Jack Monroe #97 Get in the skip

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm interested in this too - as her books are how she earns a living. She had a 2-book deal, which expired with the last one. Then, after her Edinburgh trip, she manically tweeted her agent (literary agent) that she had an "idea". My personal view is that she hasn't been given an advance - her agent might have asked her to write a synopsis and pitch it as a possibility. And in Jack's mind that turns into writing her latest opus.

The margins on books now are not what they were. A lot of people bought Jack's first book. All the others have sold less and less. Someone posted an article that said something like 75% of her entire books sales were just for the first one. So it's a downward path. If she is trying to write a poverty memoir it will be a mess - she'll quote Guardian articles and statistics out of context, she'll exaggerate her own personal story, etc. Why would a publisher go near her?
She claims to have signed contracts for two books: the political one and another cookbook.

(Both contracts were signed after coronavirus started, for anyone keeping track of her "lost earnings")

• Haha
Reactions: 28
“Old fire service” nickname. I’ve every respect for call handlers but why does she always insinuate she was an actual fire fighter. And didn’t she only work for the fire service for a couple of years anyway?

• Haha
Reactions: 31
Further looking back through Jacks IG (look, I have a baby who’s not sleeping and I don’t know what else to do with my late nights right now so duck off) and she seems to only a few years ago be on quite good terms with the brother from Potatoes, no?

My god it’s exhausting how obsessed she is with her proving teachers wrong narrative, though I love that she hasn’t forgotten to shoehorn herself into someone else’s success. 😆

1A354B83-D14B-4142-A718-140556EB1336.jpeg

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 44
Morning Fraus! I killed off StinkyMinky, as I’ve been begging for a name change for yonks, with no success. Excited about tonight’s full moon chaos!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 45
She does such a disservice to call handlers, like their job is also important and can involve a lot of trauma. Why doesn’t she challenge the assumption that emergency service call handlers have the same experience as a secretary in a beauty salon? She can seemingly never think beyond common beliefs which is odd for someone who had this job and knows it involves a lot of emotional labour

One of my best friends is a student nurse. Outside of her uni hours, she works at the hospital as a healthcare assistant. It annoys me when people talk about someone being “just a HCA” as I know how intense the job is and the sort of horrific things she’s had to deal with. Why can’t Jack advocate for the undervalued professions rather than pretend she was prising people from car wrecks?
Exactly this! Being a call handler is no joke, I know I couldn’t do it. I don’t know why she has to apply her super power of lying by omission to absolutely everything. Why can’t she stop pretending that she was a firefighter, and instead talk about the really quite intense and worthwhile job she actually did??

Reactions: 32
oh god that insufferable bollocks about teachers yet again, cba to even discuss but very clearly two children from an upper MC home with “pillar of the community” MBE parents weren’t being told they’d amount to nothing. The fact he’s a literal officer shows you that?

Her publishing CV is lols, I’ve received some utter shite in my time but I’d be speechless if a candidate submitted THIS

9F49F153-EB30-4C54-9E28-B5D6C81BBD1E.jpeg

________________________________________________________________________________
staff edit to include new thread;

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 36
Exactly this! Being a call handler is no joke, I know I couldn’t do it. I don’t know why she has to apply her super power of lying by omission to absolutely everything. Why can’t she stop pretending that she was a firefighter, and instead talk about the really quite intense and worthwhile job she actually did??
Wait wait wait woah woah woah

she wasn’t like an actual fireman Sam?? I totally thought she was!! From her talking about it!!
Note: key worker speaking, call handler jobs are just as important than any other role, but sorry, she lies by omission to give the impression she was in a nee naw.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 57
oh god that insufferable bollocks about teachers yet again, cba to even discuss but very clearly two children from an upper MC home with “pillar of the community” MBE parents weren’t being told they’d amount to nothing. The fact he’s a literal officer shows you that?

Her publishing CV is lols, I’ve received some utter shite in my time but I’d be speechless if a candidate submitted THIS

View attachment 293426
I knew she had resigned in 2011, but not as late as November! She was writing for the Guardian in July 2013.

So if we remember her freezing, unheated home that gave her arthritis...either she had no money whatsoever at the time she resigned, or that was one winter.

Her poverty timeline is very confusing. In Hunger Hurts she had already sold her Omega and was unscrewing lightbulbs, but in other articles she only had her "yard sale" after coming out as poor in Hunger Hurts?

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 39

View attachment 293426

________________________________________________________________________________
"Odd jobs"... what a bleeping awful and demeaning phrase used to describe the careers of a large bulk of our population, without which, society would not function. Did she sign this off? It's major Tory vibes tbh.

• Heart
Reactions: 42

View attachment 293426

What a load of crap, surely it should showcase what she CAN do rather than what happened a decade or more before, why the need to dwell on the back story (yet again)... Apart from her obvious lack of talent this could be another hinderance to finding work

Reactions: 19
Yep, and she says she sold everything but one plate and a couple of knives and forks; but then says she had a curry night for friends every week. Dread to think what they ate from, and how they managed without lightbulbs.
Not sure at what point she moved out of her flat, and into the house share where she slept on the floor, or the twenty subsequent dwellings.

• Haha
Reactions: 33
Further looking back through Jacks IG (look, I have a baby who’s not sleeping and I don’t know what else to do with my late nights right now so duck off) and she seems to only a few years ago be on quite good terms with the brother from Potatoes, no?

My god it’s exhausting how obsessed she is with her proving teachers wrong narrative, though I love that she hasn’t forgotten to shoehorn herself into someone else’s success. 😆

View attachment 293417
Is that Papa? Because he's wearing a Royal Artillery regimental tie & blazer badge combo.... I thought he was Para?🤔

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 26
I maybe thought 7 RHA but no wings to be seen on his attire 👀👀
Can’t actually tell, sorry. Family was all in the British forces but immigrated just before I was born. Can tell you all about Australian Infantry uniforms though! 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 12
Please tell me that's not pen! Please tell me that's not pen!
Oh good God no, I wouldn't do that to dear heart Mom❤ (or any book for that matter..well, apart from *you know who* & then it would be the obligatory cock & balls).

This was spotted on the BBC Good Food FB page, where there has been several recent mentions of St. Cack of the grift.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 36
Can’t actually tell, sorry. Family was all in the British forces but immigrated just before I was born. Can tell you all about Australian Infantry uniforms though! 😂
It's ok, I'm familiar with what to look for ... And it's not there 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.