Jack Monroe #81 It’s like 10,000 spoons when all you need is a wife

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
We got a seasonal cook book when we got married in 1988
My mother-in-law gave this to my husband 4 years before we married in 1978. It has travelled around the world with us. The inserts on roasting, boning, etc have been invaluable and it has pride of place in the kitchen bookcase even though we don't cook from it very often.

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Fraus, I took one for the team and listened to her interview on the Talking Tastebuds podcast from earlier this year (I was making parmentier potatoes - FANCY - so needed something to fill the time).

It's a real treat. Her antipathy towards the American food waste advocate they have on the panel alongside her gives me very 'Happy Mum, Happy Baby' teas and she also accuses Allegra of always being angry in a segment that gets precisely zero laughs from the audience.
Omg I can hear her enlarged adenoids pulsating through my laptop

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 33
My mother-in-law gave this to my husband 4 years before we married in 1978. It has travelled around the world with us. The inserts on roasting, boning, etc have been invaluable and it has pride of place in the kitchen bookcase even though we don't cook from it very often.
I saw this lovely review on Amazon: If you love cooking, but are afraid to cook then look no further than this book. I bought this fabulous book 40 years back and through a terrible divorce I lost it. I bought it a few weeks back and Oh My God, what a really lovely and brilliant cookery book it is. Forget all you have been told about Microwave cooking. This is the real deal. Prepare your food and get that oven on. Then wait for that lovely meal to come out of that oven and taste it as it should really taste. Forget all the TV cooks who don't know what the hell they are talking about. Really read this book and enjoy your real cooking. It all comes down to trial and error. That's how those TV cooks got their experience. Then got too big and failed. Home cooking is the way to go. Learn how to prepare any foods and / veg. A microwave does also help but is not essential. PC. 14. 10. 2019. PS. My Reviews are real and NOT fake. Good Luck.
I've just had a look at our copy and it's the second revised edition 1975. Utterly brilliant book. Contains chapters on buying for quality , 12 months of recipes, basic cooking methods, wine, equipping a kitchen, freezing. I learnt a lot from it.

Reactions: 16
We got a seasonal cook book when we got married in 1988
She actually said the words “when I released a cookbook with recipes for seasonal eating, no one else was doing it!”. All 3 of them to be fair were talking about how seasonal eating had all of a sudden become trendy. But Jack in particular was incredulous that she was doing it ‘before everyone else’ and everyone ignored her at the time.

I used to think it was the Jamie Oliver nonsense that was the turning point for me but thinking about it it may have been this.

How on earth does some Relatively small not particularly inspiring, early 30s food blogger think they’ve invented everything?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 38
Is she going to add "Taking terrifying upside down selfies" to her ever-expanding list of sleeping aids that's she's TRIED and that DON'T bleeping WORK, thankyou?

• Haha
Reactions: 40
She must have Mrs J the 4th?..5th? on the hook.
Twitter silence and then half naked selfies from bed? 😬😬😬

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 36
I'm reading Allegra's book at the moment (It was reduced on the Kindle) and she uses similar language.
I also haven't come across a single recipe I want to make.
I’ve always found Allegra’s really into offally meat etc that I don’t really like.

Also, not seen this mentioned before, but sorry if it has. Isn’t it weird that their split was timed with Jack’s abandoned transition and Veganism?

Jack changing gender to a man, and deciding to go full, very vocal vegan lamenting the errors of her disgusting meat eating ways when she was in a relationship with a woman who appears to have a strong preference for both women and meat.

This combined with the things Jack’s said about Allegra (angry, always correcting her) it almost seems like both of those extreme choices that were dropped almost as quickly as they were adopted were an act of spiteful defiance to get her out of the relationship.

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 45
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.