Jack Monroe #98 Thoroughly Naff

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm trying to imagine a Scottish/Irish/Greek/Jewish/Ouchy food fest.
Someone would arrive with a whole slaughtered lamb draped around their neck like an elderly great aunt wearing a fox fur stole.
A pit will be dug in the rented garden, lined with blocks from the rented drive (Skip permitting) and a fire set.
Whisky, from the Western Isles, Jack will know which distillery by its very aroma will be thrown in.
The hole will be filled with the contents of the compost bin and wellington boots that tramped the bogs of Ireland for generations.
It will be left for the day to 'cook'.
During this time kosher salt stories will be told.
A fight will break out but it'll all work out ok when someone breaks song and Jack is begged to sing something by Daniel O Donnell.
As it gets dark, Zorba's Dance will be performed around the smoking fire pit, which is fully under control because of Jack and her father's combined years of "Fire Service".
Everyone will declare it the best meal ever.
Kombucha will be drunk.
Now Mazel bleeping Tov.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 46
These are the ingredients listed for caponata on BBC food. Anyone who has ever had caponata knows this is what goes into it:

For the caponata
It's a height-of-summer dish - when you have super ripe tomatoes and aubergines.

Alternatively, use the ingredients above but add a ton of chilli flakes, coconut milk, over-processed bread, brown sugar and balsamic vinegar.
Every time Jack makes an Italian recipe, an Italian mother cries, howls and claws at the floor.

• Haha
Reactions: 47
Why hasn't she got any blood vessels in her eyes, why does she look like a pre pubescent boy?
Looking at the recent photos and taking into account some of her sudden mood swings and ABSOLUTELY making NO JUDGEMENTS whatsoever, I believe may Jack have decided to join her son in going through male puberty.
After all, it seems the poor feller can have nothing to himself.

• Haha
Reactions: 27
Yet it made sense to add coconut milk to a caponata..
My god, you're such a maverick jack, I'm sat her chortling at what you've put in they recipe you little scamp.

(actually after looking at the recipe, and her nails I've got a bit of sick in my mouth)

• Haha
Reactions: 21
Just been reading through the lockdown larder hashtag on Twitter. Do these people now know how Google operates? Seriously though??

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 21
The way she keeps replying "good lighting, moisturiser and portrait mode" is the absolute height of cringe. It's that usual Jack tactic of not directly saying it's been modified, but not completely ruling it out so she can say she never denied it when called out. The thing is, portrait mode is renowned for giving a bloody awful pic because it gives a high definition look at every single pore and hair on your face. She has a filter on that's cancelling out every line on her face and it's devastatingly obvious. Jack, this is so embarrassing!

• Haha
Reactions: 52
Is everyone strapped in and ready for an hour of 'bung them in a curry?'. I know I can't wait.

And filtering myself to duck.

Milk from the milkman too! Not cheap!
88p a pint from a Southend dairy delivery, compared to 80p for 2 pints from Asda.
Her orange is £1.30 a pint compared to 65p per litre from Asda

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 28
20201102_170008.jpg

1) no you didn't bite through your lip.

2) how do you eat your grapes that you bite (through) your bottom lip with a bottom tooth?

• Haha
Reactions: 32
Have visions of Jack crazily gnashing her way through an entire punnet of grapes as she angrily catches up on this thread.

'I'll teach them! My next recipe will be in the form of interpretative dance! Ha!'

• Haha
Reactions: 34
bleeping FANCY!
Not cheap are the Crunchy Nuts!
I don’t like Crunchy Nuts, in fact I don’t like nuts. But I also really wouldn’t like the cooked monstrosity she was serving SB a few weeks so I wouldn’t thank her for either...but I wonder if SB gets to have Crunchy Nuts sometimes (if he likes them of course). I don’t like to think of them being in the Store Cupboard of Dreams and her insisting on making something rank, plonking it on the floor, taking photos and then watch him eat it before insisting he tell her it’s the best breakfast ever

• Sad
  • Haha
Reactions: 14
Remember last month when Jack went out and got dressed up for...something?
I was panicking that it might be the Xmas Good Food magazine....

I have relaxed......I’ve got the Xmas edition and Jack isn’t in it . There is however a section on budget meals, but they didn’t ask Jack.
I can subscribe in peace.

• Haha
Reactions: 44
I'm sure someone more skilled than I am will capture all the hashtag stuff on Twitter. Someone is in for a treat though, he's asked what he can use to replace salt as he's not supposed to have too much of it - use any of Jack's recipes then mate!!

• Haha
Reactions: 17
View attachment 297122

1) no you didn't bite through your lip.

2) how do you eat your grapes that you bite (through) your bottom lip with a bottom tooth?
That'll be the 'invisible' brace thing she has on her teeth to sort that 'snaggle tooth' she's always on about making her self-conscious.
Her teeth are moving about and her bite is changing.
My sister had a brace when we were kids, she bit herself a lot as her teeth shifted about.

Reactions: 11
We've had 9 answers so far, 3 of them are curries.

YURRRRSSSSSSSSS CHICKEN PORRIDGE!

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 32
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.