Jack Monroe #78 All of your food is brown

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I completely agree with this, a friend of mineā€™s sister was a home economist/cook who work in sandwich development for a high street chain, I genuinely canā€™t remember who. Anyway these companies have teams that do this stuff, if they were paying a celeb then they want the brand of that celeb all over their products.

I always got the impression from my mate, and watching that programme about Greggs that itā€™s harder than you think to develop food for chains because there canā€™t be any variables across stores, you need to cost items, consider transport, regional variations etc *All my fab sandwich ideas where turned down #bitter

Saint Monroeā€™s usual slap dash bung some chickpeas in a curry is totally at odds with the role of creating food for a chain and it is bloody insulting to people who work in this trade to suggest it is simple and she can do it.
When I lived in the UK there used to be a TV show about people trying to get their products into supermarkets or high street chains.
A bit like Dragon's Den but for food. It's always stuck with me that it seemed to be seriously difficult with very, very, many, many hoops to jump through.

• Haha
Reactions: 17
I genuinely sit here reading her tweets with my mouth agape.

Can you imagine what is going on inside that head?

You tweet Marcus Rashford and suddenly Jack pops up like the Microsoft bleeping paperclip 'did you mean to tweet ME? Was this aimed at ME?'

duck off Jack! But while you're there can you set me up a spreadsheet? Thankyou
Microsoft paperclip!! Ah gold šŸ˜‚šŸ‘ŒSo true too, all the doggo/catto/brendas get completely ignored but if Marcus is tagged sheā€™s on it like a flash.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 34
She really needs to find another high profile media/food industry lesbian to lure in otherwise her professional future is looking very bleak indeed

• Haha
Reactions: 45
She really needs to find another high profile media/food industry lesbian to lure in otherwise her professional future is looking very bleak indeed
Plus the downside of absolutely raking it in is her quarterly VAT & a plethora of other taxes will be due soon šŸ˜‚ Likely whatā€™s causing the sudden frugality, think she hit this problem last year looking at her accounts.

• Haha
Reactions: 30
This sounds wonderful, do you have a recipe?
Ah, thank you. Itā€™s basically a bag of Quorn mince, 1 leek, 1 courgette, 2 carrots, 2 tins of tomatoes, mixed herbs, 1 tin of baked beans, 500ml of vegetable stock, vegetable granules to thicken, salt, garlic, a smidge of chilli flakes to taste and a reasonable amount of black pepper.

Slowly cook vegetables until softened, add garlic and chilli, add Quorn mince. Cook out for about 5 minutes then add tomatoes, mixed herbs and stock. Add seasonings to taste and granules to your preferred thickness. Sorry, not very good at writing down recipes as I usually just make them up as I go along.

I made a variation of this recipe up (sorry Jack) in 1996 when I left home for the first time and itā€™s been a mainstay ever since. I usually serve with mashed potatoes, perfect for how autumnal it was yesterday.

• Heart
Reactions: 27
Ā£10 for a moisturiser is hardly a stringent budget.
Aldi beauty products are cruelty free, mostly vegan and their moisturiser is around Ā£1.50. Superdrug has a cheap, fully vegan range. She's an idiot.

Reactions: 45
Sheā€™s realised that any further TV opportunities are few and far between after spunking the Ā£10,000+ she earned over lockdown, which would have been quite handy in a savings account right now. Still, at least she has a nice sideboard to lie on.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 38
Sheā€™s realised that any further TV opportunities are few and far between after spunking the Ā£10,000+ she earned over lockdown, which would have been quite handy in a savings account right now. Still, at least she has a nice sideboard to lie on.
Um I think youā€™re forgetting the groundbreaking avant garde YouTube cooking show that Jack bravely wrote, directed, starred in and edited all under the witness protection program

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 48
A zillion reasons why. Yeah, and we know what they are-scarf, Burberry jackets, sentient mirror, hammock, pizza oven, sideboards, air pods, water rower, phones etc etc.
Also thought she bought things like the Burberry coats so she could flog them later if she wanted cash? What you waiting for jack? If youā€™re slyly inferring that you canā€™t afford basics like bus fare & moisturiser you could do that-or use some of the money from your ā€˜bestselling booksā€™, work as a ā€˜food consultantā€™, tip jar, patreon etc?
All that twee, flowery language & she acts as though she doesnā€™t understand the implied meanings of her tweets-namely that people just swallow the image of urchin Jack & bung her more cash to spend on shite.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 36
Sheā€™s setting herself up for another beg.

What has she actually done? I know she reels off a long list of her activism efforts, but what has she achieved?
Donated (at her followers expense) some books to food banks, but can any of these receivers say that her books have actually been helpful for them in their situation? Would it not have been better to donate money or food instead? Or actually work long term to finding a way into government to combat some of the issues that results in food poverty? Like that man has campaigned long term for better school meals and Marcus is now campaigning to help support low income families, but what has Jack done except twit about on twitter? There seem to be more articles written about her than her mission. Her projects donā€™t always align with the big picture... what is she actually doing to warrant being so up her own arse?

Ets - AND of sheā€™s so passionate about poverty how could she really spunk all her money on fancy items? If she has had that much disposable income why not use it to ensure sheā€™s comfortable in life and not terrified of being in poverty again? Or she could donate cash herself to help people?

How many tins of beans could you buy instead of a Ā£400 hammock?
itā€™s like the vegan thing? Once you become vegan for ethical reasons you couldnā€™t go back to eating animal products, especially poor quality ones. You just couldnā€™t, your morals wouldnā€™t allow you to.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 55
I still can't believe that she uses wikipedia for researching a supposedly serious, hard hitting book on politics, economics and social policy. I don't even let my teenagers use wikipedia for essays. Why would a political commentator of her exalted caliber use wikipedia? Maybe the miraculous burberry scarf has restricted blood flow to her brain? I and the other political prisoners are very disappointed in her.
Wikipedia is a good starting point if you want a basic gist of a topic you dont know anything about, plus their reference lists are normally quite useful for links to studies and such (especially if its one of the highly locked down and well moderated subjects, wikipedia isnt as much of a wild west as it used to be sadly/thankfully) but its absolutely just that - the very STARTING point of getting info on a topic.

She should have read those on day one then started her proper actual research. This book is going to be terrible, i hope she delays it to do the research needed to do the topic justice. Otherwise it will just be overly simple, often wrong/unable to back up its point, and at least 50% fiction where jackie gets autobiographical. I find that a great deal more offensive than a sloppy cookbook :(

• Heart
Reactions: 33
FCD16934-6E98-4512-A741-AE8833C3D314.jpeg

People are still offering her things and sheā€™s ever so sanctimoniously telling them to give them away and she would hate to think of things going to her instead of others.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 36
View attachment 255828
People are still offering her things and sheā€™s ever so sanctimoniously telling them to give them away and she would hate to think of things going to her instead of others.
why on earth would squiggle want money saving hacks from someone who has published 6 books, appeared on TV, had a food column in the guardian yet still can apparently only afford to live off of eyelid sausages and smart price beans?!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 67
I would actually have some respect for her if she said ā€œpeople your offers to buy me stuff is (very very) incredibly kind, but listen up, Iā€™m actually good for money at the moment, I can afford stuff but Iā€™m just trying to be a bit frugal and budget. I know many of you are in a much more difficult financial situation than me. For those who arenā€™t I think your money would be better put to use at a food bank. That would make me feel so much better.ā€

Instead she infers sheā€™s poor for ā€œmany reasonsā€ and like the little street urchin martyr she likes to portray sheā€™s like ā€œdonā€™t worry about poor old me not having stuff, just give food to food banks in my honour, Iā€™ll manage to limp along, I may die of hunger but I know (many many) will be saved as a result of my sufferingā€

Sheā€™s done this because nobody on her list of celebrity helpers is begging and pleading poverty like she does and she recognises she has done zero for the cause so this is her gift šŸ™„ forgoing gifts from deluded fans. Reminds me of the big TV charity shows like children in need when manager of Tesco store Stoke comes on with a big cheque and they say ā€œTesco store Stoke donates Ā£xā€. No fuxkers your customers donated whilst they also lined your pockets buying your products!
Soz for rant!
Insufferable twit!

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 64
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.