Jack Monroe #79 Big mistake. Big. HUGE.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The worst part about those photos (other than the fact she used a self timer) is that they’re obviously aimed at someone, some new Mrs J in waiting she’s trying to subtly flirt with, and failing.

She’s absolutely vile.

• Sick
  • Wow
Reactions: 43
But is hooch/moonshine considered special? Isn't it just really crap horrible alcohol that americans made illegally during the prohibition?
Exactly - how is it special? It was made in outbuildings and backwood locations and probably stripped the guts. We’re not talking fine brandy fermented from a monk’s tears 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 22
I looked through £20 shop and was genuinely bewildered and not a little concerned at what she was feeding to her son and encouraging others struggling financially to eat. I'm vegan and skint and I'd never waste money buying, say, tinned beans. Why not buy dried beans, cook them yourself and spend the money you've saved on decent noodles, rather than the cheapest tit Asda can offer? Why buy that jar of sauce and the packet sauces, when you could make something with far more goodness in yourself? Why buy biscuits? Make your own. And so it goes on. Just because people are poor doesn't mean they're bleeping idiots or deserve to eat tit. Cooking beans, making sauces, baking biscuits... even if you can barely cook, these things are not difficult
I'm always bewildered by people buying ready-made sauces. They are very expensive and usually don't taste great. You can make a great satay sauce using peanut butter, soya sauce, chilli (flakes or a squeeze of chilli sauce), ginger (frozen is good) and garlic and a bit of water. Will it reach the heights of a more complex satay? No, of course not. But it's a simple sauce that can turn some stir fried veggies on a bowl of rice into a meal. Yes, the initial ingredients cost more than one sachet of satay sauce and I get that there might be a situation where you have empty cupboards and only a few quid, however, these are extreme situations that frankly we should fight against rather than provide survival tips for. No one should ever be in that situation in the first place.

If you get the peanut butter, soya sauce, chilli flakes and frozen garlic and ginger, you'll be able to use them to make many meals. I'd recommend anyone stock up on a few basic cooking ingredients over time to make tasty meals. You don't need millions of herbs and spices or oils and pastes, but a few that you like can really make a difference to a meal.

Ones that I use the most are
frozen ginger
frozen garlic
dried chilli flakes
siracha
miso paste
peanut butter
soya sauce
white wine vinegar
rapeseed oil
olive oil
mustard
frozen parsely
frozen coriander
turmeric
salt
pepper
ground coriander
ground cumin
fennel seeds

I'm lucky enough to have many more, but to be honest, I could whip up great meals with that list for ages. A rough calculation brings the above list to around £25 if buying budget lines/at Aldi/at my local Asian shop. The great thing though is that of course you'd never buy all of this at once. You'd set £2-3 aside each week for one or two of those items.

I'm sure it's been said before, but it's always useful to put good olive oil, a nice vinegar, a jar of mustard or a hot sauce and some nice spices into your foodbank donation box. It gives people to ability to not just eat, but eat something tasty.

Actually, it’s pretty standard for south Asian and other ethnic people to rinse their lentils. You rinse until the water is no longer cloudy. We also do the same with rice.
Yes, but before cooking, no?

• Heart
Reactions: 44
I wonder if at any point during the Dhansak Ransack she thought wtf am I doing with my life. I could be making a lovely sweet and sour veggie stir fry with this veg and pineapple, but instead I've got several pans on the go boiling shredded veg into submission, killing any nutritional value it had left.

I hope she had a moment of clarity, but I doubt it.
The mirror in the bedroom had the moment of clarity.
It's the only thing in the house at the moment that is sentient or remotely self-aware.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 30
Also with the yellow sticker foods, its unpredictable as to what is going to be left for end of day sales. No one can rely or meal plan on yellow sticker foods. It really does help no one. It's not that nutritious either especially the dead veg.
It might be what it cost her, but it's unlikely to be what it'll cost you. Same if she was basing recipe cost on time-limited special offers. Really, budget meals should be based on the full recommended price.

Reactions: 18
I need to let you all know about a suspiciously Jack experience I had last week...

I've recently moved away from the UK 🔺 so I am really enjoying getting to know new supermarkets, trying new stuff etc. However, my partner and I have been randomly craving fajitas made with those spice mix packets. We found something similar in a local supermarket one evening and thought we would give it a whirl.

Fraus, I think Jack definitely did her 'consultancy' for supermarkets here. The spice mix was a ground up stock cube with #lotsofblackpepper. It was exactly like something she would suggest for #letdownlarder. Got all the ingredients for fajitas, but none of the spices? Just use an old stock cube with #lotsofblackpepper

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 40
She has the look of a sulky teenager who's been made to stay after class to write lines.
Love how she’s got her arms round her blank A4 pad ‘don’t copy off me tattle!’
See she’s graduated from an old mobile phone to pen and paper! Wait till she finds out about Microsoft word!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 48
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.