Jack Monroe #97 Get in the skip

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
In her deleted piece she says “I’ve seen a lot of bleeping fires...”

Was her job as video-call handler?

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 63
They often say that the best revenge is a life well-lived. Unfortunately JM seems to prefer inserting herself into the lived experience of others, rather than enjoying her own. So in that respect, the teachers had her pegged.

Won't amount to anything with such an insane aversion to honesty.

• Haha
Reactions: 30
It’s a job to be proud of on its own merits, the responsibility of being the voice in the phone at possibly the worst time in the caller’s life, combined with the traumatic things they hear is great but it would be a worthwhile job. I think if I was her I’d try to remember that there’s a strong chance she wouldn’t have even got the job if it wasn’t for her dad so ...

Friday Fun Fact - I don’t think the FB will be the same but around 15 years ago I applied to be a call handler with the Police. Got an interview, felt it went well but was then told they couldn’t take me on because I had such poor credit! Didn’t matter that I might have been the best call handler they’d ever had, I was irresponsible with money so that was the end of that!
It’s to do with coercion, police like cabinet office do clearance, they need to know if you can be bribed etc.

• Wow
Reactions: 18
Two things jump out at me here:

1. Howling

2. The roll call of experts she called. “Between US we have decades of service”. Nah, Jack. The scientist, the architect (the baker, the candlestick maker... do these people even bleeping exist?) the firefighters... THEY have experience. I’m not sure why you’re counting yourself among them?

Also, how unwelcome would those phone calls have been? This horrible tragedy unfolding on the news and Jack bloody Monroe blowing up your phone wanting to pontificate about what went wrong. Christ 🤦‍♀️

View attachment 293640
She need not worry as there is a full government investigation. Her role as a call handler was a hugely important one but it doesn't give her the insight to comment on such complex technical and operational failings. Her Dads opinion would be valid with his years of service.

She rides on the coat-tales of success. I'm looking at you Allegra and Louisa.

• Heart
Reactions: 48
Doubtless many of my teachers thought I'd never amount to anything. They may even have told me, but either I wasn't listening or thought that's rich coming from someone who teaches geography on a 2nd rate comprehensive school, then forgot it.

when I got my degree I had no urge to send a copy of my certificate scrawled with '2.1 from a former poly, swivel on this!' to any of them.
I certainly had a few teacher make comments like that to me, I also had a few who took the opposite view and encouraged me to apply myself. The vast majority never expressed any opinion either way. I would have thought this is a pretty standard experience of school -some teachers are decent and some are dysfunctional weirdos who hate children. I only went to a bog standard comprehensive but I must say I'm surprised at teachers in a grammar school putting their students down like that. Anyone I ever knew who went to a selective school described it as pretty much a private school without the fees where you're pushed to achieve as it reflects well on the school and encourages ambitious parents to send their children there. That said I suppose trying to educate Jack would tip anyone over the edge and her teachers can't be entirely blamed for losing the rag.

Reactions: 16
Friday Fun Fact - I don’t think the FB will be the same but around 15 years ago I applied to be a call handler with the Police. Got an interview, felt it went well but was then told they couldn’t take me on because I had such poor credit! Didn’t matter that I might have been the best call handler they’d ever had, I was irresponsible with money so that was the end of that!
Sadly it is still this way now - you're less likely to pass vetting if you have poor credit since you're considered to be at a higher potential risk for being bribed or blackmailed for the sensitive information you might have access to in the job. Just mentioning it to clarify that it is not a judgement on someone's intelligence or ability to do the work or anything like that!

• Wow
Reactions: 28
They often say that the best revenge is a life well-lived. Unfortunately JM seems to prefer inserting herself into the lived experience of others, rather than enjoying her own. So in that respect, the teachers had her pegged.

Won't amount to anything with such an insane aversion to honesty.
Didn't she send a signed copy of one of her slop books to one of her old teachers? Along with a failed attempt at cutting wit?

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 21
It’s not just mackie that constantly monitors us 🥺 the press are referring to 'corbyns vile cabal'
is Vlad signalling us?

• Haha
Reactions: 17
Sourced timeline of Jack's poverty experience. Obviously journalists may make mistakes, but Jack herself wrote that she sold pretty much everything of value before the "yard sale".

Oct 2011: Jack moves into a 2-bedroom flat after ending a relationship (4)

Nov 2011: Jack resigns from fire service

Nov 2011: Jack sells Omega Seamaster watch (1)

Dec 2011: Jack turns off heating (1)

SOME TIME BEFORE JULY 2012:

Jack is unable to move to a cheaper flat as she can't afford a deposit (3)

Jack sells iPhone for a quarter of its original price (1)

Jack unplugs everything (1)

Jack takes lightbulbs out (1)

Jack sells DVDs, netbook, camera, and all belongings except two plates, two bowls, two mugs, two glasses, two forks, two knives and two spoons (1)

Jack sells "Ford Kia" (2) (not actually a car that exists. Also, she can't drive because of autism)

Jul 2012: Jack comes out as poor (3)

Jul 2012: Jack sells guitar and TV (1)

Aug 2012: Jack sells TV again (4)

Aug 2012: Jack has her famous "yard sale" and sells everything including toy dinosaur, piano, two more guitars, Denby and Wedgwood crockery, curtains, clothes, her iPhone again, armchairs, coffee table and bathroom storage units (4). She earns 3k, then moves to a cheaper house share (3)

Dec 2012: Jack is living on a tenner a week and will be spending Christmas with her parents (2)

Feb 2013: Jack starts writing for the Southend Echo (5)

May 2013: Jack wins a prize from Fortnum & Mason (5)

Jan 2014: Poverty over? Jack works for Sainsburys, signs book deal, goes to Tanzania, etc (3)

Jan 2014: Jack moves to a new flat (3)

SOURCES:
1 https://web.archive.org/web/20130201235747/http://agirlcalledjack.com/2012/07/30/hunger-hurts/

2 https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/young-mum-turns-off-heating-so-she-can-1502710.amp

3 https://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/15/...-has-become-britains-austerity-celebrity.html

4 https://web.archive.org/web/2013020...oyed-mum-sells-off-belongings-essex-enquirer/

5 https://www.theguardian.com/society/2013/jul/23/jack-monroe-face-modern-poverty
This is fab, thank you! Has this been added to the wiki?

Skipping through - think there’s a huge difference between stalking parents & simply referring to source material they put out there that refers to a very comfortable upbringing for Jack that she denies, preferring to co opt a WC identity thus depriving actual WC women the opportunities she gets given? I don’t want her dad’s tax code but I’d like her to stop thieving media jobs from under represented communities 🤷🏻‍♀️

Reactions: 28
  • Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 37
This is fab, thank you! Has this been added to the wiki?

Skipping through - think there’s a huge difference between stalking parents & simply referring to source material they put out there that refers to a very comfortable upbringing for Jack that she denies, preferring to co opt a WC identity thus depriving actual WC women the opportunities she gets given? I don’t want her dad’s tax code but I’d like her to stop thieving media jobs from under represented communities 🤷🏻‍♀️
I'll add it to the wiki later! I find it a bit mad that the first thing she apparently did was turn the heating off, before selling stuff, especially with a (young) baby...

Some discrepancies may seem like we're being obsessive, but if she claimed to be typing out Hunger Hurts on a Nokia because she'd sold her iPhone, and then a month later claimed to be selling her iPhone in the yard sale...like, it just doesn't add up, eh?

• Heart
Reactions: 39
In her deleted piece she says “I’ve seen a lot of bleeping fires...”

Was her job as video-call handler?
maybe rather than have the skip removed she drops a match, maybe that’s why it’s there permanently? 🔥

• Haha
Reactions: 9
Sadly it is still this way now - you're less likely to pass vetting if you have poor credit since you're considered to be at a higher potential risk for being bribed or blackmailed for the sensitive information you might have access to in the job. Just mentioning it to clarify that it is not a judgement on someone's intelligence or ability to do the work or anything like that!
Ah that makes sense! Thanks @hydeist, I just assumed they thought it was irresponsible to get in the mess I was in!

• Heart
Reactions: 18
phew, i was getting worried that we'd not seen cooper yet today. i am very pleased he has shown up now. 😃

• Haha
Reactions: 19
Screenshotting a few select comments that go along with your narrative is so Jack Monroe.
Anyone who has actually read the F&D threads will know it’s not just a group venting about here 🙄

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 38
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.