Kate Garraway

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I've bought the book

Re the Critical Illness Cover (or lack of it) - apparently Derek was in the midst of closing one of his companies and setting up another when he got poorly so the cover didn't get transferred over. She didn't put much more detail in other than a sentence. It could be that he didn't have it in the first place but that was her excuse/reason.

Someone further up thread said she couldn't touch his money as she didn't have Power of Attorney - it was his money, his bank accounts, not joint accounts that she couldn't access. She's a director in his company now....

Re the screen recordings - she said she did this to scrutinise it afterwards for signs of improvement as she was too in the moment when speaking to him. It sounded like doing this, and doing as much research as she could, kept her going.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I actually rather like KG (not enough to set up a rave thread ;) ) but I think she's doing the best she can in a horrible situation - Derek may never be the man she married again due to health, the kids are teens and therefore times could get hard both emotionally and financially. Meanwhile, she's trying to hold it all together and hold down quite a big TV job. I give her kudos for being able to do it - for how long she can manage, I don't know. But she's someone I would give the benefit of the doubt.

• Heart
Reactions: 23
The whole family have been through the mill and lets hope her husband improves in time. I think she's been an inspiration for some others who've suffered severe emotional hardship this last year. Keep your chin up Kate and family.

Reactions: 10
I actually rather like KG (not enough to set up a rave thread ;) ) but I think she's doing the best she can in a horrible situation - Derek may never be the man she married again due to health, the kids are teens and therefore times could get hard both emotionally and financially. Meanwhile, she's trying to hold it all together and hold down quite a big TV job. I give her kudos for being able to do it - for how long she can manage, I don't know. But she's someone I would give the benefit of the doubt.
I really like her too and wouldn’t wish the cards she has been dealt in the last year! Really feel for her

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Im not sure! It isnt that dignified for Derek I agree, but...

To some extent she is using this to pay for the refurb of their house, and to enable the 24/7 care he needs to be paid for, and making sure her bills are paid and her kids are looked after. It must be better for him to be at home, with support than in a hospital bed in the NHS.And Covid is a topical issue.

And as a media personality, she is probably being asked how he is by everyone...all the time....so is telling everyone the story on her terms.
Also- we don’t know what he wants in all this. She may well know that much better than we do. Perhaps he would want this if it meant security for his wife and kids.

Reactions: 6
We all do what we have to do to keep a roof over our heads especially when you have a young family so Kate is doing just that, she's looking after her family and good luck to her and her husband.

Reactions: 16
This whole thing makes me so sad for Derek and angry at how he is being exploited. Here is an intelligent and professional man who I can’t imagine for one minute would want the whole world to see him so vulnerable. Would Kate be doing all of this if his prognosis for the future was better I wonder.

Reactions: 4
A sequel to come, according to the Mail today. She and whoever is advising her have no shame. Just big appetites for cash.

Reactions: 3
I knew Derek really well. He has spent most of his life in politics in one form or other. He is also one of those people who really doesn’t give a duck what people think or say about him. Never has done.
I've no doubt that he supports Kate and her campaign.
I don’t know anything about their finances other than what has been reported, but I suspect that as a family they are in a precarious position. Derek probably won’t work again. Kate is working several contracts - would anyone one do this unless they had to with two young kids and a desperately ill husband?
I don’t begrudge her any of her award winning, book writing etc.
I hope she continues to speak up.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
I knew Derek really well. He has spent most of his life in politics in one form or other. He is also one of those people who really doesn’t give a duck what people think or say about him. Never has done.
I've no doubt that he supports Kate and her campaign.
I don’t know anything about their finances other than what has been reported, but I suspect that as a family they are in a precarious position. Derek probably won’t work again. Kate is working several contracts - would anyone one do this unless they had to with two young kids and a desperately ill husband?
I don’t begrudge her any of her award winning, book writing etc.
I hope she continues to speak up.
I really struggle to believe their finances are precarious. Even without all the extra stuff, she earns £500k from GMB alone. On that salary, even with no extras, no income from investments, no savings etc that’s a lot of money. Derek is in no position to support her campaign either; I think that’s what a lot of people have issue with.

Reactions: 10
I really struggle to believe their finances are precarious. Even without all the extra stuff, she earns £500k from GMB alone. On that salary, even with no extras, no income from investments, no savings etc that’s a lot of money. Derek is in no position to support her campaign either; I think that’s what a lot of people have issue with.
Exactly this - we were getting in depth updates about his condition even when he was in a coma. There’s no consent there.

It’s the opposite of Michael Schumacher’s family who have kept his privacy and I really respect that.

I also don’t believe that they are in a precarious position financially. If they ARE they are in a much better position that other people and have options to move home etc. Surely these things should come before exploiting your vulnerable husband.

Reactions: 9
Exactly this - we were getting in depth updates about his condition even when he was in a coma. There’s no consent there.

It’s the opposite of Michael Schumacher’s family who have kept his privacy and I really respect that.

I also don’t believe that they are in a precarious position financially. If they ARE they are in a much better position that other people and have options to move home etc. Surely these things should come before exploiting your vulnerable husband.

With respect, Schumacher is worth an absolute fortune. & releasing a netflix documentary is hardly 'keeping his privacy'. Kate is supporting 2 kids and having to pay for 24/7 medical care for her husband. I imagine 500k a year doesn't touch the sides.

Reactions: 7
With respect, Schumacher is worth an absolute fortune. & releasing a netflix documentary is hardly 'keeping his privacy'. Kate is supporting 2 kids and having to pay for 24/7 medical care for her husband. I imagine 500k a year doesn't touch the sides.
You are right about the costs. I have private healthcare and one appointment (which was bloods, an MRI scan and consultation) was over £3k. My private prescription for one medication for 30 days was £90. His medical costs (if not funded by the NHS) will be tens of thousands. I imagine she’s doing what she needs to do to keep the money rolling in.

Reactions: 7
You are right about the costs. I have private healthcare and one appointment (which was bloods, an MRI scan and consultation) was over £3k. My private prescription for one medication for 30 days was £90. His medical costs (if not funded by the NHS) will be tens of thousands. I imagine she’s doing what she needs to do to keep the money rolling in.
Why would you think they have private medical care? They could have got a grant for their house adaption. They should also be in receipt of benefits for him. I wonder about who pays for the 24/7 care. He is living at home now isn’t he? I assume she’s had all the disability benefit advice she’s entitled to from the experts. She might have also got a production fee for the documentary.

No one knows how they’d react until they are in a situation like this. She could have asked DIY SOS for help but I don’t know if they were filming during COVID. 😬

Reactions: 2
It had been reported on a political gossip site prior to his illness that Derek was in financial difficulties.
As I said, I don’t know if this was true or not but it’s sometimes wrong to assume that people in the public eye are rich.

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.