Jack Monroe #79 Big mistake. Big. HUGE.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Still a very new follower of Jack so I’m sure this has been covered but.......Why on earth does she write everything as if she’s Enid Blyton?
That style of writing is ok if you are in fact Enid Blyton. She writes about her daily life as though she is a character in a novel set in the 1800’s. Everything so floral and elaborately described. I imagine her imagining herself padding down the hallway at night with her slippers on. A glorious and hearty midnight feast of tinned sardines, tinned peaches, thick slices of ham and lashings of ginger beer accompanying her. Grinning mischievously at her ruddy cheeked companions - oh what bricks they all are! Not a negative nelly as far as the eye can see. Hoping that swarthy matron doesn’t scupper their well thought plans....
She’s exhausting.
I find it particularly jarring when you watch an interview with her, because she has such a flat monotone, and is quite inarticulate when unscripted. It's really hard to reconcile Twitter Jack with Real Life Jack.

Reactions: 22
This was exactly it Poca, let’s make love

Alan: Right, let battle commence! [Slightly muffled] Do you like me doing that? Shall I do it more quickly or shall I maintain the same speed?

Pocahontas: That’s fine.

Alan: Right. Shall I move on to the other one? Oh, that’s lovely. That’s first class. That is superb. Ooh, there you go, it’s all happening! Poca, I’m afraid I have no sheathes.

Jill: No what?

Pocahontas: Sheathes, er, prophylactics, you know, rubber johnnies. Actually, being your age and everything there’s probably no need for them. I’m talking about the menopau – whoooo! Poca, you know your onions! Do you mind if I talk? It helps me keep the… wolf from the door, so to speak. Poca, what do you think about the pedestrianisation of Norwich town centre? I’ll be honest I’m dead against it. People forget that [increasingly breathless] traders need access to Dixons! [Regaining himself] They do say it’ll help people in [half-sighing] wheeeeelchairs…

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 45
Still a very new follower of Jack so I’m sure this has been covered but.......Why on earth does she write everything as if she’s Enid Blyton?
That style of writing is ok if you are in fact Enid Blyton. She writes about her daily life as though she is a character in a novel set in the 1800’s. Everything so floral and elaborately described. I imagine her imagining herself padding down the hallway at night with her slippers on. A glorious and hearty midnight feast of tinned sardines, tinned peaches, thick slices of ham and lashings of ginger beer accompanying her. Grinning mischievously at her ruddy cheeked companions - oh what bricks they all are! Not a negative nelly as far as the eye can see. Hoping that swarthy matron doesn’t scupper their well thought plans....
She’s exhausting.
This is perfect 😂

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 20
Thread title suggestion 1: Bin bags are bloody expensive and all; send me a dog

Thread title suggestion 2: A whole thread of raw gut spilling tedium

• Haha
Reactions: 21
Now I'm wondering is Jack winding Louisa up, or is Louisa winding Jack up? 20 years is an incredibly long time to wait to get another dog.
I'm beginning to think they are actually more similar than we've given them credit for. Dare I say, made for eachother?
I waited 22 years to get another cat. I say "get" - both cats arrived and moved themselves in 27 years apart. The first was from a gorgeous litter of kittens that were born to a stray in the neighbourhood, that my I pestered my mother to let in when I was 12. The second is purring on my lap now - she appeared in the garden of a house I was renting 5 years ago, and she was determined to move in, leaving dead rodents outside the back door as rent while I looked for her owners. (I quickly learned not to go outside barefoot.) No one claimed her, which made me sad because she is a lovely friend, so I took her in, even though it was against the lease, because I knew I would have my own house soon. In the years between 18 and 40, I didn't have a home for a pet, much as I would have liked one. Maybe Louisa is the same. I know she has a lot more money than I do, but even if you can afford good kennels and dog-walkers if you are away a lot, a pet is part of the household and it isn't fair to be leaving them and changing their environment too much. Jack has absolutely no shame if she is thinking of getting a dog to live in her chaos.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Agree. I can actually really relate to Jack's multi-track mind, inability to complete anything and procrastination because I see a lot of it in myself as I'm on adult ADHD diagnosis waiting list

Its something I've always struggled with and strict discipline is this only thing thats got my through school, uni and work. It's really bleeping hard but I make it work. And it comes at a cost of completing other stuff jn my life as all my energy is on that if that makes sense. It was only when a Dr suggested ADHD last year that things clicked. But it particularly makes me clench my teeth when I see Jack behaving in a way I would*** (its on the to do list) if I let it go unchecked - and I have no access to meds or resources at present due to the long waiting list I'm on. I know we use this thread to call her out on tit but nothing would make me happier if she sorted her head out and was able to start getting tit done as I know how crappy procrastination can make you feel as a person and how hard it can be to tick off a basic to do list. But she does have access to meds and support for it (judging from her tweets) which is what is frustrating.

*** Please note this is where our similarities end. I like solid food.
Thank you, this is actually very helpful to see ❤ It's something I wonder about more and more as though I never struggled in a classroom/social situation, outside of that when it comes to organisation, timekeeping, sticking to a plan and getting anything done unless I'm working to someone else's schedule - smouldering disaster well into adulthood. I can't tell how much is simple rubbishness inherent to me and how much could possibly be something else.

I really take my hat off to you for your discipline, and I agree that it's really hard to see someone not helping themselves when they have the resources - almost as hard as watching myself when I get into the pit 😂

Still Grunkaing so someone may have already recommended this but I follow The Organised Mum Method (TOMM). A friend recommended her so I looked up her website and then downloaded the app which has a helpful checklist, but you can just print them off the website. You do a different room each day, along with a few basics such as putting a wash on, clearing the main floor area. You do as many jobs as you can in that room for 30 minutes and anything you didn’t finish you can do the next day or save it for that room the next week. I’m not always on it but when I am I find it really helpful to get me motivated. I hate cleaning and this helps me feel like it’s not a mammoth task.
Speaking tangentially of which, this sounds excellent!!

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Isn't this illegal now?
It was found to be unlawfully discrimination and so it shouldn’t be happening but there is no independent force to monitor it. It will depend on individuals taking cases if prevented from renting a house. Sadly I think a lot of landlords and agents will risk it and keep saying no DSS (which on a separate note always annoys me as it hasn’t been the DSS for years).

• Heart
Reactions: 23
I would *love* to have a dog but aside from the financial implications, I have numerous health conditions which mean I simply couldn't guarantee I would be able to look after a dog/walk it regularly. Mr IW is not interested in getting one so I would need to be certain I could manage it regardless of if Mr IW started to love the dog too..

(I appreciate a well person could get a dog and then suddenly find themselves unable to care for it. But I know from the outset that I wouldn't be able to manage..)

Ugh. She rinses my beans 😡😡
Similar boat here, grew up with dogs and would do anything to have another. I regularly browse the dogs Trust website looking at them all. But I don't have the money, don't have the space, don't have the security of owning my own home (if I had to rent another place, would I be able to find a dog friendly house?) and work full time. It wouldn't be fair on the poor pup. You can want an awful lot in life and still recognise that a) you're not in the right place for it and b) it's not just you who'll be affected if you get a pet and then a month later can't cope/can't give it the life it deserves

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 22
She's now asking Spanish folk whether using orzo in a rice dish would be seen as sacrilegious. Wtf when has she ever given a tit about the authenticity of a dish? Literally EVERYTHING is interchangeable 🥴

• Haha
Reactions: 42
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.