Jack Monroe #79 Big mistake. Big. HUGE.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Sorry if this has been said but that last tweet annoyed the duck out of me. Does she just love adding to the anxiety of already anxious people? Alcoholics do not need to think that quitting means ‘long nights wide awake fretting about literally everything’. What a dangerous message.

For any alcoholics among us: recovery often means you are finally able to sleep again, having developed healthier ways to deal with anxiety. It doesn’t just mean fewer headaches.

Accept the things I cannot change...biggest life lesson I ever learned. Not always easy...but I get there in the end (once I’ve removed the self-imposed obstacles)

• Heart
Reactions: 36
P. S I think this is actually the 2nd time I've posted a picture of the fancy rolls to the cabal.
I clearly am no Pocahontas when it comes to my content.
However fear not my loves if I get banned from the corner shop for laughing with the baked goods I will blame it entirely on THAT WOMAN !!!!
Come, come - I have never come across fancy rolls out in the wild. I love it that your corner shop potentially has you pegged as the sort who comes in and laughs at the baked goods. Keep it up!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 31
Come, come - I have never come across fancy rolls out in the wild. I love it that your corner shop potentially has you pegged as the sort who comes in and laughs at the baked goods. Keep it up!

Makes me wonder what the shop staff think of Jack when she marches in donned in Burberry then commandeers the reduced fridge !

• Haha
Reactions: 25
I looked through £20 shop and was genuinely bewildered and not a little concerned at what she was feeding to her son and encouraging others struggling financially to eat. I'm vegan and skint and I'd never waste money buying, say, tinned beans. Why not buy dried beans, cook them yourself and spend the money you've saved on decent noodles, rather than the cheapest tit Asda can offer? Why buy that jar of sauce and the packet sauces, when you could make something with far more goodness in yourself? Why buy biscuits? Make your own. And so it goes on. Just because people are poor doesn't mean they're bleeping idiots or deserve to eat tit. Cooking beans, making sauces, baking biscuits... even if you can barely cook, these things are not difficult

• Heart
Reactions: 43
20200928_120249.jpg
20200928_120322.jpg

Pictures from Beyond Baked Beans Budget by Fiona Beckett. There were three books in the BBB series of student cookbooks, and I still have them now (I graduated in 2011). As you can see, she goes into a lot of detail (4 pages) about where to shop for what, and provides logical meal plans and recipes - for example, there's a bit on stretching a chicken over 5 days, or a pack of mince over 4. There's also a recipe for sweet and sour sauce that doesn't involve opening a jar.

These are really great books for anyone on a budget and/or new to cooking, and Beyond Baked Beans Green is all vegetarian and has a lot of vegan recipes too (not 90%). No pictures, but simple, clear recipes that have clearly been tried and tested. Seriously, look for them on Amazon if you want to help any students or similar become confident cooks.

Having said all that, Fiona Beckett led me to discover Jack, thanks to a blog post back in the day...oh well, nobody's perfect.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 37
Does anyone know when fancy started to be used as an adjective over here because it’s definitely very American?

Last edited:
Reactions: 12
I see that some of the food items have been in the smeg so long that they too have developed sentience, and joined a forum.

Ok, fess up, which one of you is actually the pistachio milk?
I’m the E. coli salad bags. I am currently experiencing all-pervading self hatred and an overwhelming sense of doom.

• Haha
Reactions: 41
Must be a new deal advertising the Asdas

3A691556-2FEC-42CE-B9B8-4116CFD1258B.jpeg

ETA she’s wearing her mask cos of the new rules for retail workers obvs

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 92
I looked through £20 shop and was genuinely bewildered and not a little concerned at what she was feeding to her son and encouraging others struggling financially to eat. I'm vegan and skint and I'd never waste money buying, say, tinned beans. Why not buy dried beans, cook them yourself and spend the money you've saved on decent noodles, rather than the cheapest tit Asda can offer? Why buy that jar of sauce and the packet sauces, when you could make something with far more goodness in yourself? Why buy biscuits? Make your own. And so it goes on. Just because people are poor doesn't mean they're bleeping idiots or deserve to eat tit. Cooking beans, making sauces, baking biscuits... even if you can barely cook, these things are not difficult
I had a joke with my sister the other day. My kids love to bake and I said if they want biscuits they have to make their own as rarely buy them. To be honest my kids love their own biscuits so are happy to make a batch whilst I look on.

Apologies seemed to have quoted myself too, how embarrassing 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 18
@Alansbigplate I'm HOWLING at that pic 😂

Her "I can only shop at Asda as it's near, OK" bollocks is driving me insane. If she can make weekly trips to Wilko carrying paint she could at least make a trip to a local greengrocer (didn't last week she promise us she would?). Also not everyone has the time to go scavenging the yellow ticket aisle on a Sunday afternoon. She's child free during this time, so has that luxury. She isn't tied to taking 3 screaming kids with her, or doing a shift at work or getting everything ready for a busy week ahead.

• Heart
Reactions: 38
Does that weirdo Stuart still drool all over Jack on Twitter or has he been blocked?

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.