Jack Monroe #77 Further into the depths of culinary depravity

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Surely the final paragraph of that press release points to Bad Food for Good Days as the second book (published 2020; same format as Tin Can't Cook)?
Seems like we all forgot about that one. She never mentions it and barely promoted it when it was published either. Wonder what the sales figures were like?

• Haha
Reactions: 30
Surely the final paragraph of that press release points to Bad Food for Good Days as the second book (published 2020; same format as Tin Can't Cook)?
Completely forgot she published a book this year she barely even mentioned it herself!

Seems like we all forgot about that one. She never mentions it and barely promoted it when it was published either. Wonder what the sales figures were like?
Snap! So these upcoming books are some new deal then

• Haha
Reactions: 23
Popping up from lurkdom to say hello Fraus. And Thankyou for the laughs and the incisive wit and investigation. This photo makes me wonder if Allegra had an anonymity clause on photos of her child as her frying pan dies cover the girl’s eyes. Or was it a coincidence?
tit, I did a chaos and spelt “Thank you”and does completely wrong. Can’t edit, sorry, I’ve been on the 0.5% kombucha all evening and am feeling a bit tipsy

• Haha
Reactions: 30
It's weird that she doesn't feature that book on her website (which badly needs updating, as does her Wikipedia).

Reactions: 10
‘Cheapo’. Keep aiming for that deal. View attachment 253724
Most sweet and sour sauce is based on ketchup, not tinned tomatoes. Ketchup, sugar, vinegar, and a bit of soy. Tinned pineapple is definitely a good addition. You don't even need half a tin, so you can drink the juice, and use the rest for something else. Cheap as to make, and stuff most people have in

Reactions: 21
Most sweet and sour sauce is based on ketchup, not tinned tomatoes. Ketchup, sugar, vinegar, and a bit of soy. Tinned pineapple is definitely a good addition. You don't even need half a tin, so you can drink the juice, and use the rest for something else. Cheap as to make, and stuff most people have in
Exactly! Tomatoes still haven't gained much traction in Chinese cooking.
I remember my mother-in-law's sweet and sour chicken, gloopy and sticky with cornflour and tinned pineapple. That was back in the 70s/80s and still a lot tastier* than Jaqui's version I'll bet.

*It was rank. She was a lovely woman, fab baker, but terrible cook!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 10
have you ever watched a Sandra Lee video? I watch them to cheer myself up sometimes. She also likes very strong cocktails but she is also an amazingly bad cook and I love it

When Jack turned all-American MOM and started trying to appeal to her new Yank audience (such as it was), part of me was hoping she'd end up doing a collaboration with Sandra just to witness the absolute culinary car crash that would have ensued.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 16
I am not sure why her looming 'book' is what has drawn me out of lurkerdom but duck me I cannot quite grasp that her research is just looking at the most basic of websites. A first year uni student will be doing more research into their first essay than she is doing for this. I cannot wait to read the reviews if - and it's a big if - this ever gets published.
Nobody should dare criticise it. Don't they know that she wrote this working 20 hours a day but also while sleeping all day due to severe burnout and it's a miracle it got finished at all because of how unwell she's been? And don't they realise that she's helping people?

• Haha
Reactions: 25
Currently sitting at 34 in the Big South American River's "Best Sellers in Quick and Easy Cooking" list. Embarrasingly this is 5 below "Tin Can't Cook", but shockingly it's one above Shivi's "The Ice Kitchen" :eek:. (THAT MAN occupies slots 5. 12 and 14 in the top 20.)

• Wow
Reactions: 19
Absolutely, same, babe, and everything else to all of this! It’s Twitter and identity politics that has allowed for this, there’s no way to verify back stories on Twitter so these people have been able to get away with it. The thing is now people are noticing & happy to speak on it - one girl’s Instagram stories took down JJ, this Frances girl gets ripped a new one (admittedly largely by the niche circle of Vice adjacent freelance journalists lol), these fake African American white women are making international press.

It’s honestly only a matter of time before Jackie’s dubious origins story comes into question. Her dad’s own press coverage will be a cornerstone of her undoing, hilariously. If she had any sense she’d step away from the working class THEN and focus on the fake John Lewis loyalty points accruing pauper NOW to avoid such a mortifying social crucifixion. An interesting thread on Frances for intrigued fraus:

God, this lady is like academic Jack.

She's trying to act as though she's being mansplained at but as people are saying on the Twitter thread, she's actually trying to avoid showing her ignorance through discussion by simply claiming expertise via having a degree.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Should we all goand watch GFFBD being pulped? 😂😂

Jack’s been up stalking retweeting Marcus Rashford and sharing other thoughts.
DAD3EC56-2595-4A85-98C7-CCEFA2278AEA.jpeg

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 34
Wonder does Jack ever get through a singular day without mentioning

a) that she's autistic and/or ADHD
b) that she's ex fire service
c) an item she has but it's donkeys old/was a gift/is secondhand/was from a charity shop

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 63
Wonder does Jack ever get through a singular day without mentioning

a) that she's autistic and/or ADHD
b) that she's ex fire service
c) an item she has but it's donkeys old/was a gift/is secondhand/was from a charity shop
d) she rents her house.

• Haha
Reactions: 60
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.