Jack Monroe #95 The only poverty she works to eradicate is her own

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
That’s what annoys me about the “you shouldn’t have kids if you can’t afford them” mantra - do they honestly think life can’t change in a heartbeat? I was pregnant when my husband became disabled and we didn’t know if he would get back to work. And if this year has taught us anything, it’s that something can come out of nowhere and change your circumstances even if you had the most stable of homes.

And another thing that this year has taught me is that even when something awful is going on in the world, or your circumstances have changed or your just having a rubbish day, a Jack Monroe face change gif courtesy of Alan’s will make you HOOT!
I totally agree and I hope things are ok with you now. x

Personally I do have some “you shouldn’t have kids if you can’t afford them” feelings towards people in Jack’s situation but not people like yourself. I think because my timeline and Jack’s are the same in many ways. I remember desperately wanting a baby in my early 20s, but I held off wanting to make sure I could give them the best life possible.

Now I’m 32 (which isn’t too old to have a kid, though you wouldn’t think that from the way Jack bangs on about probably not ever having another). I’ve had to make some painful choices at times always thinking about that theoretical future kid’s welfare. I grew up with very young and very poor parents so I didn’t want that for my kids. There are times where I worry maybe the best years to have one passed me by already. So yeah, speaking as someone in my position there is an element of that feeling of annoyance at someone like Jack for this. Like ok so we were sensible and made sacrifices but you could just do what you want and then act the victim never thinking about the kid.

This feeling of annoyance does not all apply to every person who is poor and has kids, just people like Jack who are irresponsible and nasty.

• Heart
Reactions: 31
I’d like to think she looks at my avatar and thinks “what the duck is that bowl of slo- oh it’s one of mine”

• Haha
Reactions: 44
Can we start a counter for every time Jack refers to herself as small or tiny

"the night before we’re due to meet, I can’t reach her by email to confirm our meeting spot, and when I check her Twitter feed, all hell is breaking loose. It’s a few days after Brexit and she’s lashing out at this and shooting flames at that. It’s the night of Jeremy Corbyn’s rally in Parliament Square and she is leading the charge against him; fighty and combative and taking on allcomers, telling the world she’s “an absolutely devastated frustrated furious howling wreck”. And then: “My God I’m starting to worry I’ve forgotten how to actually sleep.”
Does no one ever think to question Jack about this frankly bizarre behaviour? Probably everyone who takes an interest in politics gets angry or feels emotional about issues that matter to them but working yourself into such a state that you reduce yourself to the state of an unhinged animal or a “an absolutely devastated frustrated furious howling wreck” in Jack parlance is not normal behaviour by any standard. I mean could you imagine watching Question Time or Newsnight and a politician saying "The actions of this government have reduced me to a devastated, furious howling wreck" and everyone acting like it's normal. Who does she hope to convince with this hysteria? Does she imagine the Tories will start being nicer so as not to upset her?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 43
You know when Ant & Dec go undercover to catch someone out? How great would it be if they caught JM in her web of lies?

One can dream.

• Haha
Reactions: 30
Can we start a counter for every time Jack refers to herself as small or tiny

"the night before we’re due to meet, I can’t reach her by email to confirm our meeting spot, and when I check her Twitter feed, all hell is breaking loose. It’s a few days after Brexit and she’s lashing out at this and shooting flames at that. It’s the night of Jeremy Corbyn’s rally in Parliament Square and she is leading the charge against him; fighty and combative and taking on allcomers, telling the world she’s “an absolutely devastated frustrated furious howling wreck”. And then: “My God I’m starting to worry I’ve forgotten how to actually sleep.”
“an absolutely devastated frustrated furious howling wreck”.

Hyperbole or what 🥴 Why does she write such over dramatic bollocks.

• Haha
Reactions: 28
She can't decide if she wants to be tiny, fragile and weak, having to be helped up off floors and what not

Or a bleeping bodybuilding pescatarian (bleeping Catalina wine mixer!!!) carrying a Cotswold sideboard under each arm with her 60kg whoopsie stickered produce on her back and a bleeping cast iron mango thingermajig between each toe

Exhausting

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 76
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.