Jack Monroe #77 Further into the depths of culinary depravity

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Theres's a charity shop near me that thinks any kind of cast iron is le creuset and usually has £30 stuck on a battered and dirty sainsburys/lidl/Aldi griddle pan. Did she shite pay pennies or a few quid from a charity shop, they were from John Lewis 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 19
She’s deleted some tweets but i’m too tired and disinterested to investigate. It’s not the cat balaclava at least.

• Haha
Reactions: 26
Genuinely sorry to correct you in this but lack of empathy is not an autism trait.People with autism are capable of great empathy , but the feelings can be overwhelming. She’s just a selfish fucker.
She definitely is a selfish fucker, and her lack of empathy is more to do with other issues she has in my opinion.

But lack of awareness or understanding of other people's thoughts or feelings (so, empathy) is a characteristic of autism. I totally agree that people with autism are capable of showing and DO show great empathy, but struggling with empathy is classified as a characteristic (trait) so they are not wrong.

What bothers me about Jack is I feel she’s co-opted something that makes so many people’s lives difficult, to explain her appalling behaviour. The people I have in my personal and work life who suffer with ASD are never as calculating and conniving as this. It’s a type of neurotypical/able-ist appropriation.

Reactions: 26
So she had the hostage look even then....

And you make pastry with cold butter. If you're using lard then you make a hot water crust. I only watched 15 seconds so happy to be corrected.
The best pastry is made with half cold butter, half cold lard as it makes the pastry short

Reactions: 15
I've never heard of tbis Frances Weetman but oh my god thankyou for bringing her to light @heretoreaditall2019 ! What a colossal bellend. Knew so many like her at university! And so many non academic types who claimed working class heritage as a "vibe" too. One girl whose house was so big and old it was open to the public and legit had a gift shop but said she was ostracised as a pauper at university cos her boarding school fees were partial scholarship 🙄 Another who said she was working class because she worked in a shop on her gap year (Thailand/Full Moon Party/sedated tigers vibe).

Does anyone remember those wet ham slices that were reformed to look like teddy bears?! Makes me feel ill just thinking about them now.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 31
She’s twittering away again. Just a taste. View attachment 254247View attachment 254248
How bloody good are the charity shops in Southend?! I'd love to know where she's finding this stuff. Can see the crappy bungalow is worth it's rent for the prime charity shop location 🤑 The ones by me typically have some PAT-tested blood pressure monitoring kit, St Michael bobbly t shirts that some poor old dear probably died in and Missguided fast fashion cast offs. And I suppose if you're really lucky, half a set of chipped royal albert crockery.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 52
What happened to her?
These look decent and would be good for a Boxing Day leftover meal... why is everything slop now?

the only thing I thought was weird was taking the butter and lard out of fridge before mixing in. My mum always told me to chill the butter as easier to crumble in with the flour.....
Your mum was absolutely correct. Also, put your hands under cold water before you start mixing, you’ll get amazing pastry that way.

Reactions: 15
Just for reference:

ASDA lard costs 0,39 for 250g.
ASDA cheapest oil is 1,09 for 1l.

Even that cheap oil is going to be more versatile than the lard, as it won't impart...shall we say, unwanted flavours while frying. You could also use it baking muffins, which are usually made with oil not butter. Plus, as cooking fats are usually substituted 1:1, the oil works out cheaper in the long term...

...and IT'S NOT bleeping LARD.

(yes, I know Jack always claims that she's thinking of people who only have 39p, not 1,09, but in that case, put the manky sugary cereal bars and assorted maize snacks back, no?)

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 36
How many bleeping books have been commissioned and who is this mad person commissioning them?
07E3B007-A82A-405B-9922-CE8234850B9F.jpeg

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 56
How many bleeping books have been commissioned and who is this mad person commissioning them?
View attachment 254255
It’s me.

It's odd phrasing. I thought books were written under contract, not "commissioned"??? I am not a writer but I have friends who are ... never heard them use this expression.

Happy to be corrected by those who know more ...
Depends if the ‘writer’ has delusions of grandeur.
‘Commissioned’ is more for television writing, no @Emmapism ?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 38
If I were the publisher, I’d be very concerned about this “book”. I doubt they will have the budget for a full fact check on this. It has the potential to be a huge embarrassment for them.
Serves them right to be honest. If they're just commissioning any old crap, it hardly smacks of a professional company.

Reactions: 22
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.