Jack Monroe #79 Big mistake. Big. HUGE.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I love a yellow sticker bargain but there are certain things I draw the line at. 1. bagged salad 2. bagged stir fry veg 3. most bread / bakery items (honourable exceptions are things like ciabatta and, yes, bagels, which can be immediately frozen). The first 2 go slimy and disgusting and are basically not fit for use when they've reached their due date, and I can't bear stale bread / donuts, for all the saving you're making it's better just to buy full price if you're able to.

ETA completely off-topic but this made me laugh a lot this morning -
View attachment 257711
Babe, same. Plus those bagged mixed veg aren't really great value anyway, as you need to use them up quickly. You're better off just buying one type of cabbage, which, if stored correctly, will last a while. Ditto carrots. And frozen sweetcorn is cheap and there'll be no waste at all.

I've said it before, as have many others, her weird parameters of only shopping at Asda (for her poor followers, and Ocado for herself) is ridiculous. She'd be much better off talking about different scenarios. If you have access to them, markets and Indian or Chinese shops can really help you keep to a tight budget. In other areas there may be allotment sales, local veg boxes (no, not all are organic and expensive) and many people live near Aldi, Lidl or Iceland. What about those living in complete food deserts? How can they make their money last? Perhaps sharing a delivery with a neighbour makes sense for some. Perhaps growing some food works for others.

But of course, our Jackie knows what poor people are like and what they can and can't do, because they are all the same.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 40
Babe, same. Plus those bagged mixed veg aren't really great value anyway, as you need to use them up quickly. You're better off just buying one type of cabbage, which, if stored correctly, will last a while. Ditto carrots. And frozen sweetcorn is cheap and there'll be no waste at all.

I've said it before, as have many others, her weird parameters of only shopping at Asda (for her poor followers, and Ocado for herself) is ridiculous. She'd be much better off talking about different scenarios. If you have access to them, markets and Indian or Chinese shops can really help you keep to a tight budget. In other areas there may be allotment sales, local veg boxes (no, not all are organic and expensive) and many people live near Aldi, Lidl or Iceland. What about those living in complete food deserts? How can they make their money last? Perhaps sharing a delivery with a neighbour makes sense for some. Perhaps growing some food works for others.

But of course, our Jackie knows what poor people are like and what they can and can't do, because they are all the same.
Exactly. It's another example of how little she likes food: she only goes to the supermarket. Buying spices from Asian grocers is just good sense; so is going to the market. If you only need a small amount of meat, it can be more affordable to go to the butcher. She is food-illiterate.

• Heart
Reactions: 28
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

View attachment 257595

View attachment 257596

@Cuileann Feel you with how annoying her random capitalisation of words is! They aren't nouns, Jack!
Sorry if this has been said but that last tweet annoyed the duck out of me. Does she just love adding to the anxiety of already anxious people? Alcoholics do not need to think that quitting means ‘long nights wide awake fretting about literally everything’. What a dangerous message.

For any alcoholics among us: recovery often means you are finally able to sleep again, having developed healthier ways to deal with anxiety. It doesn’t just mean fewer headaches.

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 73
Doing the Grunka of all Grunkas at the moment, but wanted to ask - does anyone know why it’s called ‘moonshine’ mash?

• Haha
Reactions: 17
Eh?! I assumed it was because NigellaMum calls her ‘riff’ oh sunblush tomatoes ‘Moonblush’... I’m clearly no Miss Marple!
It is not your lack of deduction, my dear. It’s her awful writing and maverick irreverence, innit.

• Haha
Reactions: 26
Okay, just went shopping and spent £31 and that's for three people at home. I will need to do a top up shop. It can't be done on £20 with no top up shopping, especially when you have a growing child in the house.

I've bought a whole chicken for £3.30 on special offer and will get three meals from that.

A bag of baking potatoes.
A tin of tuna
Tins of own brand sweetcorn
That's tuna /sweetcorn mayo jackets one night (we already have the mayo).

A tin of baked beans ...hubby and DS ...I'm not so keen on baked beans
Some bacon on special offer
Eggs

Egg, bacon and fried potatoes with beans one evening.

Pasta ...pasta bake of some kind.

That's five meals off the top of my head and no slop anywhere.

Fruit..various
Milk
Etc

I anticipate the need to top up for bread and milk at the very least .

Meanwhile Jack will release a "I can feed my family on £20 a week" book. Even though there's just herself and SB for much of the week and sometimes it's just herself.

• Heart
Reactions: 37
Okay, just went shopping and spent £31 and that's for three people at home. I will need to do a top up shop. It can't be done on £20 with no top up shopping, especially when you have a growing child in the house.

I've bought a whole chicken for £3.30 on special offer and will get three meals from that.

A bag of baking potatoes.
A tin of tuna
Tins of own brand sweetcorn
That's tuna /sweetcorn mayo jackets one night (we already have the mayo).

A tin of baked beans ...hubby and DS ...I'm not so keen on baked beans
Some bacon on special offer
Eggs

Egg, bacon and fried potatoes with beans one evening.

Pasta ...pasta bake of some kind.

That's five meals off the top of my head and no slop anywhere.

Fruit..various
Milk
Etc

I anticipate the need to top up for bread and milk at the very least .

Meanwhile Jack will release a "I can feed my family on £20 a week" book. Even though there's just herself and SB for much of the week and sometimes it's just herself.
You've just reminded me of a comment I saw on this recipe, expressing sentiments that we fraus are echoing six years on:

Screen Shot 2020-09-28 at 05.04.16.png

Although by now I don't think many of us would still say 'I know Jack means well'.

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 88
Exactly. It's another example of how little she likes food: she only goes to the supermarket. Buying spices from Asian grocers is just good sense; so is going to the market. If you only need a small amount of meat, it can be more affordable to go to the butcher. She is food-illiterate.
Loads of people in her mentions (on facebook and twitter) have been telling her about the Too Good To Go etc apps - you know, the ones which alert you to the deals from local supermarkets / shops / restaurants at the end of the day, where you can pick up a box of wonky veg etc for, like £3 or whatever. I wonder why she hasn't mentioned them yet.
Re shopping lists - I've been writing more now I can't pop to the shops as much as I used to pre-lockdown, and planning more. I'm a single person household so I can't really compare (plus I have a rather stocked 'larder' and freezer) but there are certain things I need to buy every week or so, so that the top items on my list remain constant: Milk, bread, cheese, eggs, loo roll, fresh veg. The veg I get dictates what I make that week. I don't know what my point is here, other than to say I don't know why she has to make literally everything so complicated.

Last edited:
Anyone else wondering what the huge, HUGE photo shoot is going to be?

• Haha
  • Wow
Not sure if my lovely haus frau brigade will remember little old moi.

But I am very much still in the coven.
Just BUSY (now duck off etc etc)

I saw these rolls today and thought of you all.
IMG_20200928_102407.jpg
Stood laughing to myself in the bread aisle.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 79
What's she doing for loo roll, washing powder, washing up liquid, toothpaste, soap?

Where do these fit in to her "£20 a week shop"?

• Heart
Reactions: 45
Some weeks shopping is cheaper for me than others depending on their offers. As a family we tend to buy mostly the same sort of basic stuff with a few random treats thrown in( but they are few)

I tend to keep within a budget I have set. She needs to work out her budgeting better in my opinion. When she gets paid she should deduct her bills and see what she has left and what she can realistically afford to spend on a reasonable shop. Anything after that she can put away for clothes and cotwolds.

• Haha
Reactions: 18
You've just reminded me of a comment I saw on this recipe, expressing sentiments that we fraus are echoing six years on:

View attachment 257747

Although by now I don't think many of us would still say 'I know Jack means well'.
That is the whole basis of my dislike of Mx Monroe. Her example of how to live off £20 a week is impossible when you look closely, but gives credence to those that think benefits are too generous.

All her other nonsense is just that, annoying nonsense.

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 49
P. S I think this is actually the 2nd time I've posted a picture of the fancy rolls to the cabal.
I clearly am no Pocahontas when it comes to my content.
However fear not my loves if I get banned from the corner shop for laughing with the baked goods I will blame it entirely on THAT WOMAN !!!!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 27
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.