Kate Garraway

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Why would you think they have private medical care? They could have got a grant for their house adaption. They should also be in receipt of benefits for him. I wonder about who pays for the 24/7 care. He is living at home now isn’t he? I assume she’s had all the disability benefit advice she’s entitled to from the experts. She might have also got a production fee for the documentary.

No one knows how they’d react until they are in a situation like this. She could have asked DIY SOS for help but I don’t know if they were filming during COVID. 😬
I imagine it’s a bit of both. She’ll get the benefits that he’s entitled too but I doubt it would cover 24/7 care, especially for long Covid (which she says he now has). If she’s had the house adapted, they’ve done it very quick. It took ages for my Grandparents to get the adaptations and some of it was means tested (they paid for the majority of it themselves due to having savings/pension etc). It’s a heartbreaking situation for the whole family. I’m not comfortable with him being filmed etc if he can’t/couldn’t give his permission. He seemed quite a private person and now the world has seen him at his most vulnerable.

Reactions: 1
I feel for her, her husband and the kids especially.
but bloody hell not a day goes by when she doesn’t put a price tag on his dignity and self respect.

this isn’t raising awareness, this is rubbernecking a man who’s been left a shell of his former self with 24/7 care to perform his most basic tasks.

she needs to stop putting all of this online when he’s living it daily.
am I being too judgemental here.
How many people are in the same situation, but they are just having to get on with it? In reality she is no different to anyone else who has bills to pay.

Reactions: 6
I imagine it’s a bit of both. She’ll get the benefits that he’s entitled too but I doubt it would cover 24/7 care, especially for long Covid (which she says he now has). If she’s had the house adapted, they’ve done it very quick. It took ages for my Grandparents to get the adaptations and some of it was means tested (they paid for the majority of it themselves due to having savings/pension etc). It’s a heartbreaking situation for the whole family. I’m not comfortable with him being filmed etc if he can’t/couldn’t give his permission. He seemed quite a private person and now the world has seen him at his most vulnerable.
She was out banging her pans for the NHS every Thursday and has talked a lot about their care, so I assumed he was under the NHS for his time in hospital.

Reactions: 3
She was out banging her pans for the NHS every Thursday and has talked a lot about their care, so I assumed he was under the NHS for his time in hospital.
He was under NHS care but I’d be surprised if they don’t have private care too for his complex needs.

How many people are in the same situation, but they are just having to get on with it? In reality she is no different to anyone else who has bills to pay.
To be fair how many of us have problems but our job is to get asked about them in front of the nation each morning? She can't really avoid it too much.

Her NTA win story from The Daily star came up on my Instagram search page (I’m not a Daily Star reader honest 🤣), and the comments are mostly absolutely slating her.

Her NTA win story from The Daily star came up on my Instagram search page (I’m not a Daily Star reader honest 🤣), and the comments are mostly absolutely slating her.
I don’t know why anyone would slate her! She has been really strong throughout what just be a horrendous ordeal! And to be in the public eye whilst going through something so difficult must put even more pressure on a person.
I personally couldn’t deal with it 😢

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 13
I don’t know why anyone would slate her! She has been really strong throughout what just be a horrendous ordeal! And to be in the public eye whilst going through something so difficult must put even more pressure on a person.
I personally couldn’t deal with it 😢
I think slating her is inhumane

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I find it funny that the cameras just happen to be there for Derek’s ‘first trip out’. Why can’t they just go out privately?! Let the man enjoy some time with his family/kids without being wheeled out as a show pony!

Reactions: 14
Wouldn’t be going anywhere if I was him like, if he gets Covid again he’s a gonner
Not sure he has a choice! It’s a perfect photo opportunity for KG and that is all she cares about. How the media still pay for this guy to be her cash cow is beyond me…if it was a man flogging a very poorly and totally vulnerable woman about, there would be (rightly) outrage.

Reactions: 12
The pictures of Xmas day, where he looked very poorly and had the kids by each side, made me so sad. What a private family moment to exploit. Those poor kids too.

Reactions: 9
Is it wise to take her hubby out to a pantomime when we are in another pandemic?
To be honest, I’m glad she did, because then we could all see his recovery. She is always giving updates as if the poor man is still just lying there. I supported her in the beginning but then found the constant updates tedious and no consideration for Derek’s privacy. She even had the outing papped and then the next day another sad pic of him being poorly. Maybe she should have not taken him out and exposing him to all sorts!

I’ve stuck up for Kate on these threads before and I still hope she’s misguided rather than calculating. But if she had said they’d been out rather than being papped I would’ve been more inclined to think they’d agreed to do something ‘normal’ for the kids (although neither of the kids are little, but that’s by the by).

She’s taking over from Piers Morgan on Life Stories, be interesting to know when that starts.

• Sad
I still think there are huge issues with privacy and consent here. Is he agreeing to any of this or is he even aware of it? And their kids.

They may be desperate for money but her behaviour still raises a lot of flags for me.

Reactions: 7
I knew Derek for many years and seeing him out, although looking so frail, did make me feel happy for him, that there’s an improvement enough for him to leave the the family home.

Derek is someone with a burning desire to make change. i actually became politically active as a result of something he did as a teenager, as did many others, including a current MP.
i look at him and Kate and think, yes, derek is changing lives, in a way noone would want to. Kate has already spoken of some of dereks experimental treatments becoming mainstream as a result.
kate is also speaking Up for carers, using her public platform for people who are not often listened to.
I so hope that with further advances in care and treatment derek will be able to able to speak for himself.
I know he will have an awful lot to say!

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.