not having a baby story’, I’ve realised how offensive that post is. Having a baby does not mean sacrificing your career.
However in her case, whatever her career is (I’m still not sure between whinging enthusiast or hipster alcoholic) but having a baby would affect her lifestyle. Bcoz she can’t go out on the piss all the time or eat posh brunches or faff around the house and whinge about everything in sight. She has made her lifestyle into her “career” and having a baby would impact that. So stop the BS Katie. U ain’t a feminist advocate so stop trying to talk on behalf of women who do not choose to have children. You’re lazy and ur lifestyle is inappropriate to raise a child so let’s call a spade a spade yeh? Instead of denigrating others for their reproductive choices

Reactions: 17
Also she says career as if she wouldn’t have time for a baby? She de clutters twice a week and calls it a job

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 23
Also she says career as if she wouldn’t have time for a baby? She de clutters twice a week and calls it a job
We will all see her abysmal skills at looking after a child if by some stupid reason her sister is dumb enough to let her babysit she offers to babysit. I can see that vlog now- her flapping about the house in a right panic and Father Geoff being the only sane hands on adult in the house.

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 8
We will all see her abysmal skills at looking after a child if by some stupid reason her sister is dumb enough to let her babysit she offers to babysit. I can see that vlog now- her flapping about the house in a right panic and Father Geoff being the only sane hands on adult in the house.
She'd probably soothe baby to sleep with vibrations of a sex toy - like Samantha did with Brady in SATC.

• Haha
Reactions: 6
She'd probably soothe baby to sleep with vibrations of a sex toy - like Samantha did with Brady in SATC.
poor child will be scared shitless in their Walthamstow dungeonstyle Victorian living room alleyway with its haunted mannequin. She will prob give it her taxidermy rodent collections to play with instead of stuffed animals

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 11
Actually looking back on her ‘why I’m not having a baby story’, I’ve realised how offensive that post is. Having a baby does not mean sacrificing your career.
However in her case, whatever her career is (I’m still not sure between whinging enthusiast or hipster alcoholic) but having a baby would affect her lifestyle. Bcoz she can’t go out on the piss all the time or eat posh brunches or faff around the house and whinge about everything in sight. She has made her lifestyle into her “career” and having a baby would impact that. So stop the BS Katie. U ain’t a feminist advocate so stop trying to talk on behalf of women who do not choose to have children. You’re lazy and ur lifestyle is inappropriate to raise a child so let’s call a spade a spade yeh? Instead of denigrating others for their reproductive choices
Exactly this. People need to stop pushing the whole thing of ‘career OR baby’ for women. You can (most of the time)/should be able to have both. Also can’t get over her saying she prioritised her career when she would most likely use a baby for content.

Reactions: 14
She clearly doesn’t want, or could even cope, with a child. That is perfectly fine! It’s 2021. Woman aren’t just baby machines. However she is conflicted because even though she doesn’t want children, she wants the attention one would bring her.

Her younger sister has had a successful relationship for many years. Resulting in purchasing her own house and having a baby this year. This is why Kath has settled with Geoff, she is trying to catch up
She’s jealous of her sister. She wanted to be the one who has everything first. Her sister got engaged and had a house before her. The spite on her face when her sis was trying on wedding dresses, then Kath was ‘feeling down’ again after that, wonder why? Because she wasn’t the centre of attention. She settled for G as he’s at an age where she could live off him so she does the bare minimum

Reactions: 13
Having a baby can affect women's career prospects though? Reports have been commissioned which show fewer women return to full time work after having children and many take part time roles.

I'm not in agreement with people saying women should choose between a career or a child as that's such an outdated attitude. But saying that there are no obstacles for women and we can have both is ignoring the issues faced by women when it comes to returning to the workplace.

If we don't acknowledge these issues then we can't work to change it and make it so more women are able to balance a career and a family.

I'm not sure how much that affects Katie though as her career revolves around taking photos of food and her stomach when it's bloated. I guess she won't be able to do any more Jack Daniel's adverts though.

Reactions: 14
100%. Being a woman and having a child can certainly impact your career, and I think it’s really important to acknowledge that a huge imbalance still exists, and continue to fight that injustice.

However I think the issue here is the polarising of “career” versus “having a child” - and by Katie saying she put her career first ahead of having a child (on the very same day her niece was born no less) does show a certain lack of respect to her sister.

Women can excel in their career and have children - even if under current imbalances in our society, that can be hard to do.

Having a baby can affect women's career prospects though? Reports have been commissioned which show fewer women return to full time work after having children and many take part time roles.

I'm not in agreement with people saying women should choose between a career or a child as that's such an outdated attitude. But saying that there are no obstacles for women and we can have both is ignoring the issues faced by women when it comes to returning to the workplace.

If we don't acknowledge these issues then we can't work to change it and make it so more women are able to balance a career and a family.

I'm not sure how much that affects Katie though as her career revolves around taking photos of

Reactions: 6
100%. Being a woman and having a child can certainly impact your career, and I think it’s really important to acknowledge that a huge imbalance still exists, and continue to fight that injustice.

However I think the issue here is the polarising of “career” versus “having a child” - and by Katie saying she put her career first ahead of having a child (on the very same day her niece was born no less) does show a certain lack of respect to her sister.

Women can excel in their career and have children - even if under current imbalances in our society, that can be hard to do.
Definitely agree with this.
Lady Kathleen of Merlot and Cheese is in no position to dictate to others babies mean sacrificing a career. YES there is a lot to do in empowering mothers/parents in the workplace post childbirth but the way Katie has put it right on the birth of her niece in the middle of a birthday piss up claiming laying about in her underpants is a ‘career’ I mean PFFFT

• Sad
Reactions: 8

It did seem passive aggressive for her to answer that question on Instagram stories on the day her sister gives birth I agree.

And the career Vs women debate is polarising but I don't necessarily think Katie is the cause of that. She's just the product of a society which does have obstacles for women looking to pursue both a career and a child. More often than not it is the woman who is saddled with most of the childcare at the expense of work.

Pointing this out isn't somehow anti feminist. I think acknowledging that these difficulties exist for women can be the first step in overcoming them. It's not enough to say 'well I did it so other women can' because statistics show it's not that easy for most women.

Reactions: 4
Katie answered that question like that for one reason only - jealously or envy.

I know because I used to do that. I’m 29 and desperate to have a baby but I can’t right now because of where my partner and I are in our careers. We don’t have enough money and we want to finish our major post grad exams before having a family (both doctors). I was totally jealous of my friends who were pregnant.

So I’d make snide remarks like Katie that are basically underhanded compliments. I no longer do this but that’s honestly where it’s coming from imo.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
For me it was the fact she chose to say that on the day her sister gave birth. It's all about herself

Reactions: 17
Yeah on any other day perhaps it would be an interesting topic of conversation for Kathleen to talk about- the pressures women face and the prejudice of others about decisions re when to have kids and the impact on a career. But a) she phrased it like she'd picked her career in a weirdly competitive way that wasn't sensitive or well phrased at all and B) she posted it on the day her younger sister gave birth... suggests that that hit a nerve to me.
If she was honest and said hey. My friends/siblings are having babies and I feel a little envious even though it's not right for me right now, that would also have been so much more valuable rather than this completely transparent, narcissistic and unnecessary story

Last edited:
  • Heart
Honestly, if I did what Katie ‘does’ and called it a career, I’d hope you guys would hunt me down and give me a slap.

• Heart
Yeah on any other day perhaps it would be an interesting topic of conversation for Kathleen to talk about- the pressures women face and the prejudice of others about decisions re when to have kids and the impact on a career. But a) she phrased it like she'd picked her career in a weirdly competitive way that wasn't sensitive or well phrased at all and B) she posted it on the day her younger sister gave birth... suggests that that hit a nerve to me.
If she was honest and said hey. My friends/siblings are having babies and I feel a little envious even though it's not right for me right now, that would also have been so much more valuable rather than this completely transparent, narcissistic and unnecessary story
Yeah it's the way in which she went about it which screams passive aggressive to me. Not necessarily the message she was trying to convey.

Reactions: 7
Anyway, why does it have to be career or baby? Not all women want to chase the whole ‘big career’ thing. Some people just want to have a chilled life with no kids.

Reactions: 16
Anyway, why does it have to be career or baby? Not all women want to chase the whole ‘big career’ thing. Some people just want to have a chilled life with no kids.
True! I'm one of them. I adore my siblings' and friends' kids but I love my carefree life more.

I think she does want kids. (It was on her little goals list she posted a while back). I think also that deep down maybe she realises that Geoffo is not the one. And seeing her sis have a baby with her partner whom she seems to love to bits makes Katie sad and bitter.
Honestly, I wouldn't want to be Katie. All the issues!

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.