Kate Garraway #3 No respect for privacy of others, trip to Mexico kept undercovers!

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Oh the poor me continues
It's sickening that she's constantly bleating on how she's felt or feeling.
I'm hoping the tabloids turn on her soon
I think they already have tbh. Like the Daily Mail article upthread, about her putting on a brave face or whatever. They are doing their usual - read between the lines type of thing. She looks full of the joys of spring, never mind a brave face.

Also 'It is every single minute I didn't spend holding his hand because I had to write an email or take a call to fight the system that should be there to catch you when you fall'

I imagine that is truly sickening for many people who have experience of caring, in whatever capacity. Her experience is nothing like other people's given the money she has at her disposal. And the fact that she turned his illness and death into an absolute circus.

Reactions: 17
One of the things that pisses me off the most about this witch's grift....if that ACTUAL carers are praising her.

I'm a member of a few carer's groups online (Facebook and what not) and I'm absolutely staggered by how many people are sharing articles about her and gassing her up. I'm sorry, but people who believe she's helping need their bloody heads checked! And people who are actually struggling in caring roles banging the drum to support her just makes me sick!

It's like they're all hanging on her next word to see what she does to help "fix" things, but we know already that she'll do absolutely jack tit! She's had four years to campaign for changes and improvements but all she's done is promote herself off the back of her sick husband in the name of carers. That's not going to change now Derek is dead and she's free to go back to a normal life.
I am in exactly the same position. I got flamed the other day for calling her a grifter as according to them she is a saint for what she is doing for carers. When I pointed out she has a second property In London worth £1 million plus and owes thousands in taxes as well as care fees I was either not believed and worse. I have removed myself - without a word - from both groups as I know I will get angry again if I hear anymore of their crap.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
I am in exactly the same position. I got flamed the other day for calling her a grifter as according to them she is a saint for what she is doing for carers. When I pointed out she has a second property In London worth £1 million plus and owes thousands in taxes as well as care fees I was either not believed and worse. I have removed myself - without a word - from both groups as I know I will get angry again if I hear anymore of their crap.
When she says she owes thousands in care fees, I wonder if she means she took out loans or remorgaged her home.

She need to sell home No.2 and pay her debts.

And she needs to pay her taxes. All goes to pay for the NHS.

Sorry, I have zero sympathy for her.

Reactions: 19
I think they already have tbh. Like the Daily Mail article upthread, about her putting on a brave face or whatever. They are doing their usual - read between the lines type of thing. She looks full of the joys of spring, never mind a brave face.

Also 'It is every single minute I didn't spend holding his hand because I had to write an email or take a call to fight the system that should be there to catch you when you fall'

I imagine that is truly sickening for many people who have experience of caring, in whatever capacity. Her experience is nothing like other people's given the money she has at her disposal. And the fact that she turned his illness and death into an absolute circus.
I know people deal with grief differently, but as you point out the majority of the time she's full of the joys of spring. Most people age a fair few years when their parent/partner dies.

There's always been something about Garraway that I can't quite put my finger on.

She had more money at her disposal than most of us mere mortals. I get the impression from interviews and the documentaries she begrudged paying for care as it would impact her lifestyle. It would be the same if she was in the position Derek was in.

Reactions: 15
I would like her to highlight the complete and utter void and sense of emptiness which is left behind for a true carer when a loved one dies..but she hasn't thought of this yet. Just the sense of having time to think and reflect...which is really hard and incredibly painful and you can't escape from the overwhelming grief.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
I actually don't know how she can reconcile herself or have peace of mind with the fact that she exploited him, in every possible way, during his illness when he was basically helpless to stop her.

You would not wish that to happen to your worst enemy, surely. Never mind to a person you married, and presumably loved. As I said upthread, I didn't watch any of the programmes but I gather that she gave the children no privacy in the whole thing either.

If I was related to him, I would find what she did, very hard to forgive tbh.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
I actually don't know how she can reconcile herself or have peace of mind with the fact that she exploited him, in every possible way, during his illness when he was basically helpless to stop her.

You would not wish that to happen to your worst enemy, surely. Never mind to a person you married, and presumably loved. As I said upthread, I didn't watch any of the programmes but I gather that she gave the children no privacy in the whole thing either.

It’ll be really interesting to see how the children reflect back on this time in ten years time.

• Sad
Reactions: 12

Shes done it for sympathy and tv attentions. she didn't really do the caring she wanted Derek at home for TV clout which costs a lot of money so had to pay for 24 hour care home. She would have got a rehab bed in care home but refused because it wouldn't look good for the image of doting carer wife. I doubt she changed him , did turns or peg fed him. End of the day she wanted CHC for free to fund his home care no people apart from the very terminally ill (I'm talking cancer) are given CHC for home care.
Everything she did wasn't for Derek and get attention it was so she could profit off him and get attention.
Derek would have been much better off in a bespoke nursing home it would have been cheaper , he would have had his pain managed better and privacy.

She never should have took him to Mexico and I'm aghast that social services safeguarding didn't step in and block on best interests. It's quite clear even on the last documentary he still lacked capacity and had suffered significant brain damage.

His poor body couldn't handle being shuffled to Mexico and he wasn't even allowed to die there he was resuscitated again which shouldn't have been allowed considering his poor condition. Then transported home causing more suffering and pain as he spent a few more days in ICU before he passed.
Shes a selfish wench and an abuser.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
She keeps saying it was Derek wanted to do the documentaries. I'm sure in the early stages he wasn't well enough to agree to that.

Reactions: 15
She keeps saying it was Derek wanted to do the documentaries. I'm sure in the early stages he wasn't well enough to agree to that.
No he wasn't , capacity works on understanding the decision , retaining information ,weighing information and making a judgment. He looks very vacant even the last one. Then she filmed voice recordings on the latest one of him screaming (while he was having a feed and personal care) because he was confused and in pain.

• Sick
  • Wow
It would have looked so bad if he "officially" died in Mexico...I'm sure his NHS doctors were horrified by her decision to whisk him off to a dodgy health facility which involved a long haul flight and so much upheaval to his established routine/medical regime.

He had to be brought back to officially die to save face.

• Sick
  • Sad
It would have looked so bad if he "officially" died in Mexico...I'm sure his NHS doctors were horrified by her decision to whisk him off to a dodgy health facility which involved a long haul flight and so much upheaval to his established routine/medical regime.

He had to be brought back to officially die to save face.
It shouldn't matter about looking bad or saving face. It's about Derek's comfort one he never should have been in Mexico two when he had the heart attack he should have been given lots of pain relief and left to die in peace instead of cutting his clothes off , pushing so hard it breaks his ribs, drilling into the bone for IV access that's what resus involves. That poor man was abused ! Just because they can doesn't mean they should he had been through enough.

• Sad
Reactions: 16
No he wasn't , capacity works on understanding the decision , retaining information ,weighing information and making a judgment. He looks very vacant even the last one. Then she filmed voice recordings on the latest one of him screaming (while he was having a feed and personal care) because he was confused and in pain.
As others have said previously POA is very dangerous in the wrong hands.

He lacked capacity after being hospitalised for the first time. As you said he looked very vacant. I could never film my husband or my parents if they were as poorly as Derek was.

The whole documentary saga reminds me of the benefits programmes that were all the rage ten odd years ago.

I don't think any of the documentaries showed Garraway is a great light, unfortunately there is a section of society who believe that she was doing it to raise awareness of the lack of social care rather than for the self serving reasons she actually did.

Reactions: 23
Shes done it for sympathy and tv attentions. she didn't really do the caring she wanted Derek at home for TV clout which costs a lot of money so had to pay for 24 hour care home. She would have got a rehab bed in care home but refused because it wouldn't look good for the image of doting carer wife. I doubt she changed him , did turns or peg fed him. End of the day she wanted CHC for free to fund his home care no people apart from the very terminally ill (I'm talking cancer) are given CHC for home care.
Everything she did wasn't for Derek and get attention it was so she could profit off him and get attention.
Derek would have been much better off in a bespoke nursing home it would have been cheaper , he would have had his pain managed better and privacy.

She never should have took him to Mexico and I'm aghast that social services safeguarding didn't step in and block on best interests. It's quite clear even on the last documentary he still lacked capacity and had suffered significant brain damage.

His poor body couldn't handle being shuffled to Mexico and he wasn't even allowed to die there he was resuscitated again which shouldn't have been allowed considering his poor condition. Then transported home causing more suffering and pain as he spent a few more days in ICU before he passed.
Shes a selfish wench and an abuser.
This just isn’t true though -
1. You don’t need to be terminally ill
2. It does not do ok diagnosis
3. Cancer isn’t worse than dying or organ failures or other diseases and they do not receive more CHC funding.
---
Im going to use myself and 2 friends all with Children with varying needs to explain my comment above

My friend 1 son - cognitively disabled, can not talk / walk / eat / communicate at all. Is peg fed and has medications via peg and obviously needs everything doing for him.

My friend 2 - daughter who was previously well diagnosed with cancer - on chemo. Is cognitively able and but is obviously fighting cancer and has an nj tube and central line in place which is used to for chemo and bloods.

myself - daughter who is cognitively able and can walk / talk / get her self dressed etc and you wouldn’t know walking past her in the street that anything was wrong, has complex heart disease and intestinal failure. Has a peg for drainage and and IV central line for IV nutrition / IV fluids and daily iv meds.

we live in the same borough

friend 1 - is not entitled to CHC funding however is under social so does have a care package but not CHC - social

friend 2- has no CHC or social care package but has community nurse input once a week for accessing line and blood etc

myself - we have just over 4 k personal budget from CHC ( used to be less ) a year which gives us 40 hours of care hours a week at 17.00 an hour wage.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7
This just isn’t true though -
1. You don’t need to be terminally ill
2. It does not do ok diagnosis
3. Cancer isn’t worse than dying or organ failures or other diseases and they do not receive more CHC funding.
---
Im going to use myself and 2 friends all with Children with varying needs to explain my comment above

My friend 1 son - cognitively disabled, can not talk / walk / eat / communicate at all. Is peg fed and has medications via peg and obviously needs everything doing for him.

My friend 2 - daughter who was previously well diagnosed with cancer - on chemo. Is cognitively able and but is obviously fighting cancer and has an nj tube and central line in place which is used to for chemo and bloods.

myself - daughter who is cognitively able and can walk / talk / get her self dressed etc and you wouldn’t know walking past her in the street that anything was wrong, has complex heart disease and intestinal failure. Has a peg for drainage and and IV central line for IV nutrition / IV fluids and daily iv meds.

we live in the same borough

friend 1 - is not entitled to CHC funding however is under social so does have a care package but not CHC - social

friend 2- has no CHC or social care package but has community nurse input once a week for accessing line and blood etc

myself - we have just over 4 k personal budget from CHC ( used to be less ) a year which gives us 40 hours of care hours a week at 17.00 an hour wage.
CHC is very hard to get because of lack of budgets. Nature, Intensity, Complexity and Unpredictability. District nurses are different under NHS. social care means ADLs , the most common reason I see for CHC funding long term is severe behaviours of concern so when people are aggressive during personal care. So you need planned care. Another one is ventilation which needs monitoring 24 hours a day with skilled staff.
In Very long term progressive illnesses the ICB will try not to pay as slow progressive illness is very expensive. Palliative cancer they will pay as they expect it will be very short term funding if it's too long they will reassess. It sounds awful but literally there's no money.
I think they will bring in some kind of mandatory care insurance as the situation is unsustainable.

Reactions: 7
she deffo didn't have POA for Derek when he was first ill, in England do you have to get it signed of and witnessed by 2 medical professionals. Solicitors etc?

Reactions: 1
she deffo didn't have POA for Derek when he was first ill, in England do you have to get it signed of and witnessed by 2 medical professionals. Solicitors etc?
I've just signed POA for my parents. You can either file it yourself or get a solicitor involved.

To act on POA in my case I'd need to prove via a doctor to the solicitor that my folks haven't got capacity.

My folks in the first instance are POA for each other, if one of them died and couldn't cope then it's down to me, my brother and another relative. We can act on our own or in agreement with each other

Hope that makes sense

Reactions: 6
I've just signed POA for my parents. You can either file it yourself or get a solicitor involved.

To act on POA in my case I'd need to prove via a doctor to the solicitor that my folks haven't got capacity.

My folks in the first instance are POA for each other, if one of them died and couldn't cope then it's down to me, my brother and another relative. We can act on our own or in agreement with each other

Hope that makes sense
hi yes it does, I'm in a different country so I know certain things can be different,

Reactions: 3